Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Can EmuDeck settings be cloud saved or transferred? I want to set up my Deck as a backup emulation machine but I'm also planning on getting the OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I know this might be a files type of question:

I really want to play Marvel vs Capcom 2 on my Steam Deck, I originally own both the Dreamcast version and the Xbox 360 Arcade HD version. Is there a way I can access my Xbox profile and download it to my Deck this way or is this overly complicated? Is it possible to play it online? If it this is getting into weird poo poo territory I apologize.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’ll have to :filez: the game. You can check the compatibility list for your emulator for how it runs I’d imagine

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wouldn’t it be infinitely easier to use the Dreamcast version and find a save file with all the characters unlocked?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wouldn’t it be infinitely easier to use the Dreamcast version and find a save file with all the characters unlocked?

Yeah this. At least on PC I just have Demul and downloaded the EEPROM with everything unlocked

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I guess my idea of the 360 version is more for the online if that was even possible.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The only way to play the 360 version would also be an emulator because the steam deck is not an Xbox of any stripe

360 emulation sucks on most every platform already so it wouldn’t be worth the hassle, and there’d be no online regardless

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 12, 2023

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Is there an emulator you all recommend/version of the game that would be best to play for simple 1v1 or arcade?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't know what happened to my steam deck but some games which were previously working now just go to a black screen. I went in to desktop mode to check something out but Zl no longer works as a left mouse click so I cannot actually interact with anything there.

I checked controller settings and did a test, all buttons work. Controller configuration shows exactly the buttons I expect for desktop mode

If I'm in desktop mode and hold the steam button it will bring up the desktop version of the steam program, and the mouse buttons work in there and in that application alone! The only way out of some of my apps is a hard power off.

Everything was working yesterday and no updates have been downloaded, I'm on stable release only

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rolo posted:

Can EmuDeck settings be cloud saved or transferred? I want to set up my Deck as a backup emulation machine but I'm also planning on getting the OLED.

Russ just put his OLED video out and says he just moved the SD card, ran the Emudeck installer and it kept all his settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FspKHot0Ckk

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

what's the best/easiest way people are syncing emudeck games/saves/etc between machines? I would very much like to be able to play either on my desktop or steam deck with unified experience if possible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One of the other big reviewers said that the steam deck is right now hands down the best device for streaming with this new screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tried giving my deck a clean reboot but it's just stuck on shutting down steam now.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Tried giving my deck a clean reboot but it's just stuck on shutting down steam now.
You can hold the power button down for ten seconds to force a full shut down.

Sometimes things get funky if you go a long time without powering down. I haven't experienced it with the Deck since I don't use sleep mode, but it definitely happens with my phone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tatsuta Age posted:

what's the best/easiest way people are syncing emudeck games/saves/etc between machines? I would very much like to be able to play either on my desktop or steam deck with unified experience if possible.

There’s an option in EmuDeck to back up saves to Dropbox or Google Drive or a few other cloud systems. Though you’d then need EmuDeck Windows which is still a Patreon paid thing to pull those down easily

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

Russ just put his OLED video out and says he just moved the SD card, ran the Emudeck installer and it kept all his settings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FspKHot0Ckk

That’s awesome. Also yay new Russ video. I’m addicted.

Man, deck is great.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Looks like they updated steamOS to show how much space the shaders are taking up, but still no official way to clear em?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tatsuta Age posted:

I think you’re hosed on this. At best you can export/import saves relatively seamlessly but you won’t be able to keep it unified I don’t think

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Bad news everyone, the new case does not have a pull tab. How will we be able to get our devices out of the case now? :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FspKHot0Ckk&t=108s

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh I know this one, fastball it into the wall and watch the case and Deck separate

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If you install RetroArch through Steam both on your PC and the deck, is your save data stored on Steam's cloud?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

BoldFace posted:

If you install RetroArch through Steam both on your PC and the deck, is your save data stored on Steam's cloud?

Not done it myself but apparently yes:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1118310/view/4645982290506568438

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

BoldFace posted:

yes! my Pokemon FireRed saves will there whenever I choose to reinstall, which is never, because gently caress RetroArch.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I had a phone get burn in from the awful app

Well, there *was* a big fat warning right there in the name of the program...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They should have added a little poke through thing so you can charge it in the case if they were gonna refresh the case

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

They should have added a little poke through thing so you can charge it in the case if they were gonna refresh the case

It would have been enough if they had changed the case layout so that the deck's charging port was facing the zipper side.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Still a terrible idea

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The deck really does need an extra usbc port

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The deck really does need an extra usbc port

Yeah one at the top and bottom would go a long way

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Still a terrible idea

Why?

I’m not talking about a big hole you can stick the cable through, I’m thinking at most one of those little rubberised stretchy deals under a little strip of elasticated fabric so you can push the cable through to plug it in and then if you’re not charging it the fabric sits flush and still stops tiny pieces of bullshit getting into the case.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I want to say it's a bad idea because of heat in an enclosed space, but I don't know how realistic of a concern that actually is

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why?

I’m not talking about a big hole you can stick the cable through, I’m thinking at most one of those little rubberised stretchy deals under a little strip of elasticated fabric so you can push the cable through to plug it in and then if you’re not charging it the fabric sits flush and still stops tiny pieces of bullshit getting into the case.

Heat and the dumbasses that forget to put it to sleep who end up cooking their device in the case.

Lenovo actually did this with their case and everyone said definitely not to use it (mostly because windows has a nasty habit of waking up when plugged in) because of the potential heat buildup.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Heat and the dumbasses that forget to put it to sleep who end up cooking their device in the case.

Lenovo actually did this with their case and everyone said definitely not to use it (mostly because windows has a nasty habit of waking up when plugged in) because of the potential heat buildup.

Yeah if you leave it turned on then that’s on you, I just wanna charge my steam deck when it’s been turned off after I’m done using it on the battery while it’s nice and safe in its case instead of out in the elements attached to a cable someone could snag and launch it across the room with.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The steam deck, like every modern device, can control its charging and its temp. If the temp gets too high, shut down the charging until its OK again.

Its not super tough

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

:shrug: I imagine it is the same reason we don't see downloads while in sleep mode.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Which also should be a solvable problem with the same variables.

valve!! :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Do the other PC gaming handhelds allow for downloads in sleep mode?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

do other pc gaming handhelds even have sleep mode lol

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Most of them are Windows-based, so not really. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

do other pc gaming handhelds even have sleep mode lol

No so no lol

And yes they do randomly wake up and reboot while plugged in.

It’s awesome.