Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

It was cool when you ran your dwarf with dudes head to the pit in Myth and there was an in-game and animated cutscene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I liked that OG Fallout had animated faces that would jaw at you, and I liked that they all looked super hosed up

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like inventory weight, especially currency weight.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

super sweet best pal posted:

Same, but inventory management needs to be good. Any game really if messing with the inventory is clunky and I have to do a lot of it, it goes into the dumpster.

Valheim is a good example of this. It's a genre I love, but the inventory system is bare bones and you gotta interact with it nonstop. Big nope.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

It's fine, but stop me picking an item up rather than have me move like RoboCop because I'm just going to go in there and drop 40 bones or 27 short swords or an iron ball I accidently picked up either way.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i can't possibly imagine a reason why anyone would like currency weight or inventory weight. Suddenly moving slowly and then having to deal with the logistical task of inventory management while I'm inside of a dungeon trying to loot and kick rear end can't possibly be enjoyable. Resident Evil grid system is the only good one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't believe in inventories

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just playing the beautifully crafted 2D magic that is Super Mario Wonder and it leads me to this opinion - all you need to enjoy great videogaming is a good PC and a Switch. Everything else is superfluous.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

smellmycheese posted:

Just playing the beautifully crafted 2D magic that is Super Mario Wonder and it leads me to this opinion - all you need to enjoy great videogaming is a good PC and a Switch. Everything else is superfluous.

There are like 4 games that you can play on a PS5 or whatever the gently caress the current Xbox is called but not on a PC, so I'm not sure why you'd even own those things.

Remember that the new Final Fantasy released awhile back? That thing sure came and went.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Occasionally it's nice to lie back on a big comfy sofa playing the PS5 on a massive TV imo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

Still has lives, still doesn't let you reprogram the jump button, terrible boss fights.

That said, lol at getting any platformer this good on other systems because apparently we can't get new spyro games

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

The Moon Monster posted:

Remember that the new Final Fantasy released awhile back? That thing sure came and went.

Hey lets copy the combat system from a different popular game series but make it a whole lot shittier

And lets make every character sad and boring

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe they'll get it right with FF17

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

People crying about not being able to remap Nintendo buttons is one of the most tedious tropes in gaming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

smellmycheese posted:

People crying about not being able to remap Nintendo buttons is one of the most tedious tropes in gaming.

Maybe they should git gud?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

maybe developers should catapult themselves forward into the early 90s and allow remapping

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I wish I could play a new game without the entire internet knowing every last hidden detail for 3 months prior to release

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like super mario wonder, but I don't love it.

Or I love super mario wonder but I don't like it.

I can't tell which. I do know that I don't think it is very fun like most mario games are fun.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I like how Nintendo is lazy with their animation development for a whole decade, then finally upgrades them to great applause, as if they couldn't have done that poo poo all along.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I like super mario wonder, but I don't love it.

Or I love super mario wonder but I don't like it.

I can't tell which. I do know that I don't think it is very fun like most mario games are fun.

I played it back to back with 3d world using three player couch multiplayer and I think 3d world is much more "Mario"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm confused. You can remap the jump button in the new mario. The same way you've been able to in darn near every 2d mario for decades. It's not full on custom remapping, but you can absolutely adjust the controls between b run - a jump and the the super mario world config.

Caesar Saladin posted:

i can't possibly imagine a reason why anyone would like currency weight or inventory weight. Suddenly moving slowly and then having to deal with the logistical task of inventory management while I'm inside of a dungeon trying to loot and kick rear end can't possibly be enjoyable. Resident Evil grid system is the only good one.

There have been all of a handful of games that use it well where it feels like a deliberate choice in what I bring rather than a restriction on what I can pick up. In 99% of them it just feels bad to be told I can't pick something up. Especially in any game that has crafting(tm) so the world is flooded with junk items of unknown utility. For it to work you need to be working with small inventory sizes and few, if any, pick ups. I'd say if you ignore all the progression items taking up space, resident evil did it pretty well

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

So many terrible gameplay decisions are justified by someone going "but it wouldn't be realistic if we did this!"

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

So many terrible gameplay decisions are justified by someone going "but it wouldn't be realistic if we did this!"

I want to hug the Fromsoft devs for making whether or not I have a torch in my hand or a lantern on my belt completely irrelevant to stealth. Not even the slightest bit realistic, but not having to put that poo poo away every time I want to sneak around is wonderful.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I want to hug the Fromsoft devs for making whether or not I have a torch in my hand or a lantern on my belt completely irrelevant to stealth. Not even the slightest bit realistic, but not having to put that poo poo away every time I want to sneak around is wonderful.

Lol games shouldn't have stealth anyone who likes stealth shouldn't be allowed to play games let alone work on them.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I also want to choke them though

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I also want to choke them though

I'll allow for a 2 game a year exception but only if the stealth doesn't really matter and is only for rad take down animations. I am such a fair and just leader.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

razamataza posted:

Occasionally it's nice to lie back on a big comfy sofa playing the PS5 on a massive TV imo

You misspelled PC

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

itry posted:

Maybe they'll get it right with FF17

Ironically, FF15 is the one they're all copying since that's the basis for the engine. FF15 got screwed hard by management so it was never even finished. Then for the sequel they toned the mobility of the combat down in favor of rampant QTE's like it was the early 2000's all over again.

People that bought 15 were also promised full modding tools and a new storyline in DLC and instead they got a model swapper (the level editor and other stuff never materialized, which was literally blatant false advertising they put in the sales details in the PC version and in interviews with the staff. How they didn't get the poo poo sued out of them for that is beyond me.) and only received the bad ending of the game in the base game with a half finished DLC storyline leading up to the main expansion that should have occurred.

It also started the sad character cliche if the next game is to be observed. Which is ironic, since the post shutdown material indicated this was only a thing if you played along with what all the higher powers told you to do in the original script. Going "gently caress this, the people above me are monsters and morons." netted you the good ending where you got a full party that was more than an edgy k-pop boy band with a variety of characters along with an expanded world and gameplay.

Unsurprisingly a lot of people dipped on the sequel after all the lies leaving people that thought 16 was good and totally not a step back. :shrug:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 12, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

My Time At Sandrock lets you access your entire boxed inventory through any box in your workshop, and all commissions and item requests can be automatically pulled from boxes. You're never sitting in your inventory just futzing around shuffling item icons around and it's so clear how fucknig little inventory management has added to other games in the genre. For games like, it's just a lack of game design handling invetory shunted onto the player as some halfass poo poo-gameplay.

Some games do make use of it but they are rare exceptions. Death Stranding is the ultimate evolution of inventory management as gameplay and it owned.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Archonex posted:

Ironically, FF15 is the one they're all copying since that's the basis for the engine. FF15 got screwed hard by management so it was never even finished. Then for the sequel they toned the mobility of the combat down in favor of rampant QTE's like it was the early 2000's all over again.

People that bought 15 were also promised full modding tools and a new storyline in DLC and instead they got a model swapper (the level editor and other stuff never materialized, which was literally blatant false advertising they put in the sales details in the PC version and in interviews with the staff. How they didn't get the poo poo sued out of them for that is beyond me.) and only received the bad ending of the game in the base game with a half finished DLC storyline leading up to the main expansion that should have occurred.

It also started the sad character cliche if the next game is to be observed. Which is ironic, since the post shutdown material indicated this was only a thing if you played along with what all the higher powers told you to do in the original script. Going "gently caress this, the people above me are monsters and morons." netted you the good ending where you got a full party that was more than an edgy k-pop boy band with a variety of characters along with an expanded world and gameplay.

Unsurprisingly a lot of people dipped on the sequel after all the lies leaving people that thought 16 was good and totally not a step back. :shrug:

What was the last mainline FF that was received mostly negatively, though? It seems like, no matter what they make, the brand name alone is enough to sell millions of copies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The last several FF games had really forgettable characters and it's been a long time I could recognize an FF game by one of its party members. I guess ffx was the last time they made an iconic cast.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You misspelled PC

Hey if people have a setup where they can play PC games while reclining on a couch then fair enough. My gaming PC is in another room so it's consoles in the living room for me

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

itry posted:

What was the last mainline FF that was received mostly negatively, though? It seems like, no matter what they make, the brand name alone is enough to sell millions of copies.

FF14 sold well but experienced so much overwhelming backlash that Square issued an official apology, temporarily dropped all subscription fees, and fired the whole dev team.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gently caress yeah optimizing carry weight, especially when there's some Tetris in there too

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love when games have an epilepsy warning and it says something like "If you've experienced seizures from flashing lights, consult your doctor before playing this game"

Going to your doctor and asking for permission to play the new Yakuza game

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

And speaking of the new Yakuza game why does Kiryu have spiderman webslingers now

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

deep dish peat moss posted:

I love when games have an epilepsy warning and it says something like "If you've experienced seizures from flashing lights, consult your doctor before playing this game"

Going to your doctor and asking for permission to play the new Yakuza game

He looks at u assessing your Yakuza status then silently slides you a 360 controller across the desk

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

backpack hero is good though

itry
Aug 23, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

FF14 sold well but experienced so much overwhelming backlash that Square issued an official apology, temporarily dropped all subscription fees, and fired the whole dev team.

I memory holed the MMO's. Although FF14 is still alive and well, so I guess it all turned out ok in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I asked my doctor if I was allowed to play Yakuza but he kicked my rear end for being uninsured.