Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Zodium posted:

and that hatred produces support for israel. that's why the likud strategy of conflating zionism and judaism works. the anti-semitic guy saw a star of david necklace in the gym changing room and assumed the wearer was a zionist based on that, then called him jødesvin (a pretty serious danish slur against jewish people) as he was leaving, and thus he will be leaving for israel because that's the only place he can feel safe to wear a star of david in public. as far as anything this article reports goes, netanyahu could not have asked for a better result. it's a textbook case of how conflating zionism and judaism produces support for israel, but the article doesn't itself conflate the two.

do you actually believe this anonymously published anecdote from a private biased danish citizen?

let’s say it was true. obviously it could be— how is a random danish racist making a comment giving Netanyahu exactly what he wants? do you think that even if antisemitism were on the rise that their actions in Gaza would be justified?

I think you’re twisting yourself into knots trying to say the right words while responding to propaganda and that’s probably closer to what the western disinformation campaign wants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Regarde Aduck posted:

let this post be a little warning to others: this is why you should take breaks from the thread now and again

Sorry, but I'm built different (not a racist.)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

RedSky posted:

Providing the rationale for the GWOT is good actually

victims aren’t responsible for atrocities visited upon them no matter how many flimsy justifications are manufactured. nothing about the event was a reasonable rationale for the GWOT. quit using fascist language

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

putin looks like dubya in that cartoon

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zodium posted:

quote:

good stuff

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense, it's just so incredibly enraging to see media outlets parroting stuff that make absolutely no sense without any pushback or criticism.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.
"Just hold on a minute, let me pull out my rape manual"
loving hell lmao

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1723759157960953981?t=EzjokSD5I9aHxH1miqkv0A&s=19

It also seems that Israel isn't great with Hebrew since "Torid" is the MALE version of "pull down", or maybe they intentionally wrote it slightly wrong to make it seem authentic or whatever.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Vomik posted:

do you think that even if antisemitism were on the rise that their actions in Gaza would be justified?

:goofy:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sancho Banana posted:

loving hell lmao

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1723759157960953981?t=EzjokSD5I9aHxH1miqkv0A&s=19

It also seems that Israel isn't great with Hebrew since "Torid" is the MALE version of "pull down", or maybe they intentionally wrote it slightly wrong to make it seem authentic or whatever.

it's not even arabic grammar correct and isnt even the word for pants and isnt even using feminine wording lol.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Sancho Banana posted:

loving hell lmao

maybe it's for that general they captured

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

blessed

holy gently caress, blessed

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1723765792100036818

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

maybe it's for that general they captured

Unnecessary, his pants dropped on their own from the weight of the poo poo he took upon seeing opponents who weren't unarmed children.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

I can't vouch for the accuracy but:

https://twitter.com/SLCLunk/status/1723738249141899317?t=INh1KohGrAaRvtr2HLGaDA&s=19

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Sancho Banana posted:

loving hell lmao

it’s like watching a child try to do misdirection magic tricks for the first time, except horrifying and incredibly racist.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Vomik posted:

victims aren’t responsible for atrocities visited upon them no matter how many flimsy justifications are manufactured. nothing about the event was a reasonable rationale for the GWOT. quit using fascist language

No poo poo.

Edit: If you saw the two posts above the one you quoted it may recontextualise what I said, which was a flippant shitpost.

Go for a walk or something you'll feel better.

RedSky has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Nov 12, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Sancho Banana posted:

loving hell lmao

lmfao

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lol why would they put the baby on the “evil” side

like you’re not supposed to actually say that part!

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

lol imagine putting the bbc on the side of good

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Blaisedell posted:

lol imagine putting the bbc on the side of good

I think the cartoonist is saying all reporters are evil and must be killed for having eyes that witness things.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

did he mean to draw the idf guy as a 12 year old child soldier

happytrees
May 1, 2002
yar

Pookah posted:

I'm only an idiot on the internet, but the whole idea that there's a Hamas megabase under the hospital is completely insane and illogical (I know, I know, like all Israeli propaganda).
Like, it appears to be the only place the IOF knows the actual layout of the underground bunkers, because they built the drat things.
Why the hell would you set-up your super-secret base in one of the few places your enemies have the loving building plans for?

All this poo poo is driving me nuts, it's so drat transparently false.

Apparently there are offices of like, actual government officials there:
https://twitter.com/ytirawi/status/1722759373640945996?s=20
IOF is obviously too cowardly to go into any tunnels to look for Hamas military command, but stuff like the head of the "hamas run health-ministry" seems like the kind of stuff that they will muddy the waters about enough to claim a kind of win.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Desiderata posted:

I remember watching and liking Waltz with Bashir, finding it a good exploration of suppressed memory, and the way it builds up to the massacre the end such a gut punch, and really powerful.

But watching those clips right now in this context, it's clear that what the film actually shows is hours of the IDF "goofing up" in all the damage they cause, including to one another, all the horror is played for dark laughs, with cheap references to cool hollywood action movie scenes, and 'oh poor us' innocents at war. As much as this mirrors the protagonist-documentarians experience of making the film, the memories of the war being uncovered, comedy giving way to tragedy: the end result is a few hours of "isn't life tough in the IDF" followed by, oh and there was this one terrible massacre (done by others). It really is just "shooting and crying", and belated realisation that you engaged in a war crime, isn't absolved by spending an solid hour of film talking about how bad things were for your buddies, before your final limited confession.

Like Ken Burn's Vietnam - it tells important parts of the story previously undertold, it tells things that people should hear. But it also because of who it was made by, because of the audience it was made for, it still can't bring itself to tell the full truth of the pointless horror committed were not "begun in good faith", but cold, calculated, uncaring. In the end withdraws to a liberal "mistakes were made", but ultimately the lessons will never be learned, oh well. It's still not the truth, just all the truth a reactionary audience can hear right now, even decades later. But it still doesn't truly let it's victims speak on par with the perpetrators, it can't, because that is not it's purpose.

I wonder what award winning documentaries will be made in 20 years time, revealing a smoothed off 50% blurred version of the current horrors as if they are insightful journalism, about the events, the lies, the cruelty, the backroom bargaining over massdeath, we in this thread already know are happening right now. One of the strangest things I find as I am getting older is having the past that I remember and lived through massaged into more palatable shapes for consumption today. Being told "this is what people thought in 2001" and remembering for a fact, that no, not everyone thought like that, all these facts were there at the time. Those weren't regrettable mistakes viewable in 20/20 hindsight, but active malignant decisions with the likely consequences and vital information available as they were taken to any member of the public if one cared to look. But now I get told, "we didn't know better back then", the past gets to be an eternal series of mistakes, with the meaningless admonishment that we should learn from them, but at the very same time we are told over and over again: the choices in the present are not allowed to be choices at all.

Good post.

Ba5ic
Nov 12, 2023

by VG

Pookah posted:

I'm only an idiot on the internet, but the whole idea that there's a Hamas megabase under the hospital is completely insane and illogical (I know, I know, like all Israeli propaganda).
Like, it appears to be the only place the IOF knows the actual layout of the underground bunkers, because they built the drat things.
Why the hell would you set-up your super-secret base in one of the few places your enemies have the loving building plans for?

well, idiot on the internet, i can attempt to impart wisdom

what do you do when you're a small organization bent on armed resistance against a far more advanced adversary backed by foreign weapons? do you engage in open and fair conflict?

the question is important, because while israel is one of the least trustworthy actors in the region, they're nevertheless trying their best navigating around hamas tactics of using civilian infrastructure as defense because it works by applying huge amounts of international pressure on israel (and also maybe because israel does the same thing i,e Kirya in the middle of loving tel aviv), and israel knows this. this is why the concept of hasbara was invented. to combat narratives. it makes complete strategic and tactical sense for hamas to burrow underneath or next to highly sensitive targets to stave off a military response (because israel is a blood-thirsty Law and Order state that must react to any and all aggression lest their populace rises up in revolt like an addict forced to withdrawal). one of the most powerful forces currently in israeli society is the pretense of the "restrained logical western european", a retreated concept that demands a "reasonable response" to acts of aggression, but we all know it's just a facade. when you scratch the facade, like in 7/10, you force your opponent to reveal his hand. israel's deepest and most revered dream is for palestinians to just loving disappear. this, however, does not always translate to active policy and the conduct of its military.

this is why hamas overplayed their hand in 7/10. just like in american schools, standing up to a bully means both you and the bully get a time out, hamas decided to finally slam dunk their adversary in front of the whole world, and the response is what you'd expect. to anyone who was still struggling with the western world decidedly going pro-israel.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if israel shuts down all the hospitals, then they can't get in trouble for bombing hospitals anymore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

did he mean to draw the idf guy as a 12 year old child soldier

haven’t seen the plucky little Israel trope in a while

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

happytrees posted:

IOF is obviously too cowardly to go into any tunnels to look for Hamas military command, but stuff like the head of the "hamas run health-ministry" seems like the kind of stuff that they will muddy the waters about enough to claim a kind of win.

That is disgustingly plausible, and I should have made it a lot clearer that I was talking about Hamas's military wing as opposed to the other government departments.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

happytrees posted:

Gaza health ministry can't put out casualty numbers if there is no gaza health ministry

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hey is moving through a hospital slaughtering patients and doctors something that at one point was considered a really, really bad war crime? like the kind of war crime the united states claims it needs to be the world police to stop!?!??!?!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ba5ic posted:

this is why hamas overplayed their hand in 7/10. just like in american schools, standing up to a bully means both you and the bully get a time out, hamas decided to finally slam dunk their adversary in front of the whole world, and the response is what you'd expect. to anyone who was still struggling with the western world decidedly going pro-israel.

What'd they do in July?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

backwards date, some euro freak

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Al! posted:

hey is moving through a hospital slaughtering patients and doctors something that at one point was considered a really, really bad war crime? like the kind of war crime the united states claims it needs to be the world police to stop!?!??!?!

only when The Wrong People (brown ones that we don’t like) do it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Al! posted:

Only if the optics are good to do so yes.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Al! posted:

this is a war, and in a war bad things happen. you should blame Hamas for using the Red Crescent as a blue shield.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

doesnt the UN building signify the rest of the entire world?

so you've got eight people signifying, at most, eight countries (zelensky is surely there but you cant see him because hes standing behind the elf) vs everyone else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That Eli David guy was the one who tweeted out the video claiming the photojournalist was holding a grenade while riding with Hamas (was clearly the guy in front of him) and got a ton of traction to the point the Israelis officials were saying they were going to murder even more journalists.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Sancho Banana posted:

loving hell lmao

not gonna check to see if there's a hebrew version of the tweet but i'm gonna assume that it's for english speaking americans who don't know either language and are dumb enough to still take israel at face value

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I had my 10yo make a sign for the protest I'm taking him to today. I STG I haven't said a word to him about the red triangle thing, is my son secretly based?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

children ftmfw

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pookah posted:

They can say whatever they want, and they know Western media will report it as being (at least) equally valid to whatever Gaza sources say. So your average American just hears "Israel says ______ and the HAMAS-LEAD Gaza Health Ministry says ______."

"Journalists" are just government stenographers and the media is just a way to launder government statements through a third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I had my 10yo make a sign for the protest I'm taking him to today. I STG I haven't said a word to him about the red triangle thing, is my son secretly based?

Dixon Chisholm posted:

children ftmfw