Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the coma stuff just goes on too long. It's not bad in theory, but it's like 3 episodes.

yeah I was telling my friend while watching it for the first time this year, right before starting season 6, "I like it but I really hate dream sequences in general, and in this series every time they show up they seem to take longer and longer"

he didn't have the heart to tell me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The coma dream is what made the writing team of Robin Green and Mitchell Burgess, who had been around since the beginning, leave the show to create Blue Bloods.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The rapper stuff in the hospital recuperation episode is the cringiest poo poo.

The whole episode reminds me of the Columbus Day one in a bad way. Like the writer just filled the episode with poo poo from Reader's Digest. Oh, rappers get a career boost when they get shot. Religious pharmacists get fired for not filling prescription. Paramedics do "wallet biopsies" to make sure you can pay for the good hospital. We're all part of the same quantum field and merely temporary disturbances in the universal energy.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

My favorite recurring bit is Tony learning one superficial line of moral or psychological thought and repeating it to everyone for a whole season.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He takes the Ojibwe saying and turns it into an insult.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Get your pencils and your crap and the rest of your poo poo, and don’t be here tomorrow!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
huge self-own by Junior. That was like the one legitimate relationship he had on the show and he threw it all away

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh absolutely. And he continues to ask about her as time goes on. Like when Bobby saw her buying a fountain of a kid pissing at Fountains of Wayne.

“Must’ve bought a house”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

My favorite recurring bit is Tony learning one superficial line of moral or psychological thought and repeating it to everyone for a whole season.

The way they take a single nugget of wisdom and go "yeah i think i got it" and then misuse it forever is such a certain kind of guy, it's great. Like Paulie listening to sun tzu before going ham on the landscaper

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sun Tuh-zoo.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Pattonesque posted:

huge self-own by Junior. That was like the one legitimate relationship he had on the show and he threw it all away

He threw away Bobbie and got… Bobby

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I get it. He drives a Lincoln.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
the Kevin Finnerty episodes were so good in my opinion. He gets shot at the end of Episode 1 and is conscious again by the end of episode 3, so it's really not that long. I wasn't particularly fond of The Test Dream, mostly because of its placement right before the penultimate episode. The fact that coma dreams start the season, made it feel like it wasn't interrupting other storylines.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my absolutely favorite parts of The Test Dream is that when he calls Carmela on the phone after waking up, he just mentions that he had one of his "Coach Molinaro dreams" and she immediately, gently asks,"Were you unprepared as usual?" and it just serves as a perfect reminder of what he had with her that he threw away because he just refused to exhibit even the barest modicum of self control and not sleep around on her.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

One of them really sounds like Charmaine to me.

Same

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dig the coma stuff, but The Sopranos in general is just extra cinematic and it's easier for me to go with than other shows.

I'm watching another show where a lead character has been out of commission in a hospital bed awaiting surgery for several episodes, a sci-fi show, BSG s2, and it really has made for a couple of my least fav eps so far. Awesome show overall though. In general that's a big hurdle for a TV show I think. (Edit: the next couple eps ruled for the record.)

You want it to feel like big things are happening etc, but we kind of know the characters will be back as ever sooner than later so it can feel like they're just going through the motions. But I think I often feel that way when a TV character gets injured or in a coma or whatever. It is tricky stuff folks.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 11, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If Sil is having a coma dream at the end, what do you think that’s like?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently on the coma episodes.

I really like that Paulie almost loving kills him just by talking lol

Also I really love all the dreams about death and afterlife. So ominous and yet strangely serene. The scene in front of the house talking to Tony B makes my skin crawl every time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

If Sil is having a coma dream at the end, what do you think that’s like?

disgusting

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wish they would’ve showed Chris’ vision of hell.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Jerusalem posted:

One of my absolutely favorite parts of The Test Dream is that when he calls Carmela on the phone after waking up, he just mentions that he had one of his "Coach Molinaro dreams" and she immediately, gently asks,"Were you unprepared as usual?" and it just serves as a perfect reminder of what he had with her that he threw away because he just refused to exhibit even the barest modicum of self control and not sleep around on her.

I like this too, it's a nice world building detail that Tony actually does or has confided his dreams with Carmela (to what degree that is his expression of openness or vulnerability is left to us; I suppose it helps that she also knew the coach), and she demonstrates familiarity while Melfi expressly notes he's never brought it up to her.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

ruddiger posted:

I wish they would’ve showed Chris’ vision of hell.

I feel like we catch a glimpse whenever someone loses big at the executive game (David Scatino, JT) in just how quickly their lives become a "hell" afterward

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

wilderthanmild posted:

Also I really love all the dreams about death and afterlife. So ominous and yet strangely serene. The scene in front of the house talking to Tony B makes my skin crawl every time.

:same: this is far and away the most unnerving scene not in Employee Of The Month

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also let’s not forget Tony dreaming of being an Italian immigrant, encountering a Livia-esque phantom on the stairs!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yes, it was confirmed that it's not Edie Falco and they never revealed who it is. The voice even seems to change between the two coma episodes. One of them really sounds like Charmaine to me.

im 99% sure its Gene Pontacorvo’s wife.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this is the most heartbreaking scene in the show, such a good pie,

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

GolfHole posted:

this is the most heartbreaking scene in the show, such a good pie,

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
AJ: "Why do you keep talking about event planning? I don't even know what that is!"

How is this kid THIS dumb?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I love how AJ is such a mirror of Tony in his therapy sessions. first he gleefully joins in on beating up the african bicycle courier, and then he cries fake crocodile tears to his therapist just to wash away his guilt

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

MrMojok posted:

Also let’s not forget Tony dreaming of being an Italian immigrant, encountering a Livia-esque phantom on the stairs!

absolutely the most horrifying scene in the show. turbo nightmare poo poo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that scene never scares me for some reason, its just a very standard fear of the unknown. these are everywhere, even in everyday life. when you open a cabinet the items in the back are hidden. when you turn off the lights at night shadows dance on the walls. to me this is a very standard fear personified into a person since humans tend to recognize people foremost.

also the context. he's about to get a job! this is the same feeling that everyone gets when they walk into a job interview.

maybe im one foot in hell already.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

remind me to post this on wednesday at 3

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://youtu.be/EV9e14vzVco

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

GolfHole posted:

that scene never scares me for some reason, its just a very standard fear of the unknown. these are everywhere, even in everyday life. when you open a cabinet the items in the back are hidden. when you turn off the lights at night shadows dance on the walls. to me this is a very standard fear personified into a person since humans tend to recognize people foremost.

also the context. he's about to get a job! this is the same feeling that everyone gets when they walk into a job interview.

You are as good a psychiatrist as Melfi

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-P3DrkCLxY

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pattonesque posted:

absolutely the most horrifying scene in the show. turbo nightmare poo poo

Somebody pointed out in this thread something I had never noticed before, that it comes down the stairs trailing its fingers along the wall instead of the banister, and somehow that just adds even more to the wrongness of it all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s where the track for the chair lift would be.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sacre bleu, there is me mama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Dokapon Findom posted:

You are as good a psychiatrist as Melfi