Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Mission Trees own. :colbert:

Also people waaayyyyyy overvalue perma claims. Oh boy slightly cheaper coring cost and a bad cb that doesn't expire, how overpowered :geno:

Detheros fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You know you can just not do the mission trees right?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You know you can just not do the mission trees right?

Yes, I can carefully evaluate which parts of the game to use for the optimal experience. I could read the wiki and learn what "fires an event X" mission rewards really do and make sure I don't do these. I can even mod them out! And for games that aren't moddable I can decompile the executable and change them however I like. If you think about it there's no valid criticism for any videogame.

Detheros posted:

Mission Trees own. :colbert:

Also people waaayyyyyy overvalue perma claims. Oh boy slightly cheaper coring cost and a bad cb that doesn't expire, how overpowered :geno:

Yeah they can be fun.
Permanent claims might not mean a lot for a well-planned game (but probably mean a lot in a speedrunner WC where diplomat availability becomes a limiting factor) but psychologically it removes a big part of the game, at least for a casual player like me. You no longer have to prepare for a war in a relatively timely matter, you now that as long as the country exists you can attack them at any time. You don't get situation where someone gets in a tough war and you wish you'd prepare ahead by getting some CB on them.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

ilitarist posted:

Yeah they can be fun.
Permanent claims might not mean a lot for a well-planned game (but probably mean a lot in a speedrunner WC where diplomat availability becomes a limiting factor) but psychologically it removes a big part of the game, at least for a casual player like me. You no longer have to prepare for a war in a relatively timely matter, you now that as long as the country exists you can attack them at any time. You don't get situation where someone gets in a tough war and you wish you'd prepare ahead by getting some CB on them.

Okay so that puts it in, "Nice to have" territory and not the ridiculous that you were complaining about.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ilitarist posted:

Played a bit more of Livonian Order. It rapidly pushes me into "MTs are evil camp".

I don't mind Great Projects. They provide new strategic considerations, give you more visible reasons for unconventional directions (usually change religion or culture, which knowledgeable players could do for MTs or special government or something else you can't plan without prior knowledge so casual player would rarely do that) even if they allow player to snowball even harder. I like some flavorful missions. Livonian Order had a cool mission asking you to have 4 forts around the capital - something you would not want to do in a normal game - and turns them into superforts. It's not too OP and it creates an interesting place on a map. Temporary modifiers telling you that now is a great time to focus on war/buildings/whatever are cool too, they might make you think of where to activate the reward. They feel good.

But then Livonian Order is full of mission that reward you for doing sensible things by making you win harder. Permanent claims on whole Russia is ridiculous, but then you get empire rank and Prussian Militarization for building manpower buildings. This comes with governance penalty, but still. It's not like I'm a hardcore player who needs a challenge, it's likely I won't even be able to complete the MT cause one of the missions seems to literally be control all of the Catholic world. But these powerful permanent modifiers and special reforms really devalue my conscious choices. I took some religious ideas cause I foresaw a lot of conversion work but I might have as well ignored it because of a lot of bonuses I get to conversion. I've played several games of I:R Invictus mod that adds a lot of unique missions and decisions and I expected it too be something like that, add cool modifiers for Uber Spartan Warriors or something, but it's quite sensible, and these missions are usually more like an investment opportunity.
I was thinking of the Rome Invictus mod before getting to that part of your post! I really like mission trees, but I agree the mod does it better than the stuff in the latest few EU DLCs. It’s been a thing for a few years now- feels like every major euro power has free PUs on every other one and those trees are child’s play compared to some of what’s come since

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The older trees are definitely lacking compared to the new stuff that's being put out. Paradox redid the French tree after redoing them a few years ago.

The only thing that bugs me about permanent claims is that is does dilute the power of diplomats, because now I can just have them all improving relations instead of worrying about maintaining claims. But that does kind of go away if you use the holy war CB or make it to imperialism anyway.

Edit: I kind of hope they redo the Austrian tree before they finish working on EU4. There my favorite country and I'd like to see them with a mission tree that varies.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 11, 2023

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Detheros posted:

Okay so that puts it in, "Nice to have" territory and not the ridiculous that you were complaining about.

This is ridiculous cause this meant that for most of the campaign I didn't have to use diplomats to fabricate claims at all, even when I attacked Catholic countries holding territory between Poland and Urals. Maybe you thought it means permanent cores on Fabricating claims also works in a way that limits how many claims you can have at a time, and they only give -10% to core price while permanent ones give -25%. Usually to expand fast you have to conquer some lands with no claims at all and it's not the case here. And it's not a reward for some feat, it's what you get for conventional play.

Again, if you're doing WC it probably doesn't feel significant. I don't know, maybe for you it means a difference between WC in 1600 and WC in 1580, but to me it feels like the game paves me a path to greatness that isn't earned. As I've posted earlier in the beginning I felt like I'm in a tight spot, but then you get a steamroller feeling that I usually only get in EU4 when I have a huge lategame empire.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

ilitarist posted:

Yes, I can carefully evaluate which parts of the game to use for the optimal experience. I could read the wiki and learn what "fires an event X" mission rewards really do and make sure I don't do these. I can even mod them out! And for games that aren't moddable I can decompile the executable and change them however I like. If you think about it there's no valid criticism for any videogame.

I think you should press the "Declare War" button on every country since you have such an aversion to not pressing buttons.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Remember how the initial version of concentrate development was more powerful than the current version and all the fools complained about it instead of just ignoring a part of the game?

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Buddy, I barely remember where half the buttons are, much less what concentrate development does now, much less what it used to do.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Players shouldn't be expected to act as developers to balance the game on the fly (without always even knowing what the bonus they're going to get is ahead of time).

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

ilitarist posted:

This is ridiculous cause this meant that for most of the campaign I didn't have to use diplomats to fabricate claims at all, even when I attacked Catholic countries holding territory between Poland and Urals. Maybe you thought it means permanent cores on Fabricating claims also works in a way that limits how many claims you can have at a time, and they only give -10% to core price while permanent ones give -25%. Usually to expand fast you have to conquer some lands with no claims at all and it's not the case here. And it's not a reward for some feat, it's what you get for conventional play.

It's literally just a worse Horde CB (something hordes get for existing), nice to have but not gamebreaking.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 11, 2023

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Detheros posted:

It's literally just a worse Horde CB (something hordes get for existing), nice to have but not gamebreaking.

It's also 25% core creation cost on those provinces. That's big too, especially if you have admin ideas.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Again, nice to have, not busted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm wishing Kandy had a mission tree that gave perma claims because right now I'm limited by bad (suboptimal) idea choices and a lack of diplomats. I need to conquer a lot of land (all of India! Its huge!) and I dont have Imperialism yet so I either need claims or pay through the nose in diplopoints to annex lots of land.

edit: it doesnt help that I got distracted by the lure of using all of Indonesia as a power base, so I spent a ton of time and effort conquering that first.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Dip is free, always dipannex

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

Dip is free, always dipannex
Yeah I keep riding the line of being behind on diplo tech and my vassals getting uppity because I'm behind on tech, and annexing them.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I hope you're using strong duchys

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Do Indians get strong duchies? I think the castes don't have it, but I'm not sure.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Honestly I forget, I haven't been there since my Kandy run where I moved to Indonesia, lmao

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Staltran posted:

Do Indians get strong duchies? I think the castes don't have it, but I'm not sure.

Rajputs get the same thing under a different name, but iirc they’re only in the north so Kandy gets marathas instead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only thing wrong with mission trees is that not all countries have them

There's some really goofy outliers, like how mamluks didn't have one until just a few days ago, and how janky the Timurid one is (though both Mughals and Persia have good trees so that only matters if you want to stay Timmy). One funny thing with the Timurid missions is that its the same tree for Timmy itself and for all the vassals, so you routinely get claims on your own land for your missions depending on which country you pick.

e: speaking of Indonesia, what countries around there have decent flavor stuff? I've played majapahit but I don't know who else is cool and who's generic

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

cheetah7071 posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kandy has both Marathas and Nobles, so thankfully yes I have Strong Duchies. But that only helps so much when you have 4 relatively large vassals. I want to give Khmer more land because they're a March but the other non-Marches would be pushing the upper limit of staying loyal.

edit:

Detheros posted:

Honestly I forget, I haven't been there since my Kandy run where I moved to Indonesia, lmao
Yeah I own like 98% of Indonesia and am about to conquer the last 2%. Its 1639 and I have about 1/3 of India owned directly or under a vassal so I have plenty of time. But I was too invested in taking Indonesia so I went Expansion ideas first, but never finished them and eventually refunded the 4 ideas in it that I had taken once I had colonized everything I wanted and badly needed to start on Admin. I wish I had gone religious though because there are so few buddhists and the aforementioned issues I've had burning all my diplo points on taking land where I didnt have claims.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 11, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Mission trees are good and after a billion hours playing the same countries, I welcome the insane branching ones and weird arcadey paths

Zoroastrian persia is extremely my jam

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

cheetah7071 posted:

Doing Switzerland in a multiplayer game recently, I was surprised at their mission tree. It was anemic, like they put in the Swiss-specific ones, but forgot to add the regional one. Like how the HRE bishopries get the normal tree, with a few HRE and bishop ones thrown in.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Kandy has both Marathas and Nobles, so thankfully yes I have Strong Duchies. But that only helps so much when you have 4 relatively large vassals. I want to give Khmer more land because they're a March but the other non-Marches would be pushing the upper limit of staying loyal.

edit:

Yeah I own like 98% of Indonesia and am about to conquer the last 2%. Its 1639 and I have about 1/3 of India owned directly or under a vassal so I have plenty of time. But I was too invested in taking Indonesia so I went Expansion ideas first, but never finished them and eventually refunded the 4 ideas in it that I had taken once I had colonized everything I wanted and badly needed to start on Admin. I wish I had gone religious though because there are so few buddhists and the aforementioned issues I've had burning all my diplo points on taking land where I didnt have claims.

Oh Kandy is Buddhist? I assumed they're Hindu and religious wouldn't help with India much. Religious would have been really good then. Or espionage to claim states, but I'm not sure how valuable the ae reduction would be in India.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Staltran posted:

Oh Kandy is Buddhist? I assumed they're Hindu and religious wouldn't help with India much. Religious would have been really good then. Or espionage to claim states, but I'm not sure how valuable the ae reduction would be in India.
It is! There is a Buddhist holy site in the province of Kandy on Sri Lanka (the only inland province on the island).

atvrager
Jun 15, 2007
fear

MonsieurChoc posted:

How do you even do the Zoro-Austrian achievement?

I'm not quite finished with it yet (doing the Persian tree now), but my strategy was something like this:
- No CB Byz to gently caress the Ottomans
- Do what you need to get the Bohemia and Hungary PUs (I also ended up getting Milan, but I don't think it's a big deal to miss that)
- Beat up the Ottos for Byz cores and some stuff in Anatolia, I didn't end up getting a border with anyone else over there until the second war though.
- Kill whatever's left in the Balkans while you're waiting on truces
- Once you get borders past the Ottos, snake towards Persian culture (the specific culture, not group, there's plenty of dev in it), as well as the required provinces for Persia
- Once you have a good chunk of Persian culture stated, de-state enough stuff to culture shift, and then you can form Persia! Zoro's easy to get without rebel stuff, just pick their branch of the mission tree and it starts an event chain.

Couple tricky things I ran into:
- Coring in Persia sucks hard with your capital in Vienna, and you can't move it out of the HRE easily
- When you stop being HRE emperor due to going Zoro, you're stuck with duchy rank (or kingdom if you're an elector)
Solved both of these by getting out of the HRE before I formed Persia (gave all my Austrian land to a Styrian vassal, and gave away my Swabian lands to someone in a war, that way I had no HRE provinces left. Then move capital to Constantinople if it didn't go there automagically.

Here's what my country looked like right after swapping to Persia:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mamluk is so strong now haha.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it correct that a province can’t be in the HRE and a trade company at the same time? The button to add to trade company doesn’t seem to exist.

I think I can add all provinces from the trade node screen but not individual ones.

atvrager
Jun 15, 2007
fear

Sri.Theo posted:

Is it correct that a province can’t be in the HRE and a trade company at the same time? The button to add to trade company doesn’t seem to exist.

I think I can add all provinces from the trade node screen but not individual ones.

Yeah, HRE provinces can't be in a TC. There was something with it you used to be able to cheese with the add all button, but I believe that got patched out a while back.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

atvrager posted:

Yeah, HRE provinces can't be in a TC. There was something with it you used to be able to cheese with the add all button, but I believe that got patched out a while back.

Yeah, you'd be able to stack a huge amount of imperial authority by repeatedly TCing and HREing provinces, leading to incredibly fast revokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6mC3SGQ6U

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's nothing wrong with mission trees, but poorly made mission trees suck. You don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The actual worst thing about mission trees is when an ally is awarded a claim on one of your provinces and now decided that they want it and get a -200 opinion malus, thus breaking your 100 trust alliance.

What I'm saying is give trust a positive opinion modifier above 50.

Detheros fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 12, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Detheros posted:

The actual worst thing about mission trees is when an ally is awarded a claim on one of your provinces and now decided that they want it and get a -200 opinion malus, thus breaking your 100 trust alliance.

What I'm saying is give trust a positive opinion modifier.

It is kind of silly that Spain and Portugal will basically always go to war, 'historical friends' or no.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't think I've ever seen them go to war

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, you'd be able to stack a huge amount of imperial authority by repeatedly TCing and HREing provinces, leading to incredibly fast revokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm6mC3SGQ6U

Interesting, but as I understand it adding provinces to the HRE doesn’t give you imperial authority any more so it doesn’t matter. You only do it for the buffs.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A country joining the hre still gives authority. If I understand correctly, the bug was that the button would be clickable, and give IA, in situations where your capital was connected to the HRE, at least one province could be added, but the path between that province and your capital was blocked by trade companies. So you'd un-TC provinces one at a time, wait for the 5 year cooldown before they became eligible to join the HRE, and click the button to join the HRE as each one became eligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen them go to war

When Spain got an updated mission tree, for a while afterwards they would get a Restoration of Union CB on Portugal every game and promptly break the alliance, and it turned Portugal from one of the easiest starts into a tough one. At some point it was updated again so that doesn't happen if there's an alliance in place.