Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol fatah won't even be allowed inside gaza afterward, who could have seen this coming

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/12/world/middleeast/netanyahu-palestinian-authority.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abbas is a numbskull slob

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's tons of posting right now on the greater internet whipping up people into a panic that they're in urgent and immediate danger and the only solution is moving to Israel. It's quite surprising seeing it basically everywhere.

How the heck is Israel supposed to look like a safe haven right now?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

Deciding to move to Israel at this exact moment is some Darwin award poo poo

Good.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If your feelings are being hurt in Europe you can go to Israel and join the invincible IDF, recovering your confidence and dying in a horrible fireball as a guy in Adidas sweatpants and sandals effortlessly blows up your merkava

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Dixon Chisholm posted:

children ftmfw

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Israel posted:

Children ftmfl

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

How the heck is Israel supposed to look like a safe haven right now?

the assumption is that the entire mass of the global financial system and the greatest warmongering powers to ever rule it will come down fully and firmly on the side of Israel which means it will be safe.

eventually.
probably.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The security fantasy of Israel that gets drilled into a lot of Jewish kids' heads also adds an extra layer of filth to the IDF; it's not just a soft summer camp because of inexperience/conscription/casualty fears, but also because it effectively serves as another tourist attraction

Sick of being oppressed by antisemitism? Are people giving you the stinkeye over your Israel-themed three piece suit? Come to scenic Israel! Get a gun and fatigues so you can feel like a badass! Abuse subhuman Arabs with your friends! Now you get to be the abuser! Pizza party!

Serve for a year and a half at most, then head back to Ohio and brag about being an elite IDF badass!

And then that feeds into the casualty-aversion; like a theme park, you don't want one of your attractions getting a reputation of being dangerous, that might deter the fascists that are pussies (e.g most of them) from coming over

Neurolimal has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Nov 12, 2023

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

RNN posted:

9:00 PM of Al-Bahaa.
Almost every day in the last 37 days, missiles bombard "Tel Aviv," occupied Asqalan, Asdod, and other settlements in the zionist depth at exactly 9:00 PM.

This is not without reason. 9:00 PM is a tribute to martyred Saraya Al-Quds leader Bahaa Abu Al-Atta, Abu Saleem, who turned 9:00 PM sharp into a time of horror for zionist settlers. In his storied career of resistance, he commanded the launch of rockets at exactly 9:00 PM as part of the blood-for-blood policy imposed by the resistance. If Palestine was attacked, the zionists knew what to expect at 9:00, and who the response came from, without even an announcement. Netanyahu's election rallied were targeted twice at 9:00 PM as well.

Abu Saleem oversaw a number of significant resistance operations against the zionist entity; his existence was a threat to the temporary entity because he strengthened the resistance all over Palestine, such as with the inception of resistance cells in the West Bank in the 2010s. He was a brave and beloved leader.

On this day four years ago, Bahaa and his wife ascended in a targeted assassination in their home. Not even half an hour passed before PIJ declared the Battle of the Cry of Dawn; "Tel Aviv" was targeted with no less than 450 missiles and a new generation of PIJ's Buraq and Fajr missiles showed their force.

Today, Palestinians eagerly await the ninth hour, standing on their rooftops ready to film the barrages of Palestinian-made rockets launched in honor of the blood of our martyrs, hitting targets in now-occupied Palestinian lands. Ululations and "Allahu Akbar" merge with the sounds of rockets firing. Bahaa's comrades complete his path, continuing the response of the ninth hour, reaffirming the march towards victory.

9:00 PM represents steadfastness, splendor, and determination.
It is a time of pride, dignity, resistance, and honor.

Glory to our commanding martyr.
Glory to 9:00 PM of Al-Bahaa.

Eating poo poo the same time, every day

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Sancho Banana posted:

Israel posted:

children? open fire

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

On the other hand, I saw an IT-department army reservist telling people that Israel is the most war-torn country in the world, which is why she committed to that career at age 19. Gotta lead the charge on the crusade of our times, after all!

I feel like it's a safe assumption that people will be taught and believe whichever worldview is conductive to having a deep manpower pool

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I will say, since I poo poo post about friendly fire incidents, the ANA shooting detainees while we took a smoke break and poo poo, and since yesterday was Remembrance Day and I went to the Regimental memorial and then drank in the mess, that it does seem to be how soldiers remember things. You half remember them, and joke about them, because you can't sit with, let alone talk about, the full gravity of all of these situations. So, the documentary part of the film, that almost certainly is how IDF guys talk about their experiences in Lebanon, and I don't think it's unique to the IDF.

On the other hand, does a documentary have a duty to go beyond the subjects' remembrances and attempt to place them in context? This is a problem with oral history, because for example, taking Wehrmacht veterans at face value led to the Clean Wehrmacht mythology of West Germany. When you put their accounts in context, things can change. So a German soldier talking that "that funny guy Schmidt who was always getting into antics when we were in Russia. I remember him running around chasing chickens in the hamlets and looking for hidden valuables in peasants' huts. He was hilarious. One day a partisan killed him, and we were very sad".

That's half an account. You can only really understand what happened if you, the historian, provide the context that the killing of this particular German soldier led to the burning of a village in retaliation, or that his funny antics were an allusion to widespread looting and pillaging. That's not how his kameraden are going to tell that story. If you animated a sequence of someone comically running around after hens, you are not depicting the full reality of the invasion of Russia, but how soldiers prefer to remember, and/or talk about it.

I don't know, the "shoot and cry" phenomenon is mentioned on books on war films as a genre, and seems to be the result of liberal societies and not so much a rejection of war or militarism, but just making war films for a post 1960's audience. They serve the same purpose as the All-Star Hollywood spectaculars of the 50's and 60's, they just have a slightly different tone. I don't know if I'm explaining this last bit well, I'm not a film guy. They're still war movies in liberal societies, and so the criticism of war only extends to how individual soldiers are effected, not the war or state itself.

The true crime of Vietnam (or any US war) was the trauma it inflicted on poor, innocent American boys. The film equivalent of burgerposting. Burgerfilm.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ramie posted:

On the other hand, I saw an IT-department army reservist telling people that Israel is the most war-torn country in the world, which is why she committed to that career at age 19. Gotta lead the charge on the crusade of our times, after all!

I feel like it's a safe assumption that people will be taught and believe whichever worldview is conductive to having a deep manpower pool

The few, the proud. Like the knightly orders of old, we hold the line against the hordes of dar- oh sweet pizza's here

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/asadabukhalil/status/1723781176371159062?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Shooting and Crying is basically public therapy for the IDF members who don't use LSD for their trauma; I did bad things, but I had to do them, and I'll feel bad about them which should be enough for you.

It's the ultimate realization of Golda Meir's "wont forgive them for making us kill their children" quote. The real victim is the young men and women who are being traumatized by all the abuse they have to do.

I bet there's even plenty of liberal Israeli's who earnestly believe in it, but that doesn't change that it's a release valve for societal friction. Like voting.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's purestrain domestic abuser talk - the victim is at fault for their own actions, and also responsible for the abuser's violent response, since their actions 'forced' the abuser to attack.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

i think it would be really really funny if somehow it turns out israel had something to do with 9/11. they have just hosed up so massively with pr for the past month it would be comical if it wasnt so disgusting

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

NETANYAHU IS HITLER 2

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/normfinkelstein/status/1723747003434139990?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

Netanyahu is Moseley too?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Eating poo poo the same time, every day

It aint himars o'clock anymore now its qassam rockets o'clock

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

soscannonballs posted:

i think it would be really really funny if somehow it turns out israel had something to do with 9/11. they have just hosed up so massively with pr for the past month it would be comical if it wasnt so disgusting

look up the Mossad Art Student ring.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/zarandillo/status/1654028136093216769

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

soscannonballs posted:

Well there's that extremely weird story about the 5 Israelis on a rooftop hooting and hollering as they filmed the planes crashing into the towers, and then it turned out at least some of them were Mossad agents.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lpzie posted:

NETANYAHU IS HITLER 2

This is a gimmick I can get behind

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Desiderata posted:

I remember watching and liking Waltz with Bashir, finding it a good exploration of suppressed memory, and the way it builds up to the massacre the end such a gut punch, and really powerful.

But watching those clips right now in this context, it's clear that what the film actually shows is hours of the IDF "goofing up" in all the damage they cause, including to one another, all the horror is played for dark laughs, with cheap references to cool hollywood action movie scenes, and 'oh poor us' innocents at war. As much as this mirrors the protagonist-documentarians experience of making the film, the memories of the war being uncovered, comedy giving way to tragedy: the end result is a few hours of "isn't life tough in the IDF" followed by, oh and there was this one terrible massacre (done by others). It really is just "shooting and crying", and belated realisation that you engaged in a war crime, isn't absolved by spending an solid hour of film talking about how bad things were for your buddies, before your final limited confession.

Like Ken Burn's Vietnam - it tells important parts of the story previously undertold, it tells things that people should hear. But it also because of who it was made by, because of the audience it was made for, it still can't bring itself to tell the full truth of the pointless horror committed were not "begun in good faith", but cold, calculated, uncaring. In the end withdraws to a liberal "mistakes were made", but ultimately the lessons will never be learned, oh well. It's still not the truth, just all the truth a reactionary audience can hear right now, even decades later. But it still doesn't truly let it's victims speak on par with the perpetrators, it can't, because that is not it's purpose.

I wonder what award winning documentaries will be made in 20 years time, revealing a smoothed off 50% blurred version of the current horrors as if they are insightful journalism, about the events, the lies, the cruelty, the backroom bargaining over massdeath, we in this thread already know are happening right now. One of the strangest things I find as I am getting older is having the past that I remember and lived through massaged into more palatable shapes for consumption today. Being told "this is what people thought in 2001" and remembering for a fact, that no, not everyone thought like that, all these facts were there at the time. Those weren't regrettable mistakes viewable in 20/20 hindsight, but active malignant decisions with the likely consequences and vital information available as they were taken to any member of the public if one cared to look. But now I get told, "we didn't know better back then", the past gets to be an eternal series of mistakes, with the meaningless admonishment that we should learn from them, but at the very same time we are told over and over again: the choices in the present are not allowed to be choices at all.

It's like that Frankie Boyle joke. Not only will Americans bomb your country but they'll come back 20 years later and make a movie about how killing your people made their soldiers feel sad. It's no surprise Israeli's would pick up the trick.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Frosted Flake posted:

look up the Mossad Art Student ring.

Vile Schlomo origin story revealed

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Phigs posted:

Genuine question, not trying to justify attacking someone for wearing a Star of David, but is it even common for non-Zionist Jews to wear the Star of David? I thought it was basically equivalent to the Jesus Fish where it's technically a religious symbol but typically only people of a certain political persuasion would actually go around displaying it these days.

Again, even if it is mostly worn by Zionists that's no reason to go hating on someone who just happens to wear it.

Funny thing with the Star of David is that is was not a Jewish symbol of any great antiquity at all. It was originally just a magical sigil popularised in Early Modern Europe, and one of the reasons it became to symbolise Judaism as a whole was that it was adopted by the early Zionist movement. Noone in ancient Judea would have recognised the symbol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_David

quote:

In the 19th century, it came to be adopted by European Jews as a symbol to represent Jewish religion or identity in the same manner the Christian cross identified that religion's believers.[2][12] The symbol became representative of the worldwide Zionist community after it was chosen as the central symbol on a flag at the First Zionist Congress in 1897, due to its usage in some Jewish communities and its lack of specifically religious connotations.[3][13] It was not considered an exclusively Jewish symbol until after it began to be used on the gravestones of fallen Jewish soldiers in World War I.[5]

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

quote:

America Is A Gun

England is a cup of tea.
France, a wheel of ripened brie.
Greece, a short, squat olive tree.
America is a gun.

Brazil is football on the sand.
Argentina, Maradona's hand.
Germany, an oompah band.
America is a gun.

Holland is a wooden shoe.
Hungary, a goulash stew.
Australia, a kangaroo.
America is a gun.

Japan is a thermal spring.
Scotland is a highland fling.
Oh, better to be anything
than America as a gun.

Brian Bilston

Edit: poem needs to be urgently updated re. the descriptions of England, France, Germany and Hungary

Pookah has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Nov 12, 2023

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Actually it's a burger

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

a gun shooting a burger, mayhaps?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

So the growth of the historically late and obscure symbol of the Star of David to become The Official Symbol of Judaism is to a large degree due to direct Zionist influence, Zionist orgs giving themselves the authority to decide what such a symbol should be.

Otherwise it might probably have been a stylized menorah or something like that.

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Nov 12, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

Huh turns out doing 9-11 makes you one of the good guys now who'd have thunk it!

Look it's all just very complex ok?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Funny thing with the Star of David is that is was not a Jewish symbol of any great antiquity at all. It was originally just a magical sigil popularised in Early Modern Europe, and one of the reasons it became to symbolise Judaism as a whole was that it was adopted by the early Zionist movement. Noone in ancient Judea would have recognised the symbol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_of_David

most fellow jews i know wear a magen david or a chai. a lot wear a hamsa which gentiles are less familiar with and is more general to the region. the magen david became cemented for american jews when the military slapped it on gravestones. historically, menorah has been our big symbol.

to answer the question, a lot of antizionist jews wear and use the symbol. and occasionally get criticized for being pro israel because of the Israeli flag (and that sucks)

edit: to avoid burger posting, I'll add that I forgot some IDF folks follow my Instagram and they were super mad about my community protesting for a ceasefire. the guy i was talking to is fully into the idea that advocating for a ceasefire is gonna lead to more Israeli deaths ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ sad stuff

Lazy_Liberal has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Nov 12, 2023

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh weird who would have thought setting up an ethnostate would come with such repricussions.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

settlers have been fleeing Israel in droves and they're also looking at a massive shortfall of Palestinian labor (upon which the Israeli economy depends), so Israel needs as many people as possible coming back to the country as quickly as possible

India will supply labour shortage, full support sir.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

mila kunis posted:

India will supply labour shortage, full support sir.

quote:

I don't need help from a black guy, thanks

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Reading the replies really reminds you how many people there are that need to have their posting privileges permanently revoked. Just a whole bunch of people who don't deserve to have a voice, because the only thing they know to speak is their indoctrination.

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 21:34 on Nov 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

R. Mute posted:

a gun shooting a burger, mayhaps?

Imagine a gun shooting a burger into a human face, forever for a couple more decades