Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The problem with FF16 is that it's on the PS5 and I'm not buying that garbage. Where's my PC release? I need another FF to play so that I can complain it isn't recapturing my childhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Final Fantasy hasn't been good for over 20 years, probably a lot longer than that even, I don't know why anyone would want to pretend otherwise

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nice Van My Man posted:

The problem with FF16 is that it's on the PS5 and I'm not buying that garbage. Where's my PC release? I need another FF to play so that I can complain it isn't recapturing my childhood.

Have you played Lightning Returns?

It's dumb!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Just finished Elden Ring and oh my loving god the ending is a complete loving joke. Less than 30 seconds, me sitting on a throne, 'it's the age of the duskborne', no explanation of anything, nothing about Fia or the undead, or what a Tarnished is or what the Lands Between are, just my stupid rear end in my stupid armor sitting on a stupid throne lol I don't think I've EVER been more disappointed by a game's ending. 219 hours to reach an ending that I would have enjoyed more if it was a jpeg of a Japanese man giving me the middle finger

Everything after Lyendell could have been cut from this game with nothing lost, it was just area after area of bosses and enemies I'd already seen except massively overtuned, and the final boss was bullshit.

Everything prior to all of that was wonderful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you don't know what the Tarnished are or what the Lands Between are then you weren't paying attention

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

If I was paying attention I also would have known better than to expect anything good from George Rape Rape Martin, the guy who went into great detail about a young girl's diarrhea

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

If you don't know what the Tarnished are or what the Lands Between are then you weren't paying attention

Skill issue lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GRRM has pretty much nothing to do with the story of Elden Ring. He wrote a backstory about a fantasy world and then the devs threw it all out and went "Okay that's the ancient unremembered past of the world" and did their own thing with it.

Dark Souls endings are perfect because no cutscene should be longer than 30 seconds.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Oh Christ we're in Dark Souls / Elden Ring talk, I'll see you folks in fourteen pages

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

The Moon Monster posted:

Remember that the new Final Fantasy released awhile back? That thing sure came and went.

I enjoyed it quite a bit mostly for the story and ambiance, but it has zero replay value, a lot of dumb mechanics you never bother using, and half the side quests are just empty verbose filler.

My favorite parts of the SNES era final fantasies are how if you search around in the right way without an extraordinary amount of effort you find some awesome gamebreaking stuff. Now you're lucky to find a weapon upgrade you use for 15 minutes before you can buy the same or better one for a trivial amount of money at the same shop you literally buy all your other weapons at

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

There are so many characters with nearly identical names that I didn't even realize Radagon wasn't Radahn until I got to the fight and thought "wait a minute he looks totally different" lol

Oh well, first and last time I get invested in a video game's story. There's a reason I say they're all poo poo, and I should have never doubted that.

credburn posted:

Oh Christ we're in Dark Souls / Elden Ring talk, I'll see you folks in fourteen pages

Talk about something else if you don't want to hear it you whiney gently caress, I just got GRRM and Mizayaki's balls rubbed across my face and I wanna be mad about it for a little bit

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Going into a souls game for the story is a lot like going into an action movie looking for emotional depth

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Die Hard had feeling my dude

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

QuarkJets posted:

FF14 sold well but experienced so much overwhelming backlash that Square issued an official apology, temporarily dropped all subscription fees, and fired the whole dev team.

Ironically FF14 is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in keeping FF relevant as a brand nowadays. FF16 was eh, and FF15 could have been great and a new chapter in how their games are designed if they had just followed through on the expansion plans and put the modding tools in. "Final Fantasy but it has nearly Skyrim levels of moddability" would have been rad as heck.

Basically it seems like the goal is to just collecting paychecks off the name outside of a few older hit series. Inevitably that will probably mean that FF as a brand gets hosed over once they hit a lull. They can't coast on FF7 and the MMO forever. Sooner or later something will go wrong or the next expansion will whiff on player interest.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
why can't video game makers just make good games instead of bad games?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sorry for yelling

itry
Aug 23, 2019

satanic splash-back posted:

Going into a souls game for the story is a lot like going into an action movie looking for emotional depth

And yet people keep talking about that lore. What's a WHH to think?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

itry posted:

There's literally people who have built a youtube career off of deep lore videos.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

credburn posted:

Look up, beanpole

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They should just make a game that is one long CG cut scene. I’d play that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

smellmycheese posted:

Just playing the beautifully crafted 2D magic that is Super Mario Wonder and it leads me to this opinion - all you need to enjoy great videogaming is a good PC and a Switch. Everything else is superfluous.

Sony makes a good PC. Its called the PS5

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

There are so many characters with nearly identical names that I didn't even realize Radagon wasn't Radahn until I got to the fight and thought "wait a minute he looks totally different" lol

FF12 had two Cids--Cid Bunansa and Al-Cid--but the spoken script referred to both as "Cid"

DrPossum posted:

why can't video game makers just make good games instead of bad games?

Profit margins!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Archonex posted:

There's literally people who have built a youtube career off of deep lore videos.

Right, so it's no wonder some people get confused.

MarcusSA posted:

Can I interest you in a David Cage game?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Just hold a video game controller while watching miyazaki movies

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I imagine anyone who loves deep dives into game lore, not just Dark Souls games and their official knockoffs, are identical to the guy that's all "AND THAT'S JUST AN UNFOUNDED THEORY I READ ON REDDIT" you know that guy I forget his name but he like hit his wife or something idunno I get youtubers confused a lot.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

QuarkJets posted:

Final Fantasy hasn't been good for over 20 years, probably a lot longer than that even, I don't know why anyone would want to pretend otherwise
And then you get stuff like FF14 and FF7R and you can tell that there are still people at the company who are able to make a good game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Archonex posted:

Ironically, FF15 is the one they're all copying since that's the basis for the engine. FF15 got screwed hard by management so it was never even finished. Then for the sequel they toned the mobility of the combat down in favor of rampant QTE's like it was the early 2000's all over again.

People that bought 15 were also promised full modding tools and a new storyline in DLC and instead they got a model swapper (the level editor and other stuff never materialized, which was literally blatant false advertising they put in the sales details in the PC version and in interviews with the staff. How they didn't get the poo poo sued out of them for that is beyond me.) and only received the bad ending of the game in the base game with a half finished DLC storyline leading up to the main expansion that should have occurred.

It also started the sad character cliche if the next game is to be observed. Which is ironic, since the post shutdown material indicated this was only a thing if you played along with what all the higher powers told you to do in the original script. Going "gently caress this, the people above me are monsters and morons." netted you the good ending where you got a full party that was more than an edgy k-pop boy band with a variety of characters along with an expanded world and gameplay.

Unsurprisingly a lot of people dipped on the sequel after all the lies leaving people that thought 16 was good and totally not a step back. :shrug:

The core gameplay of FF15 is bizarre because they basically took Kingdom Hearts 3 but made it more casual. Except for magic, to which they added massively tedious resource grinding guaranteeing that no one would use it past the first couple hours.

The cave art was good though. They looked like actual caves rather than your typical videogame caves. Someone on the art team was clearly into caves, which I really appreciated.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Just finished Elden Ring and oh my loving god

Sorry William you got the bad ending not marrying Ranni :(

and yeah the endings for all the Souls games aren't much. Probably at least partially because they want to keep it vague or in your imagination so that nerds can argue about it online.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm not sure what more you'd want from the endings? Some freeze frames of the characters and monsters telling us they went on to become lawyers and move to New York? Because in most of the games that text would all be some variant "they persisted in a hollow fog of existence for an arbitrary amount of time before turning into memory dust."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I guess at some point I do wanna see a Light Souls with normal folks who can only die once and can communicate their thoughts and directives effectively, using whole sentences.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

Sorry William you got the bad ending not marrying Ranni :(

and yeah the endings for all the Souls games aren't much. Probably at least partially because they want to keep it vague or in your imagination so that nerds can argue about it online.

Turns out I had the option for that one, but my inner goth + obsessively searching the entire game for the black knife and the assassin armor made me feel like I should go the way I did. Next time, waifu all the way.

Khanstant posted:

I'm not sure what more you'd want from the endings? Some freeze frames of the characters and monsters telling us they went on to become lawyers and move to New York? Because in most of the games that text would all be some variant "they persisted in a hollow fog of existence for an arbitrary amount of time before turning into memory dust."

I'm not honestly sure what I'd want either, and I'm over the rage now so it's all good. I've never really given a gently caress about a video games ending before and I apparently wasn't ready! It's all very new and out of character for me.

If I start playing Disco Elysium or watching anime, please call the police

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

itry posted:

Who are these people? Are they in the room with us right now?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Dark Souls lore is like the Dark Souls of lore.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Who are these people? Are they in the room with us right now?

Like this? People seem to love doing insane dives into Souls lore, I don't know why you'd pretend they don't? Like genuinely, what was the goal here?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

Like this? People seem to love doing insane dives into Souls lore, I don't know why you'd pretend they don't? Like genuinely, what was the goal here?

I thought we were talking about people ITT, or just random Souls fans in general. Most people don't really care very much about the lore in my experience. Sure there are weirdos on youtube making videos about Dark Souls lore, but the same could be said about Zelda. You'll only encounter that poo poo if you go out looking for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you make an artistic game about a woman breaking up with the protagonist Im going to assume you, the dev, are a jerk in real life

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Turns out I had the option for that one, but my inner goth + obsessively searching the entire game for the black knife and the assassin armor made me feel like I should go the way I did. Next time, waifu all the way.

I'm not honestly sure what I'd want either, and I'm over the rage now so it's all good. I've never really given a gently caress about a video games ending before and I apparently wasn't ready! It's all very new and out of character for me.

If I start playing Disco Elysium or watching anime, please call the police

Yeah you got the “false” ending that is unsatisfactory on purpose and is just an image of you on a chair. The “True” endings that have more explanation and thematic impact and actual cutscenes, are the “Good” ending with Ranni and the “Evil” ending with the Flame of Frenzy and Melina.

Though a lot of your other questions like “what are tarnished?” and “what are the lands between?” are things you learn by reading item descriptions and talking to npcs, both of which are easy to not understand if you say, missed that one cave that had that one sword that described an important plot point. I personally love that “jigsaw puzzle” story Fromsoft does but it does have its flaws.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

The core gameplay of FF15 is bizarre because they basically took Kingdom Hearts 3 but made it more casual. Except for magic, to which they added massively tedious resource grinding guaranteeing that no one would use it past the first couple hours.

The cave art was good though. They looked like actual caves rather than your typical videogame caves. Someone on the art team was clearly into caves, which I really appreciated.

The issues with it make a lot more sense given the lack of an entire campaign/branch. We never even visited all the continents, and the one we can see turned out to have vast areas outside the boundaries of the like three zones (two of which are repeated) that were never even finished. In fact, you wouldn't even know that an entire nation/continent full of dudes loyal to the MC exists if you didn't play MP and choose that nationality. They never show up in the main storyline (which again is technically the shortened alternate bad ending because they didn't get to put the good ending storyline branch in) at all which is one heck of a hole in the plot given that the royal family is getting butchered and the capital of the state they're a vassal or whatever too is being occupied and turned into an eldritch nightmare zone.

Basically, FF15 was maybe a 1/4th of a full game and when the devs that were brought in to get that game out after it was remade like 3 times tried to finish it with DLC and then an expansion on top of giving it lasting appeal with modding the execs just told them to screw off. This also technically involved committing deliberate acts of false advertising and stealing a fair amount of consumer money on false promises but hey costs gotta get cut if you want those bonuses right?

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 13, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Final Fantasy 15 had a lot of problems, but it greatly excelled in the mechanics of hanging out with the boys on a road trip, which somehow made it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Spider Mans 2 had a good story.