Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

site posted:

tbh "any criminal can be a cat burglar" seems like one of the least implausible things that happens in gotham every week

Oh for sure and I more mean that it's an interesting shakeup that still leaves lots of room for other stories to be told while it's dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Dawgstar posted:

Most of Taylor's run has been Nightwing fixing Bludhaven at the source of the problems instead of just beating up people in masks. There is of course also a large amount of beating up people in masks.

Dick once again proving that he is the better Batman superhero

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cassa posted:

But it's also kind of odd that every crim in Gotham has the capability to be a cat burglar, surely some have to bomb out and still go back to henching.

Sadly there wasn't enough time to go into that. Though one could say being a henchperson is a bit of a self selecting process physically and mentally. I can't imagine someone who doesn't have the physique or stamina lasts too long doing leg work for someone like Two-Face or Scarecrow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the henchpeople still standing are the ones that are not literally incapable of standing because batman crippled them. so, a lot of them are probably some combination of cautious, agile and lucky.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The new Sandman book started on DC infinite. It is good.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The last page of the new issue of Birds of Prey is goddamn fierce.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

The new Sandman book started on DC infinite. It is good.

Who's writing it?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Birds of Prey is a fun book.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Air Skwirl posted:

Who's writing it?

Venditti

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Birds of Prey is a fun book.

I had a though about how there's basically two modes of King Shark now (one closer to The Suicide Squad version, one closer to the Harley Quinn TAS version) and that DC should just lean into in the comics and literally have two of them running around.

Also new Superman '78 series is starting and it's their take on Metallo from the USSR of the late 70s.

Fire and Ice is still going good and just lmao at Fire suggesting to distract Jimmy with her boobs and Ice seriously considering it.

Meanwhile in Gotham, there's this:

And this

And also Savage is now gonna stick around the city for a while because he has no choice.

At least Birds of Prey is good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is that the Batman Beyond of Zur Enn Ar?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
dang a new 3rd joker? 4th joker?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vandar posted:

The last page of the new issue of Birds of Prey is goddamn fierce.

This book kicks rear end! My current favorite DC book.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I can't believe that they're pretending 3 Jokers didn't happen and continuing from the Justice League reveal of there being 3 Jokers to do another 3 Jokers story, it boggles my mind that anyone could have an idea that bad

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Is that the Batmen Beyond of Zur Enn Ar?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I still don't understand why they set the Joker limit so low. Surely if you're doing multiple Jokers, you want space for as many Jokers as you can think of

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I knew that the fourth Joker was foretold in the scripture! The Crime Bible, presumably

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just read the Three Jokers and I didn't really love or hate it beyond just thinking the whole concept of three Jokers is kind of dumb, but the reveal that Batman knew who the last remaining Joker was the whole timewas a cool Batman reveal whether it made sense or not.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Three Jokers had the terrible Barbara and Jason thing that's best left out of continuity.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh, I forgot to say I also read Joker War last week, and it wasn't very good, which was disappointing because I liked Tynion's run on Detective a lot. The idea of Joker knowing Batman's identity but not caring has been around for a while and Three Jokers having Joker explain why he wouldn't reveal Batman's identity was good, and I think Joker War proved why it's sometimes better to leave some bells unrung. I get why it's hard to do that forever in comics that never end though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Idk why they decided to reincorporate that whole aborted idea after the fact. They could've just stopped with the two in The Man Who Stopped Laughing, but instead, a twist!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Xelkelvos posted:

Idk why they decided to reincorporate that whole aborted idea after the fact. They could've just stopped with the two in The Man Who Stopped Laughing, but instead, a twist!

I’ve actually enjoyed that book. It’s stupid and sometimes stupid is what hits the spot.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Codependent Poster posted:

Three Jokers had the terrible Barbara and Jason thing that's best left out of continuity.

The scene where Jason puts his heartfelt love letter on Babs' door and it immediately falls off and gets thrown in the trash by a janitor is one of the most unintentionally funny pages.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like it might have been intentional. Like in the letter he says if you're not interested I'll never mention it again, and then a janitor throws it in the continuity garbage bin.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Joe Fisto posted:

I’ve actually enjoyed that book. It’s stupid and sometimes stupid is what hits the spot.

I definitely enjoyed Manhunter and her just being sick of cape poo poo but going in one last time because of The Joker

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Still reading Joker stuff, and Tynion's run on Joker was way better than Joker War, even if the title feels a little like false advertising given that Gordon's the protagonist and a lot of it isn't really about Joker. I'm really surprised it wasn't Black Label, because some of the cannibalism stuff was pretty gross. Joker calling out Bane for not killing Alfred in front of Batman felt like Tynion straight up criticizing King (or at least the editors who made it a real death instead of a fake-out), so that was interesting too. I thought the horror aspect worked well here, so I'm looking forward to checking out some of Tynion's indie stuff after I catch up on my big 2 books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Talking about Tynion he is always an author that I want to like more than I do. I find his characters can all sound very same-y and he is more interested in ideas than stories. Also I find that he has a serious issue with pacing sometimes. I am reading a bunch of his indie stuff right now and it just takes forever for things to actually happen or any resolution to show up to finish something off.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Nice House on the Lake was a book I loved up until the last issue, and that poisoned the whole series for me. I guess he really did learn a lot from his mentor Snyder and American Vampire.

He does lots of books I like and he is definitely one of the better guys working right now, but so often things do feel really stretched out and then don't really have a satisfying conclusion. Something is Killing the Children is a perfect 15 issue story that unfortunately is on issue 30 and 19 issues into a spin off title. I totally understand the book being hot so why not keep going as an impulse. Hell, writing books is just a job like any other full stop for industry writers and artists. Worldtree feels so much like trying to recapture the weird mystery of Department of Truth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Still reading Joker stuff, and Tynion's run on Joker was way better than Joker War, even if the title feels a little like false advertising given that Gordon's the protagonist and a lot of it isn't really about Joker. I'm really surprised it wasn't Black Label, because some of the cannibalism stuff was pretty gross. Joker calling out Bane for not killing Alfred in front of Batman felt like Tynion straight up criticizing King (or at least the editors who made it a real death instead of a fake-out), so that was interesting too. I thought the horror aspect worked well here, so I'm looking forward to checking out some of Tynion's indie stuff after I catch up on my big 2 books.

The Joker series is actually good and yeah, it feel like it might been a Gordon book that was retitled. That said, it also helps as a transition of part of the status quo after Gordon retired. The backup, idgaf about and frankly I hope no one else does.

Also, a thing I didn't mention is that Azrael's gone through a bit of development and that some of his enhancements is actually New God tech based. Also he's now a part of a team with an assassin who tried to kill Catwoman and an engineered replacement for Bane that was introduced in the aformentioned Joker series. This is a group that will probably be forgotten in a year, but could actually be fun as hell while they exist despite essentially being a pile of leftover characters put into a group and letting them loose (kinda like that new Outsiders series that's upcoming).

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 11, 2023

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just read a bunch of stuff about the 5G poo poo Didio was planning, and I feel like I really need to give Tynion a pass for Joker War if some of that stuff is true. If he went into it thinking it was the last Batman and Joker conflict before Batman would hire Joker to kill Bane (??) and then had to write a totally different ending, it would explain why the actual ending was such a wet fart after all the buildup. I'm still finding it hard to believe DC wanted to throw away all their characters though, it just seems like a totally insane idea.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Batman was going to do what now

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Supposedly he was going to agree to let Joker go free at the end only if he'd kill Bane to get revenge for Bane killing Alfred, and it was going to lead to Batman retiring and then later being prosecuted for murder and Jace Fox being the new Batman (and most of the other Future State stuff was also meant to be the status quo going forward). If Bane was going to die originally, it makes the lady Bane stuff make more sense too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How high on your own farts do you have to be to imagine DC is gonna let you have Batman kill somebody

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

site posted:

How high on your own farts do you have to be to imagine DC is gonna let you have Batman kill somebody

From what I've seen, 5G was an editorial mandate to get rid of all the major characters like Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and not replace them with their currently existing legacy versions (except for Jon Kent) but new characters altogether to basically do to the Justice League (and Titans/Teen Titans I guess since they're presumably meant to be the third and fourth generations?) what the Justice League did to the Justice Society, to be replaced with a new Justice Alliance. So it wasn't some writer huffing his farts and wanting to destroy Batman, it was Dan Didio, with Scott Snyder being the biggest guy saying wtf do you all think you're doing and begging Grant Morrison to help stop it, and Bendis being the biggest supporter. But maybe the reason it got killed was because the movie people said wtf are you doing, idk.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Bendis being all in on destroying continuity? Noooo, that's impoooossible

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Having Batman retire or go off screen for a while and get replaced by a next generation is a really cool idea, but maybe Batman being complicit in or actively encouraging murder isn't the right way to do that?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

StumblyWumbly posted:

Having Batman retire or go off screen for a while and get replaced by a next generation is a really cool idea, but maybe Batman being complicit in or actively encouraging murder isn't the right way to do that?

Certainly DiDio doesn't help the stereotype that most editors are frustrated and failed writers.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
5G was one of those ideas that I don't necessarily hate, but there's no way it would work as planned and the inevitable attempt to retcon it out while keeping the bits people liked would have been an absolute nightmare for editorial.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

From what I've seen, 5G was an editorial mandate to get rid of all the major characters like Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and not replace them with their currently existing legacy versions (except for Jon Kent) but new characters altogether

Legacy characters are ones of the best parts of DC and something fairly unique they have compared to Marvel, so it makes sense that DC editorial seems to hate the concept and undermine it or flat out undo it whenever they can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Okay, I did not have Batwoman and Fox Jr taking up Jakita and Elijah's mantle on my DC bingo card but hey, here we are I guess.