Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

We only turned one trailing arm bolt into dust, but it absolutely vaporized it. I’ve never seen a snapped bolt so twisted in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The only downside is the size/weight of the thing. It’s a little too long to fit in a lot of tight places, so I guess that means I need to pick up one of the stubby guys to supplement.

this is exactly the move.

the lil guy can do 200-250 ft-lb or so, so it handles most things. for the stuff that's really stuck, then the big nutfucker comes out.
both of those sockets are 3/4", by the way, lol

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Did they fix the mechanically flawed design revision?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Raluek posted:

this is exactly the move.

the lil guy can do 200-250 ft-lb or so, so it handles most things. for the stuff that's really stuck, then the big nutfucker comes out.
both of those sockets are 3/4", by the way, lol

M12 stubby with Astro stubby sockets is a pro gamer move. The new mid torque is almost the same length as the M12 stubby, it's nuts.

Rectal Placenta posted:

Did they fix the mechanically flawed design revision?

The affected 2767 models were all recalled.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dr. Lunchables posted:

We only turned one trailing arm bolt into dust, but it absolutely vaporized it. I’ve never seen a snapped bolt so twisted in my life.

The thing I always say about these, it's going to get the nut off or snap it entirely. Either way problem solved. (assuming it's a bolt and nut and not like a head stud or something)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I compromised and picked up the Makita midtorque for my first electric impact, mostly because I needed to have an impact gun where I wouldn't have air available, but I do any heavy work at home with a big air gun/compressor available if need be. Worst job so far with the electric was axle nuts, and it zipped them right off with no issues.

Anything that needs more I still have a big air impact, but I'm trying to decide if my next purchase is the bigger electric to replace my air gun entirely, or the subcompact in a 3/8 with stubby sockets to get in tighter spots.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PitViper posted:

I compromised and picked up the Makita midtorque for my first electric impact, mostly because I needed to have an impact gun where I wouldn't have air available, but I do any heavy work at home with a big air gun/compressor available if need be. Worst job so far with the electric was axle nuts, and it zipped them right off with no issues.

Anything that needs more I still have a big air impact, but I'm trying to decide if my next purchase is the bigger electric to replace my air gun entirely, or the subcompact in a 3/8 with stubby sockets to get in tighter spots.

Same, I've got an older compact Makita XWT11Z impact wrench and it's just aces. Granted I'm not a heavy duty user, but it's had no problems with rustbelt suspension work, axle nuts, lawnmower blades, lag bolts, you name it. It's only 210 ft lbs, but adjustable speed means it consistently delivers 90 ft lbs on low, which is spot on for lug nuts. Plus it fits in just about everywhere I need it with the head being so small. I finally said fuckit and got rid of my pneumatic impact because I haven't touched it in years, and I just have no idea what I'd even need any more torque for. I guess a towing hitch receiver nut is 250 ft lbs, but I was able to spin the nut off mine without any issues, and I just used a torque wrench when reapplying it anyways.

We live in a golden age of quality tools--brushless lithium battery tools are just magic, especially when I look back at NiCad cordless drills.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Thinking back on those NiCad drills….woof. Those were absolutely miserable.

Need to use your drill? Hope you remembered to charge it in the last 2 weeks!

Also the battery will be shot in 3 years (if you’re lucky)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I am old enough to remember my parents going from the snap action trigger 7.2V Makita drill to the electronic trigger version, what a huge difference.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

PitViper posted:

I have the aforementioned Milwaukee, but several years ago when they were only like $25 I purchased a Harbor Frieght electric impact for when I did not want to deal with dragging air hoses, etc. It is/was great for the money and unitl I got the Milwuakee, I haven't used my air powered one since. Looks like it is about $45 now, Chicago Electric.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

Catatron Prime posted:

We live in a golden age of quality tools--brushless lithium battery tools are just magic, especially when I look back at NiCad cordless drills.

I see those things at garage and estate sales all the time for $25 and think you couldn't pay me $5 to buy them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Besides price, what are the pros and cons of reversible (with the little lever) vs non-reversible ratcheting wrenches?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

Besides price, what are the pros and cons of reversible (with the little lever) vs non-reversible ratcheting wrenches?

You can't get ones with a lever stuck somewhere because you backed a bolt into a cross member. You also don't have to try it three times to go the right direction. The fact that I can predict the direction of travel based on the angle of the head was a skill I learned against my will. Available as a flex head which is nice when you need it.

Non reversible are cheaper. Presumably also less complicated and possibly more durable.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The non-reversible ones have to either be articulated or have basically no angle on the box end so you can flip them over, both of those solutions kinda suck

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I much prefer the non-reversible ones. Just look at the direction the open end is pointing to tell the direction. I also like the straight box end, so different strokes and all that. They are also definitely more durable if you are going to do horrible things to them, nothing to slip out of position when you are putting the big impact on the other side or hooking a cheater bar over the wrench.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've only learned not to back mine into casting webs twice now. At least that means I've got two 9/16 and one stubby 9/16 now which occasionally comes in handy.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I like the ones that can fit two sizes on each end of the wrench.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i like the reversible ones because of the offset on the box end, primarily. the other thing is that sometimes they'll have that ring at the top so they stay at the top of the fastener head, rather than slipping all the way through.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ThinkFear posted:

They are also definitely more durable if you are going to do horrible things to them, nothing to slip out of position when you are putting the big impact on the other side or hooking a cheater bar over the wrench.

Doing horrible things to wrenches is the sole reason I've still got a set of good old combination wrenches gathering dust. I'd think it would be easy to gently caress up the pawls with hammer blows?

But then again, why even bother worrying about that when I could just go to HD and pick up a brand new ratcheting wrench for six bucks? Or wait till a holiday sale and upgrade them all to a 90 tooth set :aaaaa:

Besides, anything that needs a hammer typically either gets the kroil treatment or the impact wrench anyways

I'm in absolute shock that I can get a set of wrenches with almost as good swing arc as my nicest 120XP ratchets, and it looks like the Milwaukee ratchets are even a 2.5 degree swing arc. We live in magical times

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Any deals on a M18 tool combo coming up? I need a battery and charger but don't need a 4th drill/driver combo but a big impact would be extremely useful.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SpeedFreek posted:

Any deals on a M18 tool combo coming up? I need a battery and charger but don't need a 4th drill/driver combo but a big impact would be extremely useful.

I've been watching the garage journal milwaukee deals thread and there hasn't been much so far that isn't the thing where you buy a tool you don't need for the batteries and return the tool while keeping the batteries.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
toolguyd blog has extensive black friday coverage

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

toolguyd blog has extensive black friday coverage

Can confirm. https://toolguyd.com/

Solid tool blog the rest of the year too.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Thanks, looks like I'll be getting a D20V to M18 adapter and a rebuild kit for my pneumatic impact for now. Bookmarking that page for later though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm not surprised, but none of the milwaukee stuff is what I'm wanting. I was hoping to grab an m12 fuel 3/8 ratchet and impact on sale but I'm not really seeing either of those anywhere.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

fknlo posted:

I'm not surprised, but none of the milwaukee stuff is what I'm wanting. I was hoping to grab an m12 fuel 3/8 ratchet and impact on sale but I'm not really seeing either of those anywhere.

Unfortunately you just missed the M12 BOGO Ratchet deal: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...2452S/320559279

Now it looks like the only thing available as the free gift is a battery. The idea is you buy both for 200, then return the high output battery kit for 90$ back and keep the ratchet for 110$.

I would say you might check Fleabay, I didn't check too hard but looks like you can get a new brushless ratchet for 120$ : https://www.ebay.com/itm/235303429818

When HD recently had the Makita kit on a similar sale, I tried to buy it at the store but the ad was for 6AH batteries which they didn't have in stock, so I couldn't get the bogo deal in person. So, I just checked ebay and bought the Makita bare tool ratchet brand new for 100$ and skipped the nonsense of having to return batteries I didn't need

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: This Wednesday 11/22 is the last day to sign up! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Did you catch a joke probation, make a super embarrassing post complaining about it, and need some holiday cheer to get you back in the shitposting spirit?

Then sign up for Automotive Insanity's Secret Santa! Some goon will send you a random assortment of items, mostly some broken car parts, and there is an option for penis-emblazonment. I have enjoyed it so much over the years that I volunteered to pick up the mantle from slothrop and organize it for 2023. So come on down and spread the holiday cheeks cheer!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

fknlo posted:

ACME tools has this: https://www.acmetools.com/milwaukee...edium=affiliate

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: LAST CHANCE, PROCRASTINATORS! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I bought a huge (by my standards) toolbox today and am now posting about it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...8BB1S/313765821

I am very excited for it to show up. Less excited about loading and unloading it. Also I have nowhere near enough tools to fill all this space.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

WTFBEES posted:

I am very excited for it to show up. Less excited about loading and unloading it. Also I have nowhere near enough tools to fill all this space.
Only one way to solve that...

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

WTFBEES posted:

Oh, you'll fill it. Nice buy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

WTFBEES posted:

Grats!

Here ya go, if you need help filling it with a buncha redundant wrenches!

I have the opposite problem, I just picked up a new chest too but it's already full up and I've still got things piled up on my bench stratifying into geologic layers :ohdear:

Now I'm trying to go through the exercise of trying to figure out just how many socket sets are too many? And what do I with stuff like my first full socket set my dad gave me that I don't use anymore? And why did I spent a hundred bucks on a bubble flaring tool for brake lines that I used exactly once? Or this enormous old pneumatic framing nailer I found at a garage sale that is pretty sweet but again only ever used once and takes up entirely too much space? Or an old 3' Ridgid pipe wrench for when you really need to slip on the cheater bar and unfuckulate something heavy? Time to pare down, but man, I hate getting rid of something I'll probably need again in a few years

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Catatron Prime posted:

Time to pare down get another toolbox

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Catatron Prime posted:

Now I'm trying to go through the exercise of trying to figure out just how many socket sets are too many? And what do I with stuff like my first full socket set my dad gave me that I don't use anymore? And why did I spent a hundred bucks on a bubble flaring tool for brake lines that I used exactly once? Or this enormous old pneumatic framing nailer I found at a garage sale that is pretty sweet but again only ever used once and takes up entirely too much space? Or an old 3' Ridgid pipe wrench for when you really need to slip on the cheater bar and unfuckulate something heavy? Time to pare down, but man, I hate getting rid of something I'll probably need again in a few years

Better to have the tools than need them in the future.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

Nice, I paid more than that 3 years ago (non black friday) for that toolbox and now it's regular price is 25% higher, making that a great deal. I somehow managed to unpack and set it up all by myself, definitely do not recommend. Now I have the opposite problem as you, I'm downsizing to an apartment and need to sell the toolbox or put it into storage :(

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Better to have the tools than need them in the future.

This times a million; best feeling in the world is being faced with some god awful unexpected issue and realizing "WAIT!! I have that tool!" and saving yourself money and time.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That's why I have a never ending parade of projects, always chasing that high...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
One day I'll go to remove an axle nut and actually have the right socket without having to go buy one. Most recently, I had a 36mm socket but not a deepwell 36mm socket.

Surely next time it'll be one that I already have.

WTFBEES posted:

Congrats. I got a deal on a clearance display of the 48" version of that this summer. Huge upgrade over my old 3-tier Harbor Freight box. Also the exact dimensions of the cargo area on a Grand Cherokee. I used to load a bunch of poo poo into people's cars back when I worked at Lowe's so I was trying not to be that customer, but the two guys that were helping me load it at the store weren't very good. My wife was much more helpful getting it back out.

I'm still slowly moving stuff over because I'm lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cat Hatter posted:

One day I'll go to remove an axle nut and actually have the right socket without having to go buy one. Most recently, I had a 36mm socket but not a deepwell 36mm socket.

I usually go the rent-a-tool route with axle nut sockets. One of the few things that even the previous biggest idiot can't eff up to make unusable.