Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

Todd, why do you do this?

He's like a classic eccentric millionaire just doing whatever the hell he wants with his toy company, absolutely not giving a gently caress if it's what anyone would call a "good idea," and you have to kind of admire that.

He's just like, let's do the entire classic Justice League, but only as snarling vampires. Let's clog the pegs with bizarre characters nobody wants, with a new wave every four days. Let's take the few products with universal appeal and make them exclusives and rare chase variants, and just watch the collectors trip over each other. gently caress you, nerds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Sanschel posted:

https://store-horsemen.myshopify.com/products/pre-order-bodvar-deluxe-beast

They said he’ll come with swiping paws, two heads, and a neck adapter so he can look down when standing, so it sounds like the neck is the only piece needed when changing stances.

Yeah, it's just the neck piece to switch out. He has both a neutral head and an open mouth head. He's very tall -- a little taller than a ML troll. Looks great in person

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

Picked up the "collector edition" Firestorm and Sinestro. I am a sucker for the goofy classic costumes so Firestorm rules. Sinestro is nice and classic as well.

I want the Hawkman as well, but not the standard edition. That one is boring, just him wearing blue pants. I want the chase in the classic Hawkman colors. That means I can't just order the goddamn thing online. I have to get lucky and find it in store or resort to ebay.

Todd, why do you do this?

I just bit the bullet and grabbed Hawkman on eBay for $60, sucks to pay that but I got impatient waiting for a lottery I may not even win to have the option to purchase for $40 shipped. I’ll say he’s very nice with Jay and Alan, even though I hate the greasy black hair sticking out of his mask, but it would’ve been nice to just pick him up like a normal drat figure.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The_Doctor posted:

I wish they did him in other outfits. He’s in that one for about 3 seconds before any player changes it.
I'm not sure what any toy company could do to meet anything resembling TOTK gameplay expectations of outfits short of an additional $50-$200 of extra arms/legs/torsos. Even if they were able to come up with 70% solution, you'd still have people whining about their missing favorite outfit like "Buh-buh...where's the Ancient Heroes Aspect?!!!!!"

Like me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cheesus posted:

I'm not sure what any toy company could do to meet anything resembling TOTK gameplay expectations of outfits short of an additional $50-$200 of extra arms/legs/torsos. Even if they were able to come up with 70% solution, you'd still have people whining about their missing favorite outfit like "Buh-buh...where's the Ancient Heroes Aspect?!!!!!"

Like me.

Let’s not be obtuse about this. The players demand the Gerudo outfit.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Gripweed posted:

And we all know what they’ll do with it if they get it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gripweed posted:

How bold of you to assume I make Link wear clothes. :imunfunny:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

please make link wear close thanks

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

When it’s appropriate, sure.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Any clue when TOTK Link will go up for preorder? That's an instant cop for me

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

epsilon posted:

Any clue when TOTK Link will go up for preorder? That's an instant cop for me

It's usually quite a while from these unpainted prototype announcements.

In some cases, years.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Samus from metroid Dread was first announced with just concept art in Feb ‘22 and released in October ‘23, so figure 18 months give or take if we’re seeing an actual prototype.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Target tonight was well-stocked with the new Moon Knight, and I picked one up.

I don't like the airbrush blast of gray on his chest. I think it was a weird, bad choice. I feel like they did this to help add contrast to the moon logo, but in execution it has the opposite effect and really distracts from it. If they wanted the logo to be white, I could see airbrushing gray around that for contrast, but the silver with a black border stands out fine from a white background on its own. They also did airbrushing under the hood, around his eyes, and on his cape, which doesn't look as bad but I'd still rather they didn't. All I ever wanted from Moon Knight was an all-white suit with no bullshit, which this basically is, but they didn't really stick the landing.

I simply picked out the one with the least gray airbrushing, but I might still try to scrub it off with some acetone later, or just paint white over it.
Or maybe I'll just say gently caress it and bask in the awkwardness for the life of this toy.

He's otherwise cool. It's an old buck with pinned joints which I don't love, but that's not really a gripe, because with his all-white suit they're hard to notice. I understand it's basically a reissue too. He comes with a pearl white version of Gambit's staff, which looks cool. The little crescent shuriken he comes with are some of the smallest accessories I've ever seen. His belt is really nicely detailed. He looks good on a shelf, weird gray paint and all.

My favorite Moon Knight figure is still the MCU one - that guy is rad. But I did really want a comics-based one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
No idea what the gently caress this is from.

Doesn't ring a bell from the comics.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Backwards S is a definite Bizarro thing, but that’s the Man of Steel movie costume in purple.

Is it literally just Bizarro SnyderSupes?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why you say that? My mom named Artham too.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I simply picked out the one with the least gray airbrushing, but I might still try to scrub it off with some acetone later, or just paint white over it.
Or maybe I'll just say gently caress it and bask in the awkwardness for the life of this toy.

Isopropyl Alcohol is better for this, doesn't harm the plastic.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There are people over on the Action Figure subreddit who actively collect and display the little space marine toys from the dollar store. I don’t know if they’re kids or adults, but I think that’s adorable. Good for them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re pretty neat for what they are. If you want something that evokes older lines that’s the one to do it. There’s vehicles and weapon packs, monsters ect

All for a dollar twenty five

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

space marine toys from the dollar store.

CelticPredator posted:

All for a dollar twenty five
:argh:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Welcome to America

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

CelticPredator posted:

Welcome to America

Hope you survive the experience!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Chuckles back in stock if you need him:
https://hasbropulse.com/products/g-i-joe-classified-series-philip-chuckles-provost-75

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dumb question: Was he always 42 bucks?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Yup

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

Plus loving shipping if you’re not subscribed to their little club. The price on that guy is absurd. I still don’t regret getting him though, he’s a really fun figure to have. I don’t care much about the fancy box and all the accessories, but they’re good. If he was just a regular release in a regular box at a normal price, that guy would be a must-have. Weird choice to make him so limited.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Some recent acquisitions:

The Limtoys Arthur Morgan is especially impressive in person, and comes with a crazy amount of accessories.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I was just wondering why nobody has made action figures of the original Blade Runner. I know NECA did a couple based on the sequel, which is a great movie, but I want Deckard in his oversized coat, and Roy clutching a dove, and Priss in her war paint. Someone go poke NECA.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

License issues. Or lack of interest. The 2049 figures didn’t do so hot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I was just wondering why nobody has made action figures of the original Blade Runner. I know NECA did a couple based on the sequel, which is a great movie, but I want Deckard in his oversized coat, and Roy clutching a dove, and Priss in her war paint. Someone go poke NECA.

Blade Runner TMNT figures on the way!

Donatello talking about how he made some replicant foot soldier's eyes, Mikey complaining about soy based pepperoni, April in shoulderpads wearing her hair high and tight, let's go

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 14, 2023

Mr. Yuk
Apr 1, 2005

In case of accidental ingestion, please consult a mortician.
I don't usually get high end figures, but I got Super7 Ultimates Slash and Metalhead on steep discount from BBTS, and these things are dangerous. I can never justify a full collection at $55 a piece, but I absolutely wish I could. The attention to detail on these is insane.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Stumbled onto Mafex Catwoman being back and stock and Amazon helpfully implying people also bought it with Mafex Nightwing and Huntress and almost did it.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Mr. Yuk posted:

I don't usually get high end figures, but I got Super7 Ultimates Slash and Metalhead on steep discount from BBTS, and these things are dangerous. I can never justify a full collection at $55 a piece, but I absolutely wish I could. The attention to detail on these is insane.

That line was great but unfortunately either Playmates or Nickelodeon told then they can no longer release updated versions of the old toys. That's the rumor, anyway.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I don't do much with pokemons but those guys just looked cute so I figured someone would want to know they existed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

:allears:

Hope he comes with a sixth scale almond joy.

Also, for the Hellboy fans, this... gal.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

License issues. Or lack of interest. The 2049 figures didn’t do so hot.

The 2049 movie kinda bombed on its release, but it's gained esteem over time - which is funny because that follows the pattern of the original movie - but anyway I'm not surprised the figures didn't sell well, they were kinda visually boring (old Harrison Ford in a plain gray t-shirt, whee) and also based on a movie that wasn't performing well at the time. I don't think the distribution was that hot either, I never saw them in stores. Again, I loved 2049, that's a great movie, but the characters in the original were a lot more toyetic if you ask me.

I figure somebody would need to acquire the license, and NECA probably didn't buy the rights to both movies at once. Basically I only shouted them out as a company because they specialize in classic 80s sci-fi movies great and small, and it seems very much in their wheelhouse. Honestly kind of a coincidence that they made the toys from the new Blade Runner movie, because they don't do that much new movie material, vintage properties are way more the kind of thing they do. It's not like they're afraid of cult status. I mean, Gargoyles was a pretty loving deep cut, nobody expected that, but they turned that toy line into a juggernaut and now nobody questions that choice.

I think they would have had way more success making figures from the original movie in the lead-up to the sequel, building up a little hype with the established audience in the process, and then do figures from the sequel if that did well. Missed opportunity, if you ask me.

Anyway, Blade Runner has been a top 3 favorite movie of mine for decades, and the lack of merch has always been a little frustrating. I take what I can get. I have not sought out the 1/6 scale bootleg Deckard figures that exist cause I'm not much of a 1/6 guy and they're super expensive. Replicas of his gun are plentiful and often affordable, but I'm not really a gun guy or prop guy either. I do have a few things that are pretty cool; the tiny police spinner and origami unicorn that came with the big fancy DVD box set (yes, I've watched all five cuts) and a two-foot-wide Blade Runner logo transparency thing that was made to go in a movie theater's ticket booth:

Currently posted up over my closet, but maybe someday I can set up some kind of cool light box for it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Shiftypenguin posted:

That line was great but unfortunately either Playmates or Nickelodeon told then they can no longer release updated versions of the old toys. That's the rumor, anyway.
Supposedly Playmates bitched at Nickelodeon. Super7 was told no. Then they realized they could basically make anything as all the old playmates designs had been used in other media/product, which Super7 was/is able to use.

Apparently a new handshake agreement is they can still do vintage figures, but at X% of total releases. So the next wave will be 4 2003 Turtles and the wave after that will be 3 vintage and 1 something else.

I guess this agreement made everyone happy. Also, supposedly Super 7 had a bunch of vintage stuff already sculpted and ready for production so this could go on for quite a while.

Also, I've literally never heard a good thing about how playmates does business.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

There’s supposed to be a new wave announced today. Here’s the updated Rat King

https://twitter.com/itstherocketeer/status/1724453289893478461?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I hope someone gets around to doing good TMNT Mutant Mayhem figures. The current ones are nice but everyone’s face is all :q: when that’s not really their personality in the movie (aside from Raph). Also some additional articulation wouldn’t hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The_Doctor posted:

I hope someone gets around to doing good TMNT Mutant Mayhem figures. The current ones are nice but everyone’s face is all :q: when that’s not really their personality in the movie (aside from Raph). Also some additional articulation wouldn’t hurt.

These turtles I can get into yeah