Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Ars Technica posted:

Starlink bug frustrates users: “They don’t have tech support? Just a FAQ? WTF?”

Users locked out of accounts can't submit tickets, and there's no phone number.

Starlink's lack of traditional customer support options is making life difficult today for new users affected by a bug that reset their accounts. A bunch of customers received an email from no-reply@starlink.com last night that said, "Your Starlink Account Has Been Reset. All pending orders and deposits have been refunded. You are welcome to visit Starlink.com to place a new order at any time using the same email address."

One Ars reader who got the account-reset email contacted us about the problem, and many others are complaining in Reddit threads. Starlink's account-recovery page that allows users to request password resets with an email address or phone number hasn't been working for them.

"When I try to reset my password via the email option, I get the error 'User not found,'" we were told by Adam, a Starlink customer in Alabama who preferred that we not publish his last name. When Adam tried to reset his password by entering his phone number, he received a text message with a password-reset link. But that didn't work, either. "After I type in a new password, I get the error message 'User disabled,'" Adam told us.

Despite the statement about refunds, Adam didn't have any orders or deposits refunded. He activated Starlink service on November 2 but doesn't know if service was interrupted. "I have it at another residence, and I haven't been there since receiving the message," he said.

Starlink is operated by Elon Musk's SpaceX corporation. We contacted SpaceX about the problem today and will update this article if we get any new information.

quote:

“They don’t have tech support? Just a FAQ? WTF?”

Another person who got the email noted that they cannot create a support ticket without being able to log in. A person in the same thread wrote, "Can't log in and if I do a password reset request it says my account doesn't exist. Only been using Starlink for a week. It also appears they don't have tech support? Just a FAQ? WTF?"

quote:

Emailing Starlink works... sometimes

PCMag recently examined all the options for contacting Starlink customer service. The top options include contacting customer support through the Starlink app or creating a support ticket in a web browser. But as previously noted, those options may not be available if your account is reset or disabled.

Emailing the address starlinkresolutions@spacex.com is apparently the next-best option. "Users online report that this sometimes works, but it's not guaranteed. You might have some success, and if not, you might want to try putting the phrase 'Consumer Complaint' in the subject line of the email," PCMag wrote.

One user on Reddit yesterday said they tried the starlinkresolutions@spacex.com email but hadn't yet received a response. "The Internet is still working at the moment but can't log in and submit a ticket," the person wrote.

Why not just call Starlink directly? Unfortunately, there is apparently no direct phone number for Starlink Internet users to call. As PCMag wrote, The number 1-855-753-2495 will sometimes come up in Google search results as a direct phone number for reaching Starlink tech support, but it won't be as helpful as it looks. That's not actually a SpaceX-affiliated phone number—it's the tech support line for Subaru Starlink, the car maker's similarly named in-vehicle infotainment system."

quote:

“I can’t find their phone number”

While many people already knew that Starlink customer support isn't robust, others were surprised to learn that they could not call customer support directly.

"For the life of me, I can't find their phone number or even a support email on the website. Can someone let me know an email? Or point out where I can find it?" one person wrote. The person also stated, "I'd really like to figure out what's going on, since next week I was going to cancel my DSL and unless I'm sure this is resolvable, I can't do that."

One customer in that thread wrote that "your only hope in this situation is to have another trusted Starlink customer create a Support ticket of your behalf, explaining the situation and identifying your account details. Support will enable you to gain access to your account [and will] require a reset of your password."

That's exactly what one user did, according to this comment. "My parents got the same message and they are new Starlink customers," the customer named John wrote. "So far my account is fine, but I've been a customer for over a year and a half. I've submitted a support ticket through the app about the issue and referenced multiple Reddit threads (including this one) on the issue, so I'm hoping they figure out the issue and get it resolved for everyone."

John received a reply from Starlink stating that the support team "resent a password verification to the account holders." But he wrote that his parents did not receive the reset message. Starlink support also "indicated that my parents' account was flagged for fraud for some reason, but they are not seeing anything in their bank records or credit card records indicating anything fraudulent," John wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

dr_rat posted:

When you read what Neuralink says they're doing, not what musk says they're doing, it's basically just, "you know that successful brain interface stuff that was done a decade ago, we're going to do that and just look at using some better materials and technology to hopefully make it a bit more convenient and effective." They don't seem to be doing anything new, just improving on existing stuff.

Anything musk says about it is just him lying/having no idea what he's talking about.

And with a shitload more dead monkeys.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

very cool that he's allowed to destroy astronomy and spaceflight and actively gently caress with a wartime interest for this poo poo

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

I've no idea either but appparenty Ford sells millions of Mavericks so they must have some uses

wait didn't the maverick used to be a cheaper version of the mustang?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Saltpowered posted:

You gotta have monkeys. It's how you know you're doing proper mad science and not just messing around in a lab. Next you'll want to cut their brightly-coloured-bubbling-beakers budget.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Saltpowered posted:

I've been informed they only use monkeys who were already on death row for committing horrible war crimes.

You're not standing up for the rights of horrible war crime monkeys are you????

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AlmightyBob posted:

wait didn't the maverick used to be a cheaper version of the mustang?

for less than a decade 50 years ago

car companies reuse IP all the time, Bugatti is just a marque that Volkswagen bought at firesale price to throw a bunch of high-end stuff they were working on together with a badge they could charge the price for vs. VW

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

how do you do fellow cowboys

https://x.com/catturd2/status/1723797358704533634?s=46&t=rSc-CAl4ZevcACnaJdfMFg

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Just for the record, his boots are 20 years old and his hat is ten years old.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

...! posted:

satellite internet stupidity

man just imagine instead of actually forcing/paying telcoms or govs to do a last mile of fiber or cable, we gave money to supa science man musk.

turely the way of the future.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

Just for the record, his boots are 20 years old and his hat is ten years old.

how old are his sunglasses & fake nose prop?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

I think Neuralink hype is the dumbest Elon fluffing there is. Worse than Mars. Forget complex tasks like driving, no one has even approached the "Hello World!" level of interfacing on top of human sight when it comes to brain chips. The idea that driving via brain chip is not only possible but a round-the-corner accomplishment like that from Musk just astonishes me.

Computer, play "The Matrix"

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Cocaine nail on the pinky visible

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

This will be great when it's like starlink but in your brain.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rad Russian posted:

Cocaine nail on the pinky visible

lol drat I didn't even notice that, good eye

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Got the double queen just for Caturd2

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Elon just going even more straight racist

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1723645332842549432?s=20

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Maybe screencap it. Normal people can't see what he's replying to.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

PhazonLink posted:

man just imagine instead of actually forcing/paying telcoms or govs to do a last mile of fiber or cable, we gave money to supa science man musk.

turely the way of the future.

A few years ago, Congress gave the cable industry hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to use to build out more internet infrastructure and make the whole thing more robust and hopefully bring down their prices for customers. The cable companies took the money and spent every last penny of it on bonuses for their executives. Then they raised their prices.

Unfortunately, Congress placed too much faith in them, so they didn't include a way to claw the money back if it wasn't used for its intended purpose. Complete dumbasses. So while what the cable companies did was tremendously evil, it was 100% legal.

That's the last time Congress has tried to get these companies to do anything. They've washed their hands of the whole thing.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Elon: what the deuce???

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That was not a 'mistake'. Everyone involved knew exactly the plan.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
mysterious unknowable politics.

*posts 99.9999999999....99999999999% regressive stuff like seriously has he ever actually posted a single non regressive thing ever*

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

CatTurd Ferguson

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

War Wizard posted:

Maybe screencap it. Normal people can't see what he's replying to.
It's this post

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CW, the replies to both the original tweet and musk's response quickly devolve into unmoderated anti-black and antisemitic slurs.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

lue noooooo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

catturd's first album, "My Boots Come Up to my Knees but I'm Not 5'4","

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i made it to an protest but it was full of wokes! they were spitting on the us flag! so i rushed 'em, but it was a trap. they scolded me and blew my shins off. last thing i remember i beat 'em all to death with a copy of the constitution. i woke up in a hospital and they were sewing my boots to my knees.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I use a lot of starlink stuff because I run events in places where cell or traditional broadband connections don’t work.

And it sucks.

Their support just reads back FAQ entries, asset shifting between accounts is impossible and there’s no sales development(huge for me because I was hoping to become a reseller).

Plus the app is dogshit to manage multiple devices and there no remote management tool you can use on a computer(their support suggested using an android emulator but I’ve tried multiple flavors and nothing launches).

Anyone who can figure out a way to subsidize satellite internet enough to get the price down and provide actual end user support is going run Starlink out of the biz.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

coconono posted:

I use a lot of starlink stuff...

yeah sounds like elon's involved

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

i made it to an protest but it was full of wokes! they were spitting on the us flag! so i rushed 'em, but it was a trap. they scolded me and blew my shins off. last thing i remember i beat 'em all to death with a copy of the constitution. i woke up in a hospital and they were sewing my boots to my knees.

Does that mean you're kneeling all the time? What if someone plays the national anthem?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

coconono posted:

no remote management tool you can use on a computer(their support suggested using an android emulator but I’ve tried multiple flavors and nothing launches).

i love that supa science / 90s programmer musk has no real way to manage a tech thing from a real computer.

yup he's a real life science man that personally does science and code and not just scream at workers between ket blackouts

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MrQwerty posted:

yeah sounds like elon's involved

I wish. Then at least I’d get someone to yell at when I can’t properly manage the fuckin things. Or get parts.

The nearest we got was sat rentals which were 10/10 connections for $3k/mo with data caps. That’s not enough to run credit cards so race fans can get their brew on in the middle of nowhere.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

coconono posted:

Anyone who can figure out a way to subsidize satellite internet enough to get the price down and provide actual end user support is going run Starlink out of the biz.

Jassy is getting in on that business soon.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

coconono posted:

I wish. Then at least I’d get someone to yell at when I can’t properly manage the fuckin things. Or get parts.

The nearest we got was sat rentals which were 10/10 connections for $3k/mo with data caps. That’s not enough to run credit cards so race fans can get their brew on in the middle of nowhere.

oh I meant it sounds like elon is involved in the operation of the network

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

turdstock

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Saltpowered posted:

It’s possible to have resale restrictions in car sale contracts but I doubt any of the legal/legit reasons apply to the cybertruck. This is a pretty pathetic attempt to avoid negative consequences that is almost certainly not going to hold up.

I suspect they're actually just aping GM. When they presold the Hummer EV they got over 100,000, and then managed to make about 100 a year, so people started selling them if they actually got their preorder for like twice the price they paid, then adding themselves to the preorder list again. Basically a bunch of people managed to get Hummer EVs for free or even make a profit due to apparently rich, insane truck guys who couldn't wait for GM to ever actually make more of them.

GM eventually added "no resale for a year" to the trucks, and also closed the preorder list.

I guess the real indication is that Tesla too will be unable to manufacture more than 100 of the awful things per year.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MrQwerty posted:

oh I meant it sounds like elon is involved in the operation of the network

There’s no firewalls so yeah he def has his ket stained fingers all over this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They've made 800 of the hummer evs since they launched 2 years ago. What is with electric slabs of truckular death and the slowest construction process possible?