Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Threading the needle of casual and "competitive" is pretty drat hard. Especially considering the nature of 99 card singleton and getting random draws.

One of my more chill decks is my goblin deck but it still ended up feeling oppressive from the right draw. I was against some newish players and decided gently caress it and kept a 1 land hand because it also had Goblin Lackey, Siege Gang Commander, and Goblin Chieftain. Lucked into drawing Warren Instigator and Krenko in the first couple turns and it got out of hand fast since no one had the mana for most wipes yet.

At least locally, most of the time when someone complains about a deck being a "CEDH deck" it wouldn't stand the slightest chance at an actually competitive table, they're just mad it beat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The dude to my right hit my Thada Adel with a Condemn. It wasn't even going at him! I think he had some big artifacts that he didn't want me to exile/steal on later turns and he just went ahead and got rid of the creature. He also hit Anowon with a Swords to Plowshares earlier and a Blighted Agent with Path to Exile (he had gained a ton of life and I was going to Infect him out of the game). I had a lot of poo poo thrown my way, is what I mean. Then he cast a Void Winnower and I used a Halo Forager to use his own Swords to Plowshares on it, lol.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Spanish Manlove posted:

I need Don Andres in spanish

I cannot wait to slot this in Evelyn

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

MissMarple posted:

my marchesa deck used to be about stealing people's stuff but i gave that up for proliferation and +1/+1 counters. i might've changed my mind if i saw this card a year ago.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

So does that also trigger if you mindslaver someone and cast their spells?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

So does that also trigger if you mindslaver someone and cast their spells?

No, that's still the opponent casting their own spells. Casting a spell you don't own is, like, Praetor's Grasp.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No, that's still the opponent casting their own spells. Casting a spell you don't own is, like, Praetor's Grasp.

Etali, Tasha, Evelyn, etc

I may just take apart nekusar for Don Andres as nekusar is fun for half a game and then he goes back into the box for the month

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Etali, Tasha, Evelyn, etc

I may just take apart nekusar for Don Andres as nekusar is fun for half a game and then he goes back into the box for the month

Thada Adel, Knowledge Exploitation, Dauthi Voidwalker, Xanathar, Memory Plunder, Halo Forager, Gonti, Nightveil Specter, Dire Fleet Daredevil, Mind's Dilation, Opposition Agent, Siphon Insight

E:

Decadent Dragon, Hostage Taker

This deck sounds fun!

E2

Diluvian Primordial

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 3, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

*doomguy pounding table*
XANATHAR! XANATHAR!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My dumb Ghyrson Starn deck actually won a game tonight after a couple month no win streak and I'm kinda sad. The deck is just amazing at infuriating opponents by pinging them over and over until the whole board teams up to trade how much damage each person can take to neutralize my board and then just bodies me. Which happened again tonight, but I was able to claw my way through it and drop two players causing the third to scoop since I had several cards in hand (a bunch of lands) and he just got board wiped.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Elmnt80 posted:

My dumb Ghyrson Starn deck actually won a game tonight after a couple month no win streak and I'm kinda sad.

I built Starn too and won exactly once, the first game, then they realized what was happening and never let me win again.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Got a cEDH win in today on xMage with Adeline, cEDH winconless stax. Was playing against Talion, Sidar Kondo/Tymna, and RogSi. We got the RogSi player low and they killed themselves with an Ad Naus. I played a well-timed Orim's Chant earlier in the game against the Sidar Kondo/Tymna player and then stuck an Archon of Emeria and an Eidolon of Rhetoric, allowing me to slow things down enough to set the pace of the game. The Adeline was constantly pressuring the Talion player and Bennie Bracks drew me an extra card on each of my turns. It was great!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

I built Starn too and won exactly once, the first game, then they realized what was happening and never let me win again.

Oh, I've been playing it frequently in my small play group over the last couple months. And at the precise moment I dealt 21 damage to each player and wiped the board on a single turn on my first game was the moment it started getting hatefucked off the board every game. I've tuned it enough now that I can usually hang until the games are nearing their conclusion anyways, but I genuinely don't care if the deck wins or not. It's a fun chaotic deck thats lets me make silly finger gun gestures. I may throw treasure nabber in for some good old "Our manarocks comrade :ussr:" fun.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Play To Win does a casual game

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MissMarple posted:

Same, op

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Got a cEDH win in today on xMage with Adeline, cEDH winconless stax. Was playing against Talion, Sidar Kondo/Tymna, and RogSi. We got the RogSi player low and they killed themselves with an Ad Naus. I played a well-timed Orim's Chant earlier in the game against the Sidar Kondo/Tymna player and then stuck an Archon of Emeria and an Eidolon of Rhetoric, allowing me to slow things down enough to set the pace of the game. The Adeline was constantly pressuring the Talion player and Bennie Bracks drew me an extra card on each of my turns. It was great!

lol I think I’ve had this deck bookmarked for a year or more now. It looks great! I really need to give it a try sometime.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TotalHell posted:

lol I think I’ve had this deck bookmarked for a year or more now. It looks great! I really need to give it a try sometime.

Certainly less thought involved than with some other decks!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So far every time I play Eriette I become the main threat on the table and everyone conspires against me, which I'm taking as a sign that the deck is working. True to the cartoon villain stereotype, it's never won because the other guys use the power of friendship to team up and storm my castle. Its so fun.

Last week my friend was playing an upgraded eldrazi precon and I put Glistening Oil on his commander (tldr each of my upkeeps it gets -1/-1/ but has infect the whole time) and he couldn't attack me because it was enchanted. So he spot removed eriette in order to attack me and I flashed in Swift Reconfiguration to turn his commander into a vehicle. He didn't have enough creatures to crew it. I felt like a Bond villain and another friend died laughing at the stupid layers of idiocy going on. Eventually they killed me through commander damage as the upgraded imperium deck player was tired of having Trespassers Curse (drains them when a creature enters their board) so the eldrazi guy and him teamed up to kill me. One of them activated rogues passage to let the other commander one shot me through my little army of Pegasi.

10/10 deck experience so long as you can have fun playing the villain.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

So far every time I play Eriette I become the main threat on the table and everyone conspires against me, which I'm taking as a sign that the deck is working. True to the cartoon villain stereotype, it's never won because the other guys use the power of friendship to team up and storm my castle. Its so fun.

Last week my friend was playing an upgraded eldrazi precon and I put Glistening Oil on his commander (tldr each of my upkeeps it gets -1/-1/ but has infect the whole time) and he couldn't attack me because it was enchanted. So he spot removed eriette in order to attack me and I flashed in Swift Reconfiguration to turn his commander into a vehicle. He didn't have enough creatures to crew it. I felt like a Bond villain and another friend died laughing at the stupid layers of idiocy going on. Eventually they killed me through commander damage as the upgraded imperium deck player was tired of having Trespassers Curse (drains them when a creature enters their board) so the eldrazi guy and him teamed up to kill me. One of them activated rogues passage to let the other commander one shot me through my little army of Pegasi.

10/10 deck experience so long as you can have fun playing the villain.

Why didn't you use Swift Reconfig to save Eriette?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Batterypowered7 posted:

Why didn't you use Swift Reconfig to save Eriette?

It was a target permanent spot removal, but that reminds me that I can use that as a goofy way to enable one sided board wipes

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was a target permanent spot removal, but that reminds me that I can use that as a goofy way to enable one sided board wipes

Someone else swift reconfigured my atraxa in my deck that runs 7 or 9 wraths, was a funny game (for me).

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I'm in Seal Beach onloading ordnance and we hit up a game shop and I picked up the Commander Masters suprfriends deck on a whim.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/5779047#paper

It slaps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I'm in Seal Beach onloading ordnance and we hit up a game shop and I picked up the Commander Masters suprfriends deck on a whim.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/5779047#paper

It slaps.

Seal Beach...

Gross.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is that a land for seal creature type synergy?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Whenever a Creature - Sailor enters the battlefield, create one colorless Alcohol token.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Only had to berth there twice. Once I was CDO, so couldn't leave the ship. Second time, CO had everyone just doing drills the whole time if they weren't involved in the physical onload. >_>

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Just got back from a very good commander tournament that had some incredible turnout. This tournament was Bingo/Point based and it didn't matter much if you won. But you would get a certain amount of points for certain criteria for being met. A lot of them had without infinite combo modifier so they had some really fun ones that everyone in the pod had to witness.

The theme of tonight was cats and I was the only player to bring out my Cat commander:

This is a heavily modified precon to include muuuuch faster equipments and more umph artifacts. Like The Kaldra set. This deck also tutors for equipment answers while trying to find smaller cats that can at least quickly benefit early on.

I was able to get points for having the most equipment on a single permanent as well as deal over 50 damage commander in a single swing. As well as other things! It was a really neat concept and everyone at this LGS had a fuckin blast.

I unfortunately got 7th place but I at least got a pizza and soda dinner for only spending 5 bucks to sign up for the tournament.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa that's a cool commander, I'm not surprised I hadn't seen it before since I mostly ignore commanders over 3-4 CMC but that passive effect makes up for the cost in my book. Wouldn't mind a cats deck either.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Khanstant posted:

Whoa that's a cool commander, I'm not surprised I hadn't seen it before since I mostly ignore commanders over 3-4 CMC but that passive effect makes up for the cost in my book. Wouldn't mind a cats deck either.

That's mostly because that commander deck release wave also had a wizards/spells deck, The Ur-Dragon, and Edgar Markov, which all mostly overshadowed Cat Deck barring some cool equipment it had.

Waxed a pod of people at a Precon-Only tournament back then with it, though. Only person who picked that deck. (Second round everyone was terrified of me and I was curbstomped but lmao success)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Lost a game last night, I was playing The Beamtown Bullies and gave an opponent Hunted Wumpus. Player next in turn order dropped some angel creature where you just win the game in your upkeep if you had >= 40 life.

They had 41 and we had no removal :cry:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Lost a game last night, I was playing The Beamtown Bullies and gave an opponent Hunted Wumpus. Player next in turn order dropped some angel creature where you just win the game in your upkeep if you had >= 40 life.

They had 41 and we had no removal :cry:

Felidar Sovereign, the cat?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Felidar Sovereign, the cat?

Yup, that's the one! I guess I can cross off "directly be responsible for handing the win to another player" from my bucket list :smithmouth:

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

My wife wants me to make her a Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy / Scion of Halaster deck. How does that kind of deck even win in a 4-player game? I'm guessing you want to get a little value from playing a bunch of cheap spells that let you cast other cheap spells, but it seems like everything is just 1 for 1. UB is the most popular combination on EDHrec, but like, how does it win?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

A Moose posted:

My wife wants me to make her a Gale, Waterdeep Prodigy / Scion of Halaster deck. How does that kind of deck even win in a 4-player game? I'm guessing you want to get a little value from playing a bunch of cheap spells that let you cast other cheap spells, but it seems like everything is just 1 for 1. UB is the most popular combination on EDHrec, but like, how does it win?

Uh... Put Talrand and Lord of the Nazgûl in the 99 as the secret commanders with ways to tutor them.

E:

Chrome Host Seedshark, Shark Typhoon, and Metallurgic Summonings as well.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 13, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
And effects like Thassa's Oracle and Laboratory Maniac can work well with the amount of card draw you have in a deck like that. Between that and what Batterypowered7 mentioned, it's clear you can go for anything in blue/black that turns casting a bunch of spells into winning the game.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I pulled a neon green ink cavern of souls from the new set and it's currently for sale for $2000. Hopefully it sells before wizards releases the rest of the collector boosters to their distributors in 3 weeks. Its one of only 4 total neon ink treatment cavern of souls for sale on tcgplayer right now. :haw:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A Moose posted:

Storm

Edit: also magecraft

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 13, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

I pulled a neon green ink cavern of souls from the new set and it's currently for sale for $2000. Hopefully it sells before wizards releases the rest of the collector boosters to their distributors in 3 weeks. Its one of only 4 total neon ink treatment cavern of souls for sale on tcgplayer right now. :haw:

Ooh buddy. Grats on the sick pull! Hope you get a couple of decks out of that sale.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ooh buddy. Grats on the sick pull! Hope you get a couple of decks out of that sale.

Tbh, I'm expecting the value to tank hard after a bit. Once it hits 1k, I'll probably just offer the shop owner it for his foil mana crypt and $300 in store credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Elmnt80 posted:

lemme hold twenty dollars