Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo it really sucks that if you play the definitive version of persona 5 the game dumps a massive pile of currency and consumables in your inventory. I want to play the game as it was tuned, I don't want a boost!

There are a few games that have "Full" releases that do that and I always genuinely hate it. I can just not use them but I don't like manually keeping track of that stuff and it bugs the poo poo out of me with the cheat Persona in 5 because they show up as part of regular fusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It really should just be in some menu where you pick if you want the item delivered to your DLC box or not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Max Wilco posted:

I've recruited Celine and did the cave quest for her, so she's officially part of the party (although Rena seems put off by it). Immediately after I first got her in the party, I went to the guild to do the missions around item crafting (IC) and, wow, there's a lot of skills to use.

I'm wondering if I should dedicate certain characters to learning certain skills? It looks like everyone learns everything at the same amounts, though with what I've done so far, Celine's acquired a secret talent for crafting, and Rena's acquired a special talent for cooking. I gave Claude a level or two pertaining to Writing, but maybe another character's better suited to that. Based on what the tutorials say, it sounds you want to dedicate one character to a set of skills, rather then trying to give everyone points in all skills.

With Celine's quest done, the next destination is Kurik, but I'm wondering if I recruit some of the other characters at this point. I know the first decision between recruitable characters is Opera and Ashton. Based on what I read, I was planning on going with Opera, but I wanted to ask where I need to go, and if maybe Ashton's a better choice (from what I read, Opera's better at range, and Ashton's more melee?)

I'm also wondering what I should set in Tactics to try and preserve MP usage. Rena and Celine seem to burn MP pretty fast, but I don't necessarily want to use the 'Don't Use MP' option, because I still want them to use spells, just not as quickly or frequently (I guess I could just stock up on MP restoring items).

I gave a couple characters a point in Purity, but I assumed maybe it just gave you cash overtime, when it's only on adding points.

I wasn't sure what the challenge quests were until I looked in the Missions menu and found them. Turned those in, so overall, now I've got almost 22,500 FOL, so I'm halfway to the Thief's Gloves.

Some chars may have the talents that make them better for certain skills to start with ie originality and customization. But all those talents can be learned eventually just by using the related skill so in the end every char can be just as good as another one.

You can't recruit anyone else yet. Opera is way better than Ashton, and Ernest is amazing as well.

Just get more mp restoring items. They are plentiful.

Make sure to get pickpocket and the thief gloves before going to Kurik. Besides doing guild missions, challenge missions and dumping points into purity for fol, you can also go to mansion in Harley and fish from the big jug of water. The ogre fish sell for ~1.6k iirc so it won't be too long before you have 40k.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

You can use the ogre fish as bait at the fishing spot right outside of town to catch even bigger, more valuable fish. That made getting money pretty smooth once I boosted my fishing skill a bit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I remember when skill points are sparse it's generally better for different characters to have different focuses rather and thinly spread out skills, however Super-specialties need multiple characters to be effective, and different characters will have different results within some specialties (for example, Rena and Claude make different items from metalcrafting, and characters can only customize their own weapons. And only adult characters can brew tea alcohol.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Max Wilco posted:

I'm wondering if I should dedicate certain characters to learning certain skills? It looks like everyone learns everything at the same amounts, though with what I've done so far, Celine's acquired a secret talent for crafting, and Rena's acquired a special talent for cooking. I gave Claude a level or two pertaining to Writing, but maybe another character's better suited to that. Based on what the tutorials say, it sounds you want to dedicate one character to a set of skills, rather then trying to give everyone points in all skills.

I'm also wondering what I should set in Tactics to try and preserve MP usage. Rena and Celine seem to burn MP pretty fast, but I don't necessarily want to use the 'Don't Use MP' option, because I still want them to use spells, just not as quickly or frequently (I guess I could just stock up on MP restoring items).

The only real restriction for skills is that non-casters can't get the Blessing of Mana talent and therefore can't Alchemize the best materials.

If you want better MP economy you could boost whatever skill gives you more STM, that stat determines the end of match hp and mp regen amount.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You can put points into the skill that boosts how much Blackberries and Blueberries restore and you can turn off specific spells if you don't want, for example, Rena to constantly spam Press or Deep Mist against enemies that Claude can one-shot.

Writing is good, it lets you raise certain skills up to level 7 without using skill points. Claude has a pretty good chance of getting the Writing-related talent too. There are a few characters who are technically guaranteed to have the talent for it but you can have Claude's Writing skill maxed out before you meet them so.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Played a bit of Little Goody Two Shoes, but the main character in that is enough of a jerk that I am not sure I am going to stick around. Very appealing visual design, and they are setting up cool stuff, but I am not sure I want to play the role of this character.

I had similar reservations on Elise but she's grown on me quite quickly. Most of her abrasiveness seems to be an act she puts on that doesn't match up with her actions.

(Minor day 1 and early day 2 spoilers) She immediately feels like she overreacted and regrets her initial treatment of Rozenmarie. I was pretty thorough in my initial exploration, and it reveals she has a pretty good relationship with most of the townsfolk outside of the ones who suck. In particular the old man who accuses her at the start of day two is not well like by most of the town.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Soul hackers 2 has one of those guys with the sharp teeth and the bad haircut and the general sense that you can't trust him at all and honestly that's like 90% of what I'm looking for in a male party member in a jrpg.

A face you cannot trust and that's why I trust him.

The best thing about him is that he's just an SMT Neutral protagonist except you're not playing as him. Keeping his alignment balanced by playing both sides and never committing to anything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just finished up SO2R. It really seems the game expects you to cheese a lot of things because I'm pretty sure they buffed the last few bosses compared to the original game. Like I could easily go Blood Armor/HP Drain and let Claude wreck everything, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the party would be dead for those fights if I didn't keep throwing resurrection items at them.

Now to decide how deep I want to dive into the post-game content.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Some chars may have the talents that make them better for certain skills to start with ie originality and customization. But all those talents can be learned eventually just by using the related skill so in the end every char can be just as good as another one.

You can't recruit anyone else yet. Opera is way better than Ashton, and Ernest is amazing as well.

Just get more mp restoring items. They are plentiful.

Make sure to get pickpocket and the thief gloves before going to Kurik. Besides doing guild missions, challenge missions and dumping points into purity for fol, you can also go to mansion in Harley and fish from the big jug of water. The ogre fish sell for ~1.6k iirc so it won't be too long before you have 40k.

avoraciopoctules posted:

You can use the ogre fish as bait at the fishing spot right outside of town to catch even bigger, more valuable fish. That made getting money pretty smooth once I boosted my fishing skill a bit.

I spent a good amount of time fishing for cash (to the point that I'm now wondering if there's some sort of fishing RPG out there), and I managed to get 100,000 FOL and the Thief's Gloves.

There's two problems, however. First is that I've only got one level in Pickpocketing, so my chance to steal is very low. I could dump all of Claude's current SP into it to get better chances, but that means forsaking other skills, unless I go out and grind for SP.

The second problem is how pickpocketing negatively affects the affinity between you and your party members. I knew this beforehand, but I thought it could be circumvented by pickpocketing NPCs during Private Action, but either I was wrong, or that was something that was changed from the PS1 version.

I was mainly aiming to get the Sprite's Braclet (which I think is the thing that gives you random items), so I don't know if I can get away with doing that with one level of Pickpocketing or not. I put a couple of points into the skill that reduces the SP requirement for other skills, but it doesn't make too much of a difference, and I don't know if there's a cap.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Max Wilco posted:

I spent a good amount of time fishing for cash (to the point that I'm now wondering if there's some sort of fishing RPG out there), and I managed to get 100,000 FOL and the Thief's Gloves.

There's two problems, however. First is that I've only got one level in Pickpocketing, so my chance to steal is very low. I could dump all of Claude's current SP into it to get better chances, but that means forsaking other skills, unless I go out and grind for SP.

The second problem is how pickpocketing negatively affects the affinity between you and your party members. I knew this beforehand, but I thought it could be circumvented by pickpocketing NPCs during Private Action, but either I was wrong, or that was something that was changed from the PS1 version.

I was mainly aiming to get the Sprite's Braclet (which I think is the thing that gives you random items), so I don't know if I can get away with doing that with one level of Pickpocketing or not. I put a couple of points into the skill that reduces the SP requirement for other skills, but it doesn't make too much of a difference, and I don't know if there's a cap.

Couple things!

1) the skill that drops sp requirements caps at 10, like all other skills do. You do want to max it asap.
2) You'll notice your party remains with you even in PA mode mechanically, so you can do things like use super specialties and so forth. This however does make the affinity drop from stealing impossible to avoid... BUT
3) the affinity drop is RNG. If you want, you can just reload until you do steal and don't get the drop, OR
4) you can rush unlocking Master Chef (two people with Cooking at level 4, one person with Compounding at level 1 iirc, and unfortunately the game doesn't show after you've unlocked it) to make Muscat Jellies (fruit + meat) which allow you to completely block the affinity drop for two thieving attempts.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Are you guys just stealing everything from every NPC? The actual hit to affection is very minor and if you're chasing endings, you're going to be using books to set affection levels anyhow, thus making the whole thing kind of pointless. I just stole things that looked rare/unique and never really noticed the times affection dropped.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ornamented Death posted:

Are you guys just stealing everything from every NPC? The actual hit to affection is very minor and if you're chasing endings, you're going to be using books to set affection levels anyhow, thus making the whole thing kind of pointless. I just stole things that looked rare/unique and never really noticed the times affection dropped.

things that looked interesting + all the fanfics and umai-bos

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leraika posted:

Couple things!

1) the skill that drops sp requirements caps at 10, like all other skills do. You do want to max it asap.
2) You'll notice your party remains with you even in PA mode mechanically, so you can do things like use super specialties and so forth. This however does make the affinity drop from stealing impossible to avoid... BUT
3) the affinity drop is RNG. If you want, you can just reload until you do steal and don't get the drop, OR
4) you can rush unlocking Master Chef (two people with Cooking at level 4, one person with Compounding at level 1 iirc, and unfortunately the game doesn't show after you've unlocked it) to make Muscat Jellies (fruit + meat) which allow you to completely block the affinity drop for two thieving attempts.

Okay, so knowing that, I got to rank 10 in Determination, which is relatively cheap since it's always 12 SP per level. With that, I was able to give Claude and Celine levels in Cooking for super cheap, and I was able to make some of those Muscat Jellies (which, I thought maybe they just negated affinity drops in general, but the item description mentions Pickpocketing specifically).

I don't know why, but I'm just kind of blown away. I knew you could break SO2 going in, but the more I learn about it, it's less like breaking a board in a half, and more like slamming a glass vase onto the pavement (at least at this point, maybe the end-game/post-game stuff will be different). Why aren't more games like this? Only other thing that comes to mind that's similar is Morrowind.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Once a Super Specialty is unlocked you can go to the screen where you improve your skills and press R2 and it'll tell you which skill is needed to increase them in case you've forgotten.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A big thing SO2R does the original didn't is make everything much more transparent. You could break the OG game in half, but it was much more believable that you'd never figure it out (especially before gamefaqs).

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I don't know what items the Sprite's Bracelet gives you that the Survival specialty doesn't, but I feel like it's really not that worth it. Pickpocketing takes too much SP and there wasn't that much good stuff available only through stealing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

I just made a bunch of the food that prevent losing affection for two steals. Though most NPCs don't have anything I want.

One thing that confuses me is that this one NPC had Thief's Gloves on it to pickpocket. But I thought Thief's Gloves were a prerequisite to be able to pickpocket. So what's the point? I actually did steal it in the hopes that I could sell it for a bunch, but I don't think I can (since it appears to be some sort of key item).

TurnipFritter posted:

You can put points into the skill that boosts how much Blackberries and Blueberries restore and you can turn off specific spells if you don't want, for example, Rena to constantly spam Press or Deep Mist against enemies that Claude can one-shot.

Writing is good, it lets you raise certain skills up to level 7 without using skill points. Claude has a pretty good chance of getting the Writing-related talent too. There are a few characters who are technically guaranteed to have the talent for it but you can have Claude's Writing skill maxed out before you meet them so.

I was concerned about MP use at first, until I realized that you can just end up with a zillion foods, many of which will restore MP.

SirSamVimes posted:

Imo it really sucks that if you play the definitive version of persona 5 the game dumps a massive pile of currency and consumables in your inventory. I want to play the game as it was tuned, I don't want a boost!

That's nothing compared to all the DLC personas. I'm normally unwilling to handicap myself in games, but I still set a personal rule that I wasn't willing to use any DLC personas that I didn't fuse myself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the item is more for novelty and completionism that it is useful , but it does rarely give the free level up item. The two later versions are much more useful. But also Survival in the PSX version was just kinda useless, it didn't periodically give you items, instead you'd use it to spend 4 mp to maybe get an item, so there was less... Function overlap?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure Survival gets you mostly crafting items, particularly food ones, while the sprite's bracelet has a much more eclectic loot table.

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that confuses me is that this one NPC had Thief's Gloves on it to pickpocket. But I thought Thief's Gloves were a prerequisite to be able to pickpocket. So what's the point?
Sometimes people seem to have pickpocket loot which is more "things this NPC would reasonably be carrying" than "something you'd actually care about stealing". Was this NPC the plot-relevant kid in Kurik?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
love using Hikari in Octopath II.
as much fun as I had trying to pretend to be pokemon with beastgirl, thematically, I think Hikari's story meshes better with Throne, Temenos and Osvald.

I felt it was a bit weak that in the story chapters, its just the actual character present, but came across by first dual side-chapter with Throne and Temenos, so that's neat.

Complaint right now it seems I can't just keep a library of learned skills for Hikari, I just have to constantly erase and replace on what looks fun. Different from beast girl, at least I get food for throwing away monsters

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 12, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm hoping a future Octopath III will tighten up the acquired skill system even further. H'annit -> Ochette was a big improvement to the beast tamer power, and it just needs a clear "what does this monster skill *actually* do" before having to replace one. Hikari catches weapon arts and I think being able to catch them all and then equipping a few to taste would fit better.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Nah, there has to be something limiting Hikari's loadout. Even if he only had two or three skill slots, being able to freely put in the exact right skill at the exact right time would be too much, and he's already one of the best characters as it is. It's just painful enough to duel for skill-swapping that most people won't do it constantly, and the people who will have optimization brainworms and will probably enjoy the process. Everyone else settles on a decent general-purpose loadout that keeps him at a reasonable level of power.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Finally made a little bit of progress. Went to Kilik and was able to pickpocket the Sprite's Braclet. Of course, I got side-tracked again doing more fishing, raising some skills, etc.

Eventually, I progressed the story so now Kilik has been destroyed. What's odd is that I read there are supposed to be two cutscene: one where there's an earthquake and another with a tidal wave, so unless those got rolled into one for the sequence, the latter got cut out.

I'm in Marze now, and Rena has left the party to join Dias to take on the bandits who kidnapped the children. Rather than jump on the next plot sequence, I spent about twenty minutes save-scumming with a Goodie Box I got (I think from the Fish Master) to gett he Sword of Marvels. At one point, I was going to settle on the Force Sword, but I read that consumes MP when you use it. Only question is whether or not I want to use it, since that will certainly trivialize combat.

-

I'm referring to the the Prima guide and the LP of the original, and I have to say, the remake seems to retain a lot of the same dialog as the original translation. There are changes, like alterations to make phrasing less awkward, but the script seems largely identical from what I've seen. The biggest alterations seem to be with names for items/locations.

One thing I do have to say is kind of disappointing is that, for as nice as the environments are in the remake, the pre-rendered backdrops of the original have a lot more character to them.

It'd be interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of everything that was added, changed or removed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That LP is characteristic of 2010's nastiness.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Well thanks, game; consider my sensibilities officially offended.

For the record: if you like Motoi Sakuraba, this may not be the LP for you, because I don't, and I will rip on him like hell. In fact, I think he's pretty much the worst thing since raw algorithmic composition.

lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
who even did that lp...ah i see...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A few years back, I asked The White Dragon here in the thread if he still disliked Motoi Sakaruba:

Fur20 posted:

i still dislike 90% of motoi sakuraba's music, but i also still think his battle themes (at least the ones composed on synths predating the ps2) are actually quite good. but once he gets his hands on more advanced synths, everything is just a screeching cacophany of random string synths, or his ubiquitous love of sampling the one or two clean lines from hard early 90s gangsta rap

Max Wilco posted:

I just remembered you described him as being, "worse than raw algorithmic compression", and I just thought that was really funny (despite not knowing what it is).

Fur20 posted:

i probably misnamed it but basically it's when you feed music software an rng seed and it spits out a piece of music where every synth and every note is written at random

kirbysuperstar posted:

who even did that lp...ah i see...

Did TWD do something wrong?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm sure he's made some good compositions that perfectly fit the games they're in, but when I think Sakuraba I can only hear the most generic interchangeable Sakuraba music he's put in every game.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Clarste posted:

I'm sure he's made some good compositions that perfectly fit the games they're in, but when I think Sakuraba I can only hear the most generic interchangeable Sakuraba music he's put in every game.

I think of Sif's theme from DS1 :woof:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think of the mario tennis music that sounds exactly like a ps1 tales boss theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdeFRqwvaVc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mNffzD7nPM

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Shower of Blossoms is one of my favorite town themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7T7nDQcDGU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Random hate for VGM composers is one of the most internet things i've ever witnessed. This is the first time i've ever heard of anyone hatin' on Sakuraba, so I assume it's just some weird attempt to shift the meta of some sub-sect of trolling, but I always cringe a bit when a new Ys or Trails game comes around and the Singa haters burrow out of the soil and resurface.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's mostly because sakuraba's work on tales across the past couple decades has been kinda boring

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only soundtrack my games have nowadays is whatever show Ive got going in the background.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I'm having a fantastic time with Trails of Cold Steel but boy was that fight against C in the mines in Chapter 6 an rear end-kicking. Took me 3 or 5 tries and made me so glad when I saw there was a retry option after losing.

So glad to finally sink my teeth into one of these after bouncing off of Trails in the Sky a bunch of times

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Barudak posted:

The only soundtrack my games have nowadays is whatever show Ive got going in the background.

dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Based on a glance at Wikipedia until the 5 year gap between Beseria and Arise there was a Tales of game every 1-2 years since 2000, and all but two of those (Innocence and Legendia) have Sakuraba. I can't blame him for tapping out and phoning in Boss Theme/Random Encounter Theme/Sad Moment Theme/etc.