Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Grim is my least-played ARPG in my library by a significant margin :thunk:
But I did reinstall after that announcement. What's a cool build to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Deakul posted:

How is build optimization poor game design lol

I don't know if it applies to your case, but it's been a thing since Sid Meier was quoted saying players will optimize the fun out of a game if given the chance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

tensai posted:

I've played through the game twice. I consider SC2 the best game ever and I think you hit the nail on the head for Origins. It's the exact same as the original, but somehow doesn't feel as good. I got a ship mod that autocombats and skip that section of the game. The resource gathering isn't fun, but is a "play while working or not really paying attention" activity.

Basically, if youve played this far, you've seen everything the game will throw at you. I still liked it, but can't explain why.

Stardock writing is just not good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Volte posted:

I beat GD several times and had fun with multiple skills and at no point did I feel obligated or even aware that you could beat the entire game by spamming a single skill.

If an arpg doesn't have a basic fireball mage I'm not gonna play it. My favourite gimmick run was as far as I could get through Veteran then Elite with just the level 20 Greater Fireball mod and as many fire buffs/constellations as necessary to keep it viable.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

sebmojo posted:

Stardock writing is just not good.

It's not surprising they're outsourcing things to AI these days: https://www.galciv4.com/article/518406/galciv-iv-supernova-dev-journal-13---aliengpt

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I like pet builds in grim dawn, they're some of the strongest builds and also good pet builds in modern arpgs are rare, like d4 doesnt even have a good necromancer pet build that can do endgame, it's dumb

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

explosivo posted:

It's real good!

Does it have any interesting gimmicks or a proper gameplay loop? There's been hundreds of these in the wake of Banished, and they are all disappointing, barebones, repetitive. Even Banished barely gets a passing grade from me, I need more motivation. My golden standard has always been Pharaoh and company. Being from a more experienced company maybe they hit the mark?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grim Dawn allows silly one skill gimmick builds as well as more interactive ones.

I really enjoyed playing a melee necromancer/soldier who could also cast aoe life drain and summoned fat zombies that exploded. It was like a homing corpse explosion. He also had a life draining teleport and a relic ability to shoot out a life drain blast. It was pretty neat.

I also made a lady who only cast magic missiles, each of which exploded into more magic missiles. She equipped a bunch of gear that has a chance to fart out even more magic missiles when she hits something with a magic missile :v:

Anyways Last Epoch looks neat, I hope it gets out of EA soon

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

1.0 is scheduled for 21st of Feb

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hwurmp posted:

real pros kill everything with half-presses

that is why the minigun is the most pro weapon

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

a7m2 posted:

Accidentally clicked join so I had to quickly download and beat Bad Rats to avoid looking like an idiot.

Of course now I look like an idiot in a different way
You got all the achievements. Bad Rats Prince.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mystes posted:

I'm not visually impaired and not only do I find it impossible to see where you can actually walk in dungeons without opening the map (probably worse than in Diablo 2/3?) I actually had to lower the graphics settings to have any loving clue what was going on on the screen

Same here. I wanted to like the game but that really put me off.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

a7m2 posted:

Accidentally clicked join so I had to quickly download and beat Bad Rats to avoid looking like an idiot.

Of course now I look like an idiot in a different way

I'm nostalgic for the days when a weird and crappy game being on Steam was enough of a novelty to create a meme.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I was fun how every new release was carefully assessed and at least one person in the thread bought and tried it to give a review.

e. https://steamdb.info/stats/releases/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anyways Last Epoch looks neat, I hope it gets out of EA soon

They posted a roadmap pretty recently, I want to say they're targeting March-ish for the 1.0 launch

edit; February-ish:

but I'm wary of roadmaps that are multiple months out for a studio that does not have an established record of releasing content, so I expect delays personally.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Owl Inspector posted:

I got a lot of value out of grim dawn but it definitely got pretty dull on the second playthrough difficulty as the game basically expected you to stack one damage type as high as you possibly could and invest everything you could in whichever skill you wanted to use as your primary, other than investments in survivability. the gameplay's pretty brainless so when number starts going up slower and slower on that second difficulty (levelups eventually give fewer skill points, there are fewer constellations to get, and you'll find improvements to your gear less frequently) I was only able to get characters through the first playthrough before losing interest. So its dual class system looks like it gives you tons of options, but you actually just choose your second class based on whichever one will improve your one big skill the most. Adding a dash and cutting down on loot spew sound like really good changes.

Yes, this was the sort of thing I was talking about.

I guess also to be clear, my actual experience was starting a character, quickly growing frustrated with parts of the UI and the murky maps, then picking skills that ended up feeling like poo poo to use. Then I looked up how I was "supposed to" play my class combo and it turned out the #1 build was spamming one skill and stacking that damage type. So the combo of unoptimized choices feeling terrible and optimized ones looking dreadfully dull.

But also I've notoriously failed to "get" ARPGs outside of liking D3 with caveats. Vampire Survivor style games are much more my speed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Got to level 13 on a Druid in GD and am pretty bored. It's just like everything's a Basic Attack Replacement and I have a Summon who crushes things. Weee.
Putting points into a Class Mastery is hella dumb. Just give me skills I actually want to use.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The biggest problem with the TQ/GD model of ARPG is that your power builds up very slowly. For the first 30 levels or so all you're really doing is boosting up the passive stat increases for your chosen skill trees with a 1-pointer here and there to unlock the next bonus instead of actively doing anything. It's fun when everything finally starts to come together and all the interlocking synergies of your build start to emerge but the power diffusal is excruciatingly slow early on.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Got to level 13 on a Druid in GD and am pretty bored. It's just like everything's a Basic Attack Replacement and I have a Summon who crushes things. Weee.
Putting points into a Class Mastery is hella dumb. Just give me skills I actually want to use.

Early levels are kinda balls for that combo but in the third act there's a relatively common drop that converts all damage for Callidor's Tempest to lightning. Combine that with Wind Devil and Storm Totem and you can run around constantly pulsing lightning, firing electro tornadoes and dropping tesla coils.
E: also put a point in the modifier that turns Callidor’s into an explosion to totally avoid auto attacks. You can always put some spare points into savagery if you still want to left click sometimes.

Which makes this a fair criticism:

exquisite tea posted:

The biggest problem with the TQ/GD model of ARPG is that your power builds up very slowly. For the first 30 levels or so all you're really doing is boosting up the passive stat increases for your chosen skill trees with a 1-pointer here and there to unlock the next bonus instead of actively doing anything. It's fun when everything finally starts to come together and all the interlocking synergies of your build start to emerge but the power diffusal is excruciatingly slow early on.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 13, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Echoing much of the sentiment for Grim Dawn here: I like it, but for all the attempts I've tried to play it previously, I've never gotten that far before getting bored due to a combination of the dark muddy world and skills that seem to trend towards a lot of passives or basic attack replacements that you go all-in on. Still, with this new patch, maybe I'll give it yet another go, try out a new class or something! Maybe I should turn down the difficulty from Veteran so I can just use whatever dumb build I want. Or I should just play the new hotness Last Epoch or embrace Survivors-likes as the new distilled ARPG.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

FutureCop posted:

Echoing much of the sentiment for Grim Dawn here: I like it, but for all the attempts I've tried to play it previously, I've never gotten that far before getting bored due to a combination of the dark muddy world and skills that seem to trend towards a lot of passives or basic attack replacements that you go all-in on. Still, with this new patch, maybe I'll give it yet another go, try out a new class or something! Maybe I should turn down the difficulty from Veteran so I can just use whatever dumb build I want. Or I should just play the new hotness Last Epoch or embrace Survivors-likes as the new distilled ARPG.

Yeah, pretty much this. In fact, I think I made this exact post on it months ago, but hope springs eternal. Maybe we need some kind of "getting into Grim Dawn, but for real this time" support group.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jossar posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. In fact, I think I made this exact post on it months ago, but hope springs eternal. Maybe we need some kind of "getting into Grim Dawn, but for real this time" support group.

Maybe but there are thousands of other games out there to play. Its ok to bounce off some even if people think they are really good.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Can anyone help me understand the Yakuza series now? I liked the series itself but I loved Like A Dragon. Now two new Like a Dragons came out and apparently they're brawlers like Yakuza?

Are there no more of the turn based games planned anymore and they just grabbed the Like a Dragon title or something?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC mainline titles going forward are supposed to be turn-based JRPGs, while side games are going to be whatever the team wants, but probably mostly brawlers. LAD 8 is still going to be a JRPG when it comes out AFAIK.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Barreft posted:

Can anyone help me understand the Yakuza series now? I liked the series itself but I loved Like A Dragon. Now two new Like a Dragons came out and apparently they're brawlers like Yakuza?

Are there no more of the turn based games planned anymore and they just grabbed the Like a Dragon title or something?

Next one, January
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2072450/Like_a_Dragon_Infinite_Wealth/

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Barreft posted:

Basically: the series was always Ryu ga Gotoku (Way of the Dragon/Like a Dragon) in Japanese, but when the series was localized for the PS2 the name was changed to Yakuza. They've been gradually trying to change the name of the series back, but it's confusing if you aren't following the release order of the games.

RGG 7 = Yakuza: Like a Dragon
RGG Gaiden = Like a Dragon: Gaiden (New game, sort of midquel that takes place during the beginning of 7)
RGG Ishin = Like a Dragon: Ishin (A rerelease of a spinoff that was previously JPN only on the PS4. Basically Yakuza 0/Yakuza 5 but with Samurai.)

The upcoming main game, RGG 8, is Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth and will be turn based like RGG 7/LAD was.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 13, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Attack on Princess posted:

I don't know if it applies to your case, but it's been a thing since Sid Meier was quoted saying players will optimize the fun out of a game if given the chance.

I’m playing a non-optimal build in D4 right now. Mr. Meier must be spinning in his future grave

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Going through my library, I saw another couple of games about to release into EA or hit 1.0 in the next few days:

Open World RPG Jianghu/Wuxia game Hero's Adventure:Road to Passion releases into 1.0 on November 16th. The big difference between this and other relatively recent games in the genre like Wandering Sword or (to a lesser extent) Tale of Wuxia and its remake is that it's claiming to commit more to the freedom to define your story in any one particular playthrough. 1.0 adds a bunch more stuff including better defined survival elements and less wuxiagame jank (locking off stuff behind random events, having to roll 50 billion times to get a particular set of starting stats/traits). English patch remains serviceable, if occasionally rough.

Color block puzzle Pygmalion will be releasing into Early Access on November 24th. I reviewed it back during the June NextFest and it seemed pretty fun for its sort of thing. Claims at least 480 puzzles so far.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

If you didn't notice, What the Golf? just got a pretty substantial update on PC. The Thanksgiving course is finally accessible again, and it looks like a new mini campaign is out shortly.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think I'm done with SCO then. Any fun indie SC2/Starflight/Escape Velocity style games I've missed that released in the last say decade? (I've played all the classics) Talking real time overhead inertia flight space exploration/combat games not just Asteroids style like Nova Drift.

I've played Starsector, Endless Sky, SC: O, Star Traders, Starcom Nexus, Transcendence, Heat Signature, Ring Runner, SPAZ, Captain Starshot, Long Journey Home.

Star Valor is on my radar waiting for the next sale.

Miss anything?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

I think I'm done with SCO then. Any fun indie SC2/Starflight/Escape Velocity style games I've missed that released in the last say decade? (I've played all the classics) Talking real time overhead inertia flight space exploration/combat games not just Asteroids style like Nova Drift.

I've played Starsector, Endless Sky, SC: O, Star Traders, Starcom Nexus, Transcendence, Heat Signature, Ring Runner, SPAZ, Captain Starshot, Long Journey Home.

Miss anything?

3030 Deathwar Redux, maybe

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Miss anything?
Cosmoteer?

There's a new Starcom but it's still very EA.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I just got MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries on Steam through Fanatical with birthday coupon for $4.45. I know folks say to player-patch/mod it to fix Allies’ AI to not be pants-on-head, but do I use NexusMods or is all done through Steam’s workshop thingee (which I’ve never used before)? Any certain mods to look for, or spoiler-free tips to someone who has been a BT fan for 40 years, but last ‘Mech jockeying was MW3?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I just beat Symphony of War and liked it overall. I did lose patience for its lackluster writing by the end. When the epilogue for its cast popped up in the finale, I realized that I simply did not care about a single one. The core gameplay of recruiting and upgrading units and forming them into different squads and taking them into battle was pretty fun, though. If you've played Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Tactics Ogre, you should probably play on the higher difficulties to keep things challenging.

The game recently released its Legends DLC which is a pack of 8 missions, additional units, and artifacts. It contains backstory for some of the characters and world events, but again the writing is the weakest part of the game and struggles with even just making its characters one-note, much less actually interesting or believable. The missions themselves are kind of interesting and mix up the formula with different map challenges. The units and artifacts introduced by the DLC range from mediocre to sidegrades to outright OP. I wouldn't say any of it was actually essential, however. The game has a New Game+ mode with different difficulty settings, so if you feel compelled to play again after beating the base vanilla game, it might be worth it for you.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Miss anything?

Drox Operative and its sequel

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

moot the hopple posted:

I just beat Symphony of War and liked it overall. I did lose patience for its lackluster writing by the end. When the epilogue for its cast popped up in the finale, I realized that I simply did not care about a single one. The core gameplay of recruiting and upgrading units and forming them into different squads and taking them into battle was pretty fun, though. If you've played Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Tactics Ogre, you should probably play on the higher difficulties to keep things challenging.

The game recently released its Legends DLC which is a pack of 8 missions, additional units, and artifacts. It contains backstory for some of the characters and world events, but again the writing is the weakest part of the game and struggles with even just making its characters one-note, much less actually interesting or believable. The missions themselves are kind of interesting and mix up the formula with different map challenges. The units and artifacts introduced by the DLC range from mediocre to sidegrades to outright OP. I wouldn't say any of it was actually essential, however. The game has a New Game+ mode with different difficulty settings, so if you feel compelled to play again after beating the base vanilla game, it might be worth it for you.

it's good bones, hopefully their writer has improved by the sequel I assume will come

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

3030 Deathwar Redux, maybe

I owned this and have 15 minutes playtime. I have a feeling it had a tutorial I got bored with, but I'll give it another shot.

The Lone Badger posted:

Cosmoteer?

There's a new Starcom but it's still very EA.

How EA is Cosmoteer? Haven't felt like dealing with EA issues lately. I hope in the Starcom sequel they add an option to drift around instead of having to hold down thrust. The drifting Asteroids style controls is one of the genre staples which made it feel off to not have.

Cheap Trick posted:

Drox Operative and its sequel

Played the original but forgot about the sequel. Thanks, onto the list! I also didn't notice there was a SPAZ sequel but it looks quite different.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

I owned this and have 15 minutes playtime. I have a feeling it had a tutorial I got bored with, but I'll give it another shot.

it's not amazing but it does have a really good soundtrack

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Played the original but forgot about the sequel. Thanks, onto the list! I also didn't notice there was a SPAZ sequel but it looks quite different.

Not a big fan of SPAZ2 myself, seems much 'less' somehow than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FuzzySlippers posted:

Miss anything?
One of my all-time favorites:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/Space_Rangers_HD_A_War_Apart/

Also Planet's Edge, get the GOG version:
https://www.gog.com/en/game/planets_edge_the_point_of_no_return