Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I am firmly against cutting holes in car roofs, and doubly against cutting them off all together, but it sounds like a lot of the problems you all describe are solved by a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah that's what I've been arguing for.

The Roof: A Car's Hat

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I've lived in Florida all my life and the only almost-convertible I ever drove was a second-gen Amigo, and it only had a half-soft top. I still only ever put it down during the "cold" months, though. It's too drat hot here.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Yeah that's what I've been arguing for.

The Roof: A Car's Hat

Ok but you can take hats off and they’re usually soft.

As someone who drove a one way rental mustang convertible from NJ to key west, once, and lives in a high altitude sunny place, my professional opinion is that you sound like a weenie

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Q_res posted:

The only thing I found appealing about the Gladiator was being able to get a high spec trim with a manual transmission. Should I assume that's not enough to redeem it.

Had the manual in a Rubicon. Still hated it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

I am firmly against cutting holes in car roofs, and doubly against cutting them off all together, but it sounds like a lot of the problems you all describe are solved by a hat.

You'd have to be some kind of pervert to take the roof off of a vehicle, right?

:v:

Funny enough I have never actually dropped the top on my TJ except for when I swapped out the original soft top for a replacement. Doors off and rear windows removed, though? :sickos:

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Yeah. I totally want to buy a car that I have to always wear a hat in and also long sleeves and everything inside is either lava hot from the sun or wet from the rain. Good idea.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Steve French posted:

As someone who drove a one way rental mustang convertible from NJ to key west, once, and lives in a high altitude sunny place, my professional opinion is that you sound like a weenie

:confused:

King of False Promises posted:

I've lived in Florida all my life and the only almost-convertible I ever drove was a second-gen Amigo, and it only had a half-soft top. I still only ever put it down during the "cold" months, though. It's too drat hot here.

Wonderllama posted:

Lmao convertible in Florida is a horrid idea.

poo poo I had a moonroof i hated because it baked my head.

fknlo posted:

As someone that owns a convertible and always has the top down when I'm driving it, I can assure you that anything convertible related would just suck absolute poo poo for most of the year in Florida.

Me and the weenies have been defeated :negative:

Like hey sure come on down to Florida where the UV index is high enough to give you sunburn standing next to a white wall while under an awning and put on a hat and see how much cooler you are in July. I originally said that a convertible here, in Florida, where I live 100% of the time, isn't any better than a convertible in any other part of the USA, it isn't more livable here. It's just you can come down here in February and smugly tell the boys back in Wisconsin how you have the sharpest little sports car convertible (a red Sebring). Snowbirds are their own thing and if you're one of them then yeah a convertible is great, because you have it for exactly as long as it is good for here, then you go home.

I've owned 5 convertibles so far, and the best ones are like this:

Like people have been saying, roof up, sides off is the superior way to convertible in Florida if you're going to do it. The heat is extreme, the sun is extreme, the combo of both of them is just too much, no matter how many long sleeve shirts and hats you wear. The heat here soaks everything, radiates off everything. It's a complete, wet, humid heat.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I have a convertible for the first time in my life, and let me tell you here in California it is awesome. I'm probably going to sell it soon because I would like to get out of BMW ownership before something really expensive breaks, but it's been a great experience.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Steve French posted:

I will give you the advice the random juggler gave my redheaded sister when she wore a tube top to a renaissance faire: enjoy your melanoma miss

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I drove a Suzuki Samurai as a daily for about five years and it had no AC either :v:

Also owned four Miatas, and multiple other convertibles like Celicas and Mustangs

Obviously you don't drive with the top down in the middle of summer during the day with the sun beating down on your head, duh

Convertibles are awesome imo, and if you think they're dumb then don't buy one lol

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

I will give you the advice the random juggler gave my redheaded sister when she wore a tube top to a renaissance faire: enjoy your melanoma miss

Since it probably wasn’t sufficiently clear: I was mostly joking. I hate humidity and would personally want my AC cocoon if I regularly drove around in Florida.

But also: I really do live in a sunny and high altitude place that gets a good bit more UV energy than Florida in the summer, and that’s before accounting for reflection off snow, and yet I spend a lot of time outdoors. I wear appropriate clothing, sunscreen, etc, because it turns out being inside a car with a metal roof isn’t the only way to be outside a building in such places without giving yourself skin cancer.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd have to be some kind of pervert to take the roof off of a vehicle, right?

There's part of me that wants to argue that doesn't count, but instead I'm going to shut up and be owned the way one can only be owned when they forget the exact thing they're arguing against is sitting in their garage.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Convertibles are awesome

Fact checked and confirmed true

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Even the summers in Colorado were too much to go with the top down during daylight hours. No humidity but you still just loving bake. And I’m someone that didn’t feel like it was actually hot until it was pushing 100 out there. I wouldn’t use the a/c in any of my other cars until it was 95+ but you wouldn’t catch me in the s2000 in the same conditions.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
not surprisingly, the miata was designed in the only place (before global warming) that was suitable for convertibles, southern california

and I did have one in socal and norcal, it was awesome except the couple really hot summer months

now in Washington, I can't imagine getting one ever again

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's plenty of cars out there absolutely clowning on this effort.

https://twitter.com/ferio_252/status/1723139057314873543?t=Vf4ZTkjbqP4dQYiwxsGuCg&s=19

I think we need to discuss the face Elon has little clue as to what the truck was supposed to be which is why everything is pointing to it being loving garbage. It was supposed to be AWD off roader, supposed to pull a billion tons, supposed to also be a boat for a brief period of time(?!)... As with everything else that has ever been designed, if you try to make a thing do more it inevitably sucks poo poo at most of it. But they never really settled on any of these ideas so it's not even attempting to do any of them now, it's just a bigger, fatter Tesla that looks like complete poo poo.

lol that's Stephan Papadakis in the rav4

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Other than the emergency stopping part you almost don't need a truck to tow a boat in Florida. Especially if you're going out to the keys. If you've got electric brakes you could probably get away with it. Where I used to do a lot of boating in Texas this one guy dry sailed his 24' sailboat and trailer (3800lbs all in, maybe 7000 gvw) launched it in the boat yard with a first or second Gen Prius. Lots of torque available at boat ramp speeds.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or maybe just don't live in Florida:shrug:

e: fixed phone posting

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 13, 2023

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mobby_6kl posted:

Or maybe just font live in Florida:shrug:

:negative:

If you’re in Florida though, be on/in/under the water.

Basically do whatever you have to do to not actually be on Florida.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I have that part covered, spend lots of time on the water and I'll probably get skin cancer from that before I get it from driving a convertible around lol

I honestly love the tropical weather, the heat and humidity doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact it's very good for me cuz I have arthritis so I'd be miserable in a dry and cold climate, I hate it for the few weeks of the year we get dry and cold weather here.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Or maybe just don't live in Florida:shrug:

e: fixed phone posting

It’s probably not going to be around that much longer anyway

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

MrYenko posted:

:negative:

Basically do whatever you have to do to not actually be on Florida.

well good news in the coming years, then

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Finding out convertibles were actually hotter than normal cars, and more uncomfortable in the summer heat was a surprise to me; I'd always just assumed that they'd feel more comfortable than normal. Learning that earlier this year was one reason I moved away from buying a convertible and instead buying a coupe; I spent years riding motorcycles as my only transportation and that feeling of being stuck at a redlight and soaking my clothes through with sweat is something I'm permanently over.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's a reason why convertibles are best sellers in the UK vs Europe. It's because our weather is only too hot for them for 2 weeks a year and only too cold for like 4 months. Outside of that it's top down weather any time it's dry.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's a reason why convertibles are best sellers in the UK vs Europe. It's because our weather is only too hot for them for 2 weeks a year and only too cold for like 4 months. Outside of that it's top down weather any time it's dry.
And how many days is that, five?

It does get too hot for a few weeks in the summer but if I had working A/C, this wouldn't really be a problem. As it is, I do get pretty sweaty but at least it's a pretty unique experience here.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

And how many days is that, five?

We had a poo poo summer this year in terms of heat and blazing sun but it was dry more often than not where I am so I had the top down an awful lot of the time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://electrek.co/2023/11/14/rivian-software-update-bricks-infotainment-system-fix-not-obvious/

Rivian bricked a bunch of vehicles infotainment system with a bad update and now people have to adjust their climate control with a phone app and they have no stereo/nav

Welcome to the future!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No one could've foreseen this

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45805477/2025-toyota-camry-revealed/

The Camry is going hybrid-only, and I'd make a bet that it's going to fall way down the sales charts. Toyota lost a ton of minivan market share when the Sienna went all hybrid, they only managed to sell 20 thousand of them last year because they couldn't build them.

What's going to become the default replacement for the Camry? It's gotta be the Accord, right? The Altima is dying and people still don't take the Koreans as a real competitor.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Been hybrid only in other markets for a while now. Apart from any production restraints, being a hybrid isn't going to hurt it, being not a crossover or SUV will do more to hurt its chances than anything else.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Has Toyota said how they're actually going to supply these?

A hybrid RAV4 is a year+ waitlist.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

smooth jazz posted:

Has Toyota said how they're actually going to supply these?

A hybrid RAV4 is a year+ waitlist.

pretty sure the waitlist isnt that bad anymore

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Toyota supply issues seem to have been mostly resolved - in this part of the world at least you can get most models fine now.

They've gotten expensive though, Rav4 starts at close to $50k NZD which is just nuts

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

My parents in Australia mentioned they were thinking about a hybrid and I remembered seeing videos/reviews saying that the new generation prius is actually really good so I looked into it. Toyota Australia and New Zealand aren't even bringing them in, saying that the prius is 'discontinued'. You can get grey-market imports of it in NZ (with ~15km on the clock and sold by Toyota dealers lol) but the PHEV's are $75k NZD ($45k USD).

Seems crazy to me that they would just ditch entire markets for a product at exactly the same time that it has apparently massively improved. I bet the dealers are pissed, especially if they're obviously going to the effort of bringing new ones over from Japan to sell in showrooms despite it not appearing on the official websites at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The previous shape being ugly combined with hybrid versions of all the normal Toyota models becoming available killed the Prius in Australia/NZ.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

dissss posted:

The previous shape being ugly combined with hybrid versions of all the normal Toyota models becoming available killed the Prius in Australia/NZ.

Yeah I get that, but the new version by all accounts looks much better, has way more power and is good to drive making it the worst time to decide to axe it that they could have chosen. I don't believe any of their other hybrid offerings have the new powertrain yet.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Two key things against the Prius in our (NZ) market are 1) the usual not an SUV/crossover/doublecab ute 2) the Prius name is now almost exclusively linked to cheap cabs/Ubers with 600,000km on the clock, making all kinds of weird noises while smelling vaguely of vomit.

Edit: I hadn't seen dealers bringing in their own ex-Japan stock, that's neat, the two Auckland Toyota dealers I see with stock are even offering 5 year warranties. Yeah, the fully loaded PHEV/AWD models are pricey, but I see lesser models under $50k. I think it's worth remembering tho that 1) the new model is now slightly more upmarket than before, and those prices include GST and such, while US MSRP doesn't include any applicible sales taxes, so we're not quite as ripped off as it may look.

One of those dealers even has a new Crown Crossover I see.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 15, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45805477/2025-toyota-camry-revealed/

The Camry is going hybrid-only, and I'd make a bet that it's going to fall way down the sales charts. Toyota lost a ton of minivan market share when the Sienna went all hybrid, they only managed to sell 20 thousand of them last year because they couldn't build them.

What's going to become the default replacement for the Camry? It's gotta be the Accord, right? The Altima is dying and people still don't take the Koreans as a real competitor.

The new accord straight up doesn’t sell. That segment is dying, fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love sedans and that makes me sad. I am going to be forced into CUVs when I rent