Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Those comics really are so loving good. Solid, standalone reads, great art and writing, just the gold standard of modern superhero comics. You're right, everyone with even a passing interest in the funny papers needs to give them a try.

I feel the show adapted them well though. All the changes made sense to turn young kind aimless loser(ish) comic Hawkeye into the MCU's Hawkdad. The car chase scene going from Hawkeye with some random bad babe he's been occasionally hooking up with, to Hawkdad exasperatedly training Kate Bishop on the fly is superb. Kate Bishop in general gets more personality in the show, rather than just being a slightly younger female clone of Hawkeye in the comics. Hailee Steinfeld being an absolute treasure.

The show certainly has its own scruffy moments, but the show is a drat good fun, and extracts some great moments from the comics and puts them on screen adapted in ways that make sense. The comics issues are more standalone, the running threads being quite light so it's more just a series of individual adventures than a structured series. As such, picking out some of the good bits for the show was the only way to go.

Fair play if you prefer the comics though, because those are some really loving good comics.

Feels like I posted about my complaints alot when the show was running and it's been awhile since I've seen it since I never rewatched it but I missed Hawkeye's connection to New York and his apt bldg, didn't like the focus on Kate who is supposed to be 22 but acts like she's 14 along with so much time spent on her frankly goofy parents, and the considerably more childish tone of the show versus the comic, down to the villains who just kept on showing up to beat up.

The comics were some groovy, mature, really inventive stuff. Maybe time for a reread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nameless Pete posted:

Brad should have been cut and his story arc should have been given to Hunter B-15 so she'd have something go do besides stand around all season. It was a bit disappointing to watch Wunmi Mosaku go underutilized here while she's being so, so badass over on Scavengers Reign. Made watching them together feel uneven.

Scavengers Reign is loving phenomenal and everyone should go watch it right now.

It's a slow burn that just rolls into something as amazing as it is disturbing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I kept on pausing the scene when Loki takes the seat because it was like the panels of the most gorgeously painted comic. Might be the prettiest thing that's ever come from the MCU. Great series, great ending.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don’t wanna know how Thor would react to Sylvie because Love might come along, and I’d rather just not ever see that nonsense again.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, Owen Wilson carried this show. He's 100% the heart of it. That's high praise when he's acting against Hiddleston's Loki.

I would have pie with Mobious.

One thing they didn't show was WHAT caused them to become invariants.
Like how did each gently caress up the time line.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

happyhippy posted:

One thing they didn't show was WHAT caused them to become invariants.
Like how did each gently caress up the time line.

Mobius gave too good of a deal to a Kang variant, triggering a chain of events that lead to a multiversal Jetski Navy

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Shageletic posted:

I kept on pausing the scene when Loki takes the seat because it was like the panels of the most gorgeously painted comic. Might be the prettiest thing that's ever come from the MCU. Great series, great ending.

It's kind of funny because loki culminated in a CGI laser show but this time it was actually great

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eiba posted:

Oooh, I think I see what you're not getting:

Loki and everyone he loves are variants. The loom being destroyed doesn't destroy everything just everything outside the sacred timeline. We do not see anything survive because we have no points of reference to the sacred timeline anymore. Loki can't just "go back" to the sacred timeline- he's a variant! The loom's destruction will always destroy him. All those scenes of the universe ending over and over presumably had an unseen sacred timeline surviving at the heart of it. We do not see this on screen because it is irrelevant to literally all our characters.

In the end Loki solves this by freezing time before the Loom can erase everything, and then kind of manually lets time flow again in each and every strand. That's what I believe he's doing when he's grabbing the dark strands and making them glow green. The sacred timeline might still be in there, but it got frozen with the rest by Loki, so it's just a part of Yggdrasil like everything else now. At least that's my interpretation of what he did- it's deliberately under explained so you can let the godliness of the act flow over you, but it appears to make sense this way.

Oh I get the fix, I know what the end means.

I understand what you're saying about him being a variant and that he'd be destroyed I just feel like they should have said it I guess. There's a big difference for me between "this is the end of everything" and "we've left it to go back as it was"

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shageletic posted:

Feels like I posted about my complaints alot when the show was running and it's been awhile since I've seen it since I never rewatched it but I missed Hawkeye's connection to New York and his apt bldg, didn't like the focus on Kate who is supposed to be 22 but acts like she's 14 along with so much time spent on her frankly goofy parents, and the considerably more childish tone of the show versus the comic, down to the villains who just kept on showing up to beat up.

The comics were some groovy, mature, really inventive stuff. Maybe time for a reread.

See, I personally feel that all 22 year olds should be shown acting like they are 14 because... have you met 22 year olds? Let the junior heroes be kids, with the slow pace they are reappearing in the bloated MCU schedule they have a long time of being mature heroes ahead of them.

The comics (5 star read, not slighting them even a little) was just a little weird for me because Kate Bishop came across as mature and responsible and not someone who feels like a junior trainee inheritor of the title. While Hawkeye himself felt quite young and playboyish (in a slacker kind of way). Not that that isn't a perfectly valid take, but for a character who has been around for 60 years, I kind of need him to have aged up a little beyond that for me to buy into it.

That's more an issue I have with comics in general, where everyone is somehow always 30 yet they also have a 40 year career in crimefighting and a 25 year old protege who has been growing up idolising them. It's also why I adored the first Spider-Verse film because a shlubby 40 year old Peter B. Parker was MY Spider-Man, finally allowed to grow up, gently caress up, but still be a good dude.

I maintain it was good comics, a good show, and a good adaptation of the comics into a "people actually age here" MCU version of the same. I totally get wanting that comic version of Hawkeye, but the MCU already moved him on enough that he could never be that Hawkeye. I wish they could have started more with that Hawkeye in the first place, but who knew we'd end up here 15 years ago? On the plus side, we got a Ronin Hawkeye that didn't require the actual fridging of his family, with the Snap being a nice have cake and eat cake solution to that.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
I’m disappointed in all this spaghetti talk. The whole show is about a loom and everything comes apart like cloth unweaving itself.

Fake edit: I now want to see the Kang variant that creates a Temporal Colander

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Watching this show I couldn't help think of this everytime we saw it on screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9s1QiqFYaE

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cage Kicker posted:

I’m disappointed in all this spaghetti talk. The whole show is about a loom and everything comes apart like cloth unweaving itself.

Fake edit: I now want to see the Kang variant that creates a Temporal Colander

I liked that it all looked distinctly more thread-like in the climatic and ending scenes. It also looked more expensive, which I expect is the practical reason it didn't look that good all season, but I will accept a narrative reason of all the previous time strands depicted having been overprocessed by Kang/the Loom's interference. There is a whole different texture and heft of an organic unprocessed timeline :hmmyes:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
You haven't been able to get good artisanal hand-crafted timeline since that drat loom

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

maybeadracula posted:

You haven't been able to get good artisanal hand-crafted timeline since that drat loom

lol

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Sooo... before the events of the series, the TVA would actively hunt down and prune variant people and timelines. And, if they happened to miss a timeline, the loom would automatically prune it, under the guise of "weaving it into raw time". This kinda implies that the actions of the TVA hunters didn't really matter, they were just there for show, like Chief O'Brien or something?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

More shows like Loki S1 & 2 please Marvel Studios because you knocked that one out of the park.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Gynovore posted:

Sooo... before the events of the series, the TVA would actively hunt down and prune variant people and timelines. And, if they happened to miss a timeline, the loom would automatically prune it, under the guise of "weaving it into raw time". This kinda implies that the actions of the TVA hunters didn't really matter, they were just there for show, like Chief O'Brien or something?

I don't think the loom could prune variant people off their timeline, just merge whole timelines

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Hey, pruning isn't a good metaphor for fabric and looms and threads... but.....

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

AndyElusive posted:

More shows like Loki S1 & 2 please Marvel Studios because you knocked that one out of the park.

Just do a good Daredevil season 4.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

Loki was definitely the absolute best of what MCU TV has brought to us so far, but I would also say that there is room in this world (or rather in the MCU, I guess) for absolutely wonderful things like Madisynn with two N's, one Y, but not where you think. :allears: Maybe not within the same show, but in general!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gynovore posted:

I got the impression that if the TVA failed to handle something the Loom would act as a failsafe and fix the issue at the cost of destroying itself and the TVA in the process. So the Loom can't act as an ongoing solution for all the problems, just a one-off emergency response.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gynovore posted:

The Loom wouldn't prune individual timelines. It just exploded, and took Everything with it, after reaching a critical amount of too many timelines existing at once. It's HWR's "you either continue the operation I've setup, or I hit the hard reset" incentive.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
When Kang was in charge, they pruned a lot of Lokis.

Now that Loki is in charge, they'll prune a lot of Kangs.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sylvie better take some time to visit Loki every couple years after what he did for her

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/WH_Woolhat/status/1723888685744091543

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I got the impression that if the TVA failed to handle something the Loom would act as a failsafe and fix the issue at the cost of destroying itself and the TVA in the process. So the Loom can't act as an ongoing solution for all the problems, just a one-off emergency response.

I don't think it's really a one time thing. HWR said that in the case the TVA got destroyed, it would just get rebuilt including the Loom. The cyclical nature of the TVA and the Loom maintains the Sacred Timeline indefinitely. Remember at the end of season 1 when Sylvie killed HWR and kicked Loki through a time door? He ended up at the TVA where no one knew who he was and the giant statues had changed to have Kang's face? This was Loki being sent to a past iteration of the TVA which subsequently got destroyed and rebuilt with minor changes like the statues. There were also ruins of past TVAs in the Void where Renslayer meets Alioth.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
"past" TVAs feels like.... Hmmm

Prior, maybe

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rappaport posted:

Loki was definitely the absolute best of what MCU TV has brought to us so far, but I would also say that there is room in this world (or rather in the MCU, I guess) for absolutely wonderful things like Madisynn with two N's, one Y, but not where you think. :allears: Maybe not within the same show, but in general!

Red posted:

Just do a good Daredevil season 4.

:hmmyes: :agreed: :agreed:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I want to give a shoutout to the biggest stars of Loki - the sets and props.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Cross-posting this from the BSS thread, but I'm wondering if this was intentional:

Top is a shot from the Loki season 2 finale, bottom is the album cover of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

And some of the lyrics from the titular song:

"Did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange
A walk-on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
What have we found?
The same old fears
Wish you were here"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

While this is an enormous reach based on two people shaking hands, I am especially impressed that you didn't highlight "hot ashes for trees" when that's literally what Loki did trade. Also he traded the cold comfort of the TVA and the Sacred Timeline for change, and if you want to stretch a little he's no longer full of hot air and bluster. In fact, the lines you highlighted might be the least relevant in the whole verse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

I don't think the loom could prune variant people off their timeline, just merge whole timelines

I think the show has purposely obscured exactly what the pruning process was before the HWR was killed. When Loki was first picked up we see charges set off and we don't see what it exactly transports (the area immediately around Loki, the desert people he was talking about, or the entire universe of that timeline). We do see those indicidual Saber pruning weapons being used to send off individuals yet the bombs set by the splinter group definitely destroyed entire timeliness.

At least for me it's hard to see what the ordinary MO was for pruning before everything changed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jedit posted:

While this is an enormous reach based on two people shaking hands

It was the fire/spaghettification that made me do the dicaprio_pointing.jpg

That and the start of the episode made me think "huh, when you play the Loki intro backwards it sounds a bit like the start of Time" so I was already in a Floyd Hole.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I want to give a shoutout to the biggest stars of Loki - the sets and props.

Wow, way to do the score dirty like that

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

While this is an enormous reach based on two people shaking hands, I am especially impressed that you didn't highlight "hot ashes for trees" when that's literally what Loki did trade. Also he traded the cold comfort of the TVA and the Sacred Timeline for change, and if you want to stretch a little he's no longer full of hot air and bluster. In fact, the lines you highlighted might be the least relevant in the whole verse.

I guess he's just not another brick in the wall

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

BoldFace posted:

I don't think it's really a one time thing. HWR said that in the case the TVA got destroyed, it would just get rebuilt including the Loom. The cyclical nature of the TVA and the Loom maintains the Sacred Timeline indefinitely. Remember at the end of season 1 when Sylvie killed HWR and kicked Loki through a time door? He ended up at the TVA where no one knew who he was and the giant statues had changed to have Kang's face? This was Loki being sent to a past iteration of the TVA which subsequently got destroyed and rebuilt with minor changes like the statues. There were also ruins of past TVAs in the Void where Renslayer meets Alioth.

Ye this is sort of how I'm still seeing it, that the Loom just resets it back to how it was and they make a fresh TVA?
I dunno, I'm not sure the writers thought it through that far

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I guess he's just not another brick in the wall

No, thats Andor.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
The loom only cares about maintaining the Sacred Timeline, the home of HWR. In the case of insufficient pruning, it would overload and explode, wiping out all timelines and variants and the TVA while leaving the Sacred Timeline intact, allowing HWR to create it all again.

Or that's my interpretation at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taear posted:

Ye this is sort of how I'm still seeing it, that the Loom just resets it back to how it was and they make a fresh TVA?

This is my assumption. HWR explicitly calls it reincarnation in S1. He just wasn't expecting anyone to take up the burden HWR had taken upon himself.

I think that works, that even the most ostensibly benign version of Kang is still a narrow-minded, narcissistic control freak who thinks he's the main character of reality.