Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

thief specs all have pretty solid distinct identities but it takes a bit of practice to really get them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
man, what is anet doing

i love playing gw2, i really got into it again after quite a long time (i did some stuff just before and after end of dragons but fell off p. quick after i got the main stuff done), even started on legendary accessories and got vision done, but after i do the weekly soto poo poo i'm spending all of my time in old content because in soto even the trashiest of trash mobs have 3 gorillion hit points, making every single thing you try to do a massive loving slog

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hey do people think it would be viable to play gw2 visa steamdeck? I've fallen entirely off gw2 because I've stopped pc gaming for a variety of reasons, but it's just occurred to me that steamdecks exist and could let me do the console thing but still play pc games (yes I know I'm extremely late to the party).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Hey do people think it would be viable to play gw2 visa steamdeck? I've fallen entirely off gw2 because I've stopped pc gaming for a variety of reasons, but it's just occurred to me that steamdecks exist and could let me do the console thing but still play pc games (yes I know I'm extremely late to the party).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/wqgrbm/a_comprehensive_steam_deck_configuration_for/

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

tarbrush posted:

Just hoping the price of coins drops for a bit

gem to coin? I'm on the edge of converting a bunch of gold to gem(maybe not a bunch, I only have like 400 I'm willing to shift). I figure all the exchanges are negatively favoured so I try not to much. I got a free 24 slot bag and burnt most of my gems getting another slot. I might not need gems though, because I could just cash up SotO soon and skip lw4 to skyscale(which I might not need anyways)

So, I slept 2 hours last night and got up and finished HoT this morning, and gently caress that ending is a slog. fuckoff after fuckoff to get to a thrice annoying bossfight. by the end I seriously was ready to just shut off my game and not bother. I hated the end fight more for it's huge time waste rather than the actual effort. then it fucks me around with some whole bunch of stuff I don't even remember from 3 years ago when I stopped in the story.

But, I got that done and am now pretty tired. I missed how crazy this whole gameworld is. HoT areas are so slow if your mount drops. but it's still a lot of cool stuff to really have fun moving around.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

nesamdoom posted:

gem to coin?

No, Mystic Coins. I generally work on at least one legendary all the time, plus the wizardbux legendary box to sell, so am in constant need of coins to make clover

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Jedah posted:

Did you already defeat the new-and-improved buffed CO CM again? lol

Hm? Did they change anything? There's nothing in the patch notes.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Today's new weapon blog: Warrior staff

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/staff-warriors-bring-frontline-support-to-the-heat-of-the-battle/

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

11 years in the making

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
There does feel a similarity to Justin Herbert, where people scouted the programme not the player

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Mr. Neutron posted:

Hm? Did they change anything? There's nothing in the patch notes.

It was a small buff to Dagda's damage, here's the link:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/139851-update-to-dagda-attack-damage-in-cosmic-observatory-cm/

We beat it yesterday, but it was a very good pug - we had players from Sneb's guild/Skein Gang. I noticed is her Minister Li-style number attack seemed to do more damage. Like you said, it's still the easiest of the CM strikes. I still like the strike quite a bit, it's a good way to teach a new person about mechanics without insanely punishing consequences (instant group death on AH CM, for example).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I found it somewhat comparable to AH CM. Easier, I think, but not much. My pug came close three times and then had to split, but that was with noone really knowing it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hell yes.
Staff Rev and Thief didn't really click with me but I like staff fighting in most games. Being frontline support sounds excellent.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

tarbrush posted:

There does feel a similarity to Justin Herbert, where people scouted the programme not the player

Idk, to me warrior staff feels more similar to Joey Bosa than Justin Herbert

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Hakarne posted:

Idk, to me warrior staff feels more similar to Joey Bosa than Justin Herbert

This will teach me to watch TV and post at the same time

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

tarbrush posted:

No, Mystic Coins. I generally work on at least one legendary all the time, plus the wizardbux legendary box to sell, so am in constant need of coins to make clover

Oh cool, I haven't started on legendaries really. I opened one path am getting back into stuff now.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I've only just started looking at what it takes to make the upcoming legendary armor. It actually seems rather... fair?

The 'scavenger hunt' portion looks like it's just unlocking armor sets. One of which you get by doing the story. Two you mostly grind out with SotO currencies, with a modest dump of might/magic trophies. The fourth set isn't out yet, but hopefully that won't be a huge jump in effort. At the very least, so far, none of that stupid 'get a gadget to clutter your inventory, get some other inventory clutter to power it, use it in N locations' tedium.

Then you have your standard tradeable materials dump, account bound materials dump, and the last one is do map completion a bunch of times.

Sure, you need a poo poo-ton of Kryptis essence, but you'll accumulate that by doing content that should be pretty populated for a long time coming.

It also feels like whatever you're doing in SotO, you're making progress toward something. Even just flying around the map colleting those orbs, you're building currency to buy the map-specific tokens.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

With the convergences out now that's my take too. I was in a rift grinding group the other day and the commander said if you do the three weekly convergences you should have all the rift poo poo you need in like 18 weeks, which doesn't seem too bad compared to how long raids take.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the convergence rewards do seem pretty good

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the winning move once again is to park a heal herald in the middle of the convergence then go get a snack

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
But I like pressing buttons.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

press buttons to microwave a snack

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

Sure, you need a poo poo-ton of Kryptis essence, but you'll accumulate that by doing content that should be pretty populated for a long time coming.

i started playing soto in late september and outside a couple extras for story or similar, i've only done enough to finish the weeklies (and then this week the 3x convergence weekly)
i'm already about 25% there with essences for the whole set, and knocking out all the weekly rifts is like 2-3h tops so it's not that bad at all if you don't just grind it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I thought I had everything I needed for a second leggy (Quip) but I'm short on Obsidian.

My day is ruined.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I thought I had everything I needed for a second leggy (Quip) but I'm short on Obsidian.

My day is ruined.

You can get obsidian for karma at the Cathedral of Glorious Victory in Orr.

It's expensive but karma isn't hard to come by.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Go do Silverwastes and dig up bandit chests for an hour or two and you’ll get plenty

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

why are legendaries good?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Meowywitch posted:

you can use them on all characters/gearsets at the same time and freely change the stats and upgrades like runes/sigils/infusions on them

also a few have nice skins

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

Best damage/stats in the game on par with ascended gear, but it can be used on all your characters at the same time and in any stat combination you want.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Meowywitch posted:

Use them on all characters for free, change their stats and appearance for free forever.

They're massive QOL boons but hardly required.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Start with armor and jewelry as the largest QoL upgrade you can get and will be used on every character more than a single weapon type if you want to start on getting legendaries, which you should because they are a game changer and will make it infinitely easier to swap builds with lots of freed up inventory space.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I should get back to working on my leggy trinkets. Those mursaat tokens though, ugh...

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

They're a lot better than they used to be when only one character at a time could use it and their stats were locked (and mostly lovely, so you'd have to old school transmute them any time you wanted to change something). They eventually let you stat-select but i never bothered with them until they became account-wide unlocks.

Legendaries are good now.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Start with armor and jewelry as the largest QoL upgrade you can get and will be used on every character more than a single weapon type if you want to start on getting legendaries, which you should because they are a game changer and will make it infinitely easier to swap builds with lots of freed up inventory space.

Start with jewelry, (as every toon will use the same slots)

(but do armour and weapons as you like)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Guest2553 posted:

They're a lot better than they used to be when only one character at a time could use it and their stats were locked (and mostly lovely, so you'd have to old school transmute them any time you wanted to change something). They eventually let you stat-select but i never bothered with them until they became account-wide unlocks.

Legendaries are good now.

Yeah, never bothered with them because they were just some ugly skins, but before legendaries I was the sort of person to only play one character because of the price and inventory clutter of equipping a spec and getting ascended gear and infusions for fractals,
I still only play one character but I have options now!

The main disadvantage of legendary weapons compared to ascended is you need to drop-down select the stats instead of doing a quick swap in inventory, won't bother most people but it can matter in WvW.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 13, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you raid you get showered with ascended weapons, too. I never bothered with any, only to sell. (pro tip: if you make Eternity and sell it, you'll still get to keep Twilight and Sunrise skins unlocked)

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
the main advantage to legendaries is being able to smash every item that ever drops for that slot rather than hoarding everything in your bank.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The main disadvantage of legendary weapons compared to ascended is you need to drop-down select the stats instead of doing a quick swap in inventory, won't bother most people but it can matter in WvW.

this is what gearsets are for :v:

i have 5 on my main already and it's great, so many options

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'm a few hours in (again, but more determined this time) and I'm overwhelmed with all the buttons again.
Being nice and mobile with wasd is cool, but trying to also manage a row of skills is baking my noodle man.

Does it get easier once you actually know what you're doing?
Maybe I should try and use esdf and move the skills around my digits more.
Like, do builds end up with fewer active skills/buttons to manage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the best thing i did regarding being mobile with wasd is moving it to esdf 15 years ago because it gives your pinky a bunch of extra buttons you can hit while not reducing the number for your other fingers, which helps tons with games that have many buttons to push

also, hardstuck has "low intensity" build variants that generally work fine on 3-5 buttons and then you can add more as you get comfortable