Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There’s a good chance than three of them are. No telling which three since any of the Falcons, Saints or Bucs could win it and I doubt whoever makes the playoffs gets fired.

"I took our 7-10 team to the playoffs because the rest of the division sucked too" doesn't seem like it saves someone's job, especially when the prize is getting blown out by the Cowboys in the wild card round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sono posted:

"I took our 7-10 team to the playoffs because the rest of the division sucked too" doesn't seem like it saves someone's job, especially when the prize is getting blown out by the Cowboys in the wild card round.

Ah, but when the 7-10 team bounces the Cowboys from the playoffs that will save their job, and it will happen because it’s very funny.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Ah, but when the 7-10 team bounces the Cowboys from the playoffs that will save their job, and it will happen because it’s very funny.

It would've been so funny if Brady's last gasp was to cut McCarthy's head off last year.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's really weird the Chargers have had now 3 consecutive head coaches who have all had the exact same problem of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. At some point you've got to look deeper into the organization.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The problem with firing a head coach is you then have to hire a head coach. And there are apparently only about half a dozen people on earth capable of doing that job at any given time.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's really weird the Chargers have had now 3 consecutive head coaches who have all had the exact same problem of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. At some point you've got to look deeper into the organization.

Almost like we all know it's a Spanos thing but there's nothing anyone can do about it

:(

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

How does Spanos affect the defensive play of the team on the field?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Diva Cupcake posted:

How does Spanos affect the defensive play of the team on the field?

John Spanos is the president of football operations. He hires the GM and head coaches.

As long as he's in charge, we will keep hiring these first time non-proven coordinators and we will continue to have these kinds of problems

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

a neat cape posted:

I am completely done with both my NFL team's head coach and college team's head coach. It's a weird feeling.

What if they both got fired then got hired by the other one's team?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

What if they both got fired then got hired by the other one's team?

Brady Hoke, NFL Head Coach

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Spanoses are cheap pieces of poo poo when it comes to the coaching staff and have been for a long time now. The last time they paid top dollar for a coach was Marty; every other HC they've had since were some of the least well compensated HCs in the league during their run. All of them but Norv were first timers as well. It's 100% an ownership thing and always will be until they sell the team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Robert Saleh is a terrible coach who will never win jack poo poo with the Jets but there is no accountability for anyone in the organization and there is zero chance he'll be fired.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If the Raiders win out Pierce would have as many wins with the team as McDaniels did, lol

I mean they won’t cause they can’t play New Jersey teams every week but still. Josh did not set the bar high

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

a neat cape posted:

I am completely done with both my NFL team's head coach and college team's head coach. It's a weird feeling.

I feel bad for you & Chargers fans like the lady who went viral a few weeks ago.

Especially in a game like that where both teams were really fun! Tons of going for it on 4th & Goal, creative plays to get WRs open or pull blockers for runs, it was a game where both teams would have earned a W.

Arizona and Chicago would probably be open to trading their win for the Chargers loss and a day with Boltman.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Fire Harbaugh so he can switch places with his brother. All will be right with the world.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Fire Harbaugh so he can switch places with his brother. All will be right with the world.

Jim harbaugh is gonna get a twenty million a year to come to Carolina, start off 7-0, then get fired for banning tepper from the post game locker room

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Docjowles posted:

If the Raiders win out Pierce would have as many wins with the team as McDaniels did, lol

I mean they won’t cause they can’t play New Jersey teams every week but still. Josh did not set the bar high

They really hated McDaniels lmao every raiders win this year is a nail in his coaching coffin.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Gorson posted:

They really hated McDaniels lmao every raiders win this year is a nail in his coaching coffin.
Is there any other coach who can challenge McDaniels as the most hated coach in NFL history? I'm having a hard time coming up with someone so universally despised by multiple fanbases.

Usually a coach is "hated" because he sucks or whatever but it's not true hatred, it's just frustration and at some point, as a human being you're like "well he's probably honestly trying his best but he's just not good at this so please go away" but with Josh I'd be pretty okay with watching him being tossed to a literal pack of wolves in the wilderness and letting nature take it's course.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

kalensc posted:

I feel bad for you & Chargers fans like the lady who went viral a few weeks ago.

You know that lady ended up being a Vikings "fan" right?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Black Sunshine posted:

Is there any other coach who can challenge McDaniels as the most hated coach in NFL history? I'm having a hard time coming up with someone so universally despised by multiple fanbases.

Usually a coach is "hated" because he sucks or whatever but it's not true hatred, it's just frustration and at some point, as a human being you're like "well he's probably honestly trying his best but he's just not good at this so please go away" but with Josh I'd be pretty okay with watching him being tossed to a literal pack of wolves in the wilderness and letting nature take it's course.

Urban Meyer, Matt Patricia

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Phobeste posted:

Greg Schiano

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Urban kicked his own player.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

MrLogan posted:

You know that lady ended up being a Vikings "fan" right?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...s-getting-paid/ ?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm going to say it and you can't stop me

John Harb*gets yanked offstage by giant hook*

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Black Sunshine posted:

I think there's something to be said about McD going scorched earth on Denver, and then getting to do it again on Oakland (and Indy in spirit). None of these other guys named have gotten a second chance (yet). Fool me once, etc.

Does Belichek count as most-hated if that hate is coming from outside of his team's fanbase?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I think there's something to be said about McD going scorched earth on Denver, and then getting to do it again on Oakland (and Indy in spirit). None of these other guys named have gotten a second chance (yet). Fool me once, etc.

Does Belichek count as most-hated if that hate is coming from outside of his team's fanbase?

Bill's definitely growing in hate internally/from the Pats fanbase too. There's nowhere near this much smoke if fans are happy about what's going on

Can only speak for the friends/fans I know, seems very much to be a case where if they were merely having a bad year it probably wouldn't be this bad. But that it's historic/in the running for first-pick-overall bad, with the schedule not lightening up and them really only being favored against the Jets going forward, he very much burned through his goodwill with a non-zero amount of diehards. It only gets worse if Mac keeps playing too; you can't have a Zach situation there

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There are former players who will say good things about Belichick. I doubt you could find one of those for McDaniels.

Nov 6, 2002

Tom Coughlin was pretty well hated. He was forced to lighten up by the Giants players who were practically in revolt. Then when he got back to Jacksonville he tripled down.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Black Sunshine posted:

Lou Holtz quit the Jets midseason because he tried to do his college dictator routine (and wanted to install a veer offense, which even in the 70s was dinosaur poo poo) and basically got laughed out of the locker room

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Benne posted:

Lou Holtz quit the Jets midseason because he tried to do his college dictator routine (and wanted to install a veer offense, which even in the 70s was dinosaur poo poo) and basically got laughed out of the locker room

Lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Tom Coughlin was pretty well hated. He was forced to lighten up by the Giants players who were practically in revolt. Then when he got back to Jacksonville he tripled down.

The Jacksonville move was doomed from the start because he didn't want to retire and the Giants didn't want the flak of it actually being known that he was fired by them, so they lied. Whatever temper he had before then, it was aggravated

Nov 6, 2002

Phobeste posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after watching how Belichick has completely hosed up the offensive side of the ball since McDaniels left, I have a very tiny, slight, modicum of sympathy for Patricia being press-ganged into the offensive coordinator position. He's a piece of poo poo, but he was asked to so something he was totally unqualified for because Belichick mistakenly believed anyone could coach offense and/or Kraft is dirt cheap.

Chris James 2 posted:

The Jacksonville move was doomed from the start because he didn't want to retire and the Giants didn't want the flak of it actually being known that he was fired by them, so they lied. Whatever temper he had before then, it was aggravated

Remember those reports that after "retiring/firing" from the Giants he kept showing up at their facilities to work out until someone had to tell him to gently caress off. And when he interviewed for the Eagles opening he reportedly spent the whole time in the interview complaining about the Maras and the Giants lol.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Time has probably faded this a bit, but Bobby Petrino for how he left the Falcons.

To a lesser extent, Nick Saban and the Dolphins.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Remember those reports that after "retiring/firing" from the Giants he kept showing up at their facilities to work out until someone had to tell him to gently caress off.
Alpha move, I respect it

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'd feel awful for their respective fanbases but it would be extremely funny if McDaniels was somehow able to coach all four AFCW teams and get run out of town in all four cases. I know there's been a handful of HCs who have coached two teams in the same division, but how about 3+?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Docjowles posted:

There are former players who will say good things about Belichick. I doubt you could find one of those for McDaniels.

Urbz and Schiano

Maybe NFL Nick Saban

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

C-Euro posted:

I'd feel awful for their respective fanbases but it would be extremely funny if McDaniels was somehow able to coach all four AFCW teams and get run out of town in all four cases. I know there's been a handful of HCs who have coached two teams in the same division, but how about 3+?

Chargers job should be opening up and I'm sure they'd prefer a head coach with an offensive background this time.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

mcmagic posted:

I don't think O'Connell is a good coach

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Remember those reports that after "retiring/firing" from the Giants he kept showing up at their facilities to work out until someone had to tell him to gently caress off. And when he interviewed for the Eagles opening he reportedly spent the whole time in the interview complaining about the Maras and the Giants lol.

Considering everything that's happened since he was arguably right to

His retirement press conference was incredible, Eli is clearly holding back tears and Coughlin just snubs Mara's attempt at a handshake and walks right by him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Please do not even whisper the idea of Adam Gase getting another coaching job in the AFCE