Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

okay well i read it as "1.85:1 is cinematic and all but it means i've got letterboxing on my 16:9 screen and that's dumb when this tv show is never going to be shown in a movie theater"

16:9 basically is 1.85:1 (to be precise it's 1.77:1, but you won't see the difference). They'd have to be complaining about things being shot in 2.35:1 to worry about voids, and you don't see that on TV - even prestige shows like Game of Thrones are presented in 1.85:1. Hence my possible confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Apparently there are a bunch of shows shot in (or at least available in) ultrawide formats like 21:9 including some of the Star wars shows and master of none for some reason, but the apps sometimes will only send you the version appropriate to your TV or display.

But yeah I don't understand how you take "everything needs to be shot in 16:9" as the user has a 4:3 TV and is mad that things are about in 16:9.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Apparently there are a bunch of shows shot in (or at least available in) ultrawide formats like 21:9 including some of the Star wars shows and master of none for some reason, but the apps sometimes will only send you the version appropriate to your TV or display.

But yeah I don't understand how you take "everything needs to be shot in 16:9" as the user has a 4:3 TV and is mad that things are about in 16:9.

Lol this argument is hilarious

For comedy sake, I shall not clarify my position

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Armacham posted:

Lol this argument is hilarious

For comedy sake, I shall not clarify my position

Good - now we can all claim that we're right.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Invincible season 2: so we have alternate universe Mark who decides to keep Atom Eve as a pet, but he snapped her neck so she's paralyzed but still alive. Does she need to use her hands to use her powers?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
What a great reminder of the breadth and subtlety of Robert Kirkman's oeuvre.

Squidster has a new favorite as of 22:50 on Nov 7, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Invincible season 2: so we have alternate universe Mark who decides to keep Atom Eve as a pet, but he snapped her neck so she's paralyzed but still alive. Does she need to use her hands to use her powers?

I'm guessing there was a reason for the prequel episode to explain her origins and that will be a part of how this is resolved. Something about a failsafe was mentioned.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Update on the 16:9 thing

The first episode of The Fall of the House of Usher streams at the actual filmed resolution.

The second episode streams with letterboxing included for no loving reason. Disney+ shows do the same poo poo and it's ridiculous. Just stream at the actual video resolution!

The actual content on screen for Usher is ~2.4:1, but it streams at ~1.83:1

/e: the third Usher episode also came with letterboxing but the fourth is back to just the actual content without letterboxing. What the gently caress is going on??

stringless has a new favorite as of 03:13 on Nov 8, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The Guest:

1. Really lovely CGI muzzle flashes. Okay, the movie's almost 10 years old but dear lord.

2. Bad guy's getting away. Cop (well not really but close enough) fires his MP5 empty at the getaway car, fails to stop it. Then he yells "gently caress!" and throws his tightly-controlled very-expensive machine gun down on the ground and gets in a car to give chase. No sense of wright or wrong.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, it looked like he called it perfectly when the subject took flight...

:haw:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Phanatic posted:

The Guest:

1. Really lovely CGI muzzle flashes. Okay, the movie's almost 10 years old but dear lord.

2. Bad guy's getting away. Cop (well not really but close enough) fires his MP5 empty at the getaway car, fails to stop it. Then he yells "gently caress!" and throws his tightly-controlled very-expensive machine gun down on the ground and gets in a car to give chase. No sense of wright or wrong.

I mean, yeah, they're not good guys, they're the weird private government contractor that turned people into metahuman supersoldiers or something of course they have no morals.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Psychics always need to use their hands in visual media, otherwise you wouldn't know they were doing anything.

Nosebleeds excepted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Armacham posted:

I'm guessing there was a reason for the prequel episode to explain her origins and that will be a part of how this is resolved. Something about a failsafe was mentioned.

Eve's failsafe prevents her using her powers directly on anything that is still alive. Otherwise Alternate Eve could kill her Invincible and Omni-Man on the spot unless they took her by surprise - she's easily the most powerful superbeing in the canon, capable of reordering any physical object on the molecular level. But with the restriction she can't, because the Viltrumites are too strong for her to attack externally.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Jedit posted:

Eve's failsafe prevents her using her powers directly on anything that is still alive. Otherwise Alternate Eve could kill her Invincible and Omni-Man on the spot unless they took her by surprise - she's easily the most powerful superbeing in the canon, capable of reordering any physical object on the molecular level. But with the restriction she can't, because the Viltrumites are too strong for her to attack externally.

Yep, I understand that part, I was just wondering out loud if they might have her overcome it in some way. I haven't read the comic so I'm just speculating based on the show that I've seen.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Safe House (2012)

At 32:55, during a highly destructive car chase, in which many cars are destroys, many accidents caused, the bad guys have the sense of mind to put silencers on their guns so as to not draw attention.

I wanted to take a screenshot but I guess Netflix has put a stop to that :confused:

I can still do it to every other streaming thing but Netflix just gives me a big black screen. I guess to prevent, um, piracy-by-streaming?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Take a picture of your screen with your phone.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Make sure the photo is Vertical not horizontal.

Vertical are how camera photos are meant to be taken and anything else is wrong and makes you a bad person.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Imagine being a Pan and Scan Artist in the 80s and 90s. I wonder if there were pan and scan auteurs we never heard of.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

credburn posted:

Imagine being a Pan and Scan Artist in the 80s and 90s. I wonder if there were pan and scan auteurs we never heard of.

:lmao: I was going to pull up the "Heeere's Johnny!" scene from The Shining as an example but YouTube has it all in 16:9 format instead.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

:lmao: I was going to pull up the "Heeere's Johnny!" scene from The Shining as an example but YouTube has it all in 16:9 format instead.

Yeah, there's debate about Kubrick and aspect ratio's, but it does seem it's widely excepted that he shot for widescreen, but it did seem like he made sure, at least in his later films where tv was more a thing, that the shots in his films were pretty much all "safe" for 3:4, so you could just go to the film negative and not need to go to pan and scan for a tv cut.

With how much a perfectionist Kubrick was known as, that does make sense. But yeah, I believe there's still debate about this and I think it might of changed a bit film for film, like I think Barry Lyndon had a hard widescreen camera matt on it. But yeah tl:dr. anyway, think Youtube actually got it right!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jedit posted:

Why not simply turn the air around them and in their lungs to wood?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I watched the first episode of All the Light We Cannot See last night. Pretty good so far. Anyway, this bit annoyed me:. A blind character runs her hand across these switches to power down the equipment. She's very familiar with it, so she should know better. It would shock the gently caress out of her. :science:

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, there's debate about Kubrick and aspect ratio's, but it does seem it's widely excepted that he shot for widescreen, but it did seem like he made sure, at least in his later films where tv was more a thing, that the shots in his films were pretty much all "safe" for 3:4, so you could just go to the film negative and not need to go to pan and scan for a tv cut.

With how much a perfectionist Kubrick was known as, that does make sense. But yeah, I believe there's still debate about this and I think it might of changed a bit film for film, like I think Barry Lyndon had a hard widescreen camera matt on it. But yeah tl:dr. anyway, think Youtube actually got it right!

That's what I heard too. In the opening sequence of the car winding through the mountain roads, the shadow of the filming helicopter is visible. However it is near the lower edge and would be easily trimmed for the definitive cut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfNm1bD5Lws

Edit: Still kinda surprising Kubrick would let it slide. :lol:

deoju has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Nov 11, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wtf happened with master gardener?

both the card counter and first reformed were really really good, but this is a mess

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
my friend watched Invincible and went "meh this is dumb, it's just a ripoff of The Boys." meanwhile he keeps pushing me to watch Vox Machina (I did watch the first season and everything was so goddamn trope-y/"look how edgy we are with cursing!" and the story went all over the place) because "it gets so dark and so much better, you gotta give it some episodes!"

I can give a show 1-2 episodes but after that I am loving out.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

So the show that's a voice actor's prequel fan fiction for his monetized D&D campaign ISNT totally original?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen, nor played, five nights at Freddy's but the only song I knew from it was below the surface and I found out it's not in the movie. :saddowns:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cowslips Warren posted:

my friend watched Invincible and went "meh this is dumb, it's just a ripoff of The Boys." meanwhile he keeps pushing me to watch Vox Machina (I did watch the first season and everything was so goddamn trope-y/"look how edgy we are with cursing!" and the story went all over the place) because "it gets so dark and so much better, you gotta give it some episodes!"

I can give a show 1-2 episodes but after that I am loving out.

You're friend sounds media-illiterate. I can't imagine a single thing that those two shows have in common aside from "the superman expy is actually bad" and I would be hesitant to ever discuss any kind of media with them ever again.

Tell them that Vox Machina is just a rip-off of the D&D movie (either one).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

You're friend sounds media-illiterate. I can't imagine a single thing that those two shows have in common aside from "the superman expy is actually bad" and I would be hesitant to ever discuss any kind of media with them ever again.

Superman bad + the existence of superheroes has brutally violent consequences. Otherwise yeah, extremely different approaches to subject matter, senses of humor, and general vibes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

He loving loves Vox Machina because "the characters are so cool and the little male dwarf is a sex maniac!". Having him try to describe the characters without their names is funny. Like, describe Han Solo without his name: handsome, rogue, dances a bit on the bad side, not quite a hero, jerk with a heart, etc.

Now do the same thing with any vox machina characters.

I mean I should know better by now. His favorite movie is Lucky Number Slevin. And he hated Nope because 'the monster is stupid and everyone is dumb!"

Cabin In The Woods was dumb too because"it doesn't make sense why everything is controlled! And the matrix did it better!"

He's a good dude but for media, nope.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Is he the critic who said Cabin in the Woods is about people inside a video game

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Is he the critic who said Cabin in the Woods is about people inside a video game

the video game is society

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY

In the fnaf movie, was the fifth kid the cupcake?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 08:17 on Nov 13, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Lol

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
We watched Inside Man over the weekend, not a particularly easy to follow movie by any stretch but unless I missed something... What was the point of the heist? Did they seriously go through all of that just for a single safety deposit box that contains some mementos of the bank's owner selling out a friend to the Nazis? All they got away with at the end was a bag of diamonds and some jewellery of indeterminate worth, how much would that be split over everyone responsible?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Adrianics posted:

We watched Inside Man over the weekend, not a particularly easy to follow movie by any stretch but unless I missed something... What was the point of the heist? Did they seriously go through all of that just for a single safety deposit box that contains some mementos of the bank's owner selling out a friend to the Nazis? All they got away with at the end was a bag of diamonds and some jewellery of indeterminate worth, how much would that be split over everyone responsible?

Well, I would think that having evidence that a bank owner was a Nazi collaborator might provide some valuable leverage.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Adrianics posted:

Probably break even depending on how much they spent on the water guns but the stealing from a collaborator and exposing them is supposed to be the real goal. But I’m more concerned if I remember right they were hired by someone to recover a certain item and the one guy leading the heist just gives it to Denzel? And then he gifts it to his wife? Like a ring or stone that belonged to a holocaust victim they were supposed to recover and all.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah keep that cursed poo poo away from me please

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Jedit posted:

Well, I would think that having evidence that a bank owner was a Nazi collaborator might provide some valuable leverage.

A good point well made, still feels like a lot of effort lol

MariusLecter posted:

Probably break even depending on how much they spent on the water guns but the stealing from a collaborator and exposing them is supposed to be the real goal. But I’m more concerned if I remember right they were hired by someone to recover a certain item and the one guy leading the heist just gives it to Denzel? And then he gifts it to his wife? Like a ring or stone that belonged to a holocaust victim they were supposed to recover and all.

He gives a single diamond to Denzel after their conversation about Denzel not being able to afford a ring to propose to his partner. Yes, it is incredibly loving weird that he's happy to give a diamond paid in exchange for literally giving a man up to the Nazis to his wife

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm catching up on season 3 of For All Mankind now that the fourth is coming out, but goddamn the finale just feels insanely contrived to the point where it lost most of its impact.

It starts out with one of the astronauts on the Mars mission unexpectedly getting pregnant. That alone already feels kinda dumb, as you'd really think that two highly educated astronauts would know to avoid that, or that NASA would have insisted on a form of long-term contraception for a long-term mission. But okay, chalk it up to an accident. She learns about the pregnancy in the aftermath of a major catastrophe that leaves several astronauts dead and puts the survivors on the Mars surface in a very precarious situation, and with more than a year to go before they can return to Earth, she decides to carry that poo poo to term.

Then it turns out that the synthesis of the fuel required to get back into orbit takes longer than expected. That means she'd have to give birth on Mars, which would probably be fatal for the baby. So in order to cut weight and move the launch date up, the nine remaining astronauts volunteer to stay on Mars for another 18 months on already stretched rations until the next mission, so that the pregnant one can take off alone.

And even then, even then, it's an insane hail-Mary maneuver that involves bringing the orbiter just sort of close to the actual spacecraft and yeeting her across the remaining distance in just a space suit, while the pilot of the orbiter has to land basically on fumes.

It just felt like the writer's room was just constantly trying to one-up one another with additional complications to make it more dramatic, and in the end it just felt kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Embryonic development outside of a magnetosphere seems like it could be an issue too, unless she spends the entire time underground.