Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

Despite how awful she is, and how dreadful the people whose interests she represents, there's still a part of me that finds Liz Truss a tiny bit adorable. I guess I just can't fully resent someone who is genuinely that stupid, and who seems so unabashedly delighted to be at all these grown up political events.

she’s stupid and does the things politicians say but don’t actually mean, like trying to build HS2 up to bradford, completely unacceptable in whitehall but desperately needed outside london

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Despite how awful she is, and how dreadful the people whose interests she represents, there's still a part of me that finds Liz Truss a tiny bit adorable. I guess I just can't fully resent someone who is genuinely that stupid, and who seems so unabashedly delighted to be at all these grown up political events.

Said it before, the one thing of which I am truly grateful to Liz Truss for is being PM instead of dePfeffel when Brenda died.
And I'm also convinced Brenda held on as long as she could to see off dePfeffel.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Remember though! No making explicit comparison to that other recent historical group of ghetto-liquidators or you'll get visited by secret police and have your life destroyed :yaycloud: !

But yeah, this is painful. I've donated to MSF and ANERA and done a bit of walking around and chanting but it really just feels so loving insignificant against the tsunami of evil colonial atrocity

Srebrenica?

1 - The massacre of Bosniaks was claimed to be in response to the Serb civilian casualties by Bosniak forces (this claim was rejected by the courts).
2 - Supplies of food, fuel, and medicine were firstcut off, leading to many deaths amongst the civilian population.
3 - Thousands of civilians forced to flee their homes as military action began, leaving an entire region cleansed of an ethnic group.
4 - The encircled population was massacred, including children and the elderly. It was more often by the more old school method of shooting than by missile strikes but that probably doesn't matter to the individuals who were killed.
5 - It happened in full view of the world's media but nothing was done to try to stop it.
6 - It was carried out by (largely) Christian Serbs against (mainly) Bosnian Muslims, making accusations of antisemitic comparisons difficult.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So there is a thing in politics (it's in other aspects of the world, but let's stick to politics.)
When you are caught doing something wrong, you try to pass it off as a mistake. Because it's better to be thought of as dumb instead of evil.

Asked to produce WhatsApp messages at a Government inquiry? Instead of saying you deliberately deleted them, say you didn't know how to backup your phone.
And it normally works.
(Largely, this works because the group that is supposed to hold you to account over this won't. Like when this defence is raised, the natural extrapolation for this should be "if this person is that stupid, they should never be allowed hold any form of political office. They've shown that they are too stupid to do what is required of them.)

To continue that example, when Borris Johnson says "let's build a bridge over a minefield, everyone knows it's a terrible idea.
But really, it's just a way of funnelling public money to a mates engineering company that can be paid a bunch of money to conclude "building a bridge over a minefield is a bad idea."

With Truss, she absolutely would insist on building that bridge. And them blame the woke Engineering firms when it all collapses.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

i've not been having an easy time mental health wise, witnessing the liquidation of a ghettoised people in real time

despite the light-hearted tone we try and take in this thread, crispix please take care of yourself mate you're a good lad and we would be devastated to lose you and what you contribute here, both at your happiest when you're shitposting like the best of us but also when you're here to give on the ground updates of you part of Norn Iron

just take care of yourself mate and do what you need to do to keep posting with us

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oh i didn't mean to cause any alarm, i'm not suicidal or anything

the state of the world in general just feels very... much atm

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

It is utterly hosed. There's nothing we can do about it either. Except look out for those around us.

I'm setting up a mental health support group at work this month. I seem to have gathered a fairly large group of neurodivergent people who I am mentoring (yeah I know, me... How the gently caress) due to having succeeded at staying relatively sane for over 15 years in the games industry... So I'm going to try to formalise it somehow.

I'm not sure how it's going to help, but I'm going to try. Lots of good folks like you are struggling crispix. You're not alone and while it can't be fixed I figure we can at least have a bit of solidarity and like here, a good place to have a good moan.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crispix posted:

It's the same stuff happening now that's always happened, it's just now, instead of reading about it in a newspaper article, the horrors are beamed directly to a device that you carry around with you as they occur, in a relentless stream of visual misery and death. There's nothing wrong (and plenty right) about keeping informed and bearing witness but viewing distressing images until it affects your mental health doesn't help anyone. Switch off when you feel the need to!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The situation is bad in so many places, yet despite that I can still see the shining future. Equality and equity, unity and tolerance, compassion and generosity - and when you think those things sound naive or unattainable, then look around again, because they're everywhere. People are marching globally for a ceasefire, protesting for a just and enduring solution, donating to MSF and ANERA and so on. The evil are powerful, seemingly overwhelmingly so, but they have the weight of centuries that established their structures, decades were needed to ensconce their current power, and they are desperately working every day to maintain it because the truth is they rightly identify the ultimate fragility of those systems.

We are not foreordained to get something better, but we have the capacity to build it. All dragons can be slain. All wounds can be bound. All sins redeemed and all wrongs forgiven. I am not advocating a complacent expectation that things will improve, but rather hope that they can be improved, even though it may be the work of years, decades, centuries.

How could I believe anything else when I'm from Belfast?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am thankful for your optimism when I am very far from it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Suckella Firedman https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/nov/13/suella-braverman-sacked-home-secretary

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Booted before 9am lol

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

And now we get several hours to enjoy it before the Gove Supremacy begins!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've been listening to Maybeshewill who are (in my opinion) the UKMT-est band a lot recently and this couple of lines at the end of Sing the Word Hope in Four-Part Harmony feels appropriate to the above chat

"These are tough times but we seek solace in our friends and co-conspirators
We make small differences in each other's lives, and dream that we can make real progress"

Just ignore the bit where it was written about 15 years ago and things have just got steadily worse since then

e: Ah, Sue-Ellen, get in the sea

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Great picture on the Beeb to go with the sacking

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⢀⡤⢶⣶⣶⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣿⣧⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣀⣤⡄⠀
⢠⣾⡟⠋⠁⠀⠀⣸⠇⠈⣿⣿⡟⠉⠉⠉⠙⠻⣿⡀
⢺⣿⡀⠀⠀⢀⡴⠋⠀⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠇
⠈⠛⠿⠶⠚⠋⣀⣤⣤⣤⣿⣿⣇⣀⣀⣴⡆⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠠⡞⠋⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⡏⠉⠛⠻⣿⡀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠈⠁⠀⠀
⠀⠀⣠⣶⣶⣶⣶⡄⠀⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⢰⣿⠟⠉⠙⢿⡟⠀⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⢸⡟⠀⠀⠀⠘⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⠃⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠈⢿⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠙⠷⠶⠶⠶⠿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

Booted before 9am lol

And for the second time. I'd forgotten that she had the job under Truss.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
The witch is gone

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

I am thankful for your optimism when I am very far from it.

Fuckin told you good things can happen :getin:

Though she'll probably be back for a third go before long

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

The situation is bad in so many places, yet despite that I can still see the shining future. Equality and equity, unity and tolerance, compassion and generosity - and when you think those things sound naive or unattainable, then look around again, because they're everywhere.
Keep posting about that shining future and hopefully a few more will be fired or quit (also they're good posts).

e: lol efb

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 13, 2023

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Surely this time she will slink away in shame, never to seek high office again

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Keep posting about that shining future and hopefully a few more will be fired or quit (also they're good posts).

e: lol efb

A couple said they would quit if she got booted so we'll see....

Off to the dentist for the appointment I made over 3 months ago, this was the earliest I could get! Finally got on the list of the only NHS dentist in town.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It was clear her number was up as soon as he said he had full confidence in her. You can't fire someone without a U-turn.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Apparently Cleverly was first into Downing Street after she was sacked so... lol.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bobstar posted:

Surely this time she will slink away in shame, never to seek high office again

What does you heart tell you?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
lmao this sucks

https://twitter.com/bethrigby/status/1723988183367516442?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

David Cameron as home secretary wouldn't be as bad as the available options, at least he once hosed a dead pig in the gub.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

BBC saying Cleverly to Home Secretary and Cameron the new Foreign Sec

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely can't imagine cameron would want to come back, what the gently caress could possibly be in it for him? He's wisely stayed the gently caress out of things since the brexit vote, the last tory with a shred of sanity.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
David Cameron the notoriously lazy, peacing out the second the EU referendum was confirmed is surely the man to finally sort out Israel Palestine. A conflict in which both sides could be united in their dislike of swine against him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/1723991896941293719?t=iotyBuaOzc9haSK7C1H04A&s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

what the gently caress?

He's not an MP or peer how could he be a minister? Are we just making poo poo up now?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Condolences on the new disgraced former

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Tesseraction posted:

what the gently caress?

He's not an MP or peer how could he be a minister? Are we just making poo poo up now?

He'll be put into the Lords

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

what the gently caress?

Like everything else on Clown Island that's just a convention that can be easily broken, and we left Normal behind a long time ago

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Entire government based on vibes and "let's see if the papers will buy this poo poo".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

No sympathy, hers was a lifestyle choice.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

quote:

According to Sky News’ Beth Rigby, some Tories are unhappy about the possibility of David Cameron being given a cabinet job because that would imply that none of the 350 Conservative MPs in the Commons were good enough.

Hmm. Yep, you've nailed it there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

Hmm. Yep, you've nailed it there

Okay I've changed my mind this is good actually