Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaysBefore posted:

It also owns how the few routes that remain are slower than they used to be because the private rail companies barely pay for maintenance. 22 hours and $400 for an economy seat from Hali to Montréal? Hell yeah

cn has priority everywhere but a tiny stretch of rail around toronto that's owned by metrolinx, so you can expect an average of an hour delay on any trip between toronto and ottawa/montreal, because gently caress you, the freight runs on time.

also the tracks are in hilariously bad shape in a few spots, so i hope you like doing 40km/h in a loving train for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

infernal machines posted:

and since greyhound shut down your choices for travel to any of those small towns along hwy 7 to ottawa, or anywhere else in ontario not serviced by go are: lol, and gently caress you.

get owned every small town in the prairies.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
loving hotel california-rear end towns

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

and since greyhound shut down your choices for travel to any of those small towns along hwy 7 to ottawa, or anywhere else in ontario not serviced by go are: lol, and gently caress you.

That's just it.

If they expanded VIA to use the thousands of kilometres of existing rail in this country, it would actually be a public service. Sure, keep high speed for the Windsor to Quebec City corridor, if you want to be a dick, but huge swaths of the country were barely ever connected by road but do have (unused) rail links.

I would happily book a sleeper for slow trips. I'm not going to sit in airplane style seating, then take a mode of travel that costs more and takes longer than flying.

For gently caress's sake, until the 60's this is how a lot of people got around Canada, this is not arcane technology in a country that always relied on rail and water transportation more than roads. Let me book a steamer from Toronto to Kingston or the Port of Montreal. Let me do anything other than drive and destroy the environment.

I know people have America-brain but rail travel and taking boats when most of the Canadian population lives along the Great Lakes and St Lawrence (and maritimes) should not just be for retirees.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

There were rumours there was going to be a medal for the covid military operation, since it rated danger pay and all, and possibly a civil medal too, but then people forgot, you see.

Honestly for the medical people who had to go into the worst of the long term care homes in Durham region, they probably should have gotten something. It sounded like it was absolutely awful.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That's just it.

If they expanded VIA to use the thousands of kilometres of existing rail in this country, it would actually be a public service. Sure, keep high speed for the Windsor to Quebec City corridor, if you want to be a dick, but huge swaths of the country were barely ever connected by road but do have (unused) rail links.

I would happily book a sleeper for slow trips. I'm not going to sit in airplane style seating, then take a mode of travel that costs more and takes longer than flying.

For gently caress's sake, until the 60's this is how a lot of people got around Canada, this is not arcane technology in a country that always relied on rail and water transportation more than roads. Let me book a steamer from Toronto to Kingston or the Port of Montreal. Let me do anything other than drive and destroy the environment.

I know people have America-brain but rail travel and taking boats when most of the Canadian population lives along the Great Lakes and St Lawrence (and maritimes) should not just be for retirees.

We can't even build apartment buildings lol.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

this video is a pretty good summary of the state of commuter rail in ontario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWjtpzCIfA

yellowcar has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Nov 13, 2023

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Expanded social services?
In this country?
In this economy?
Localized entirely in transit?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Honestly, expanding GO so it's actually a usable train network, that runs in both directions all day and on weekends (ideally with nighttime service as well) would GO a long way. GO for short hops, VIA for overnight, an actual subway network and expanded streetcar in the city, that's not bad. Introduce streetcars to Hamilton, Burlington, Mississauga and so on, and Ontario is suddenly livable.

The fact that they wimped out of a medal for covid, in a country with a literal awards system, after calling people heroes for a whole year, is a honest to God betrayal. We have a monarch, we have a mint, we have all of this pomp and circumstance to put our money where our mouth is, and unlike in the US these things actually mean something, in terms of helping people get government or provincial jobs or whatever.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:46 on Nov 13, 2023

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

yellowcar posted:

I've been happy to use GO to get to and from Toronto as a non-commuter - I did it today in fact - but this is a very good video.

Edit: I did not park and ride, but I did take a GO bus to Bramalea and felt like a chump when I realized I could have parked for free

PhilippAchtel has issued a correction as of 04:01 on Nov 13, 2023

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Honestly, expanding GO so it's actually a usable train network, that runs in both directions all day and on weekends (ideally with nighttime service as well) would GO a long way. GO for short hops, VIA for overnight, an actual subway network and expanded streetcar in the city, that's not bad. Introduce streetcars to Hamilton, Burlington, Mississauga and so on, and Ontario is suddenly livable.

The fact that they wimped out of a medal for covid, in a country with a literal awards system, after calling people heroes for a whole year, is a honest to God betrayal. We have a monarch, we have a mint, we have all of this pomp and circumstance to put our money where our mouth is, and unlike in the US these things actually mean something, in terms of helping people get government or provincial jobs or whatever.

while the government does suck rear end and is comprise of people who want to loot everything rather than do anything nice, i think a big part of this is the median voter is also car brained as hell and won't support public transit or sprawl reduction

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

yellowcar posted:

every time i browse his channel hes demonstrating how Apartheidt or Blajkfaceberg or some other tiny dutch town with 10k people tops has better transit than cities ten times their size over here. depressing

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HACaRm2KP6Q&t=235s

i want. 2 cry

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There are people who don't hate Toronto? I thought it was the one thing all Canadians could agree on, from sea to shining sea.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm still mad they changed the GO green to that puke colour

I'm sure they'll eventually ditch the badass GO logo for some helvetica-rear end looking poo poo too

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

apatheticman posted:

Expanded social services?
In this country?
In this economy?
Localized entirely in transit?

Can I see it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

There are people who don't hate Toronto? I thought it was the one thing all Canadians could agree on, from sea to shining sea.

i like toronto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

who knows, in another 50 years, maybe we'll have go rail service to peterborough (rush hours only)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

“Toronto as a city carries out the idea of Canada as a country. It is a calculated crime against the aspirations of the soul and the affection of the heart.”

— Aleister Crowley

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Crowley was a piece of poo poo and msot likely a rapist though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat every thread seems to be talking about probable rapists' opinions about Toronto.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

Precambrian Video Games posted:

drat every thread seems to be talking about probable rapists' opinions about Toronto.

Is there a Drake thread thread too?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

mila kunis posted:

every time i browse his channel hes demonstrating how Apartheidt or Blajkfaceberg or some other tiny dutch town with 10k people tops has better transit than cities ten times their size over here. depressing

These loving town names lmao

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

From the River to the Sea
Toronto H A T E

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mila kunis posted:

was this close to looking up those town names before remembering there's usually more z's

Tighclops posted:

I'm still mad they changed the GO green to that puke colour

I'm sure they'll eventually ditch the badass GO logo for some helvetica-rear end looking poo poo too

I legit love how the bicycle sign has the go logo in it

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Isentropy posted:

je soutiens le Québec car en pensant d’un “nation québécoise” ils … “care about public opinion”

the car bridge to Quebec City getting cancelled is the only time I’ve heard of a idiot developer project getting shut down

The last byelection went bad for the CAQ so the tunnel project is back to being talked about because it's seen in the region as a big electoral promise they reneged on.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

PhilippAchtel posted:

Is that Groucho Marx?

it’s Philip J Fry

I went home for the first time since 2019 and was shocked how much everything cost. I don’t know how anyone can afford to eat out, especially with a family. Everything was double what I’d pay in Tokyo, and that’s before service charges.

My assumption is that Canadians are forced into carrying huge amounts of debt. Everyone had so much stuff they didn’t really need and I can’t see how most could afford it.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

That's just it.

it owns that NS is spending infinity money on ferries to Maine that are barely ever full while the whole rail infrastructure was rotted

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Rich tourists are way more of a priority than locals

I mean have you seen those people?

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Crowley was a piece of poo poo and msot likely a rapist though.

he certainly raped some men and also wrote propaganda for the nazis while working for british intelligence, surprised parliament hasn't lauded him yet

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

linoleum floors posted:

Rich tourists are way more of a priority than locals

I mean have you seen those people?

I realize that VIA makes more money on The Canadian by making it a premium consumer experience for boomers than if they had reliable and affordable train service between Toronto and Vancouver, but for gently caress's sake, you can have multiple trains. Imagine if Churchill was connected by rail because there's no Greyhound and not just so tourists can drink champaign in the observation car and look at polar bears.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I have wondered who actually rides VIA Rail as like...a method of transport.
For medium-long distances it is worse than a plane in every conceivable way. For short distances it's more expensive than a bus and possibly also slower with the unreliability of access to the rail. If you happen to own a car it's certainly no comparison there.

So that leaves more remote communities with no bus or plane access but that have a rail line. I suppose that's a thing?

Obviously a large portion of their business is the tourists slow-rolling to look at scenery and whatnot but someone somewhere is using rail as transport.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i do, as mentioned, for a ~170km trip between toronto and belleville, on. it costs a lot more than a go trip, but go only gets you as far as peterborough and that takes as long as the VIA trip to belleville, and you have to transfer to a bus in oshawa. the whole trip on via is about 30 min shorter than taking a car because the 401 tends to be a nightmare.

there are no flights out there, so it's bus or train.

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
That's correct. Problem being that VIA has recently put their prices up, so visiting say, Kingston, from Toronto is about a two and a half hour journey in practice and you're paying like a dollar a minute for that trip. Booked a return trip recently and it was $250 prior to taxes. I imagine a lot of people are going to book Christmas travel this year and realize that all the cheap fares are gone. Booking business class for a two hour trip is something like $250 one way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The current non-tourist passenger base for VIA is people who don't own cars, have extra disposable transportation money due to making a decent income but not having to make car/insurance/gas payments, regularly need to travel somewhere served by VIA but not by GO or another regional transportation network, and either dislike buses or need to travel somewhere that isn't well served by intercity bus services. This is not a huge demographic.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My folks moved to just near amprior Ontario which is about a 50min drive from Ottawa.

Last Christmas I checked what it'd cost to take the train to Ottawa from kitchener. It'd cost more and take longer then just driving directly. Shits wack.

corgiwizard
Oct 27, 2020

hadji murad posted:

it’s Philip J Fry

I went home for the first time since 2019 and was shocked how much everything cost. I don’t know how anyone can afford to eat out, especially with a family. Everything was double what I’d pay in Tokyo, and that’s before service charges.

My assumption is that Canadians are forced into carrying huge amounts of debt. Everyone had so much stuff they didn’t really need and I can’t see how most could afford it.

The debt trap is real. Turns out seeing thousands of ads all day every day for years makes you spend…

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

hadji murad posted:

it’s Philip J Fry

I don't know how much is Berta Brain vs general Canadian but even after having moved from Fort McMurray to Bonnyville I still see people with way too much dumb poo poo. At least here people seem to be able to afford it, and have accumulated over time vs back in Fort McMurray where you'd see people living in a lovely condo or trailer but they have like four new vehicles.

At least where I'm at I can go to farmers markets and shop at the co-op so I can feel better about where my food money goes :unsmith:

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

My one "gotta hand it to him" thing for Ford is that his gov is planning on bringing back the Northlander train service from Toronto to Cochrane. Tickets were outrageously subsidized before it was cancelled by the Libs, and I have little faith that it'll be affordable or have a functional schedule in this new iteration. But selfishly even the option to get up to Muskoka without spending 3 hours driving, or being able to schlep a canoe directly from Bay Street to the Abitibi, has me on board.

Not due til 2026, so plenty of time for it to get scuttled I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

hadji murad posted:

it’s Philip J Fry

lol when because even japanese themselves now aren't coping well with their own inflation at all