Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Paracelsus posted:

She already had the Emperor's attention, failing to save Lishu was not really an option. The Emperor speaking to a commoner servant directly to ask something of her is already a major lowering of himself, and even if he as decent of a guy as you could reasonably get given his position, that is not a situation where you fail to deliver.

And now that she's saved the lives of both of his concubines and his daughter, MaoMao can pretty much throw any idea of staying out of his attention into the rubbish bin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The way Maomao doesn't try to lean on the Emperor's authority with the other servants in this arc before Jinshi steps in has always struck me as odd. Like, bordering on malicious incompetence odd. She doesn't want to have the job, obviously, but surely she can't think the Emperor would just let it go.

e: Gonna echo everyone who said this ep was a step up for the direction.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 29, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She even acknowledges internally that if she fails this job she dies, so it's not like she's intentionally trying to fail. I assume she's already brought up the emperor's name and they still didn't listen, and she doesn't feel like she's in a position where she can go directly to an authority and ask for help.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think Mao Mao internalized the whole "I am just an insignificant serving girl, please don't notice me" spiel to the point where the option of using imperial/palace authority, even when she has both means and a reason to, is not something that is readily apparent to her. Heck, she is in a relatively high position as a lady-in-waiting of the Emperor's favorite concubine and still wears her ratty herbalist apparel and frequently hangs out with servant girls. Which makes her pretty noticeable, but I think noone will deny that Mao Mao has some pretty huge blind spots. :v:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

MaoMao has spent pretty much her entire life dodging toxic attention, so it's not a huge surprise that she's picked up some maladaptive habits along the way.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
while the emperor did cosign to it, i think giving her permission to namedrop his name can be another matter entirely.

i quite like the animation of the formal etiquette she has to change her manner at the table while poison tasting in front of the emperor

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Shivers down my spine at my favorite moment when she shuts those haughty bitches down. That glare... epic. Personally, I think letting her get bounced out of the living quarters like Jazzy Jeff in Fresh Prince of Belair served to make the eventual violent comeuppance all the more satisfying.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The way Maomao doesn't try to lean on the Emperor's authority with the other servants in this arc before Jinshi steps in has always struck me as odd. Like, bordering on malicious incompetence odd. She doesn't want to have the job, obviously, but surely she can't think the Emperor would just let it go.

e: Gonna echo everyone who said this ep was a step up for the direction.

GateOfD posted:

while the emperor did cosign to it, i think giving her permission to namedrop his name can be another matter entirely.

i quite like the animation of the formal etiquette she has to change her manner at the table while poison tasting in front of the emperor

She probably doesn't, strictly speaking, need his permission to namedrop the emperor but it's the whole silly thing with polite mannerisms and such. That's why she keeps trying different dishes to see if they may accept it first. She's the intruder and not a guest. Of course, the attendants are also at fault here but Maomao has no authority over them. Being seen as relying on someone else's authority, especially the emperor's, is the sort of thing that gets passed around as rumor and has the risk of exploding out of control. Someone with a better personality and habits would've asked for help from Jinshi already but Maomao is, well, Maomao.

Obviously it's a bit of a gamble of who gets blamed if Lihua dies but she's already kind of resigned to this potential outcome. And as the newcomer to the whole harem/Lihua's palace, she has the excuse of being afraid of overstepping her bounds. The attendants and Jinshi, do not have that excuse. In fact, fault would probably lie with Jinshi for not making sure the emperor's will (have the apothecary help Lihua) is carried out correctly. He's in charge of things and would know the sort of haughty air of Lihua's girls. It's his job to smooth over personality conflicts and such, especially since Maomao is already seen as one of Gyokuyou's people. Of course, if he's too heavy handed he may be seen as favouring Lihua though he has the excuse of the emperor's orders, and he goes as far as to maintain a friendly air by not admonishing Lihua's girls.

In short, poo poo's complicated and dumb.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well she is transported from one world (a brothel) to a different world (a fancier brothel) and succeeds due to her incredible and unusual knowledge (can read)

I had forgotten the other exciting technologies she brings with her.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Today's episode was excellent as always. For some damned reason, this song started playing in my head...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Cooking is basically just like mixing up drugs, but with food. You put the ingredients and the garnishes together to make something tasty

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Peak moment incoming

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This is some good anime. Drug Goblin indeed

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
This weeks episode was really pretty.
Love anime eyeliner

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

RIP freckles.

Dunno why they're apparently considered ugly.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

RIP freckles.

The same reason covering your self in white lead dust is considered beautiful

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

RIP freckles.

Pre-industrial beauty standards in a lot of the world highly valued fair skin since it was a sign that you weren't laboring in the hot sun all day like a peasant.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I mean you still won’t be seeing any models with massive freckles on their faces.
The most you can get away with for mainstream “marketable” is a single dot of a beauty mark

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

In the LN her freckles are a mix of tattoos and makeup. I guess they simplified it for the anime a bit.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Great episode. Sad to see the freckles go.

All in all this show is so drat pretty.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
my only question is why does she have natural eye shadow

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Haha I just knew she was hiding her true appearance, but I didn't expect the difference to be so dramatic. As for the eyeshadow I'd chalk that up to director's discretion, they wanted her to be beautiful.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Tabletops posted:

my only question is why does she have natural eye shadow

She doesn't.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
It was a -freckles makeup, and +actual beauty makeup done by the other ladies

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
*Marvel end credit scroll*

Freckles will return

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Those damned Dick Tracy villains...

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

An interesting cultural note for today's episode:

In the actual history of the Imperial Chinese Harem, it was very uncommon for consorts of one emperor to be brought back in for the next emperor. It was generally prohibited as being a form of incest; they were, after all, technically your dad's wife (or possibly uncle's, cousin's, brother's, etc.) The consorts of a deceased emperor were generally expected to enter taoist or buddhist nunhood, or otherwise recluse themselves from society at his death.

It did, however, occasionally occur. The most famous example is Wu Zetian, who originally entered as a consort under Emperor Taizong of Tang, and was sent to a buddhist nunnery after his death. Somehow, she was able to make contact with his heir, Emperor Gaozong, and become his consort as well, starting her rise to power as the only Empress Regnant of China.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The running gag of Maomao's fellow ladies-in-waiting all getting the exact wrong ideas about her remains completely golden. Then again some of it is wholly justified. Catcat is real scary when she's on the attack. Or excited about poisons. Shouts-out to the numnuts who heard the poison taster say "This is poison" and decided to double check her work. And to Maomao for having a Hitman tier Emetic on her person.

Also that's some Crusader Kings level stuff going on with the Emperor and his concubines.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I started watching Apothecary Diaries from the beginning again with my husband and we just caught up today. He was horrified enough with the thought of Ah-Duo being the previous emperor's honey, but to know it was Lishu well, I hadn't known his face could contort that way. It was kinda funny. He's also quite eagle-eyed in a way I wasn't when first reading the manga because he noted Ah-Duo looks like Jinshi, only a woman.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
She said the line!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

The running gag of Maomao's fellow ladies-in-waiting all getting the exact wrong ideas about her remains completely golden. Then again some of it is wholly justified. Catcat is real scary when she's on the attack. Or excited about poisons. Shouts-out to the numnuts who heard the poison taster say "This is poison" and decided to double check her work. And to Maomao for having a Hitman tier Emetic on her person.

Well the idiot though it was something a mere woman could walk away from, so sure he'd be able to check and be fine and didn't account for the taster being the type of person who'd look for a bad fugu preparer

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The moral of the story is that people who try to trick other people into eating foods they don't like should all be put to death.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Clarste posted:

The moral of the story is that people who try to trick other people into eating foods they don't like is courting death.

ftfy

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This series is really fun. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Maomao is absolutely supposed to be on the spectrum with a hyper fixation, isn't she? She's a delightful protagonist.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

cant cook creole bream posted:

Maomao is absolutely supposed to be on the spectrum with a hyper fixation, isn't she? She's a delightful protagonist.

Other than her hyper fixation I don't think she shows any symptoms of autism. She's not averse to being touched, just averse to being touched by Jinshi. And she has no issues reading facial expressions or understanding other people's emotions.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
yea, if an anime character with a running character quirk counts as autism, that's about all of them

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

No. Having a weird (and harmful) hobby doesn't indicate a fixation.

Arguably she's a bit of an adrenaline junkie with how she regards poisons.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I would go as far as to say that outside of her fascination with poisons and drugs, Mao Mao is a pretty smooth operator, who is capable of seamlessly navigate trough highly delicate social situations without ruffling feathers of anyone important and that in a very complex environment of an imperial harem, where she is an outsider. That's pretty much the opposite of being autistic.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

she'd be a TCC poster for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Other than her hyper fixation I don't think she shows any symptoms of autism. She's not averse to being touched, just averse to being touched by Jinshi. And she has no issues reading facial expressions or understanding other people's emotions.

It hasn't gotten much focus in the Anime yet, but Jinshi absolutely would disagree with saying she understands people's emotions.