Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sounds like they should have built more statues then

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bill Burr is woke now? I guess?
https://twitter.com/TheSadCrab1/status/1723749914037866646?t=F84BQ0JVO8zGT8-kKKbSgg&s=19

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Conservatives haven't liked Burr for a bit because he calls out his former friends for being racist fucks and wants nothing to do with them. Like he specifically excluded Opie and Anthony from the documentary about Patrice O'Neil and they were big mad about it.
The conservative logic is also really goofy here, "the guy in an interacial marriage doesn't like that we're racist. It's a clear sign she's the one in charge!"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Burr's always been the kind of comedian to tell extremely edgelord jokes while being like "oh triggered? gently caress off" which makes him seem like he's probably an extreme chud but from what I remember his ire had always been far more firmly aimed at conservative christians losing their mind about a woman being able to have an abortion or black people existing than at trans people or whatever conservative comics are mad at today.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I had always assumed Bill Burr was a racist shithead just because of how he presents himself, so maybe he... shouldn't act like that?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Nostradingus posted:

I had always assumed Bill Burr was a racist shithead just because of how he presents himself, so maybe he... shouldn't act like that?

That’s always been his stage gimmick afaik, he’s completely different on his podcast and in interviews

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Bill Burr's basically the only person that I've given up on figuring out the political opinions of. It's just not worth the effort.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mmhmm, mmhmm, okay

... oh wait, you're NOT talking about Bill Barr

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
He's not a racist, a transphobe (or any other flavor of bigot as far as I can tell), and as far as I know has never been accused of being a sexual predator or abuser, and he spends a lot of time calling out chud bullshit. He's alright in my book.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Bill Burr frequently says iffy stuff on stage, and then immediately follows it with, 'But I'm a dumb piece of poo poo for thinking that, if you think that you're pretty hosed up'. Which only sorta works if your audience is smart enough to listen to the whole thing and not cherry-pick what they like and what they don't.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Nostradingus posted:

Dude’s a 50+ year old white bald guy from Massachusetts. He just looks like that

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Bill Burr frequently says iffy stuff on stage, and then immediately follows it with, 'But I'm a dumb piece of poo poo for thinking that, if you think that you're pretty hosed up'. Which only sorta works if your audience is smart enough to listen to the whole thing and not cherry-pick what they like and what they don't.

So which is the nudge and a wink bit then, the central message or the caveat?

Regardless of cherry picking, framing something like that isn't always an endorsement or a denouncement of the central thesis of the joke (viz) and even with the framing you will have a gaggle of fuckwits interpreting it as a signal boost for lovely hateful views. "If you believe this you're hosed up" isn't a barrier to entry for people who proudly co-opted the badge of "deplorables" after all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I do like that Bill Burr had a bunch of jokes making fun of Star Wars nerds when episodes 7-9 came out, and then was in the Mandalorian TV show.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

If he was supposed to be a parody of a lovely conservative comedian then he's doing a bad job of being the punchline of his own jokes. I think he's just one those people who suddenly become liberal when the issue affects them personally.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

How can they say that when this exists?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

rodbeard posted:

If he was supposed to be a parody of a lovely conservative comedian then he's doing a bad job of being the punchline of his own jokes. I think he's just one those people who suddenly become liberal when the issue affects them personally.

He was actively poo poo talking bathroom laws back when they were the new hotness, so I don't think he's "suddenly become liberal", I just think a lot of people didn't pay attention to his politics and made assumptions based on his demeanor.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No I'm saying he's conservative on every issue except the one that affects him.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I only knew bill burr because he was in some episodes of the mandalorian, his character was thrown into jail and then what was essentially a labor camp ran by the rebels (the skywalker - aligned guys) and goons in the star wars TV thread were genuinely trying to argue it was just, you know, the only one bad prison it didn't reflect badly on the rebels at all

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Billburr baggins

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

rodbeard posted:

No I'm saying he's conservative on every issue except the one that affects him.

You know what, nevermind

gently caress him, Jesus christ:

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8DNautw/

Cw: whole lotta transphobia

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Remember kids, there's no such fuckin' thing as "ironic" bigotry, it's signal boosting horseshit under a thin veneer of respectability every time.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Here's a video from 15 or 20 years ago of Burr telling a joke about the n-word to a mostly-black audience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gJSz_TxAuc&t=262s

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Croccers posted:

((((large breasts))))

More parentheses means more focus on that phrase.

I thought using multiple parentheses was right-wing code for "jewish"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Coolness Averted posted:

Conservatives haven't liked Burr for a bit because he calls out his former friends for being racist fucks and wants nothing to do with them. Like he specifically excluded Opie and Anthony from the documentary about Patrice O'Neil and they were big mad about it.

I'd wager Opie was left out for being an unfunny zilch with zero insight into anything. Ant though :yikes:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

BrigadierSensible posted:

It's for when a birb does ( ( (screm) ) )

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

no it means big Ashkenazi IQ

Also apparently Loom is doing the incel geometry thing with Burr and his wife.

PhazonLink has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Nov 13, 2023

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I thought it was for thing birb does until I found out the hard way by doing one on social media and being gently corrected by a friend. I was very embarrassed and haven’t done it again, but also a little sad because I thought it was funny in the bird context

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My favorite bit was Bill Burr scolding women on not doing feminism correctly during his recent-ish monologue on SNL or the Emmys or whatever, as if he hadn't spent over ten years whining about how stupid and annoying feminists are, with countless "BILL BURR DESTROYS FEMINISTS" compilations and soundbytes floating around forever. There is absolutely a conversation to be had about intersectionality, white women uplifting themselves at the expense of women of color, etc, and it's not discussed as often as it should be. I'd just rather hear his wife talk about it than him! That man does not actually give a poo poo about intersectionality or any of that, he just wanted to piss people off.

Basically this:

A Twitter post posted:

Bill Burr is trash and has always been trash. Not because he doesn’t raise valid criticisms in some of his comedy, but because he has always leveraged his ability to point them out to the detriment of change and the benefit of himself, and he can gently caress off into the sun for it.

It reminded me of when right-wingers suddenly REALLY cared about :decorum: in women's soccer once the players came out against Trump, as if these same GOP assholes hadn't spent the past 15+ years laughing about how soccer is for those drat sissy Europeans. How can you boycott something you've never cared about or watched?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've been using triple parentheses for more than a decade, just to make like, (((weird emphases))) on things. I picked it up from Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. I only found out a few months ago it's a fuckin Nazi thing. :mad:

This was my thing! I only have the one thing!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The weird part about the triple parantheses to me is that, for as long as I remember, ((double parentheses)) is code for people in text-based roleplaying environments to communicate out-of-character. So I kept wanting to connect the two.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Read After Burning posted:

My favorite bit was Bill Burr scolding women on not doing feminism correctly during his recent-ish monologue on SNL or the Emmys or whatever, as if he hadn't spent over ten years whining about how stupid and annoying feminists are, with countless "BILL BURR DESTROYS FEMINISTS" compilations and soundbytes floating around forever. There is absolutely a conversation to be had about intersectionality, white women uplifting themselves at the expense of women of color, etc, and it's not discussed as often as it should be. I'd just rather hear his wife talk about it than him! That man does not actually give a poo poo about intersectionality or any of that, he just wanted to piss people off.

Basically this:

It reminded me of when right-wingers suddenly REALLY cared about :decorum: in women's soccer once the players came out against Trump, as if these same GOP assholes hadn't spent the past 15+ years laughing about how soccer is for those drat sissy Europeans. How can you boycott something you've never cared about or watched?

Let's be honest: soccer is a terrible sport that should be kept far away from here. We've got plenty of actually good sports that we can watch

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There were a good few months when the Web at large found out about the cringe dog whistling and started applying it (((gratuitously))) to words and in contexts where it was nonsensical.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bill Burr is like most people in that his politics are not particularly consistent or coherent. Trying to determine if he’s 100% chud or a woke crusader is a waste of time.

Being casually transphobic but also thinking anti-trans legislation and panic is stupid is like the default American position these days.

Henchman of Santa has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Nov 13, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Cleretic posted:

The weird part about the triple parantheses to me is that, for as long as I remember, ((double parentheses)) is code for people in text-based roleplaying environments to communicate out-of-character. So I kept wanting to connect the two.

I thought it was the double colon ::

::looks nervous::

::kawaiiface::

::cringes::

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

dialhforhero posted:

I thought it was the double colon ::

::looks nervous::

::kawaiiface::

::cringes::

Oh, that's for actions when speech is covered by plain text. Asterisks also serve the same purpose.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
is this where these go

https://twitter.com/OregonMapGuy/status/1723761583237877834

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Homer purchases lumber the same way Ben Shapiro does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Gee I wonder why voting rates keep going down, better meet hitler in the middle, again