Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
whedon tried to connect his stuff via weyland yutani but no one cares except whedon nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Hannibal was on free to air in the US? Hahah, gently caress. Like those gothic murder scenes. Like pretty sure that show was far gorier that hellriser.

Although wait are all those incredibly stupid NTIS, NTIC, what ever, gory detective shows on free to air? I guess they must be. Not... to much worse then that.

Swearing or nudity, oh no! Piles of skinned people filmed in excessive detail, all okay!

Correct, all the sinful flesh is removed so it’s kosher

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I threw on the Feels Good Man documentary from a few years ago on the origin of Pepe the Frog. Actually a pretty good documentary on the artist, the alt-right, and meme culture in general. The Something Awful forums get a brief appearance early on, too.

dr_rat posted:

Yeah it's Blade Runner. The writer David Webb Peoples co-wrote Blade Runner, and he said he considered it to be set in the same universe. The Tannhäuser Gate are mentioned and a spinner can be seen in some trash yard.

They didn't get the rights or anything though.

Edit: Just looked it up when the writer for Event Horizon was asked about it he says "he played the poo poo out of WH40K and it was definitely an influence on Event Horizon", but that's the only official connection for that one.

There are also spinners on Coruscant in The Phantom Menace. Also Dave Bowman's pod from 2001 is in Watto's junk yard, which makes me want to see an edit to the end of 2001 where the Monolith takes him to Tatooine.

With the Warhammer connection to Event Horizon, I'd always heard the ship's FTL be compared to the Warp but I never realized it was an actual influence.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I threw on the Feels Good Man documentary from a few years ago on the origin of Pepe the Frog. Actually a pretty good documentary on the artist, the alt-right, and meme culture in general. The Something Awful forums get a brief appearance early on, too.

There are also spinners on Coruscant in The Phantom Menace. Also Dave Bowman's pod from 2001 is in Watto's junk yard, which makes me want to see an edit to the end of 2001 where the Monolith takes him to Tatooine.

With the Warhammer connection to Event Horizon, I'd always heard the ship's FTL be compared to the Warp but I never realized it was an actual influence.

The ship is a giant cathedral and looks 40K as hell though

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The rescue team should have been smacking Sam Neill on the back of his head with every new room they entered saying "You designed it to look like the inside of a Cenobite's cock cage on purpose? The hell is wrong with you, man?"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But yeah the Event Horizon basically rolled through a Slaanesh domain and just started a murder orgy because sure why not

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?
Event Horizon is a 40k prequel because it shows what happens when you try to traverse the Warp before you invent Gellar fields

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

joylessdivision posted:

The ship is a giant cathedral and looks 40K as hell though

Also, the FTL core is - by the artists' admitted intention - an imprisoned angel. A ball of fire surrounded by wheels covered in eyes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's now being reported that WB has given up on shitcanning Coyote vs Acme and are shopping it around to other distributors for release.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

It's now being reported that WB has given up on shitcanning Coyote vs Acme and are shopping it around to other distributors for release.

Hoorah! Like it may or may not be good, but at least it deserves a bloody chance.

It does sound like it could be good though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cythereal posted:

Also, the FTL core is - by the artists' admitted intention - an imprisoned angel. A ball of fire surrounded by wheels covered in eyes.

That's sick

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The production design on event horizon was just great. Incredibly over the top and a better movie for it.

Love the random walkway through a hallway of rotating blades for like literally no explained reasons. Absolutely Perfect. no notes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

dr_rat posted:

The production design on event horizon was just great. Incredibly over the top and a better movie for it.

Love the random walkway through a hallway of rotating blades for like literally no explained reasons. Absolutely Perfect. no notes.

This is very similar to a shot from Nightmare on Elm Street 4 and I just now realized I got Renny Harlin and Paul WS Anderson confused.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

I assume this is not due to shame, but because the volume of backlash finally got through to them…

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hope the movie makes a bajillion dollars just to make WB look like dumbasses again. Didn't they do something similar with The Joker and saw basically none of the profits?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured the joke with Event Horizon is that every bizarre aspect of the ship is necessary for the FTL drive to function and they learned all too late what the implications were.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figured the joke with Event Horizon is that every bizarre aspect of the ship is necessary for the FTL drive to function and they learned all too late what the implications were.

"Seems the ship goes faster if you put this room full of torture racks? Strange, but who am I to argue with science."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well yeah, they do make everything individually just plausible enough so you can think, oh okay yeah sure I guess I can see how that could be need to be like that for the ship to work. The spinning rings, the spikes, the long hallways, the gothic columns in the hospital place. But than when you look at it all together, it's just, but this ship is evil right?

Like they say it went to the hell dimension and become evil, and I'm with you, that ship seemed evil to begin with and going to hell was just inherently in it's design.

I mean Sam Neil designed it of course it was pure evil!!!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hasturtium posted:

I assume this is not due to shame, but because the volume of backlash finally got through to them…

These drat toxic Coyote Bros and their targeted harassment campaign against innocent WB execs! I mean, has anyone looked at how many Looney Tunes fan accounts are just bots?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Well yeah, they do make everything individually just plausible enough so you can think, oh okay yeah sure I guess I can see how that could be need to be like that for the ship to work. The spinning rings, the spikes, the long hallways, the gothic columns in the hospital place. But than when you look at it all together, it's just, but this ship is evil right?

Like they say it went to the hell dimension and become evil, and I'm with you, that ship seemed evil to begin with and going to hell was just inherently in it's design.

I mean Sam Neil designed it of course it was pure evil!!!

It's a bit like that South Park Day After Tomorrow parody where Randy is drawing all over the map to show the doomsday weather patterns and draws a dick and balls by pure accident and it takes him a minute to notice. Sam Neil was drawing up the designs of a purely functional FTL spaceship and realized only after the fact he'd accidentally made a Satanic Blood Orgy Cruise

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 13, 2023

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Everything I'm hearing says The Marvels is doing really poorly right now. Apparently its just barely broken 100 mil at the box office post-opening weekend with a listed budget of roughly 270 mil, so unless something drastically changes then Marvel/Disney is about to eat a huge loss.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Asterite34 posted:

Sam Neil was drawing up the designs of a purely functional FTL spaceship and realized only after the fact he'd accidentally made a Satanic Blood Orgy Cruise

And the madman still went ahead and had it built.

Good for him.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Everything I'm hearing says The Marvels is doing really poorly right now. Apparently its just barely broken 100 mil at the box office post-opening weekend with a listed budget of roughly 270 mil, so unless something drastically changes then Marvel/Disney is about to eat a huge loss.
Yeah being reported as a major flop. Would be a bit funny that movie the singled the end of the current Marvel MCU was called "the Marvels".

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Wait, why is it all dark and gothic and stuff? I demanded ample strip lighting, this is a wildly unsafe working environment! And didn't we agree on more of a pastel blue interior color scheme?"

"Sorry sir, for some reason that seems to interfere with the space-time folding, the computer models show the FTL drive only works if the decor is more gunmetal grey and covered in spikes, we're not sure why."

"...eh, gently caress it, it's a prototype, we can iron that out in the production model."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

dr_rat posted:

Oh i just watched this movie a month ago, surprisingly entertaining for a WS Anderson movie. Wish they had gotten to go even weirder and Hellraiser-esque with it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ccs posted:

Oh i just watched this movie a month ago, surprisingly entertaining for a WS Anderson movie. Wish they had gotten to go even weirder and Hellraiser-esque with it.

They actually did, there’s a big chunk of the hell stuff cut out and lost. There was some rumor about it being found years ago but nothing ever materialized

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

There was some rumor about it being found years ago but nothing ever materialized

They literally hid the deleted footage away in a mine in Transylvania

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/GarfieldMovie/status/1724064572078690325

[First 20ish seconds of the trailer]: Oh this could be pretty interesting.
[Next 10ish seconds of the trailer]: Oh no.
[Hear Garfield speak and to the end of the trailer]: OH NO.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's too bad because other than some wonkiness at the end it is a very fun movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

RevKrule posted:

"Well it's not like it's gonna be Chris Pratt or something."

My exact thought as it was starting.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

RevKrule posted:

Just what everyone was asking for, an origin story for Garfield.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Well it's not like it's gonna be Chris Pratt or something."

My exact thought as it was starting.

:lol:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Are you loving serious, well now I have yet another excuse to not see it

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Odie in that thumbnail is giving off some photorealistic Homer Simpson vibes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I saw the poster earlier and tried to do some math to figure out how another actor fits into the Lorenzo Music/Bill Murray dyad but this is far dumber than I could have guessed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dr_rat posted:

Cherry (2021) directed by The Russo Bros

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That Garfield trailer looks like they had a Heathcliff movie already written 30 years ago and just stapled a different orange cat name on top

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/coyote-vs-acme-wb-warners-canceled-reversal-shop-film-1235645372/

Apparently one thing that convinced WB to change their minds on Coyote vs Acme is that filmmakers started canceling meetings with them for potential projects. Especially after it came out that the movie was made on time, on budget and was testing well which meant there wasn't any excuse like with Batgirl where they claimed it was terrible.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Apparently one thing that convinced WB to change their minds on Coyote vs Acme is that filmmakers started canceling meetings with them for potential projects. Especially after it came out that the movie was made on time, on budget and was testing well which meant there wasn't any excuse like with Batgirl where they claimed it was terrible.

lol. That's great.

Which brings up the question, if it was testing well, is canceling it for I'm assuming just a simple tax writer off worth it? Like why produce the thing in the first place if they didn't think it would make some money if it came out okay?

Do we just need to assume they were going to start canceling anything that they thought wasn't going to be a massive hit?

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 13, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BE NOT AFRAID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

BE NOT AFRAID