Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Nana Visitor really sells it, but I always kind of wished it was revealed as a psychotic break, Bajoran intelligence operation or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

They should have made Odo move on from Kira, agreed. Especially after Children of Time cause that was some yikes stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
She did what with Chakotay's "extracted DNA"?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

TOS - Shore Leave

Kirk is tense and asks for a back massage. He's really getting into it but gets embarrassed when he realises it wasn't Spock giving it to him but a female crew member.

While exploring a planet Bones sees Alice and the White Rabbit. He calls Kirk to report either weird poo poo going down or he's lost his mind. Kirk laughs at this classic McCoy gag.

Sulu finds a gun and just starts firing off rounds, having the time of his life. He isn't under alien influence, he just thinks guns are rad. His new toy is confiscated by Captain Dad.

A sinister TV antennae follows Kirk and Bones.

Kirk is attacked by his old bully who cackles and dances around to jaunty music.

Yeoman Barrows (the lady who massaged Kirk before) is sexually assaulted by a man in a cloak. Kirk says "are you sure you didn't imagine this?"

Kirk decides it's too dangerous for Sulu to be alone so runs to find him. He stops to wistfully pick a flower then sees his ex girlfriend and decides to chill with her instead. He's not hypnotised, just lovesick.

Bones is enjoying a romantic stroll with Yeoman Barrows now. She mentions feeling like a princess. Bones says then she'll have to fight off hundreds of suitors then, including him. They find a princess costume and Bones pressures her to put it on.

Two random crew members are menaced by a tiger.

Sulu is wandering around and a samurai pops out of a trap door and attacks him. Sulu tries to blast it but his phaser keeps failing.

Spock beams down to saying that communications and beaming back off the planet are impossible now. He caught the last possible transporter flight to warn them. Theres a weird underground energy thingy.

A knight on horseback charges Bones and his princess gf. Bones tries to stare him down and takes a lance to the chest. Kirk blows the knight away with Sulu's gun.

Bones is loving dead. Princess Yeoman cries while Kirk and Spock look sad. Sulu checks on the knight and sees that it's a dummy inside the armor. Everything decides this is weird as hell.

The two randos were on a kind of work date and the guy was talking about WW2 fighter planes because he's knows a lot about women. They get attacked by a WW2 fighter plane.

The bodies of Bones and the knight disappear. Spock asks Kirk exactly what he was thinking about when the weird poo poo showed up. Kirk's bully shows up again and Kirk can't resist a jaunty chase, running after him.

Kirk finally gets to beat up his old bully after getting his rear end kicked about three more times. Spock is looking on "Did you enjoy that Captain?"

All the hallucinations from all the crew member come in for a HUGE party! Kirk gets the crew to stand at attention and not think about anything. The hallucinations go away.

A Space Guy who runs the planet shows up and says this is basically an RL holodeck based on inner desires. He didn't realise until now the crew didn't fully understand what was happening.

Bones is alive, with a sexy lady on each arm. Apparently the Space Guy fixed him up after the whole lance incident. Yeoman Barrows walk up and is like "ok buster explain yourself." Everyone laughs at his embarrassment. She takes his arm and the girls go off to Sulu and Spock.

Space Guy says the Federation maybe isn't ready to meet his people yet but the crew is free to come down and have a good time. Kirk is like "hell yeah!" Spock gently pushes the woman aside and immediately requests to go back to the ship.

Back on the ship Spock says the fact that the crew enjoyed being on that weird planet is "most illogical" everyone laughs as we fade to credits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

She did what with Chakotay's "extracted DNA"?

baby

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zedd posted:

They should have made Odo move on from Kira, agreed. Especially after Children of Time cause that was some yikes stuff.

I actually quite like that bit
But that episode is why they decided to get the two back together, they'd decided Odo was over Kira until that.

Which is another baffling thing, I guess I can't imagine not planning anything AT ALL out and going with the flow

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Almost every show from that era put out some pretty weird messages about unrequited love, so I'm not really out to defend it. Odo has a pretty good in-character reason for it though, being an alien who was meant to live in a permanently connected state with the rest of his species and now trying to figure out how to make an actual effort to connect with someone else in a similar way. I feel like they could've mined some more interesting stuff out of exploring that concept more explicitly, though (I don't mean it that way, perv).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I dunno, X rated Odo could give some fun scenes if it wasn't very serious. Can we train a second Dune trilogy Herbert AI to give it a go maybe?

But yeah, giving Odo a personal connection to the humanoids was a good idea, I'm just not sure Kira was a good match. I don't know who would be though, they'd probably have needed a new character.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Really? That seems incredibly obvious to me

Quark

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Odo falling madly in love with O'Brien

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Really? That seems incredibly obvious to me

Quark

That would certainly require some modern rewriting of Quark, but it could work I guess. It would definitely not have been acceptable in the 90s though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

BonHair posted:

That would certainly require some modern rewriting of Quark, but it could work I guess. It would definitely not have been acceptable in the 90s though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-VvqbpLnL0

They got it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't like the relationship because I didn't like thinking about the....logistics of it all

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Now who's not being true to Roddenberry's vision?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

zoux posted:

I didn't like the relationship because I didn't like thinking about the....logistics of it all

So you draw the line at a couple having TWO prehensile penises?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

Now who's not being true to Roddenberry's vision?

*Gene looking at the Great Link, starry-eyed* waves and waves of cum...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like he could just gooch himself up all in there, entirely.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Obviously Odo's ideal companion is the Quarks head on Kira's body hologram brought to life through space magic.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I suggest we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
E: ^^lol^^

zoux posted:

Instead of thrusting his butt just gets bigger and smaller due to displacement

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I suggest we use the tractor beam to alter the thread's trajectory. :geno:

If we decompress GBS that should blow us clear

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I am experiencing nIb'poH, the feeling I have read this before.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I am experiencing a gorch

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So much for the new Classic Star Trek Megathread, think they'll make another one?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

So much for the new Classic Star Trek Megathread, think they'll make another one?

Plenty of shitposters left in this forum

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

TOS - Shore Leave

Kirk is tense and asks for a back massage. He's really getting into it but gets embarrassed when he realises it wasn't Spock giving it to him but a female crew member.

While exploring a planet Bones sees Alice and the White Rabbit. He calls Kirk to report either weird poo poo going down or he's lost his mind. Kirk laughs at this classic McCoy gag.

Sulu finds a gun and just starts firing off rounds, having the time of his life. He isn't under alien influence, he just thinks guns are rad. His new toy is confiscated by Captain Dad.

A sinister TV antennae follows Kirk and Bones.

Kirk is attacked by his old bully who cackles and dances around to jaunty music.

Yeoman Barrows (the lady who massaged Kirk before) is sexually assaulted by a man in a cloak. Kirk says "are you sure you didn't imagine this?"

Kirk decides it's too dangerous for Sulu to be alone so runs to find him. He stops to wistfully pick a flower then sees his ex girlfriend and decides to chill with her instead. He's not hypnotised, just lovesick.

Bones is enjoying a romantic stroll with Yeoman Barrows now. She mentions feeling like a princess. Bones says then she'll have to fight off hundreds of suitors then, including him. They find a princess costume and Bones pressures her to put it on.

Two random crew members are menaced by a tiger.

Sulu is wandering around and a samurai pops out of a trap door and attacks him. Sulu tries to blast it but his phaser keeps failing.

Spock beams down to saying that communications and beaming back off the planet are impossible now. He caught the last possible transporter flight to warn them. Theres a weird underground energy thingy.

A knight on horseback charges Bones and his princess gf. Bones tries to stare him down and takes a lance to the chest. Kirk blows the knight away with Sulu's gun.

Bones is loving dead. Princess Yeoman cries while Kirk and Spock look sad. Sulu checks on the knight and sees that it's a dummy inside the armor. Everything decides this is weird as hell.

The two randos were on a kind of work date and the guy was talking about WW2 fighter planes because he's knows a lot about women. They get attacked by a WW2 fighter plane.

The bodies of Bones and the knight disappear. Spock asks Kirk exactly what he was thinking about when the weird poo poo showed up. Kirk's bully shows up again and Kirk can't resist a jaunty chase, running after him.

Kirk finally gets to beat up his old bully after getting his rear end kicked about three more times. Spock is looking on "Did you enjoy that Captain?"

All the hallucinations from all the crew member come in for a HUGE party! Kirk gets the crew to stand at attention and not think about anything. The hallucinations go away.

A Space Guy who runs the planet shows up and says this is basically an RL holodeck based on inner desires. He didn't realise until now the crew didn't fully understand what was happening.

Bones is alive, with a sexy lady on each arm. Apparently the Space Guy fixed him up after the whole lance incident. Yeoman Barrows walk up and is like "ok buster explain yourself." Everyone laughs at his embarrassment. She takes his arm and the girls go off to Sulu and Spock.

Space Guy says the Federation maybe isn't ready to meet his people yet but the crew is free to come down and have a good time. Kirk is like "hell yeah!" Spock gently pushes the woman aside and immediately requests to go back to the ship.

Back on the ship Spock says the fact that the crew enjoyed being on that weird planet is "most illogical" everyone laughs as we fade to credits.

Writer 1 to Writer 2: "Bet you :10bux: you can't get everything in this prop/costume closet on screen"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember reading somewhere that Roddenberry was on location furiously writing script pages, they were so far behind on production for that episode

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Is that the first episode to include the wacky/threatening music? It really stood out to me when the rabbit was hopping around and then I noticed it in every episode after.

It's not even the worst premise for an episode. It's just classic bad execution.

Also, as mentioned I watched "Maneuvers" last night and it was mostly fine, but there are just a couple of things that could have been done to really elevate it, like making it Chakotay's and Janeway's plan all along to get close to Seska to undermine her, more obviously using Tuvok's suggestion from earlier in the episode to manipulate her back.

I know this is practically a meme at this point to mention holes in Starfleet security, but loving hell you'd think they would have changed the security codes the instant the Maquis were integrated into the crew and kept that information from anyone except for B'Elanna and Chakotay who would actually need them. Seska should never have had any insight into the operation of the ship beyond what she had to do at her duty station for at least a year.

And then when she was outed as a loving Cardassian infiltrator, you'd think as a precaution they'd have like purged her access codes and updated security. At least the show isn't so stupid as to ignore this because Janeway tells Tuvok to never let it happen again.

I bet it's totally going to loving happen again.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Pwnstar posted:

TOS - Shore Leave

I could read episode recaps like this all day long.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
What exactly is this Trabe-Kazon conflict trying to say about Israel-Palestine?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s not Israel-Palestine, it’s a much more boneheaded take on US race relations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HD DAD posted:

It’s not Israel-Palestine, it’s a much more boneheaded take on US race relations.

I think this may be the one time where death of the author is a legitimate defense of my analysis. The writer may have intended to have written it about US race relations, but the literal oppression and cycle of violence scream Israel-Palestine.

Plus you also have the allegory of the Thrabe as a diaspora, exiled from their homeland. Then there's the Kazon's regressive views on women reflecting Islamic extremism.

I know it's not a perfect analogy and maybe it's just because it's the hot item in the news, but I think it's a fair comparison.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HD DAD posted:

It's tradition

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

in the 90s it was traditional to have extremely weird opinions about 'gangs'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Kazon are lowkey one of the most racist bits in Star Trek

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

No Dignity posted:

The Kazon are lowkey one of the most racist bits in Star Trek

Admiral Cartwright voice: The alien trash of the galaxy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Kazon need to stop listening to the drat rap music and pull up their pants

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
All I remember about the Kazon is that they were a less interesting version of Klingons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Getting turned down by the Borg because they want to improve their collective by assimilating cultures must have been a stinger.