Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

YNAB (you need a budget) is the best and it’s not even close.

I’m a happy YNAB user, but its whole thing is really more about the way you budget than the actual app. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re willing to learn to use their whole methodology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Any reasonable free options?

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

PocketBook is free, supports Dropbox (and OPDS if that’s your flavor) and has some more advanced features like add your own fonts.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m looking for a journaling app for the ipad to write a bit everyday. I don’t need anything fancy, just basic text entry. Unfortunately so much stuff is on the subscription model. is there anything free or one time cost that’s decent?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I’m looking for a journaling app for the ipad to write a bit everyday. I don’t need anything fancy, just basic text entry. Unfortunately so much stuff is on the subscription model. is there anything free or one time cost that’s decent?

Just wait for Apple’s, should be coming in the next point update.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Arivia posted:

Just wait for Apple’s, should be coming in the next point update.

The Apple journal app isn’t available on the iPad or Mac.

It’ll probably be an iPadOS 18 feature but as of now with 17.2 Journal is iPhone only.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

ArcaneMan posted:

Any reasonable free options?

there's Actual which is now open source and fully free - it has iOS support as well as the other major platforms, you have to self host it though

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

hadji murad posted:

For a basic text entry, couldn't you just use Apple's Notes? That should fit the bill.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I think most of the journaling apps are going to be overcooked for your purpose of “a bit of text each day” because they all try to do so much more than that - every media format and every journal type.

I ended up with Notion for all my notes and writing, and while I have a section I use for a journal it isn’t built for that purpose. It’s generally ok as a tool but I would leave it for something better.

Before that I used Evernote which was ok until the free account was eventually restricted down to uselessness. It’s also general note taking and organisation rather than specific journal design.

There is Day One, which is designed to be a journal but I didn’t like the design much, and it also wants to be everything to everyone. There were others I’ve tried but none that were memorable.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Skeezy posted:

It’ll probably be an iPadOS 18 feature but as of now with 17.2 Journal is iPhone only.

Apple does some good things then continues to say gently caress you for actually making said good things work across all of their platforms jesus christ.

Hell I'm still pissed that facial recognition to unlock the ipad STILL won't work if you are wearing a mask.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Skeezy posted:

I saw Journal, got excited, then saw that it was phone only. The least desirable way to journal.

Tupac shot Cobain posted:

For a basic text entry, couldn't you just use Apple's Notes? That should fit the bill.

I have used it before but I have so many random things in there I want to keep it separate.

DRINK ME posted:

I think most of the journaling apps are going to be overcooked for your purpose of “a bit of text each day” because they all try to do so much more than that - every media format and every journal type.

I ended up with Notion for all my notes and writing, and while I have a section I use for a journal it isn’t built for that purpose. It’s generally ok as a tool but I would leave it for something better.

Before that I used Evernote which was ok until the free account was eventually restricted down to uselessness. It’s also general note taking and organisation rather than specific journal design.

There is Day One, which is designed to be a journal but I didn’t like the design much, and it also wants to be everything to everyone. There were others I’ve tried but none that were memorable.

Thanks for this. I'm still looking. Wish there was just something simple!

e: maybe I will just use Pages

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 14, 2023

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Maybe check out Bear?
I use it on iOS for really simple quick notes but could also do the same for journaling

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hadji murad posted:

I saw Journal, got excited, then saw that it was phone only. The least desirable way to journal.

I wouldn't think it's least desirable since you always have your phone on you no? Maybe inspiration strikes when you're out??

I dunno.

Anyways yeah it's wack as hell that Apple does it but they need an iPadOS 18 feature to tout. Remember how 17 got the wallpapers from 16 finally?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Skeezy posted:

Remember when Apple started putting their own apps in the App Store so they could be separate from the general OS updates and be worked on more independently?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

~Coxy posted:

Remember when Apple started putting their own apps in the App Store so they could be separate from the general OS updates and be worked on more independently?

Pretty sure that was just so they could advertise above listings of other apps in categories they have stock apps for, and so you could reinstall them if you delete them. Don't think they've ever delivered an update that way

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah they don't do updates outside of the big OS releases and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

I think OS releases should be every two years for polish purposes but that won't ever happen either. It looks better when at WWDC they can advertise a nice big update and everyone is happy.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Drafts has an option to append an entry to a plain text journal file in Dropbox, iCloud, Google Drive and OneDrive.The app opens with a blank document, so perhaps that might work?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh and another thing with Journal, not sure if this is a bug or by design, but you cannot search in the app at all, which seems like a weird thing to not have in a journaling app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I’m looking for an app to store and view pdfs of hundreds of video game manuals so I’d like it to have a robust organization feature… it’d be great if it had some kind of bookshelf look but I doubt anything has that anymore.

I found this old pic for an Android app and it’s exactly what I want. But I wasn’t sure if anyone knew of a iOS equivalent.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t have an answer, but the app you showed is a straight up rip off of the old iBooks app.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t have an answer, but the app you showed is a straight up rip off of the old iBooks app.

Right? Turns out I kinda miss some of those skeuomorphic designs...

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wasn’t that iBooks design just a ripoff of the Delicious Library app :haw:

There’s a term for that when Apple especially just absorbs good features of other apps into their software and effectively kill that app but I can’t remember it dammit.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

There’s a term for that when Apple especially just absorbs good features of other apps into their software and effectively kill that app but I can’t remember it dammit.

Sherlocking

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah yes that’s the one! Thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple loved Delicious Library so much, they sherlocked the developer by hiring him a couple years ago. He still keeps the app updated to the latest version of macOS, though.

Shame there's no iOS version.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Delicious library actually got me interested in owning a macbook, it was such a slick app at the time, I loved it. Back when big DVD libraries were a thing lol

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Disappointing Pie posted:

I’m looking for an app to store and view pdfs of hundreds of video game manuals so I’d like it to have a robust organization feature… it’d be great if it had some kind of bookshelf look but I doubt anything has that anymore.

I found this old pic for an Android app and it’s exactly what I want. But I wasn’t sure if anyone knew of a iOS equivalent.

I think Panels may have the best bookshelf kind of view. Or GoodReader with a tile view

Weedle
May 31, 2006

goodreader whips rear end for pdfs

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Weedle posted:

goodreader whips rear end for pdfs

The… llama’s rear end, per say?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh how do you feel about Files’s tile view? That would probably be by far the simplest way to go. Just save your manuals to iCloud or whatever cloud storage you want and look at the folder in Files.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best password manager to sync login info between iPhone and Google Chrome on PC? I don't use iPhone but need to help my mom out, she's writing her passwords in a Word document. 😭

I see there's an iCloud Passwords extension for Chrome but all the reviews say it's poo poo.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

smoobles posted:

What's the best password manager to sync login info between iPhone and Google Chrome on PC? I don't use iPhone but need to help my mom out, she's writing her passwords in a Word document. 😭

I see there's an iCloud Passwords extension for Chrome but all the reviews say it's poo poo.

1Password is the only non-Apple mom-safe solution imo

All the others are either a little too complex/jank, or have proven themselves unable to secure your poo poo (looking at you, LastPass)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve found BitWarden to be simple enough if you’re just storing passwords and don’t need anything like other data types or images.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

101 posted:

1Password is the only non-Apple mom-safe solution imo

All the others are either a little too complex/jank, or have proven themselves unable to secure your poo poo (looking at you, LastPass)

Yep the family vault sharing is great

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Chrome extension is supposed to be better now, but I can’t say with any authority that it is. Could be worth trying before signing up for 1Password.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I used Fuelly for a long time to track car mileage and tuneups but just realized it hasn’t received any updates in years… what’s a good car mileage/service tracking app? Simple and actively updated are what I need.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

I used Fuelly for a long time to track car mileage and tuneups but just realized it hasn’t received any updates in years… what’s a good car mileage/service tracking app? Simple and actively updated are what I need.

I use road trip

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

+1 to RoadTrip too, been using it for forever and it’s all I need.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks! I’ll give Road Trip a try. From the screen shots looks like it’s exactly what I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
After switching to iPhone after years on android I’m genuinely impressed by how terrible CarPlay is.

Is it supposed to just be a pretty facade that doesn’t do anything? I’ve tried both Spotify and pocketcasts now and you can’t go pick a podcast or playlist and hit play. You can see everything just fine, but when you pick a podcast or song you get a grey screen and nothing plays.