Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I will admit it does leave a bad taste when cries for help from abuse victims are censured and removed. It gets way to close too "this makes me uncomfortable so lets ignore it" that is the cause of so much pain and inequality in the world.

As above posted said, sometimes the massive responses from hundreds to thousands of people is what the person stuck in that place needed to get out, and yes posts like the above have caused me to log on to my reddit acount before and joint the chorus telling the person that "No, this is not normal do not accept it!"

Not everyone wants to wallow in abuse stories like you implied there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Noir89 posted:

I will admit it does leave a bad taste when cries for help from abuse victims are censured and removed. It gets way to close too "this makes me uncomfortable so lets ignore it" that is the cause of so much pain and inequality in the world.

As above posted said, sometimes the massive responses from hundreds to thousands of people is what the person stuck in that place needed to get out, and yes posts like the above have caused me to log on to my reddit acount before and joint the chorus telling the person that "No, this is not normal do not accept it!"

Watching people escape a cycle of abuse is therapeutic for some of us who grew up in abusive households but we should definitely just read 20 stories about some 20 year old who treats his gf like his mom and hug instead

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
anyone got a massive signature I can look at please

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yes, but the abuse stories are not usually posted with the uplifting replies. And I hear from people that are upset by them all the time compared to people that think they should be posted. In fact, this is the first time I've seen someone insist "99% of the stories are about abuse so why bother?"

If the less horrible abuse stories had the supportive replies and positive updates included, I'd leave them in the thread. But stories that are just "How can I escape this cycle that's only gotten worse since we got married and had kids?" are just depressing, triggering, and don't usually have anything funny or amusing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA: Say good morning or let them sleep?

quote:

Every morning my husband leaves around 6:15 for work. We have two kids: 5 and 7 years old. He wants to say goodbye to them before he leaves, the problem is, they are sleeping. If he says goodbye to them, they will wake up at 6:15. If he leaves them alone, they will sleep for another hour, and I have an extra 30-45 mins to myself to get ready for work without kids nagging me. AITA because I want 30 mins to myself in the morning to get ready at the expense of my husband not being able to wake them up and say goodbye before he leaves? He claims that he didn’t wake them up and they were up anyway when he says goodbye, but they will sleep for 30-45 mins longer if he doesn’t open their door leaves them undisturbed before he goes to work.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If the less horrible abuse stories had the supportive replies and positive updates included, I'd leave them in the thread.

This is actually a great rule idea, turns a negative into a positive. That and/or using spoilers/CW.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
We do insist on trigger warnings. But there are still some stories of abuse that don't have any sort of resolution or update, it just gets worse. Those will not be posted in this thread regardless.

And I do agree that seeing someone escape a lovely situation can help. If you go back through this 2.5 year old thread you'll see plenty of instances where some stories that started out with terrible circumstances ended up turning out pretty okay between the replies and updates.

EDIT: I apologize for initially responding to this subject hostilely. In the past when I've asked abuse stories to be edited or removed someone else takes it as a challenge to post the most hosed up poo poo they can find.

I'm going to be rebooting the thread soon so at some point I'm going to be asking for input and feedback for a new OP, revised rules, etc. I welcome everyone to participate so this can continue being a thread people want to keep visiting.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 13, 2023

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
If the IK doesn't want abuse stories they don't want abuse stories. I don't get this goon tendency of "we MUST do thing and here is a 27 point memo on why" when it literally has less than zero impact on your life overall

We don't need a derail on it

Also Vim cut it out with the sig poo poo

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
WIBTA if I told my MIL to stop moaning while she eats?

quote:

WIBTA if I tell my boyfriends mom to stop moaning when she eats

It’s so awkward. Literally after every single bite of anything she pauses and lets out a long Moan. At first it was almost comical like does no one else notice this? But it’s driving me insane. Having toast? bites “mmmmmmmmm mmmm mmmm” bites “uuuuughmmmm” Breakfast lunch dinner. Doesn’t matter. Hell she’ll do it after potato chips. She sounds like she’s making love to her food.

I’ve tried to just leave the table and to eat elsewhere but she spoke up and said it was rude to not eat at the table. I completely lose my appetite and get weirdly enraged by it. So WIBTA if I asked her to stop moaning after every bite?

oh gently caress i'm gonna eat

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

If you're going to masticate do it quietly

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Seth Pecksniff posted:

If the IK doesn't want abuse stories they don't want abuse stories. I don't get this goon tendency of "we MUST do thing and here is a 27 point memo on why" when it literally has less than zero impact on your life overall

We don't need a derail on it

Also Vim cut it out with the sig poo poo
Its "how dare you tell me what I can or cannot post", rebelling against the slightest touch of moderation telling them to not be dicks to other people.

AITA for setting an ultimatum with my sister over sign language?

quote:

ETA: Not asking for judgement on the personal medical decision MY family made for OUR daughter. She has not had an interest in an implant but if she does later on, the option is available. We wanted her to have the choice, but also to grow up in deaf culture. I am not going to defend this anymore to Internet randoms, but please consider researching deaf opinions on the matter. As a hearing person, I can only give a very limited perspective.

Hi all. I (30F) am hearing, married to a deaf man (32M) - I’m going to call him Walter - and we have a deaf daughter (6F) - I’ll call her Cora. Walter comes from a primarily deaf family but my family is all hearing. We have chosen to raise Cora with sign language and not go for an implant - this is simply for context, I am NOT seeking judgement on this!

Before Walter and I got married, my parents began to take classes to learn ASL, as did my brother and his family. My sister, Emily, took them for a bit but ended up not continuing due to “lack of interest.” She and her husband have not taken any lessons, nor have their 3 children. Walter tried introducing their daughter to baby sign when she and Cora were both very young but my brother in law asked him to stop, as he didn’t want to “confuse her.” Cora and her cousins play as best they can with the language barrier but it’s extremely frustrating for her to feel like she isn’t being understood. When my brother’s children (who visit only a few times a year) visit, they interpret for her, or Walter and I have to constantly be looking over their shoulders to help resolve their miscommunications, which is too helicopter parent for me.

When we learned Cora was deaf, Emily pestered me about getting her an implant and continues to send me shame-y Facebook posts about the benefits of the implant and those videos of babies hearing for the first time. She constantly says it’s “better than having to learn two languages.” She’s been very pushy about it, to the point she and Walter got in a heated argument over it. Since then, she has not pestered him about it, only me.

My last straw was this past weekend. Emily was with all her kids, teaching them a game. I noticed that Cora wasn’t joining, so I brought her over and Emily outright told me that Cora couldn’t play, because it’s a game “for people who can speak.” I was fuming and pulled her aside. I told her that my daughter can communicate, just not how Emily wants, and said that I won’t have my daughter excluded for something so petty. I told Emily that we will be cutting contact unless she starts putting in effort - learning ASL, teaching her kids, including Cora, and not being so disrespectful. We got in a spat about it, so my family left. Emily has not had contact since. My parents think I’m being unfair to Emily but agree she should make more of an effort and my brother has completely agreed with me. Walter feels I’ve been extreme but I’m honestly frustrated that I haven’t been this extreme sooner! I do worry that I’m being clouded by Mama Bear rage and this is actually super irrational, so I think I might be TA. So, who’s the rear end in a top hat?

Reddit Verdit: NTA, which I agree with.
I will not judge them for their decision, as it is indeed their decision, but they best make up their minds soon because apparently the older the kid gets the less likely it is that the implant will take, and this was posted 2 years ago. Which isn't to say that it's impossible to implant an older person, it's done all the time, but you want the brain to spend as much time as possible learning how to process the new info signal coming in.
Source: Hi, me, i was implanted at the age of 5, though I was not born deaf.

The sister needs to gently caress off. It's not her decision to make; heaven forbid she learn a new language to be able to talk to her niece.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I just realized newly single engagement ring dude is going to have to try and sell that poo poo back, and they're going to give him like $5k and make him make the rest of the payments anyways.

I got pretty lucky engagement ring shopping, knew generally what my fiancé wanted, and because she didn't want a diamond center stone, I got a huge custom center stone of the gem she did want, with a couple lab grown accent diamonds, and it's all custom made, and way cooler and gets more comments then a massive blingy diamond thing, and it was all (relatively) super cheap. I had a lot of fun with the process too.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

new jewelry is for chumps

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Foo Diddley posted:

Moan even louder in response

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I thought we didn't post child abuse stories?

That's 100% take kids away from parents territory.

edit: keeping the child intentionally disabled, because 'deaf culture', not the sister.
Sisters rear end in a top hat too.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 13, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Issaries posted:

What?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Issaries posted:

edit: keeping the child intentionally disabled, because 'deaf culture', not the sister.

Well that's certainly a take.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to wear an outfit at a fashion show?

I don't know about fashion at all, but as a model isn't it your base job to wear what the designer picks?

Yes it is, but could have rejected it at the beginning without too much drama if he had put it respectfully in terms of not being able to give the outfit the proper showing. It is a creative industry and the designers recognize that sometimes a person just isn't meshing with a particular design. His story about the designer being apologetic at first backs that up.

He might even have been OK if he had gone to the rehearsal night. Doing what he did though... dude probably just got his rear end blacklisted.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Its "how dare you tell me what I can or cannot post", rebelling against the slightest touch of moderation telling them to not be dicks to other people.

Yeah that's it, thanks for chiming in and not reading any of the previous discussion :rolleyes:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

EDIT: I apologize for initially responding to this subject hostilely.

I was a bit hostile too, plus you only show as a plat user to me so I just thought you were a random dude backseating and threatening me.

I discovered my [36M] partner [33F] of three years has recently updated her online dating profile and I am concerned

quote:

I have been with my partner for nearly three years now. We live together and our relationship is good.

We originally met through a dating app called Coffee Meets Bagel. Naturally I stopped using it once we started a relationship. But with our third anniversary coming up, I wanted to remind myself the exact date we first matched. I reinstalled the app to find our first conversation to check the date.

In doing so, I noticed her profile had changed. She had 8 photos when we matched, she now has just one photo (which is one of the original 8, not a new one). She used to have a long bio - this has now been deleted and just says "scuba diving" under interests. She only took up scuba diving in the last year, after we had moved in together.

This suggests she must have updated the profile relatively recently, which worries me. I am uncomfortable she appears to be using the app, and dating other men would of course be a deal breaker.

Before this, I had no cause for concern in our relationship. She is kind, caring, and is loving and attentive towards me. She often speaks about our long term plans and has never indicated she is unhappy in the relationship or wants a change. I have previously had no indication that she is cheating or would cheat.

Naturally I am going to confront her once I have got my head together but I am wondering if anyone has useful advice for me going into this? I would prefer to resolve this rather than end what has otherwise been a strong relationship.

TL;DR Girlfriend has updated her online dating profile since we moved in together

It's incredible how many of these posts could be avoided by communicating, fortunately the top post does have some decent advice about not being accusatory off the bat

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Issaries posted:

"if you can't speak english you're disabled" just ain't hittin for me

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah if he'd just said no at the beginning everyone would've been cool with it, the way he did it absolutely hosed them where they had to scramble last minute, he's probably never getting called back by those organizers/designers again

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Well that's certainly a take.

"Ensuring that your child will forever be deprived of one of the basic senses of humanity, permanently locking them out of a huge part of the human experience and guaranteeing massive difficulties in education, employment, and everyday life is child abuse" is not that uncommon a take. That kind of implant has to be provided as a child to have any real chance of working.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That ain't a use, certainly not take kids away territory.

But I will judge them and say it's a stupid decision. Our kid could have all five senses, but culturally we are more comfortable with four. Ok.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Issaries posted:

No. Implants aren't a perfect solution and they don't 'fix' deafness, for some people they don't work very well and they can even cause discomfort or pain. The problem is, as Malachite Dragon pointed out, you really need to implant young to have the best chance of working, younger than people can give their own opinion and consent on, and it's not like you can tell beforehand if it's going to cause pain or discomfort. I believe they can also work better for people who weren't born deaf, since the brain already has some association it can build off of?

So the debate really comes down to, okay, do we really need medical intervention to give our kids what's going to be a shittier version of a sense they weren't born with in the first place that might even cause them discomfort, or do we just support them fully without that and provide linguistic support for the fact they're not going to speaking a verbal language? This is further complicated by the fact that a lot of people like OP's sister think of implants as a 'fix' that replaces having to put in any effort to support her niece with her disability, when someone deaf with an implant is still going to be deaf, they're still going to be disabled, they're not going to be hearing in the same way someone that's not hard of hearing is and they're still going to need support and accommodation.

Source, am hearing but have been in circles to hear about this debate a lot, including from people who were given implants as a child and ended up in discomfort over them. The reality is that it's a complicated situation and someone choosing to implant their child or not implant their child isn't inherently abusive or not, you look at what other support they're giving.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Gnoman posted:

"Ensuring that your child will forever be deprived of one of the basic senses of humanity, permanently locking them out of a huge part of the human experience and guaranteeing massive difficulties in education, employment, and everyday life is child abuse" is not that uncommon a take. That kind of implant has to be provided as a child to have any real chance of working.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That ain't a use, certainly not take kids away territory.

But I will judge them and say it's a stupid decision. Our kid could have all five senses, but culturally we are more comfortable with four. Ok.
Cochlear implants don't actually fully restore hearing in the way you're thinking. It's not a choice between 5 senses and 4, but between having a different sense that may or may not work in a way that's pleasant to your child or accepting where you're at and working to support from there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

I believe they can also work better for people who weren't born deaf, since the brain already has some association it can build off of?
This is an important part. These implants work best for people who have some partial hearing or weren't born deaf. For someone who was born stone deaf they might not work at all. Also sister is being intentionally obtuse about the whole "Kids can't learn more than one language" thing.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
being disabled means abled folks get to weigh in on what implants you put in your body, naturally

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Kurieg posted:

This is an important part. These implants work best for people who have some partial hearing or weren't born deaf. For someone who was born stone deaf they might not work at all. Also sister is being intentionally obtuse about the whole "Kids can't learn more than one language" thing.
Yeah, also 'this game is for kids who can speak' is such a loving mask off moment.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Thank you all for the forums dreams posts today. I'm stuck in jury duty and bored to tears, and that gave me something to do.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

StrangersInTheNight posted:

being disabled means abled folks get to weigh in on what implants you put in your body, naturally

You as a adult can make decisions for yourself. a literal baby can't do that.
Law and society should protect children from their parents harmful decisions too.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
abled people, you COULD choose to find a dr frankenstein style scientist willing to give you 4 legs, but NO, you're just ok with two? seems LAZY to me.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Gnoman posted:

That kind of implant has to be provided as a child to have any real chance of working.

Apparently if you're not exposed to spoken language as a young child, your brain just completely loses the ability to learn or process it at all, that includes people with normal hearing.

I'm sure as poo poo not going to weigh in on the cochlear implant thing, because a lot of deaf people have very, very strong opinions on it, that are formed by their actual experiences, and there is literally no possible way for me to fully understand it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Issaries posted:

Law and society should protect children from their parents harmful decisions too.
Cool, are you going to address any of my other points or?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Issaries posted:

i'm pretty sure mandating implants and head surgery for disabled people, which could have greater complications than you're aware of, would be the harmful decision

there's no perfect solution in this instance

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Plus fully deaf people aren't living 4/5th of a life just because they only experience 4 out of 5 major senses. I'm not arguing that hearing doesn't have great practical and recreational uses, and I'm not going to argue that it doesn't create a language barrier a lot of people are unwilling to cross, but as a hearing person I have enough empathy to understand someone born deaf is not going to think of that the same way I do or necessarily feel like they're experiencing a loss, and a lot of the social isolation can be helped with more understanding.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Other posts by OP re: her deaf daughter:

quote:

Deafness is not evil, neither is being unable to walk, and I resent the implication that it is. It’s simply a part of who she is. Her father, her aunts, her grandparents are all deaf without CIs and have lived extremely rich and fulfilling lives because deaf culture is AMAZING!! I would NEVER deny my daughter the opportunity to connect with a part of her identity. If her father were German, I wouldn’t tell her she’s not allowed to connect with the German community. That’s not fair to her. Same with the deaf community, it’s part of who she is.

We have spoken to Cora about CIs and she does not want one right now. If she changes her mind, the option is available her entire life. I’m not going to force her to alter her body, nor am I going to shut a door for her in terms of connecting with culture and heritage.

This is my daughter and my life. I ask that you respect that.
Kid said she didn't want one :shrug: That was two years ago- maybe she changed her mind since then. If there was an update by OP, I couldn't find it.
For the record, I was also asked if I wanted one, so they do consistently get the consent of the kid if they're old enough to answer questions.

Reddit classy as always:

quote:

My reproductive choices are something I SUPER did not ask for input on, but thank you for your eugenicist perspective anyways.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 13, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

PetraCore posted:

Cool, are you going to address any of my other points or?

looks like they fell on deaf ears

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my dad and his new wife "why is this my problem?" when they were explaining something about my dad's new stepdaughter to me?

quote:

They told me it should be obvious why I was being told, because they wanted me to make an effort to be her older brother and not just a stepbrother she lived with for two years and then turned his back on her once he was out of the house

I love the ones where they're so close to getting it and can see the entire shape of the problem and then just decide that it won't be a problem if they simply ignore it and plow ahead full bore.

Noir89 posted:

There's nothing stopping people from posting highlights if the story has a happy ending, people post those ITT all the time without complaint.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

PetraCore posted:

Cochlear implants don't actually fully restore hearing in the way you're thinking. It's not a choice between 5 senses and 4, but between having a different sense that may or may not work in a way that's pleasant to your child or accepting where you're at and working to support from there.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to take a side here (though my own relatively mild hearing loss is a severe enough problem that I have difficulty imagining not pushing to fight it). Just pointing out that the pushback isn't some insane thing from nowhere.

Then again, I knew somebody who tried to get the hospital to cut her daughter's leg off to ensure the kid had the same experiences mommy had. That colors my view on things like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

People underestimate how useful it can be to be deaf, too. When the world is being too much of a gently caress, i can just turn off or take off my cochlear implant, close my eyes, and ignore the poo poo out of the outside world until I've gotten a handle on my thoughts. It does wonders for my mental health, I really wish I could share it with the people I care about from time to time. Loud assholes working on their shitboxes while turning the volume to max and pretending they're not violating local noise ordinances? I sleep right through them. It has its uses!

E:

Gnoman posted:

Then again, I knew somebody who tried to get the hospital to cut her daughter's leg off to ensure the kid had the same experiences mommy had. That colors my view on things like this.
:stare: That parent would be batshit insane no matter what the disability at hand was.