Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

Chapters 8 and 9 of "Armies of Sand" talk about the armies of South Vietnam (the ARVN) and of the Argentine Armed Forces, both during their respective conflicts in 1970 - the post-LBJ phase of the Vietnam War leading up to the Fall of Saigon in 1975, and the Falklands War.

The author brings them up by way of comparison to the armies of the Middle East, as the ARVN and the Argentines had some of the most politicized in the world, at the time. I'm going to be skipping over posting direct excerpts of these sections, as they're a little far afield from the topic at-hand.

___

The conclusion from Chapter 8, about South Vietnam, is that this was an army with otherwise respectable and competent junior/tactical leadership, that was repeatedly let down by the government of Nguyen Van Thieu appointing senior strategic leadership that was more concerned with loyalty and palace-guard-ism than anything else (which itself was a lesson Thieu inherited from his predecessor, Ngo Dinh Diem).

The ARVN performed disastrously in Lam Son 719, and then the level of politicization did not abate after that fiasco, such that when the People's Army of Vietnam (PAVN) launched their 1973 Easter Offensive, they were only halted by a level of American aerial bombardment never before seen in history, nor seen since. Not even the Iraqis during Desert Storm were hit as hard as the North Vietnamese troops.

Thieu actually tried to reverse-course on politicization, but by the time 1975 rolled around, the US was no longer providing the kind of air support they used to, and Theiu still meddled in the conduct of the defense of South Vietnam, to the extent that a sudden unplanned retreat from every point outside of Saigon and the Mekong Delta was the thing that caused the rapid collapse of the ARVN and the ultimate fall of South Vietnam as a state.

QED, politicization can be a problem with militaries, yet a stronger case for its manifestation can be made with the Republic of Vietnam, than with Arab nations.

The RVNAF literally had a squadron of tanks, based in Saigon, for the exclusive purpose of carrying out (or resisting, depending on who paid off the Air Force) coups. It is a bit of an understatement to say that it was politicized.

The best trained and equipped forces of each branch - the Army's Airborne Division and the Navy's Marine Division were never deployed more than marching distance away from Saigon, again, so they could participate in the various political struggles there, rather than fight the NVA or VC. They were issued M16s, M113s and the like years before the units actually contesting control of the Vietnamese countryside with the guerillas.

The shockingly good performance by the ARVN in 1972 during the Easter Offensive in places like An Loc could possibly be explained by the NVA unexpectedly getting far enough south to fight the units of the Vietnamese Military that were lavishly trained and equipped for palace intrigues.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 14:26 on Nov 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

If Gantz, who until a few weeks ago was leading the opposition, is against it, then amongst whom was the plot "brewing"?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

maybe the more insane fascists that want to start a war with lebanon immediately

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

The RVNAF literally had a squadron of tanks, based in Saigon, for the exclusive purpose of carrying out (or resisting, depending on who paid off the Air Force) coups. It is a bit of an understatement to say that it was politicized.

Tankie dream.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Benny, Bibi, wtf these clownshoes names on Israeli politicians

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Tankie dream.

Honestly, if you think about the ANA "commandos" who exclusively hung around the nice hotels in Kabul, or the Vietnamese Airforce tank guys who reportedly just hung out around the airport bars in Saigon, given the civil wars tearing their counties apart, that's about as good a gig as you can ask for.

Thoughts and prayers for the brave members of the Knesset Guard

The askew cap badge, fingerprints on the visor, unstarched, unstayed shirt and lowriding pants on this guardsman is going to drive me crazy. DTI.

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023
He looks like poo poo bro

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Benny, Bibi, wtf these clownshoes names on Israeli politicians

Please, it's Pipi.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
gbs

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Frosted Flake posted:

Honestly, if you think about the ANA "commandos" who exclusively hung around the nice hotels in Kabul, or the Vietnamese Airforce tank guys who reportedly just hung out around the airport bars in Saigon, given the civil wars tearing their counties apart, that's about as good a gig as you can ask for.

Thoughts and prayers for the brave members of the Knesset Guard

The askew cap badge, fingerprints on the visor, unstarched, unstayed shirt and lowriding pants on this guardsman is going to drive me crazy. DTI.

I bet his shoes are scuffed and scratched

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Austin is famously bad at coming out for protests (San Antonio and Houston get larger turnouts, generally, and Roe V Wade protests only broke the 2,000 mark maybe twice) but there were well over 10,000 in the streets today.

Ok maybe I’m
Not seeing the clarity here. Can someone offer some insight?

1: From the arabs I know, and I don’t know why it’s this way (and I don’t agree with it), but they look down on Palestinians. Nothing more than a bunch of rampant thugs.
Saudi obviously sees everyone and their grandma as subhumans, but Palestinians in particular because they just see them as “the help” in their country/ migrant workers in the UAE laboring under the Kafala system. Helping Palestine doesn’t benefit them at all. And while they can afford to take in refugees. They ain’t about that life.

Jordan same thing. The millions of refugees that came allegedly wreaked havoc.
When I speak to Jordanian Arabs they talk about a lot of mumbo jumbo regarding ‘Black September.” And the last time Jordan took in Palestinians, they attempted a coup and assassinated the president. And they fear they might start another attempted revolution. So they are like F that nonsense.

Egypt signed a deal with Israel in 1978 to get rid of Gaza, mainly because back then it had become a stronghold of the Muslim Brotherhood (which in Gaza gradually became Hamas in 1987). Obviously the Egyptian military is not too keen on letting them have any political power. And as we know, the 2013 coup happened because they didn’t want Morsi and the Brotherhood to begin with. And so, since our boy Sisi is a bonafide shitshow, he’s gonna coast and ride this one out because he rather have Israel than a semblance of solidarity with what he considers “extremists.”

Lebanon and Syria have gone through decades of civil war and sectarian divisions, as well as war with Israel in 1982 and 2006. Both are simply too weak to take any action. With the exception of Hezzbollah going balls to wall.

Lastly, a military buddy of mine said, location is trash. Gaza is located in enclave, so other countries just dont have proper ability to help. And if they do it makes logistics all the more complicated. If Türkiye or Iran were to get involved, they’d have to bark up a few trees (Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, and maybe even Iraq) to get boots on the ground In Palestine. I don’t know if I believe this reasoning, but Palestine is cornered in a sense geographically.

But then, if you think about it, you can’t call them all “Unified Muslim” countries. Because unfortunately Shias and Sunnis have beef.
Turkey, a predominantly Sunni country (like Saudi) won’t get much loyalty from Shia dominant countries (Iraq & Syria).

Also since Iran is playing the role of “big daddy” to Hamas, Saudi doesn’t want to tag team with Shia led Iranians.
I guess the point here is there’s a lot of contending factors.

And so that’s why we’re here. That’s why we’ve been here for 75 years.
The most well get out of these Arab countries is talk. “Israeli condemnations” because it's popular.
They are even sending some aid to show as it they are doing something to help.

My personal opinion is I hope they all go F themselves, and help Palestine.

Lastly, why isn’t anyone talking about Macron. What in the literal hell kind of 180 was that? Listen, I know he was probably getting a semi seeing geriatric Palestinian women, but that can’t be the reason why he flipped. Either he’s rear end to the grass petrified there will be civil unrest and terror attacks from radicals living within his country orrrrrr maybe there’s bigger things at play. Not to get all conspiracy theorist-ist but while Netanyahu is the new and improved Hitler 2.0…he isn’t an idiot. The monster does have a strategy here. Him going on air and telling every other puppet country to shut the gently caress up, seems like there might be a waft of change in the air.
Clearly something or someone got to ol’ prissy boy Macron, so I wouldn’t put it past Hitty 2.0 to shut that poo poo down, Pat!
Not to mention Blinken peddling all over the ME to insure everyone is in line. Even after the OIC summit Friday, he immediately called Qatar to make sure every bozo Arab country was still loyal.

And super duper last thing, why this everlasting love and support from the US for Shitsreal if it isn’t about oil or monetary gain? I’ve seen it before, “if Israel didn’t exist we’d have to create one” but why? Forgive my naivety here, but is it solely to have a white guy foothold there, someone who aligns with US’s democratic beliefs in the middle of crazy Arabs/ Muslims?

Also since we were on the topic of Texas Protest. This image breathed life back into my soulless body
https://x.com/cirnosad/status/1723854348885618840?s=46

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

All can be accurately blamed on the Great Satan

mags
May 30, 2008

Honky Mao posted:

All can be accurately blamed on the Great Satan

more are saying this

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

we have Hitler 2 so it makes sense we’d also have Ernst Rohm 2

mags
May 30, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

we have Hitler 2 so it makes sense we’d also have Ernst Rohm 2

to be Rohm he has to get long knifed instead this dude is just gonna get gibbed in a burning tank by a teenager with an improvised explosive

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Rest in peace to the booby trap

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

sowing /reaping

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

mags posted:

I bet his shoes are scuffed and scratched

tennis shoes

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lmao the few pages dedicated to the "diplomatic" option are just "sanction Iran more" followed by "Iran isn't vulnerable to American sanctions anymore after decades of sanctions, maybe convince China to sanction them?".

America is truly incapable of any sort of diplomacy with a peer state.

Where's the paper on America policy suggestions for Palestine. Is it all "do more genocide"?

mags
May 30, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

tennis shoes

new balances prob

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

boomers and genx once again shown to be the scum of the earth

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

HallelujahLee posted:

israel apparently banned al-mayadeen as well as banning al-jazeera last week
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/13/israel-moves-to-shutter-al-mayadeen-takes-no-action-on-al-jazeera
al jazeera hasn't been banned (yet)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

close enough they're bombing them anyway

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Wonder what changed in 2018 that caused such a consistent drop

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/thehill/status/1724076168150675483?s=20

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol that article photo. the blank state is perfect

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/europe/1699528989-berlin-criminalizes-slogan-from-the-river-to-the-sea-palestine-will-be-free

Berlin criminalizes the known terrorist phrase "from the r**** to the s**"

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they're showing him the pizza guys delivery schedule

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
someone found all the missing israeli tanks

https://x.com/khaledsafi/status/1724072785276727780?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

(all of them are destroyed)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also the israeli presidents son may have been killed in Gaza

https://twitter.com/rassdnewsn/status/1724065546965078512?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

https://x.com/khaledsafi/status/1724072785276727780?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

guess the "tank and sniper only" approach has some kinks to work out

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Tanks, but no tanks.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

rip bozos

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

also northern Gaza is still populated, hundreds of thousands peoples lives are still in danger

https://x.com/lameessml/status/1723727410711908473?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the (powerless) jordanian parliament is looking to review and cancel all agreements with isrsel

https://twitter.com/alarabytv/status/1724073445154042191?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

hamas making a traffic jam outta all these dumbass nazi tanks

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So excited for WWIII because the US just can’t help getting it’s dick hard over getting to do a genocide

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

kill israel
kill all zionists

see you in a month

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pig fucker mods

Kill Israel
Kill all Zionists

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

israeli white crackhead in Dahab egypt tries to threaten Egyptian girls and says this land is his land

https://x.com/rassdnewsn/status/1723989253988688180?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk