Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The saucer has no warp but don’t think about shuttles too much (the shows certainly don’t)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Smaller slower shuttles run their warp off fusion, the bigger faster ones have warp cores.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shuttles proceed at impulse speed to places that they shouldn't really be able to reach at impulse speed. Everything in Star Trek moves at the speed of plot.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
warp cores must scale down pretty far because shuttles and other tiny ships warp around all the time.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I always assumed the shuttles’ warp cores were very compact and hidden behind a panel, because there’s no expectation that you’ll need to monitor and adjust it during regular flight.

Compare the engine room of a ship to the engine on a car, for example.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The warp core isn't the thing that makes warp happen, it's just a really big, really powerful generator to fuel the warp coils.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I tired to look up the size of a warp core on ships, and unsurprisingly the sizes are just all over the place. Newer shows tend to have them massive, and the older the show the smaller the warp core. But if you look at the tng warp core compared to the size of the ship -and also it would be supplying power to a how bunch more systems that a shuttle wouldn't have- than yeah the warp core could be pretty tiny.

Edit:

Dabir posted:

The warp core isn't the thing that makes warp happen, it's just a really big, really powerful generator to fuel the warp coils.

I assume the warp coils are either in the floor or the ceiling of the ship maybe going end to end on each side.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're in the nacelles surely. Even the little pods have those

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

naem posted:

Laura Linney’s star wars warp kamikaze somehow blew up an entire enemy fleet which make me think, why not just have warp engine missiles if they are that effective

warp accelerate a bunch of masses of space junk in a spread like a shotgun

I mean the answer is obviously "then nobody gets to inhabit the universe because everyone gets taken out by hyperspace debris"

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

galagazombie posted:

Saucer separation always bothered me be because it puts the vast majority of the weapons on the part that’s not supposed to fight and the escape engines on the stay and fight part. The schmucks on the Battle Bridge have a grand total of one torpedo launcher to use while the stranded escape craft full of civilians is like 30% pure phaser bank by surface area. Of course the sfx crew would just invent new places for lasers and torpedos to come out all the time. I think the bussard collectors opened fire once. I suppose it was easy to do that since the D didn’t really have a visible torpedo launcher like the TOS movie ships did. We only “know” the D’s main launcher was in the neck because that’s where they drew the torpedo coming from, not because of anything visible on the model like the Connie Refit. So when they wanted a torpedo to launch from somewhere else they just did. The Voyager had those two little boops on either side of the deflector as launchers which was at least consistent if not cool looking like the Reliants giant launcher.

:wrong:

The torpedo launch tube is right there

The aft launcher (the poop chute, really) is less visible

And the majority of the phaser banks are on the engine section:

e: god dammit, haha nice one Mike

also those pictures are nicer tbh

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 13, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I think a single phase bank can really only output one beam?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Noncorrect!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d734afLFPds

You don't even need to watch this one, it's in the thumbnail

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

alexandriao posted:

I mean the answer is obviously "then nobody gets to inhabit the universe because everyone gets taken out by hyperspace debris"

That's the plot hook to a bunch of High Republic stories, there was an incident called the Great Hyperspace Disaster where some shenanigans occurred and two ships managed to disintegrate in hyperspace in a really nasty manner and then bits of debris kept falling back into realspace in a catastrophic way across a whole part of the galaxy and causing a bunch of extinction level events on planets.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 13, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

I tired to look up the size of a warp core on ships, and unsurprisingly the sizes are just all over the place. Newer shows tend to have them massive, and the older the show the smaller the warp core. But if you look at the tng warp core compared to the size of the ship -and also it would be supplying power to a how bunch more systems that a shuttle wouldn't have- than yeah the warp core could be pretty tiny.

Even though they're pretty small compared to the overall volume they're still pretty drat big. The Enterprise-D's core is 12 stories high. A warp core is basically two particle accelerator tubes pointing to the reactor chamber in the middle. The bit that goes vwom that we see in engineering on shows is only the reaction chamber in the middle. We only see the whole thing when they eject the core, on Voyager or Insurrection or Lower Decks.

They're not meant to be user-servicable on smaller ships. Runabout ones run horizontally along the roof of the runabout

A Type 7 shuttle, the big TNG ones, have a small antimatter warp core. A type 6 shuttle, more compact, have a fusion core.

dr_rat posted:

I assume the warp coils are either in the floor or the ceiling of the ship maybe going end to end on each side.

Warp coils are in the nacelles, that's what nacelles are for.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 13, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Even though they're pretty small compared to the overall volume they're still pretty drat big. The Enterprise-D's core is 12 stories high. A warp core is basically two particle accelerator tubes pointing to the reactor chamber in the middle. The bit that goes vwom that we see in engineering on shows is only the reaction chamber in the middle. We only see the whole thing when they eject the core, on Voyager or Insurrection or Lower Decks.

They're not meant to be user-servicable on smaller ships. Runabout ones run horizontally along the roof of the runabout

A Type 7 shuttle, the big TNG ones, have a small antimatter warp core. A type 6 shuttle, more compact, have a fusion core.

The technical manual has the shuttlepods being sublight, and the nacelles do have warp coils but it's part of the impulse drive. They can only generate up to 750 millicochranes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can't fool me, that's the Vindicator from Star Control 2

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

I swear they had shuttles with no visible nacelles?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I swear they had shuttles with no visible nacelles?

There is a work sled type shuttle with waldoes and a big glass pod lookin thing that has no nacelles but I don't think they've ever been on screen.

Even the sublight shuttles have nacelles.

They're just impulse engine nacelles.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

CainFortea posted:

There is a work sled type shuttle with waldoes and a big glass pod lookin thing that has no nacelles but I don't think they've ever been on screen.

Even the sublight shuttles have nacelles.

They're just impulse engine nacelles.

Thing is shaped like an exocomp.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

Thing is shaped like an exocomp.

This is what peak space performance looks like.

fake edit:
Not actually true tho. Exocomps are octagonal cross section. Shuttle pods are hexagonal in cross section.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know, I'm really easy to get along with - most of the time, but I don't like bullies, I don't like threats, and I don't like you.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

CainFortea posted:

This is what peak space performance looks like.

fake edit:
Not actually true tho. Exocomps are octagonal cross section. Shuttle pods are hexagonal in cross section.

Yes, I mean proportionally, it's short, stumpy, has little feetsies. May or may not be sentient.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was designed to be cheap and easy for the set department to build first, and look like a shuttle second

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'd like to think the base design of the Exocomps are really simple and plain, and the people who make them just like to add all these unnecessary bits and pieces just cos they want them to look nice.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I'd like to think the base design of the Exocomps are really simple and plain, and the people who make them just like to add all these unnecessary bits and pieces just cos they want them to look nice.

Other way around, I'd like to think the greebles on the exocomps were the first attempt at self expression and communication by them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gonna tell my kids these are the ovaries

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

CainFortea posted:

Other way around, I'd like to think the greebles on the exocomps were the first attempt at self expression and communication by them.

It's not a phase, mom.
Flaps Greebles

The General
Mar 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It was designed to be cheap and easy for the set department to build first, and look like a shuttle second

Fairly sure it was designed to look like an animes, and any shuttle connection is coincidental.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, it's an exploration vessel that often serves as a military vessel and regularly gets into other kinds of incredible danger too. so, perfectly safe for families!

"How dare you come here and have us run drills as training for just in case our ship full of families gets into a fight. How DARE you try and ensure that we know how to keep our ship in one piece and the children alive on this space ship that might be attacked at any moment. This heavily armed battleship isnt a military vessel, and making sure we know how to protect our loved ones is a slippery slope. You are a monster!"

- William Riker, when Starfleet sends a training guy to run a quick training exercise with the crew of the flagship

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Grey Cat posted:

It's not a phase, mom.
Flaps Greebles

Flaps Greebles was the first exocomp jazz singer.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, it's an exploration vessel that often serves as a military vessel and regularly gets into other kinds of incredible danger too. so, perfectly safe for families!

and the families have a choice of either 1) following their loved one and thus having pretty much no choice over where they live or the greater details of their life or 2) possibly never seeing them again

sounds like the military family experience to me, lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

sounds like the military family experience to me, lol

Nah, domestic violence is almost unheard of for one. Also I don't think I've ever heard of a stripper marrying an ensign so they can move on to the flagship.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

First of May posted:

Flaps Greebles was the first exocomp jazz singer.

Damnit now I have to waste my precious time doing a bad job of making an image of an ExoComp with a replicated trumpet

CainFortea posted:

Nah, domestic violence is almost unheard of for one. Also I don't think I've ever heard of a stripper marrying an ensign so they can move on to the flagship.

Or ensigns buying shuttlecraft with terrible financing deals

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The General posted:

Fairly sure it was designed to look like an animes, and any shuttle connection is coincidental.

I mean the shuttle.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Damnit now I have to waste my precious time doing a bad job of making an image of an ExoComp with a replicated trumpet

*Rolls Coal in my new shuttlecraft on The Strip

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

CainFortea posted:

Also I don't think I've ever heard of a stripper marrying an ensign so they can move on to the flagship.

YET

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Didn't Barkley date a Dabo girl? I'd say close enough.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Jake dated a Dabo girl who since I cant remember those episodes well, I assume just wanted to hang out with the emissary

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I've got a Type 15 shuttle here Ensign Tallshanks with your name on it. This thing has doubled it's value in aftermarket modifications, but I like you. So i'm only going to charge you 50% over MSRP! And i've got a special running this week for new ensigns who just get their ship posting, 23.99% APR if you finance today!

Can you really afford not to get this? Don't forget rule of acquisition 120. "The quality of risan honey you harvest is directly proportional to the quality of your ride". Nilragg will take good care of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gutcruncher posted:

"How dare you come here and have us run drills as training for just in case our ship full of families gets into a fight. How DARE you try and ensure that we know how to keep our ship in one piece and the children alive on this space ship that might be attacked at any moment. This heavily armed battleship isnt a military vessel, and making sure we know how to protect our loved ones is a slippery slope. You are a monster!"

- William Riker, when Starfleet sends a training guy to run a quick training exercise with the crew of the flagship

I always liked how in the episode Conundrum when they all lose their memories, they take one look at the ship's specifications and instantly conclude that it's a battleship.