Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

PhotoSync is great on iOS. It handles geofencing/scheduling and supports a lot of backup destinations. I’ve had it set to use SMB to my Synology when on the house network @1am each night for 5+ years at this point, and haven’t had any problems with photos or videos being lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Okay, the Memories app does allow you to integrate local directories into the gallery before they've been uploaded to your Nextcloud instance. I suppose that's a use case for the app over the PWA.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And all the rest of the expected phone integration features like sharing to MMS contacts and other apps.

I get it if you don't use that, but it's table stakes for most people.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

PhotoSync is great on iOS. It handles geofencing/scheduling and supports a lot of backup destinations. I’ve had it set to use SMB to my Synology when on the house network @1am each night for 5+ years at this point, and haven’t had any problems with photos or videos being lost.

Yeah, I think there are two basic camps here, and neither one is really competing with the other.

PhotoSync + SMB/WebDAV/FTP/Whatever: This will get you photo/video backup. That's all it does. If you want a gallery on top of that, you're free to implement one, but if, in your mind, the best solution is "just copy the damned files over and I'll handle the rest", this is what you want. It requires some in-depth understanding of things to set up, both on the server side and the client side: it is not a turnkey solution you can send to your aunt along with a URL to your server. 20 years ago, this setup worked (minus the mobile apps). 20 years from now, this setup will look almost exactly the same.

NextCloud / Immich: This is a lot closer to a turnkey solution. If your goal here is "I need something as close as possible to Google Photos, I don't care what happens on the back-end", this is for you. This lets you do sharing, accounts, provides a built-in web interface, a phone app that really just needs a URL and password to set up, and all the trimmings. 20 years from now, nothing like this existed. 20 years from now, this setup will be a security and usability nightmare. But today, your uncle will (probably) be able to use this with no assistance from you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does immich handle Live Photos well?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

tuyop posted:

Is that the Apple branding on motion JPEGs?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yep!

cruft posted:

Is that the Apple branding on motion JPEGs?

HEIC file plus a 3 second audio/video component, typically a MOV file in the HEVC format.

Fun fact: I lost hundreds of travel Live Photos back when they launched on the iPhone 6S and Google Photos didn't support them. Always worth pointing out that Google Photos has known limitations when exporting your photos, including stripping EXIF data and not allowing users to download at full resolution.

Never again, Google, never again.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 31, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Memories on Nextcloud seems to support motion JPEGs

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Fun fact: I lost hundreds of travel Live Photos back when they launched on the iPhone 6S and Google Photos didn't support them. Always worth pointing out that Google Photos has known limitations when exporting your photos, including stripping EXIF data and not allowing users to download at full resolution.

Quoting because this bears repeating.

You can get your photos out with full everything, but you have to use Google Takeout, and that is a royal pain. Rclone won't get them at the resolution they're stored at.

Let me repeat: Rclone can't download Google Photos images the way they're stored.

If you were thinking "I'll pull everything off Google Photos before it gets lovely", well, it's too late. The cloudpocalypse has already begun.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Corb3t posted:

Yep!

HEIC file plus a 3 second audio/video component, typically a MOV file in the HEVC format.

Never again, Google, never again.

Ok yeah I’ll have to dedicate some serious time soon to figuring out a totally reliable way to roll some of my own cloud poo poo. I use iCloud mostly for photo backup but it adds up and I’m not loving the last price increase. Like for $400 a year we’re into substantial hardware upgrade territory, you know?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My wife has been raving about Immich, its very nice at this point and if you haven't tried it, or recently, give it a look.

Nextcloud is terrible tbh and you should only use it as a last resort

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

My wife has been raving about Immich, its very nice at this point and if you haven't tried it, or recently, give it a look.

Nextcloud is terrible tbh and you should only use it as a last resort

Immich seems cool, I'm just still not prepared to swallow 8 new services so I can run one thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, I've been looking at it and Immich is probably what my wife and I want to replace Google Photos, but it also looks like a bit of a pain in the rear end to host.

It looks like someone has posted a nixos configuration for it so I'm probably going to use that as a starting point.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

cruft posted:

Immich seems cool, I'm just still not prepared to swallow 8 new services so I can run one thing.

Yea... they provide a compose file that isnt insane like most oss projects so i just threw it under a service account and run it under systemd with podman-compose, works well.

I normally ignore install instructions and roll my own container specs, amd if you tried to do that with immich yea it would be a chore. Their compose is well made, unusually, so it was way easier to setup than most by just using the provided defaults.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 1, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

Yea... they provide a compose file that isnt insane like most oss projects so i just threw it under a service account and run it under systemd with podman-compose, works well.

I normally ignore install instructions and roll my own container specs, amd if you tried to do that with immich yea it would be a chore. Their compose is well made, unusually, so it was way easier to setup than most by just using the provided defaults.

I'm already using nixos's container management features, so I'd rather translate it to that than learn yet another mechanism.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Thanks for the information, my wife is out of town till tonight but it looks like Immich may be the way to go. I'll have to show her some setups and see which one she likes the best.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
After the conversation about it, I decided to go ahead and set up Immich myself. I'm running it in Docker on a Celeron 5100, 16GB RAM. With their docker-compose, setting up was no effort at all.

It's got a lot more features and is a lot more professional than I was expecting. Face detection works; I can search for images by content; their iPhone app works great, etc.

Only thing I would warn about is that it's pretty resource intensive. All the machine learning stuff takes several gigabytes of memory and right now it's not good about releasing that memory when it's not processing photos. The developers are working on it, though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Does it have a working (fully functional) web app yet? Or an android client? Those were the deal killers for me the last time I looked at it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Motronic posted:

Does it have a working (fully functional) web app yet? Or an android client? Those were the deal killers for me the last time I looked at it.

Yes to both.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I’ve been trying out both photoprism and immich lately and while not fully decided I’m leaning photoprism mainly because immich is more resource hungry, has more moving parts and is slower to index. I also find it less intuitive in some ways, like when trying to rectify errors in face recognition. The wife and I share a common library so the user separation stuff is more in my way than helpful as well.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neslepaks posted:

I’ve been trying out both photoprism and immich lately and while not fully decided I’m leaning photoprism mainly because immich is more resource hungry, has more moving parts and is slower to index. I also find it less intuitive in some ways, like when trying to rectify errors in face recognition. The wife and I share a common library so the user separation stuff is more in my way than helpful as well.

I'm in a similar situation and would be similarly inclined if I hadn't already decided on WebDAV and PiGallery2. Which are crappier.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PhotoPrism does support WebDAV.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

PhotoPrism does support WebDAV.

Right, WebDAV is a protocol. The WebDAV-providing server I'm using is called dufs.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Neslepaks posted:

The wife and I share a common library so the user separation stuff is more in my way than helpful as well.

We just share an account and it works as you'd expect across multiple devices.

I haven't noticed performance but I'm also running it on my "beefy" media server so it may very well be a hog. I'll check a bit later.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Built a new NAS, running Unraid. Trying to get a handle on how I want to buildout dockers.

Can someone give me the current landscape in regards to Nginx vs Traefick? Swag vs Nginix Proxy Manger?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I can't talk about nginx or swag or any of that but I use traefik and I set up automatic let's encrypt for all host names and I haven't had any issues with it. (I point my domain to a private address so nothing on my domain is publicly accessible, I use tailscale for that)

https://major.io/p/wildcard-letsencrypt-certificates-traefik-cloudflare/

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Sub Rosa posted:

Built a new NAS, running Unraid. Trying to get a handle on how I want to buildout dockers.

Can someone give me the current landscape in regards to Nginx vs Traefick? Swag vs Nginix Proxy Manger?

i use nginx proxy manager if you want full control over what gets exposed. i have a wildcard cert that i share between two instance. one instance is all the internal services and the second instance is exposed to the interwebs.

i basically want to use domain names for services that i frequently use so i dont have to remember port numbers. its really simple to set up to be honest.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

I mean traefik is made for that...

I set up a .env and basically add a few lines to docker-compose
labels:
traefik.enable: true
traefik.http.routers.grocy.rule: "Host(`grocy.${DOMAIN}`)"

AFAIK that's all it takes for the domain to get brought in. However, I set up a auth middleware that if you're external to local network you need to login with Organizr (Have access to my plex server.) and based on your level in that you may or may not have access:
labels:
traefik.enable: true
traefik.http.routers.grocy.rule: "Host(`grocy.${DOMAIN}`)"
traefik.http.routers.grocy.tls: true
traefik.http.routers.grocy.middlewares: "secured-admin"
traefik.http.routers.grocy.priority: 99
traefik.http.routers.grocy2.rule: "Host(`grocy.${DOMAIN}`) && ${PRIVATE_IP}"
traefik.http.routers.grocy2.tls: true
traefik.http.routers.grocy2.middlewares: "secured-local"
traefik.http.routers.grocy2.priority: 100

where PRIVATE_IP is defined in the .env along with DOMAIN:
PRIVATE_IP=HeadersRegexp(`X-Real-Ip`, `(^127\.)|(^10\.)|(^172\.1[6-9]\.)|(^172\.2[0-9]\.)|(^172\.3[0-1]\.)|(^192\.168\.)`)

I just copy grocy's docker-compose to any new one and search/replace grocy with newname. There's also a secured-user defined for things I want other folks to use.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This is for NGINX Proxy Manager

Assuming you don't need any fancy host-mode networking, you can also setup docker networks between your container and reverse proxy. Then you don't need to open any ports for your services, just point your reverse proxy to the docker's dns route to the container rather than an IP. This will also prevent direct IP connections so if you want to implment SSO you can also do that.

You can also setup access lists so that your internal only services can only be accessed by a client with an IP from a local ip

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's similar to how I have everything set up - the only docker containers that actually get direct connections to the outside world are things like Plex that I don't want to proxy via nginx, and torrent clients (the actual torrent traffic) that can't proxy via nginx. Overseerr and Photoprism get proxied via nginx, everything else only has their web UIs exposed on the internal docker network that's only accessible via VPN.

Because I've never been assed to set up docker DNS (and I run multiples of the same type of container in some cases), I used to use heimdall to save links to everything. But it was getting bloated and unreliable so I switched to homepage and have been very happy with it so far.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I do the same but also have CloudFlare doing an additional layer of proxying so for those services my home IP isnt exposed directly.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

I used nginx until I learned about traefik. I used traefik until I got tired of using docker compose rules to configure my web server. Now I use Caddy.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This was the most relevant thread I could find without pestering the InfoSec thread:

I just found out BoxCryptor is getting acquired by DropBox. I really liked the former because it used existing cloud accounts (OneDrive in my case) to piggyback some zero-knowledge encrypted storage for a small yearly fee. Is there anything still on the market for that beyond uploading my own encrypted 7Zips / a portable volume of some kind?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SpiderOak One maybe? Their marketing is all about the end-to-end encryption, so give that a try.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
So is this like rclone's crypt layer except you have to pay a subscription fee for it?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Keito posted:

So is this like rclone's crypt layer except you have to pay a subscription fee for it?
They’re “free for personal use” but I’ll have to check into what if anything I was still paying.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ToxicFrog posted:

Needs a functional browser client too, and Jellyfin's music functionality is, well, I wouldn't call it "functional" for day to day use.

None of the emoji on that page render for me, which makes reading it somewhat difficult.

After some rummaging (and chatting with the gonic dev for a while), I think the solution I'm drifting towards is:
- gonic on the backend
--- needs a patch to support importing of audio files like trackers that TagLib doesn't support
--- needs a custom PATH so that when it uses `ffmpeg` to transcode things it calls a wrapper that can invoke different tools for different formats, rather than blindly calling ffmpeg with the same arguments on everything
- airsonic-refix on the frontend
--- browse-by-file support is available in a PR here
--- some other functionality (play entire high-level directory/artist/genre, album art in browse by file mode) is missing compared to the stock UI but I can do without that if needed

Probably going to do some hacking on that on the weekend and we'll see how it turns out.

How have things been going with your airsonic-refix & gonic solution? Looks like that browse-by-file support got merged, but the author ended up creating a fork xonic-ui: https://github.com/archekb/xonic-ui

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

This was the most relevant thread I could find without pestering the InfoSec thread:

I just found out BoxCryptor is getting acquired by DropBox. I really liked the former because it used existing cloud accounts (OneDrive in my case) to piggyback some zero-knowledge encrypted storage for a small yearly fee. Is there anything still on the market for that beyond uploading my own encrypted 7Zips / a portable volume of some kind?

Cryptomator might fit the bill.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

fletcher posted:

How have things been going with your airsonic-refix & gonic solution? Looks like that browse-by-file support got merged, but the author ended up creating a fork xonic-ui: https://github.com/archekb/xonic-ui

File support never got merged, the developer of it threw a shitfit and closed all of their open PRs, forked airsonic-refix to xonic-ui, completely hosed up the git history, made a few improvements (but not all of the ones they'd sent patches to airsonic-refix about), and then vanished.

I, meanwhile, haven't really had time to work on the backend improvements to gonic I need anyways. So I'm still limping along using airsonic-advanced.

Hopefully over the winter I can actually sink my teeth into this; I figure I'll prioritize the gonic changes, and once I have those working in at least proof-of-concept state, I can work on rehabilitating the archekb patches to airsonic-refix and either running a local fork of it or getting those patches upstreamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

ToxicFrog posted:

File support never got merged, the developer of it threw a shitfit and closed all of their open PRs, forked airsonic-refix to xonic-ui, completely hosed up the git history, made a few improvements (but not all of the ones they'd sent patches to airsonic-refix about), and then vanished.

I, meanwhile, haven't really had time to work on the backend improvements to gonic I need anyways. So I'm still limping along using airsonic-advanced.

Hopefully over the winter I can actually sink my teeth into this; I figure I'll prioritize the gonic changes, and once I have those working in at least proof-of-concept state, I can work on rehabilitating the archekb patches to airsonic-refix and either running a local fork of it or getting those patches upstreamed.

:lol: Oh jeez, I was wondering what was going on with that commit history when I looked at the xonic-ui fork.

I guess that original PR for files support didn't get merged, but I see it landed month: https://github.com/tamland/airsonic-refix/commit/ae7250df16145d22a8841ca3bdaa04dfea18037b