Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Duckman2008 posted:

I remember his legs and rear end.

Me too, Mark. Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chad Sexington posted:

RAS pretty hyped for *checks notes* a narrow shootout victory over Columbus

Wasn't Adam Fox going down supposed to be a harbinger of the end times a couple weeks ago?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wasn't Adam Fox going down supposed to be a harbinger of the end times a couple weeks ago?

Didn’t predict Erik Gustafsson taking his spot and scoring 6 points in the 4 games since Fox went out.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

WeaponX posted:

Didn’t predict Erik Gustafsson taking his spot and scoring 6 points in the 4 games since Fox went out.

He did a similarly good job filling in for a dead John Carlson last year. I don't know why the dude doesn't get more respect or a better contract. He's a great fill-in offensive piece.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Congratulations to the Minnesota Wild, who after giving up 5 PPG to Dallas, now sit at a 63.5% PK, the worst in NHL history with at least 10 games played.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah it looks likely Evason will be the next coach to go. I think he's a good coach but he's gone lame in Minnesota.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I think Guerin and Evason got exactly the skillsets they wanted, which caused needed areas to be ignored and slowed the team down. I think this because the Wild do this every five years when they start looking decent, since they were founded.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:cheers:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Chad Sexington posted:

He did a similarly good job filling in for a dead John Carlson last year. I don't know why the dude doesn't get more respect or a better contract. He's a great fill-in offensive piece.

Because he's a nightmare on defense

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Chad Sexington posted:

RAS pretty hyped for *checks notes* a narrow shootout victory over Columbus
The Rangers fans here were calling it a breakout game for Lafreniere so I assumed he had a 5-point night or something. Then I checked and he had 2 goals. Which is good and all but he's done that twice before.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mr. Kite posted:

The Rangers fans here were calling it a breakout game for Lafreniere so I assumed he had a 5-point night or something. Then I checked and he had 2 goals. Which is good and all but he's done that twice before.

And the shootout winner!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Focus on Jon Quick. He's your star right now. Some say he's best goalie of all time.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I mean a 13.6 shooting percentage prolly isn’t sustainable but yeah he is a career positive possession guy who is really efficient with the puck but has also been great in the defensive zone blocking and breaking up plays. Just all over the ice. Hope it lasts cause that’s a great guy to overachieve on your third pairing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mr. Kite posted:

He had a 3 point game before this one and now a 2 goal game with one of them being the game tying goal with like 20 seconds to go and then a nasty shoot out winner

so 5 points in 2 games and playing well, I think we're just happy he's producing

stab posted:

Because he's a nightmare on defense

He hasn't been, really. Maybe that will surface later but he's been fine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/BillSpaulding/status/1724118775732052288

Jack closer than Nico is?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/status/1724110318710735002

They got Luke away from Brendan Smith which is good, I guess this means Smith gets to anchor Bahl now until Miller is ready to play games.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

Gustafson had a really really bad year with the Flyers in 2021. I think we can guess what was really the issue with that one (the Flyers are dogshit garbage).

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DOOMocrat posted:

I think Guerin and Evason got exactly the skillsets they wanted, which caused needed areas to be ignored and slowed the team down. I think this because the Wild do this every five years when they start looking decent, since they were founded.

It's pretty great!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Kite posted:

it’s more the way he’s been playing and specifically last night. the last couple of years, he’s been a good opportunistic 5v5 goal scorer but not necessarily driving play or creating chances at the rate you’d like to see.

Last night, he got like 24 minutes and took over the game. Dominated every time he was out. And he’s been consistently a big threat every game this whole year. It’s a nice to see. Unexpected given his preseason, but he might be turning into the player we hoped for, which is exciting.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/ToddCordell/status/1724110318710735002

They got Luke away from Brendan Smith which is good, I guess this means Smith gets to anchor Bahl now until Miller is ready to play games.

I don't understand why they are still doing the Brendan Smith experience. He isn't good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand why they are still doing the Brendan Smith experience. He isn't good.

teams try really, really hard not to waste 1mil of cap hit on nothing mid-season (signing players who aren't worth that cap to contracts is something they do all the time)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

It’s crazy because I remember like three years ago he seemed to be diminishing, and the Rangers were sometimes playing him at wing in the fourth line, and I thought “He was pretty good in his prime but it’s probably the end of the line.” And now he’s still getting games.

Not as crazy as Jack Johnson but somehow the Avs make it work. And his ability to hypnotize GMs is well known. Good for both of them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I just had to look up if this was the same Brendan Smith RWAS was arguing about back in the day and holy gently caress that guy’s still in the NHL at 34?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Brendan Smith occasionally does a few cool things on offense but good god is he nowhere near good enough to make as many mental errors as he does and not come out of the lineup

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gustafsson was quite good in DC and it was funny seeing Toronto healthy scratch him in the postseason after he was traded to them.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
he's the classic guy that every coach (especially ancient rear end ones like Ruff) are invariably fooled by: he's physical/gritty/a rah-rah dude/and always looks like he's trying really hard.

all admirable qualities, and all consumed by being sub replacement level everywhere else

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs next three games are Friday at 2PM, Sunday at 8AM, and Friday at 2PM again. :thanks:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mind_Taker posted:

Gustafsson was quite good in DC and it was funny seeing Toronto healthy scratch him in the postseason after he was traded to them.

"He's not good at defense!"

"Hey let's go sign John Klingberg this offseason for $4 mill!"

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Matt Zerella posted:

The early time with Reavo are always fun and good. Then reality sets in and it's no longer fun or good, so enjoy it Toronto.
https://x.com/KPapetti/status/1723345686547075243?s=20
:(

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Levitate posted:

"He's not good at defense!"

"Hey let's go sign John Klingberg this offseason for $4 mill!"

It’s worth noting that two different GMs identified the same need for offense and puck-moving in the Leafs D corps and Keefe has bungled both attempts to integrate more of that into the team.

Gustafsson has warts and whatever the issue is with Keefe’s systems or coaching they were magnified in his time with the team too. This is why I’m on the fence about calling Klingberg cooked, Keefe has a way of making these guys look worse than other coaches.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s worth noting that two different GMs identified the same need for offense and puck-moving in the Leafs D corps and Keefe has bungled both attempts to integrate more of that into the team.

Sandin was also growing into the role that they could have stuck with him but it seems like both Dubas and Treliving thought the issue might not have been Keefe is incapable of using non-Rielly puck moving D, but that he needed better versions of the guy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I have bad news friend, this was year two for the Rangers :/

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol NHL 96 rear end goal

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
News: There's an article on sportsnet saying mcdavid had nothing to do with bringing in Knoblauch, because he doesn't think he should be treated any differently than his teammates and he doesn't even value his own opinion. Then it states Knoblauch 's plan for the team is splitting up mcdavid and draisaitl and emphasizing accountability (defence)

Views: the oilers are back baby

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Splitting them up actually sounds like a maybe not terrible idea. But it will be funny if they don't recognize that their play had mostly been good but unlucky and start changing a bunch of stuff, then have worse underlying play with better results and doom themselves.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Connor has been pretty bad away from Leon this year, probably cause of his hosed up hip.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
it's november

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Connor has been pretty bad away from Leon this year, probably cause of his hosed up hip.

He really does look like he's laboring when he skates. Dunno why the Oilers didn't shut him down for longer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Congrats to the Edmonton Oilers on changing their coach and getting a win. It definitely was cause they were coached up and had nothing to do with their goaltender being good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Congrats to the Edmonton Oilers on changing their coach and getting a win. It definitely was cause they were coached up and had nothing to do with their goaltender being good.

Maybe he told Skinner to stop the pucks? Did ya ever think of that.