Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

oh noooo where will I get my Brian fix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I really need to see the Reverend get to sit down and put together his hobby kit. :ohdear:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Two issues doesn't seem like enough time to resolve the plot beats about Tom keeping Jason as a captive or Maggie's dad and grandmother(?)'s plans to do something bad to Maggie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Unless... they're really big, long issues? :pray:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It would be somewhat fitting for Magus Tom to finally get everything ready to set his long-awaited scheme for... doing some sort of evil thing... in motion, only to find that whatever he was planning to do is now irrelevant because the status quo completely changed under his nose and the Reverend has left town to fight space robots or something.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, we're going to need some double-length issues if we want to wrap all of Steeple up in a nice little bow. I get the feeling we might get some spin-off wrap-up issues down the line though.

Scary Go Round (November 28-December 3, 2003)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 4-9, 2003)

I always love the things written on Hugo's menu board. "Xmas Trimmings" is a goodun.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 10-15, 2003)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 16-19, 2003)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I too carry two magnets with me at all times. Just in case.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (December 4-9, 2003)

Ivan looks like Sam Waterston.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 22-25, 2003)

Fun elevator fact: Many modern elevators will detect you pressing too many buttons at once and enter "nuisance mode" where it resets your inputs if you punch in more than one or two floors in a row. This was designed to stop children from gumming up the elevator, but it would also work as designed on Amy.

:ohdear:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (December 26-31, 2003)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's been over a decade since I last read SGR, or it was easily accessible, so I definitely forgot that for awhile it was a conga line of serial killers. :allears:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 1-4, 2004)

Happy New Year! Or, uh, I guess... Happy November? New chapter starts tomorrow, starring everyone's favourite secret agent Fallon Young. Also a slight art style change to be a bit more cartoony in the characters' proportions that iirc gets reverted after a few weeks of strips.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
We start the first Robotania arc today with something a bit different: the incredibly awesome goon The_Other sent me all of Allison's retrospective commentary from the PDF collections to post at the start of each chapter. A few of the books collapse related chapters together for a single intro (the next two, Isle of Wight and Bad Religion, for example).

John Allison posted:

This is a very broad story, perhaps my broadest. If you don't like broad humour, I apologise for some rather broad concepts, including (but not limited to) robotic "love tourism".

Having spent nine weeks writing about a lonely French girl who dies in a caravan fire, this can probably be viewed as a cry for help. For at least six hours I toyed with renaming the comic "Lost Bicycle" and making the website entirely pink.

At the start of a year I suffer a terrible crisis of confidence about how things are and how they should be. A new year is a challenge to me akin to a polar bear offering me out for a fight. So I commenced 2004 drawing in a completely different art style that polarised (polar-bear-ised) opinion. After about three weeks I had defeated the smelly artic bear of my own fear and gone back to how I was doing before. So for the consistency of your entertainment, I have redrawn these comics for continuity of presentation. [editor's note: we will not see this as I pulled the originals from the internet archive]

Beware the POLAR BEAR of your own fears, readers!

Scary Go Round (January 5-8, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, finally the new chapter. It starts on Monday:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 9-14, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 15-20, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

Drew this page after five weeks off drawing pages, a broken man too tough to cry. Took me all day. Friends often ask me “when can you take a break?” The answer is, I don’t want to, because starting the old machinery up again is worse than just ploughing on.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 21-25, 2004)

"Busfucker" really rolls off the tongue. busfucker busfucker busfucker busfucker

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I like how stoic Rev stays, despite the hectic goings-on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

davidspackage posted:

I like how stoic Rev stays, despite the hectic goings-on.

Eh, he's seen weirder and worse things.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 26-29, 2004)

:rip: Robovend, we hardly knew ye.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kazinsal posted:

Scary Go Round (January 26-29, 2004)
:rip: Robovend, we hardly knew ye.
They must pay for this insolence!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (January 30-February 4, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

When I was 13 or 14 I had a dream of turquoise boots, a very vivid dream. Perhaps that dream was a premonition of drawing this page.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (February 5-8, 2004)

The second half of this arc starts tomorrow! Bad Religion is the story of the lovely duo of Amy and Shelley fixing poor ol' Ryan Beckwith. At least, as much as they can within the confines of even the Tackleford reality.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I liked those robots

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Hopefully this story gives people a bit of closure, and leaves them with something to think about. I have nothing against organised religion, but if someone made me slick back my hair with cooking lard and worship someone called "Wayne", I would ask questions - and so should you.

Having delayed this very book you're reading now because of a problem*, I was able to sew up all the stories for you in a neat, tidy and orderly fashion when finally compiling the volume. What happened to Tim? What about Ryan? After you read the pages that follow this one, you will hopefully know. And hopefully you'll have sufficient new questions that next year we can do this all over again.

Goodbye!

*Worldwide cuss and sass shortage.

Scary Go Round (February 9-13, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The Reverend is boiling the kettle. I suspect he feels like it’s the only thing he can do.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

clerical error

:dadjoke:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Those two witches really are just the absolute worst.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
the secret is out

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (February 13-17, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (Feburary 18-23, 2004)

Goddammit, Hugo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (February 24-27, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

A big thumpy run upstairs is a very teenage. Well done Billie. Let it all hang out.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If nothing else, posting his old stuff really underlines how far Allison's come through sheer persistence and endless practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pistol_Pete posted:

If nothing else, posting his old stuff really underlines how far Allison's come through sheer persistence and endless practice.

Yeah he could have very easily stuck with the weirdly stiff vector puppet style and gone nowhere.