Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

I always liked how in the episode Conundrum when they all lose their memories, they take one look at the ship's specifications and instantly conclude that it's a battleship.

Not really. Commander Secretly A Bad Guy Trying To Convince Them They're On A War Mission gets Captain Worf to agree they're a battleship, that's not exactly unbiased opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Gutcruncher posted:

Jake dated a Dabo girl who since I cant remember those episodes well, I assume just wanted to hang out with the emissary

I just watched this episode a few nights ago.
She was 20, jake was 16.
Sisko disapproves but learned he doesn't know poo poo about jake and his interests, like Dom-jot.
Dabo girl moves away to college in canada or whatever.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I just watched this episode a few nights ago.
She was 20, jake was 16.
Sisko disapproves but learned he doesn't know poo poo about jake and his interests, like Dom-jot.
Dabo girl moves away to college in canada or whatever.

Ah, one of the rare "Jake Episodes".

I liked the Dabo girl, but I also assume her interest in Jake had something to do with his father.

Who wouldn't want to date the son of the Chosen One?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Damnit now I have to waste my precious time doing a bad job of making an image of an ExoComp with a replicated trumpet
Generative AI to the rescue

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Overbite-lookin rear end ship

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
it is cute and moe, you just don't understand the appeal

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Soul Dentist posted:

Overbite-lookin rear end ship

It looks like a duck!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It was always so exciting when they went to the "Battle Bridge".

But also, not a warship, just a peaceful ship of discovery.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

CainFortea posted:

Also I don't think I've ever heard of a stripper marrying an ensign so they can move on to the flagship.

How is this not a series?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Borg are on a course for earth! Quick, mobilize Starfleet to defend the capital of our federation! We are mobilizing Starfleet instead of our military because-

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

The Borg are on a course for earth! Quick, mobilize Starfleet to defend the capital of our federation! We are mobilizing Starfleet instead of our military because-

“Starfleet is not a military organization” is an incredibly effective piece of Federation propaganda. Hats off to whoever came up with it.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

? Because there isn't one

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Because they are closer to the Borg in space already

naem
May 29, 2011

the borg will be defenseless against our well trained force of botanists and councilors and precocious child math savants

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
And our merchant marine fleet of quasi-warships and people who are science diplomat relay purgers one minute and soldiers having to sit under artillery fire the next.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Guess the woke leftist pinko feds don't know the value of a standing army of underclass soldiers and a strong MIC

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Many of these torpedoes are science torpedoes.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hmm it just occurred to me that you could, theoretically, keep a huge aresenal of weapons in each of earth's lagrange points

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm making the world's biggest, slowest jerkoff motion to the whole last two hours here

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

GolfHole posted:

hmm it just occurred to me that you could, theoretically, keep a huge aresenal of weapons in each of earth's lagrange points

No that's gonna get in the way of the space telescopes.

And you still need propulsion to keep things parked there, they don't just orbit the lagrange point forever with no input. JWST will go end of life solely because on propellant depletion. In ST energy is effectively infinite, so they could, but the moon or a starship is an another option.

McSpanky posted:

I'm making the world's biggest, slowest jerkoff motion to the whole last two hours here

Tech wanking... in a Star Trek thread? :gonk:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh, well, nevermind. i guess you do need to build a space navy cruise liner fleet

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

unless..... *uses everything i learned from the starfleet command course by looking over at rom and obrien quizzically*

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I mean Starfleet is obviously the Federation's military when needed but that's not its principle or primary purpose, or what it does most of the time

It's fair to say it's not a military in the same way the Eisenhower Interstate System isn't a bunch of runways and the cybertrkk isn't a boat... But it can function briefly as one

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Watched the S2 Voyager episode where 2 Voyagers are created slightly out of phase with each other. Kim gets sucked out into space, not yet named Naomi Wildman dies after birth but both are replaced from the other Voyager 'because it only seems fair' before the latter self destructs. Pretty bleh episode. The Vidiians are pretty much as bad as any other baddie we see imo. We'll attack you and straight up harvest the organs you need to survive. On the space-dick scale I think I'd put them above the borg. Sure they're going to assimilate and destroy you but building a borg collective seems less personal or something.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

maybeadracula posted:

I mean Starfleet is obviously the Federation's military when needed but that's not its principle or primary purpose, or what it does most of the time

It's fair to say it's not a military in the same way the Eisenhower Interstate System isn't a bunch of runways and the cybertrkk isn't a boat... But it can function briefly as one

Its totally fair to say starfleet isnt just a military, but early TNG's insistence on "no! not a military! not at all!!!" while also doing everything a military does is just hilarious

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It would be funny if they really weren't the military and one time Picard called for a military vessel and the Romulans were like "Oh gently caress actually we gotta go"

Sisko: The Defiant is an exploratory vessel. We are going to explore how thoroughly we can kick your rear end.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

Its totally fair to say starfleet isnt just a military, but early TNG's insistence on "no! not a military! not at all!!!" while also doing everything a military does is just hilarious

This isn't a military, Lieutenant. And if you say it again we'll court martial you.

Yes, commander.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Putting some beakers and a microscope on my Iowa-class destroyer and “exploring” the Pacific Ocean

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Piss warp coils are stored in the balls nacelles.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Everyone, take out you phasers and "explore" those Klingons!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Tng doesn't say that at all. It's saying that it's a vessel of exploration that can do military. Instead of it being a battleship that kids live on for some reason

Like, the defiant is the first purpose built warship

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

McSpanky posted:

General Bullshit > STAR TREK: I'm making the world's biggest, slowest jerkoff motion

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is Section 31 the "secret" military of the Federation?

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Section 31 are the CIA people that walk around in jackets that say CIA on them.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Tng doesn't say that at all. It's saying that it's a vessel of exploration that can do military. Instead of it being a battleship that kids live on for some reason

Like, the defiant is the first purpose built warship

Riker freaked out when he was told to do a war game exercise because Starfleet isn’t a military. Yes Riker is a pretty big idiot, but the show was framed to make the test organizer look like the bad guy

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Sedgr posted:

Section 31 are the CIA people that walk around in jackets that say CIA on them.

That's a distraction so nobody notices Section 32

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Section 31 is Col. Sam Flagg from M*A*S*H

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Riker freaked out when he was told to do a war game exercise because Starfleet isn’t a military. Yes Riker is a pretty big idiot, but the show was framed to make the test organizer look like the bad guy

Talking about the guy who data makes concede the game at the end? I thought it was more because that dude was a snobby shithead

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

that episode was a lot of fun and i cannot believe they didnt revisit it with each series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

First of May posted:

Generative AI to the rescue

:aaa:

"Flaps" Greebles, the first member of Starfleet to successfully play Nightbird.