Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm reading An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us, and the first chapter is about dogs and their smelling. It's an interesting reading experience because I already have a rather weak sense of smell - so it's totally out of my experience when people describe smelling the body odor of people standing near them, or even flowers and perfumes. So they are to me what dogs are to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve had the same kindle since 2012, no issues with it but I think I’m going to make the leap over to kobo this holiday season. Looked at a few reviews and haven’t heard anything negative, just wanted to see if there were any dissenting opinions here. Only downside I can think of is I’d have to jump a few small hoops if I wanted to port any of my kindle library over.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Has anybody else read Gateway by Frederick Pohl? I started it last night and am not sure I want to continue as it's more a character study/psychology of an rear end in a top hat that happens to have sci-fi trappings and I'm not sure I want to read about this character's miserableness.

It also does that ping ponging between events in the story: every other chapter is the MC getting mad and pissy at his psychologist in the present, while the mission he went on is told in flashback in the other chapters. It's not handled well and doesn't build up the mystery of what happened to him as it's supposed to. I briefly looked at some light spoilery reviews and hate that I already pinned down the root of the main character's psychological upset. He refuses to talk to his psychologist about a woman so I figured she died on the mission or dumped him and lo and behold reviews imply she left him.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from award winning 70s science fiction. Fries and a coke please.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's really overrated. Wouldn't bother finishing.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

anilEhilated posted:

It's really overrated. Wouldn't bother finishing.

Glad to know it isn't just me. I've also just realized it's the same theme as Annie Hall; a neurotic can't deal with life. And I know too many people irl with issues, I don't need to read about fictional ones that refuse to deal with it. And yes, I am one of the haters of Annie Hall as well, if that wasn't apparent. What the hell was it about the late 70s that caused these types of stories? The energy crisis? Some other event I've forgotten about?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I had copy of one of the Gateway sequels in my house as a kid, back in the day when a new book meant convincing someone to take you somewhere physically to get it so a book in the house already was one I'd read five or ten times just because it was there.

I remember thinking "this is kinda awful but there's enough here to make me wonder what the first book must have been like."

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'd mail you mine Hieronymous if you're still curious, but it's kinda musty and has a slight cigarette smell when I fanned through it. Also browned as hell pages but that's par for the course with old cheap paperbacks.

Edit: Maybe I'll just bin it in recycling; no one wants books that grody.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone have any advice on reading the Gene Wolfe New Sun books? I tried and failed a year and a half ago and I'm thinking of getting back on the horse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't worry about the poo poo you aren't getting. A lot of the mysteries in the first half are semi explained later on. And don't spend all your energy trying to "solve" the novel on your first reading, it's not designed for that.

Don't immediately start hitting up pods or writing on the novels before you finish Urth. It'll end up sneaking strange ideas into your head that'll be hard to shake.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, just go with the flow. It rewards attentive reading but it's best to form your own theories.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I went with the flow and for me the flow was "You were bored for most of the previous book, do you wanna read the next one? Yeah, thought so. Alright, dork, let's read something dumb instead."

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I read BotNS last year/earlier this year and once I sort of accepted that some of it wasn't going to make complete sense and just let the vibes wash over me, I enjoyed it a lot more.

Then I saw a (maybe) spoiler about an aspect I definitely did not get at all on a first read because someone had to just blab it out in a twitter reply for some reason. It didn't make sense to me when I read it but I suspect it'll be hard to not think about it when I re-read BotNS, which I was planning to do sometime soon.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
You just need to remember that the standard outfit is, black leather boots, black leather pants, black leather floor length cloak, black leather hood, no shirt and giant sword. Everything else follows from there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I hate mysteries and going with the flow, perhaps it's not the series for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It is not

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'll go back to reading Hammer's Slammers by David Drake

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone have any advice on reading the Gene Wolfe New Sun books? I tried and failed a year and a half ago and I'm thinking of getting back on the horse.
The nice thing about New Sun is it doesn't require you to solve all the mysteries to have fun. It's not like Fifth Head where you have to figure out the puzzle in order to enjoy it. It can just be a dark fantasy adventure story about a hosed up guy in a hosed up future.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gertrude Perkins posted:

How was it for you? Did you need a cigarette?

It was a weird book but I was really impressed at how good of a book it actually was, bestiality notwithstanding.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

mellonbread posted:

The nice thing about New Sun is it doesn't require you to solve all the mysteries to have fun. It's not like Fifth Head where you have to figure out the puzzle in order to enjoy it. It can just be a dark fantasy adventure story about a hosed up guy in a hosed up future.

I don't really have any clue about the deeper things going on in Fifth Head and I enjoyed it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

I'm late to the party with this response, but in addition to seconding the sentiment of "just let it flow over you and absorb however much of it you want, it has more layers than you'll get to in any one reading anyway and all of them are optional," I can recommend the audiobooks as a tool for doing that. Audiobooks are inherently better for ~ * ~ vibes ~ * ~ books because they tend to be harder to absorb fine details on, and The Book of the New Sun is already so dreamlike and strange that the audiobook works well for letting you drift through it on a tide of gorgeous prose and bizarre, beautiful imagery.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skip the play.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Skip the play.

The play is the only way to understand the ending without Urth. It's also fun.

Anyways what's the worst back of the book quotes you have ever seen on a novel. Got my copy of Notes on Cinematography by Robert Bresson today and found this gem on the back.

John Semley, The A.V. Club posted:

Half philosophy, half poetry, Notes on Cinematography reads in places like The Art of War for filmmakers.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I just had something pretty weird happen.

I ordered a few books from Amazon.co.uk (because one book I wanted wasn't out yet in mainland Europe, and then why not get a few more), and one of them I could tell the moment I opened the envelop that it was POD and not traditionally printed. There's just something about the surface and colors of the cover with the Amazon POD printing that makes it obvious. And there's a 'Printed in Great Britain by Amazon' thing on the last page, with a bar code, so that confirmed it.
The text in the book is way too close to the inner margin, and the spine too tough to crack it open enough to read. Maybe this book just has too many pages to use that particular POD method but they did it anyway.
I went to start a return and Amazon is refusing to refund to my card and would only offer a 'returnless refund' to store credit. I accepted it because I'm not going to waste my time fighting Amazon and having to return this thing. Maybe this is due to the me being in the Netherlands and ordering from the UK. I'm also getting GBP 1.63 more back than I spent for some reason.

The thing is, this is a book from a Harper Collins imprint, not some lovely CreateSpace title.
I didn't know this was even a thing that Amazon offered to real publishers
Is there a way to tell from a product page that this is going to happen? With quality issues like this, I'd rather avoid Amazon POD books forever

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

EricBauman posted:

The thing is, this is a book from a Harper Collins imprint, not some lovely CreateSpace title.
I didn't know this was even a thing that Amazon offered to real publishers
Is there a way to tell from a product page that this is going to happen? With quality issues like this, I'd rather avoid Amazon POD books forever
I think what you're describing is going to be the new normal for many titles. The drawbacks and benefits of POD are the same for the big publishers as for self-publishers: the unit costs are much higher but they don't have to pay to store thousands of copies in warehouses, they don't print in the thousands to make it economical, and they don't have to eat the cost of the print run when they overprint.

The readability of the interior text is often a low priority for them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Finishing up battle cry of freedom and god there was so much diplomatic/spy stuff going that I never knew about in the civil war.
Highly recommend

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The Island of Doctor Moreau is reminding me more of Heart of Darkness than I was expecting.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 19, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It does have that same energy, a man desperately not wanting to be there and experiencing these horrors.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There's a week left to sign up for Secret Santa and get cool books for Christmas. Don't be a stranger!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Llamadeus posted:

I think what you're describing is going to be the new normal for many titles. The drawbacks and benefits of POD are the same for the big publishers as for self-publishers: the unit costs are much higher but they don't have to pay to store thousands of copies in warehouses, they don't print in the thousands to make it economical, and they don't have to eat the cost of the print run when they overprint.

The readability of the interior text is often a low priority for them.

this is awful. I was just thinking about the niceness of a well-printed book.

I really hope this doesn't catch on...

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thinking of picking up ringworld.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Sounds heavy.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It’s maybe the Hugo winner that’s suffered most with reappraisal.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FPyat posted:

It’s maybe the Hugo winner that’s suffered most with reappraisal.

I'm mentally preparing myself for the extreme hornieness.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It’s a great example of a certain type of sci-fi where a whole book is written to explore a cool, physical, sci-fi thing, and then later some plot and characters are added.

I do remember one character very well, because she was bred for luck, which is so stupid I love it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Not sure if right thread, but my iOS comic book app died at some point. Anyone know of a good CBR reader that still works on iOS 17?

I used ComicZeal and then that stopped working, switched to Chunky and it also died. So maybe it's me killing these apps

edit: I'm wondering if the dev actually died, because their last update was on 2020 and it was pretty regular before that :ohdear:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Not sure if right thread, but my iOS comic book app died at some point. Anyone know of a good CBR reader that still works on iOS 17?

I used ComicZeal and then that stopped working, switched to Chunky and it also died. So maybe it's me killing these apps

edit: I'm wondering if the dev actually died, because their last update was on 2020 and it was pretty regular before that :ohdear:

Panels is great and actively developed/maintained.

I hope the ComicZeal dev/devs are alright. I used to love that app.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

101 posted:

Panels is great and actively developed/maintained.

I hope the ComicZeal dev/devs are alright. I used to love that app.

Panels looks neat, cheers fellow goon :cheers:

To clarify, the Chunky app is the one that stopped updating in 2020, not sure when ComicZeal stopped working but it must've been earlier than that

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lifg posted:

It’s a great example of a certain type of sci-fi where a whole book is written to explore a cool, physical, sci-fi thing, and then later some plot and characters are added.

I do remember one character very well, because she was bred for luck, which is so stupid I love it.

Listen there is nothing more I love in sci fi than stupidly huge mysterious megastructures. It's like catnip to me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Lawman 0 posted:

Listen there is nothing more I love in sci fi than stupidly huge mysterious megastructures. It's like catnip to me.

Have you read Charles Sheffield's Divergence? That was a pretty good one of those. Was to have been the first of a trilogy but he died before the third book so we shall never know the answer to the mystery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

first one is a great BDO book with a plot stapled on to it but they get progressively worse.

I'd read Ringworld Engineers too and then decide if you want to keep going (Warning Ghoul Sex).

TBH the best ringworld novel is actually Terry Pratchett's Strata but it makes more sense if you've read the book it's actively parodying