Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What if I sell ADA compliance services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Omne posted:

Bonus option is to ask them how they've managed to be so successful at Company X, what guidance or advice they'd offer someone in your position, etc. Execs love talking about how awesome they are and how they have a powerful father worked hard and you can too!
I literally can't imagine taking a skip level seriously if I asked this and they didn't ask back whether I was taking the piss.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evil_bunnY posted:

I literally can't imagine taking a skip level seriously if I asked this and they didn't ask back whether I was taking the piss.

Huh weird almost as if you wouldn't want to take the former seriously over the latter who seems to have a working brain

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Seems like a good time to confirm the upcoming buzzword/KPI of the year.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I was at an industry conference this week and heard my first live instance of 'let's double click into that' by someone leading a panel. If it wasn't for this thread I don't think I would have even caught it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hannibal posted:

I was at an industry conference this week and heard my first live instance of 'let's double click into that' by someone leading a panel. If it wasn't for this thread I don't think I would have even caught it.

It’s so weird for me that this is new. I hear it constantly. I’ve even used it because I am a broken person / management consultant (redundant I know).

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Double click
Have the bandwidth
Take this offline

All corp speak is tech based now

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I've been hearing "line of sight" a ton lately.
I can't tell if I'm at work or games workshop.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I like "Take this offline" because it's a nice way to say "stfu about this right now"

And "Have the bandwidth" is a nice "I will only do new thing if you agree something old can be dropped".

Double click is stupid.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
“We’re just going to put that one in the parking lot for now.”

The parking lot is a bunch of stickies on a flip-pad.

Glad I’ve never heard double-click in the context you folks are speaking of. It’s nice to have one area of my corporate life more sane than yours. Of course, we put the moose on the table at my last place soooo…

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

"These unprecedented times" is making a comeback

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Weird how these unprecedented times keep precedenting themselves.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I blame this thread, I had never noticed double-click in the wild until like a month ago and it was after someone mentioned it here. Nails on chalkboard.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Volmarias posted:

Weird how these unprecedented times keep precedenting themselves.

Things I can think of from my own lifetime that count as unprecedented:

1. The collapse of the soviet union
2. 9/11
3. Covid

And honestly I don't know if they're even "unprecedented" so much as "massive and difficult to plan for". Inflation, recession and constant war and death feel entirely precedented.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dango Bango posted:

That's because layoffs are coming back

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

Glad I’ve never heard double-click in the context you folks are speaking of. It’s nice to have one area of my corporate life more sane than yours. Of course, we put the moose on the table at my last place soooo…

The Germans in my group will sometimes say "put the fish on the table". Apparently that's a rural Bavarian thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Did you explain to them that the proper American idiom is "put the fish in the microwave"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

And "Have the bandwidth" is a nice "I will only do new thing if you agree something old can be dropped".

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Did you explain to them that the proper American idiom is "put the fish in the microwave"

Are you trying to give them an excuse to start a third world war?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Darmok, his fish blackened? ... Shaka, when the server was down.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

spincube posted:

Thread title please.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Things I can think of from my own lifetime that count as unprecedented:

1. The collapse of the soviet union
2. 9/11
3. Covid

And honestly I don't know if they're even "unprecedented" so much as "massive and difficult to plan for". Inflation, recession and constant war and death feel entirely precedented.

Words

... Shoot I misread what you wrote and started violently agreeing with you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spincube posted:

:five:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

spincube posted:

:thurman:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

it depends on the field, if you give no fucks in sales it's probably praised but if you give no fucks in, say, ADA compliance, you'll probably have trouble.

I’ve worked my whole career in and around the design side and I think “giving no fucks” is fairly standard.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

spincube posted:

:stroke:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s so weird for me that this is new. I hear it constantly. I’ve even used it because I am a broken person / management consultant (redundant I know).

The interesting thing is that "double-click" hasn't permeated my workplace much like the others that are being mentioned here (bandwidth, taking it offline, parking lot, even the dreaded "ask" as a noun - a particular pet peeve of mine)

I think I'm aware enough that if I had heard it, I would have noticed it and I had to hold back a laugh at this conference (especially as I was near-ish the front of the room).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have an all day account planning meeting tomorrow and I just don’t want to. Bleh.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I’m sitting in a seminar and one of the VPs calling in has what must be a tin can on a string for a mic, its painful to listen too its that bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
How I hope to be memorialized: My misspelled name and deeds being announced via a auto-respond.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Left the business following his death" is so darkly funny that I may never laugh again.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
He’s having one-on-ones with God, now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dpkg chopra posted:

He’s having one-on-ones with God, now.

Surely that’s a skip level.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Only if you're Catholic.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I thought malaria was endemic now?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Dango Bango posted:

I work for a highly underperforming Electric utility and we’ve been having historic 50-100 year extreme weather storms every 1-2 years now. Guessing the baseline hasn’t been updated to account for our historically underinvested infrastructure.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

HellHeaven is the ultimate matrix organization.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Lockback posted:

How I hope to be memorialized: My misspelled name and deeds being announced via a auto-respond.

I like the implication that death is the only way you can leave the business.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CancerCakes posted:

I like the implication that death is the only way you can leave the business.

I sure don't!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Unfortunately Gramham Grahahama Gramama this guy has left the business, fortunately it was because he died so unwanted attrition numbers are not impacted!