Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Five year old just no sold the end of Charlotte's Web and I'm worried we've created a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Elissimpark posted:

We took our kids to a wildlife park a couple years back and our (then) 3yo got swarmed by kangaroos while holding a feed bag. She understandably freaked out, but once rescued and safe behind a fence, enjoyed the kangaroos and even fed them.

The surprisingly tall cow just standing in a paddock just minding its own business in a fenced off paddock? Meltdown into inconsolable tears and had to be carried past it on our return journey.

Kangaroo is a melee unit but a cow is ranged (tall promotion gives +1 to range)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
sometimes I wonder Wtf I'm doing as a dad or a husband and then I interact with a different family and I know deep in my soul that whatever I'm doing is 1000% more correct than whatever the gently caress they are doing and I feel better.

like wtf is going on out there. how do people function.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

sometimes I wonder Wtf I'm doing as a dad or a husband and then I interact with a different family and I know deep in my soul that whatever I'm doing is 1000% more correct than whatever the gently caress they are doing and I feel better.

yeah lol

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

gently caress yes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
some friends of ours bought a "cabin" during covid and then decided to move out there full time after the public school in Seattle they were slated for "wasn't a good fit".

they have two kids. the dad now spends the work week at the original house in Seattle and he said "I bought a cabin in the woods and then you all showed up."

like how

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

some friends of ours bought a "cabin" during covid and then decided to move out there full time after the public school in Seattle they were slated for "wasn't a good fit".

they have two kids. the dad now spends the work week at the original house in Seattle and he said "I bought a cabin in the woods and then you all showed up."

like how

Sounds like you're jealous you don't have a badass cabin.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

absolutely

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

like how
Tell Mr Sanders hi for me

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Same. How does anyone live past infancy

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
A mom told me the other day how she moved her daughter to another room at 4 months, and started daycare at 7 months. We have fairly generous parental leave which pays ~ 3k USD per month as long as you were at least on unemployment insurance for up to 46 weeks after the baby is born. All I could do was nod and say uh-huh while screaming internally.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Putting your kid in daycare while you're still on leave is mind-boggling

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I'm going to be that annoying guy who plays Devil's Advocate. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but where I live, you do need to get moving almost immediately after a baby is born if you want to secure a nanny or a daycare spot because the demand is so great. Otherwise, the end of your leave becomes a really unpleasant scramble and you really don't want to be under a time crunch when deciding care arrangements.

I'm not saying that the parent in question is doing the right thing. I'm just thinking that part of what a lot of people need to use leave for is getting that time to get the right working hours care set-up for their kid.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Putting your kid in daycare while you're still on leave is mind-boggling

Some kids are much much harder than other kids and I wouldn’t judge the parents unless i knew directly how bad it was.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm going to be that annoying guy who plays Devil's Advocate. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but where I live, you do need to get moving almost immediately after a baby is born if you want to secure a nanny or a daycare spot because the demand is so great. Otherwise, the end of your leave becomes a really unpleasant scramble and you really don't want to be under a time crunch when deciding care arrangements.

I'm not saying that the parent in question is doing the right thing. I'm just thinking that part of what a lot of people need to use leave for is getting that time to get the right working hours care set-up for their kid.

uh we had to get on lists months before baby was born. I’m sure it’s worse now in some parts of the country.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

sonatinas posted:

uh we had to get on lists months before baby was born. I’m sure it’s worse now in some parts of the country.

toddler was 2 when we got a call back saying they had an infant slot open, we got on the list during pregnancy

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Most kids go to daycare at 11 months old, you're guaranteed a spot from the end of your leave in Denmark

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Struensee posted:

Most kids go to daycare at 11 months old, you're guaranteed a spot from the end of your leave in Denmark

the only guarantee in the US is that you're hosed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The city does some pre-K starting at 2 here.
We're hopping since we're both WFH we can skip daycare until then. Grandma is available too.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Mathed it out with the childcare worker and was like "a 1.5 year waiting list for infant care is unreasonable. IVF Family planning, even if centered around your waiting list only, cannot accommodate that kinda projection. Are you serious?"

"Yes"

"How many times a slot opens up for miscarriage!?! Huh! You are not being serious. Goodbye"

And all the toddlers clapped

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Struensee posted:

Huh. Sounds nice. :)

I don't blame a parent for wanting a bit of space if the daycare is otherwise available, but we're getting into a situation and a person I don't know so I'll shut up.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sonatinas posted:

Good catch on that. You're right that daycares in the US often make you sign on pre-birth. Nannies tend to work on a shorter notice timeframe, but it's more expensive.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Huh. Sounds nice. :)

I don't blame a parent for wanting a bit of space if the daycare is otherwise available, but we're getting into a situation and a person I don't know so I'll shut up.

Yeah I wasn't too miffed about the daycare, there are certainly situations where it's necessary, e.g. they're a small business owner or dependent on the greater income from a salary. I just thought not co-sleeping with your baby apalling. We're still sleeping in the same room as our 2 ½ year old. Maybe I'm wrong though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

lol what no

gtfo of my bedroom kid. you're two.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Our first slept like poo poo until we put her in her own room around I dunno 4 or 5 months? don't remember exactly, but not having us stumbling around to disturb her (and giving her a nice comfy crib instead of the bassinet) worked wonders

With the second it didn't make much difference but we still did it

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My wife and I did "co-sleeping" in the sense of the bassinet was in the living room and the loser slept on the couch and tended the baby and the other person got a burst of uninterrupted sleep in our bedroom. I don't remember exactly how long it was until we decided she wouldn't die if she slept in her crib in her room but it was probably way too long.

We went to our first toddler birthday party this weekend. I was proud of us for trying to be social. We don't have any "parent friends" yet so this was kind of a leap.

Then talking to parents it was like...

"Oh you're an economist for Brookings Institute, that must be very interesting..."

"Ah, your husband can't be here because he is running [restaurant chain that shut down location for union organizing], that's a shame."

"Oh, you have enough family money that you can just choose to stay home with your kid for three years? And he's the one who just shoved my 15-month-old to the ground for no reason? Mmm..."

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol what no

gtfo of my bedroom kid. you're two.

Maybe you can call my wife and explain this to her.

Still think 4 months is a little early tho

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I cosleep with my 9mo infant like half the night, but I'm kinda done cosleeping with her because she has developed into a very sweaty baby.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
just put a single bed in the kids room along with the crib, if the kid wakes up go sleep with them in the bed for awhile, have parents alteranate nights doing this

there you go, one lucky person gets a nice sleep every night

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Our 4yo has her bedtime routine down pat. Bedtime between 8-9 (depending on various factors), then brushing her teeth and bedtime.

Then she wakes up between 1-3am and climbs into our bed for the rest of the night. Sometimes I'll get pushed to the very edge and decide to go sleep in her bed instead lol

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

two bedtimes? jeez... some parents.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
For every bedtime an anarchist child doesn't have, my child will have two

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Huck the toddler into their room and block their exit with a baby gate at 7:30pm.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

it is wild how much of an event bedtime still is for my kids.

by the time I was my older son's age (9), my parents just said "it's 8:30 go to bed" and that was the end of it.

I've gotta budget a full 60-90 minutes to read a chapter of a book and whatnot. my children would riot if story time didn't happen.

maybe I should have rioted more as a kid. I presume it would have just meant more spanking.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Direct action gets the goods

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Direct action gets the goods

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
our three month old had an MRI yesterday to check for tethered cord and the results this morning are: no developmental anomalies, no tethered cord

:toot:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

our three month old had an MRI yesterday to check for tethered cord and the results this morning are: no developmental anomalies, no tethered cord

:toot:

Yay! Glad to hear you got good news. Must be a relief. :)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You get any freaky photos or print outs of blobs? I highly recommend seeing what a 3D sonograph looks like before paying the extra to get 3D photos of your fetus. They are a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the bar to clear as a dad is in the sub-basement. it's insane.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Nov 14, 2023