Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CelticPredator posted:

You eat it you silly. Unless it’s completely the opposite of what you ordered like fish or something.

The example was dill pickles, which I just don't like and wouldn't eat. Eating it is not one of the options on the table because I'm not going to.

In reality, there is actually only one option on the table and it's go back to the counter and politely explain what's happened and ask for a replacement like a normal loving person and not some paranoid weirdo who thinks "oh no, what if this person's manager happens to be paying attention right now and they happen to be a psychopath and this happens to set them off and this employee gets yelled at (which, given the manager in this scenario has to be a psycho who yells at employees, is probably going to happen regardless)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I’ll come back and sheepishly and apologetically ask for a replacement if it’s something that’ll make me sick (looking at you, avocado), or a beef burger when I ordered a vegetarian one, but pickles, olives, whatever. I’ll pick off chilies even though I’m the world’s biggest spice babby. Taking the food back is strictly for times I CAN’T eat it and I’m really hungry and it’s my one option and I’m really nice about it. Foods I won’t eat, ehhh I’ll just pick it off.

Even then, last week the boss ordered me a hot dog from the kitchen at work and forgot to ask for a veggie sausage and I just gave it to the bartender and ate fries. I ain’t wanna make a fuss during lunch rush.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I don't think that credburn is being entirely sincere in their love and acceptance of being on the receiving end of constant abuse as a minimum wage worker. They're being a bit cynical about it but they're not wrong necessarily either. The primary job of a telephone customer service rep, for example, is to soak up abuse from enraged people being hosed over by Comcast or whatever. Its not like they're empowered to actually do anything to help them.
to be clear, it is true that companies are depending upon it being true that the lowest paid jobs in society exist, on purpose, to be abuse targets, and it's definitely true that part of the work of customer service is always inevitably going to involve some level of managing the customer's emotions as a representative of the employer, but when credburn whines that everybody needs to accept abuse without complaint because any improvement in those conditions is totally impossible, they're defeatist and also just. Don't fuckin tell/expect other people to just quietly accept their own dehumanization? Some kind of internalized protestant work ethic bullshit maybe

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

The example was dill pickles, which I just don't like and wouldn't eat. Eating it is not one of the options on the table because I'm not going to.

Oh I see, we're posting with a 5 year old. You can eat food you don't like once in a while you know?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh I see, we're posting with a 5 year old. You can eat food you don't like once in a while you know?

Picky eaters are a definite pet peeve of mine. Unless you are allergic, it's silly to hate some common foods as an adult. And especially if you order a specific item that was designed with that ingredient, but you decide you are a better chef and want to redesign the big mac. Just go to a place that has the product you want available.

I understand you don't want to eat that cheese that has maggots inside it. I also understand vegetarian/vegan is of course a different thing.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I mean I think it's fine to simply not like certain foods and not order stuff with them, lord knows I would not purposefully eat a mushroom, but refusing to eat them if you're given them by an unthinking factory line of cheap burgers is strange

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

If I was at someone's house and they served me food with dill pickles in it, I would eat them without complaint. But if I order food at a business and pay money for it then I will order food that I like and if they bring me the wrong food then I will, politely, request that they correct the mistake. Because I am a functional adult who doesn't break down in panic or dread of some imagined horror that might befall the poor staff member if their hypothetical monster of a boss catches them providing customer service, which is the their job.

Do you walk into a restaurant, blindly point at an item on the menu and then resign yourself to eating whatever appears? No. You order what you want and you expect to receive it. You people are being loving ridiculous.

lobsterminator posted:

Unless you are allergic, it's silly to hate some common foods as an adult.
Are you telling me there aren't foods you dislike? Foods that you would avoid eating whenever possible? You just like everything, do you? You are talking poo poo.

lobsterminator posted:

And especially if you order a specific item that was designed with that ingredient, but you decide you are a better chef and want to redesign the big mac. Just go to a place that has the product you want available.
God forbid I offend the master chef at the local McDonald's. And if I'm with a group of people who want to go there, I must stick to my principles and go somewhere else, alone, because making a very simple and common request at a fast food restaurant is a crime on par with spitting in their faces.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Do you walk into a restaurant, blindly point at an item on the menu and then resign yourself to eating whatever appears? No. You order what you want and you expect to receive it.

And then if I don't receive what I ordered I go "ah, oh well, no problem" and eat the food

Did your parents never tell you there are starving children in Africa or

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
personally if there was a food item that I absolutely would not eat to the point that I would not eat something that had touched it then I probably would not go to a place that routinely serves it on almost everything and hope that if I ask them to do it differently that the overworked and undermotivated entry level worker there will not accidentally do the thing that they do hundreds of times a day and put it on my food. even though it's a fixable problem it will make a bunch of people's day worse (including mine) and that's more hassle than I'm interested in considering I know the food will still not be very good even if they follow my instructions and also I can just get other food to begin with. it is a lose/lose/lose situation.

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Nov 13, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
My pet peeve is people who, in 2023, still think of a business as a monolithic slab and not a collection of moving parts all of which are getting variously hosed by corporate. The kind of person who looks in the bag at their fast food burg and doesn't realize that they paid actual humans to make that for them and they did the best job they could in the four minutes you gave them, and so comes inside and sadfaces about pickles because they don't realize that doing so makes the already unrealistic expectations placed onto the worker even more unrealistic, and failures even more likely.

There's no fixing it, Tiggum. At every place I've worked at in my entire life the failures were a predictable if not absolutely inevitable result of the processes handed down to us. Unfortunately those processes were universally designed by failsons who will throw the biggest tantrum if called out, so they will not be fixed. There are thousands of studies and people with actual degrees on how to avoid and correct this, but the changes don't get implemented because the former CEO's adult son needs a job and how bad could he really gently caress it up? (Spoilers: as bad or worse as everything else they touch).

If you're looking for custom order accuracy, a class of business whose entire focus is on getting food to you quickly at the cost of literally everything else is not the place to go even slightly. You are, without exaggeration, making fast food jobs worse for the inevitable consequences of your decision to eat fast food.

If you hate pickles just don't order things that come with pickles. Like if something is a hard out for you let it be a hard out and don't try and make it some dude working his third shift today's problem, because they might make it your problem right back whether they intend to or not.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

if I'm with a group of people

Does this ever happen

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Are you telling me there aren't foods you dislike? Foods that you would avoid eating whenever possible? You just like everything, do you? You are talking poo poo.

To the point where I don't believe I have ever refused any food (after childhood) and I have never asked for alterations to meals. I don't think that's special. Pretty much all foods are decent.

I have also eaten bugs and they were decent.

There are foods I love, but there very few foods I dislike. It would be like disliking water.

lobsterminator has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Nov 13, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
this is a lesson I learned when I was 6, because I hated literally all of the toppings McD's put on their burgers. the onions were poo poo, the pickles were poo poo, the ketchup and mustard were just ketchup and mustard but they put way too much on to hide how mediocre the burger patty and bun were (not that I understood this at the time, I just didn't want a ketchup and mustard sandwich lightly garnished with beef.) this was back in the 80s when being fresh and made to order were not big selling points so McD's would just assembly line standard burgers and leave them under a heat lamp so they could just shovel preassembled food into bags. which meant that if you asked them to hold the toppings either they'd take several times longer to make the food from scratch or they would gently caress it up or probably both, somehow. then I learned that they also sold prepackaged salads full of inoffensive foods that were impossible to gently caress up and also came with a giant packet of ranch dressing.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I’m with Tiggum on this one. There’s nothing wrong with politely asking for the thing you are paying for to be made how you ordered it, fast food or not. I think a lot of you are saying because it’s cheap (which it’s not anymore), it’s in a different category. Would you be happy if the couch you ordered in blue was delivered in green? Of course not. What’s the difference, the amount of money you spent and how much they pay their workers? It’s the same principle, you should get what you ordered.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Calypso posted:

What’s the difference, the amount of money you spent and how much they pay their workers?

Literally yes

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Calypso posted:

I’m with Tiggum on this one. There’s nothing wrong with politely asking for the thing you are paying for to be made how you ordered it, fast food or not. I think a lot of you are saying because it’s cheap (which it’s not anymore), it’s in a different category. Would you be happy if the couch you ordered in blue was delivered in green? Of course not. What’s the difference, the amount of money you spent and how much they pay their workers? It’s the same principle, you should get what you ordered.

But this is going in circles. In the beginning I also said I expect to get what I ordered and I also rarely if ever have gotten the wrong thing. It would be very weird to get something that I didn't order regularly and I wonder if it's regional.

I stand by my previous statements: I expect to get the thing I ordered, purely because mistakes happen so rarely. It's not a thing I've had to really think about before this weirdly passionate debate (myself included). I also don't make deliberately difficult orders at fast food places, because I am not a child.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

"No pickles, please" = a deliberately difficult order lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Calypso posted:

If I ordered my couch from the cheapest, fastest vendor possible I would not be terribly surprised if the couch I received was not what I was expecting, and also would anticipate that getting them to replace it with the correct one would be a much larger headache than it would be from a more reputable vendor. Sure, I should be able to get what I ordered without hassle. But I also understand that they're probably cheaper and faster for a reason and I know that's a risk that I take ordering from them, so I'm probably not going to order there unless I just need A Couch and aren't in a position to be picky.

lobsterminator posted:

But this is going in circles. In the beginning I also said I expect to get what I ordered and I also rarely if ever have gotten the wrong thing. It would be very weird to get something that I didn't order regularly and I wonder if it's regional.

I stand by my previous statements: I expect to get the thing I ordered, purely because mistakes happen so rarely. It's not a thing I've had to really think about before this weirdly passionate debate (myself included). I also don't make deliberately difficult orders at fast food places, because I am not a child.

I think people are mostly talking about order modifications, it's pretty rare to get the wrong thing altogether. To the extent that there are regional differences I think it's mostly economic; affluent suburbs in tight job markets tend to make for lovely fast food service because they're not going to be able to retain enough trained staff.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I'm a reformed picky eater who would order my burgers with just ketchup and cheese. Even back then, if I got one with the works by mistake, I would just take the extra toppings off myself, including scraping off the mustard and mayo. If you're getting them to make you a whole new one because of a few milliliters of pickle juice residue, you're a huge baby, sorry. Even if the pickle flavor completely overpowers the rest of the food (it won't), you'd be better off if you just eat it anyway and finally acquire a taste for them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have no problem believing 99% of goons meekly sit there and eat things they didn’t want like sad losers because only true alphas demand correctness. lol lmao

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I like how you can tell who has actually worked any kind of food service based on their position on this. A fast food kitchen is an assembly line optimized for making the menu items as they are on the menu as fast as humanly possible. Expecting a person who has been reduced to the metric of 'burgs per hour' by the company to accommodate an off-menu order was the mistake, and you can find out who did it by turning off your monitor.

Literally if someone took enough time to ensure off-menu order accuracy it would no longer be 'fast' food and they would be fired. Blame the company that wrote that standard, then recognize they're not going to change and consider going somewhere that you can at least tolerate the menu items as written. Or don't and get demolished in the Peeves thread, I guess.

oldpainless posted:

I have no problem believing 99% of goons meekly sit there and eat things they didn’t want like sad losers because only true alphas demand correctness. lol lmao

I went to a fast food restaurant because I wanted 'food', 'fast'. If I got food then it's Mission Accomplished and we can go home. I'm not so much ordering specific menu items as choosing my entry price for participating in this bizarre failed experiment. If I get what I ordered so much the better, but let's be honest I'm going to be vaguely disappointed regardless and know how and when to take the L.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 19:36 on Nov 13, 2023

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Expecting a person who has been reduced to the metric of 'burgs per hour' by the company to accommodate an off-menu order was the mistake, and you can find out who did it by turning off your monitor.

Yup, you literally couldn't make custom orders at mcdonalds until burger king started offering it as a way to get some of mcdonalds market share, hence the "have it your way" slogan. Kids even get crowns because at Burger King, the customer is king etc etc

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

I like how you can tell who has actually worked any kind of food service based on their position on this.

I've never worked in food service, but I am capable of basic empathy. But even ignoring that aspect of it, who the gently caress has time to go all the way back to the fast food place, park the car, walk in, complain, and then wait for like 10 more minutes to get the bespoke burger experience they paid good money for? Honestly, it's just too much trouble most of the time.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Punkinhead posted:

Yup, you literally couldn't make custom orders at mcdonalds until burger king started offering it as a way to get some of mcdonalds market share, hence the "have it your way" slogan. Kids even get crowns because at Burger King, the customer is king etc etc

Which is how we got this #1 Jam of a commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFZaBvqsh0I

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I've never worked in food service, but I am capable of basic empathy. But even ignoring that aspect of it, who the gently caress has time to go all the way back to the fast food place, park the car, walk in, complain, and then wait for like 10 more minutes to get the bespoke burger experience they paid good money for? Honestly, it's just too much trouble most of the time.

Usually what they do is they receive the food from the window, then proceed to open the bag, open the boxes, open the buns, check the ingredients, verify what is there is supposed to be there, and then (politely in Tiggum's case) complain about what's missing or what's wrong while the cars behind lay on their horns because WE HUNGRY DUDE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just care more about service workers than myself bc I was one and people don’t care about them and I saw many coworkers treated like poo poo

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I find my fast food orders are correct 90% of the time, but I also never request alterations to menu items. I do a quick bag check when I get it to make sure all items/sauces are there which takes like five seconds. Worst case scenario is a "whoops didn't get my ranch packets" or whatever that is also resolved quickly.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I'm just gonna contribute this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMZkukOB8Ig

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Calypso posted:

. What’s the difference, the amount of money you spent and how much they pay their workers? It’s the same principle, you should get what you ordered.
lol deranged that you're so aghast at the idea that how much a person is paid makes a difference. you get what you pay for and that includes level of service

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

And then if I don't receive what I ordered I go "ah, oh well, no problem" and eat the food

Do you still eat your crusts because they'll make your hair curly? I hate to be the one to break it to you, but your parents were just saying things to try to get you to stop making a fuss because they didn't want the hassle. It actually had nothing to do with food waste or starving children.

The kind of person who looks in the bag at their fast food burg and doesn't realize that they paid actual humans to make that for them and they did the best job they could in the four minutes you gave them
I do realise that. That's why I understand that it's possible to simply ask them to fix it. Because they're people, not robots.

lobsterminator posted:

There are foods I love, but there very few foods I dislike.
Well, same. But there are foods I dislike, because no one likes everything. And I won't choose to eat those things. That's not being picky, it's having basic standards. Ordering food is choosing what to eat. I won't choose to eat a thing I don't like.

But even ignoring that aspect of it, who the gently caress has time to go all the way back to the fast food place, park the car, walk in, complain, and then wait for like 10 more minutes to get the bespoke burger experience they paid good money for? Honestly, it's just too much trouble most of the time.
Well, I don't drive, and if I'd left the building I probably wouldn't go back, but fortunately it only takes a few seconds to quickly check that you got what you ordered before you leave. It's even easier if you eat it on the premises.

credburn posted:

Usually what they do is they receive the food from the window, then proceed to open the bag, open the boxes, open the buns, check the ingredients, verify what is there is supposed to be there, and then (politely in Tiggum's case) complain about what's missing or what's wrong while the cars behind lay on their horns because WE HUNGRY DUDE
Drive throughs do seem like a bad idea in general.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I eat the crusts bc they’re good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Corporations will slash employee pay and bloat employee duties until they have the knife edge barest minimum that doesn't drive away customers. The worse the acceptable product is the shittier they can be.

Therefore if you lower your standards as a customer, you are creating worse conditions for employees and are basically scabbing

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Do you walk into a restaurant, blindly point at an item on the menu and then resign yourself to eating whatever appears? No. You order what you want and you expect to receive it.

Killingyouguy! posted:

what, at like a sit down restaurant you really don't say anything if they bring you the wrong order?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like my bread like I like my punk rock.

Crusty.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

Corporations will slash employee pay and bloat employee duties until they have the knife edge barest minimum that doesn't drive away customers. The worse the acceptable product is the shittier they can be.

Therefore if you lower your standards as a customer, you are creating worse conditions for employees and are basically scabbing

I very rarely eat fast food, again, mostly while intoxicated, specifically because this is how it works. I'm not "lowering my standards" so much as acknowledging the reality of the situation. Also I did stop going to one fast food location close by my house because they would make the food completely wrong (not like giving me the wrong thing, no, like burned burgers and cold fries) and I know that you will be utterly baffled by this but they are still open and still lovely.

Again, for the price you paid and the speed at which you received the food, accuracy was never, ever gonna fit in the budget. I used to run a Wawa and even though Corporate was up our asses about everything and wanted everything written down, there was absolutely no way to record a mismake/remake because, and I cannot stress this enough, they did not give a poo poo. The only possible outcome of low accuracy was for the employee to be labeled as slow by the system, then scheduled fewer hours and eventually terminated for nonperformance, and even that wouldn't happen if they played the system correctly. The mechanisms for evaluating or addressing accuracy simply did not exist.

So like I said above, you can immediately and obviously tell who has worked in food service and who has not based on their position on this one topic.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My fast food drive through pet peeve is the person in front of me taking 20 minutes to order their food. Dude! It's McDonalds! They have like 6 things on the menu. How can you not know what you want by the time you get up there?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

MightyJoe36 posted:

My fast food drive through pet peeve is the person in front of me taking 20 minutes to order their food. Dude! It's McDonalds! They have like 6 things on the menu. How can you not know what you want by the time you get up there?

One time while getting lunch with a coworker we went through a drive thru and when they asked for our order my friend said "hold on a second" then texted another coworker to ask what they wanted. He loving expected us to wait there for who knows how long. I was exploding internally but you can't blow up at people this stupid, it just makes things worse so I just asked to see his phone for a second and called them instead of waiting for a text reply. The whole day he made quips about how impatient I was lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

:sever:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I came into the office today because I don't know. Why do people think it's okay to hop into meetings and just pipe their sound through their computer speakers, no headset? We have an open floor plan, people. I may be on the opposite side of the room from you but I can still hear every word of what's going on. I don't need to hear your meetings! Wear your headset!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I get annoyed when I think about how little time we actually have in life and how much is just wasted at a stoplight because some dumb gently caress didn’t press the gas or on hold with the bank or whatever. Literally thousands of hours cumulatively of your life waiting for other people to just do something. Whether it’s standing behind an old woman who forgot you actually need to pay at a grocery store and now have to slowly grab their purse, open it, find their bank card, insert it upside down, take it out, re insert it facing the wrong way, take it out, reinsert it, adjust their glasses, input the wrong pin, ask to retry, input it again, take out the card, put it in the purse, put the purse away and then walk away or just reading boring inane posts on an Internet forum, it’s maddening.