Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Really scared of what kind of difficult to fill contract would be getting that $75k bonus. It's gotta be something like 8 year enlistment in Air Force security forces guarding missile silos (if those still even exist)

Someone's gotta cook the food and unclog the shitters at Thule*.

*which I just learned from Wikipedia was turned over to Space Force and renamed Pituffik Space Base in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Pity gently caress Space Base?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

lmao just lmao if you got stationed to ultimate thule but they renamed it pitty gently caress station.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's actually kind of impressive how Space Force took something cool like satellite-based combat and made everything about it lame as hell.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Moon Slayer posted:

It's actually kind of impressive how Space Force took something cool like satellite-based combat and made everything about it lame as hell.

It's a meta security feature. Like setting your really important door locks to low level security in evil genius. Nothing good in the broom closet , agents gonna pick the interesting locks first.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Really scared of what kind of difficult to fill contract would be getting that $75k bonus.

Someone who has better options.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

:wmwink:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Every day in the Corps is like a night on Fire Island!
Every meal a feast of rear end, every paycheck a fortune of dicks, every formation a parade (also of dicks)!

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

Every day in the Corps is like a night on Fire Island!
Every meal a feast of rear end, every paycheck a fortune of dicks, every formation a parade (also of dicks)!

It could be raining titties and the Corps would still catch a dick to the face.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Steezo posted:

It could be raining titties and the Corps would still catch a dick to the face.

Only cause they ran for it, mouth and rear end agape, screaming no homo

Also a personal idiot moment in line with combat jacking, definitely had to suddenly blue balls myself at least twice due to a fire and a medical emergency getting called away. Can't even get the post watch pre sleep deployment jack finished cause BM3 fucknut doesn't understand how stairs work.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Only cause they ran for it, mouth and rear end agape, screaming no homo

Top tier post/av combo

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

In arguing with an idiot on IG who got butthurt that I said the Medal of Honor prior to WW1 was near pointless (as it was one of the only awards available), I came across this gem.

Lt. Col. Asa Bird Gardiner received his medal by writing a letter to the War Department, asking for one as a souvenir.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bulletsponge13 posted:

Lt. Col. Asa Bird Gardiner received his medal by writing a letter to the War Department, asking for one as a souvenir.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asa_Bird_Gardiner posted:

He received the Medal of Honor for his service in the American Civil War in 1872 but it was rescinded in 1917 when supporting documentation was not found. As a Judge Advocate in the United States Army, he prosecuted the case of Johnson Chesnut Whittaker, a black cadet at West Point.

He was elected New York County District Attorney in 1897, but was put on trial for corruption, and despite acquittal, was removed from office by Theodore Roosevelt in 1900. He refused to prosecute the corrupt Tammany Hall bosses of New York City, proclaiming "The hell with reform!" (or "Reform be damned!").[2]

:wow:

No genocide or banana companies involved, so it's probably still one of the most honest MoH awarded 1870-1917

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, this dude I can respect the hustle.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

In arguing with an idiot on IG who got butthurt that I said the Medal of Honor prior to WW1 was near pointless (as it was one of the only awards available), I came across this gem.

Lmfao

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bulletsponge13 posted:

They were given out during the Civil War as recruitment incentives I think as well.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, Macarthur was nominated 3 times for it, and the only one he got was after WWI.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Discussion Quorum posted:

:wow:

No genocide or banana companies involved, so it's probably still one of the most honest MoH awarded 1870-1917

Was gonna say, if every MoH from that era has been awarded fraudulently the world would have been a better place.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
My favorite MOH is this kid https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Johnston_(Medal_of_Honor)

Your entire unit ran, but you kept your drum instead of running faster.

I saw a source that I can't find that said that his type of drum he would have needed help to remove.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Gorilla Radio posted:

My favorite MOH is this kid https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Johnston_(Medal_of_Honor)

Your entire unit ran, but you kept your drum instead of running faster.

I saw a source that I can't find that said that his type of drum he would have needed help to remove.

Even "modern" knee-kicker drum straps are a nightmare to manage on/off by yourself, so I believe it. Source: poor school district high school drummer from 1999-2003.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Well now I've gone down a bit of a rabbit hole as well. Some ones that jumped out at me from the Indian Wars:

quote:

Fearless exposure and dashing bravery in cutting off the Indians' pony herd, thereby greatly crippling the hostiles.

Actually chased a group of Indians into some trees but then it got dark so they all went home.

quote:

Displayed conspicuously good conduct in assisting to drive away the Indians
Surname misspelled on citation

lol

quote:

Ran down and killed an Indian.

:shrug:

quote:

While in charge of a powder train en route from Fort Harker to Fort Dodge, Kans., was attacked by a party of desperadoes, who attempted to rescue a deserter in his charge and to fire the train. Sgt. Fegan, singlehanded, repelled the attacking party, wounding 2 of them, and brought his train through in safety.

Including this one because it rules, actually.

quote:

Killed an Indian warrior and captured his arms.

"His weapons, right?"

"His weapons, right!?"

quote:

This soldier and 2 others were attacked by 8 Indians, but beat them off and badly wounded 2 of them.

Yes, I am a child.

quote:

Being the only member of his picket not disabled, he attempted to save a wounded comrade.

"Attempted" doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

Also over a hundred whose citation is only "gallantry in action."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I read a book that was every MoH citation from Vietnam. A suspicious number of Privates jumped on grenades. I wonder how many were pushed.

This also lead me to reading about the VC, and learned of Lloyd Triggs, an ANZAC flyer who sunk a surfaced U-Boat on a suicide run so impressive, the U-Boat Captain submitted him for award, saying something to the effect of "he would receive the highest honor in our service". He's the only VC awarded solely on enemy accounts.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I read a book that was every MoH citation from Vietnam. A suspicious number of Privates jumped on grenades. I wonder how many were pushed.

This also lead me to reading about the VC, and learned of Lloyd Triggs, an ANZAC flyer who sunk a surfaced U-Boat on a suicide run so impressive, the U-Boat Captain submitted him for award, saying something to the effect of "he would receive the highest honor in our service". He's the only VC awarded solely on enemy accounts.

Jumping straight from Vietnam to VC made me wonder how many submarines the Viet Cong operated

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

bulletsponge13 posted:

The captain of HMS Glowworm also received a posthumous VC at the recommendation of the captain of the German heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper too-- the rest of the crew was captured or died when the Glowworm, a G-class destroyer, rammed the Hipper after being heavily damaged and set afire by the heavy cruiser's gunfire.

Apparently, the damage included an electrical short circuit in the controlling systems for the ship's siren, so as Glowworm made her final charge, she was emitting a hellish banshee wail before successfully ramming Hipper.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fearless posted:

The captain of HMS Glowworm also received a posthumous VC at the recommendation of the captain of the German heavy cruiser Admiral Hipper too-- the rest of the crew was captured or died when the Glowworm, a G-class destroyer, rammed the Hipper after being heavily damaged and set afire by the heavy cruiser's gunfire.

Apparently, the damage included an electrical short circuit in the controlling systems for the ship's siren, so as Glowworm made her final charge, she was emitting a hellish banshee wail before successfully ramming Hipper.

The Glowworm was backed up by allied survivors; Trigg had no other witness other than his quarry, according to Wiki

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

drat, 15 medals of honor were given out during the 1871 US expedition to Korea, a historical event that until today I had never heard of despite literally doing my senior project on 19th century western/east Asian interactions (tbf the Opium Wars and Meiji Restoration kinda suck up all the oxygen in that time period).

Most of them seem to have been awarded just for getting wounded, but one Marine was crowned 1870s American Military Capture-the-Flag Champion:

MoH Citation posted:

Assisted in capturing the Korean flag from the citadel of the fort

EDIT:

oh what

quote:

Once the bombardment stopped, the Americans charged the citadel, led by Lieutenant Hugh McKee. The slow reload time of the Korean matchlocks aided the Americans, armed with superior Remington rolling block carbines, in making it over the walls; the Koreans even ended up throwing rocks at the attackers.

McKee was the first to make it into the citadel and was fatally wounded by a shot to the groin; after him came commander Winfield Scott Schley, who shot the Korean soldier who had killed McKee.

So the guy who got a cut on his arm gets the Medal of Honor but the guy who got shot in the balls being the first into the fort didn't get a posthumous one? Weak.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 16, 2023

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Moon Slayer posted:

drat, 15 medals of honor were given out during the 1871 US expedition to Korea, a historical event that until today I had never heard of despite literally doing my senior project on 19th century western/east Asian interactions (tbf the Opium Wars and Meiji Restoration kinda suck up all the oxygen in that time period).

Let me tell you how confusing it was to learn of this for the first time in a tiny out-of-the-way museum in Seoul.

Doubly confusing because it was called the General Sherman invasion, so I just had to stand there baffled wondering how the gently caress William Tecumsah Sherman invaded Korea without me learning about it.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Doubly confusing because it was called the General Sherman invasion, so I just had to stand there baffled wondering how the gently caress William Tecumsah Sherman invaded Korea without me learning about it.

Confused Atlanta with Atlantis and kept going through the sea...

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

quote:

wounded by a shot to the groin; after him came

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

The IDF IVF team?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Cummando Operation

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anal probe shocker doubles as a baton if you turn up the juice.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Jonny Quest posted:

The IDF IVF team?

lmfao perfect post/reply combo

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8qLyLmc.mp4

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I have an idiot question for the room.

Hypothetical- before 9/11, AQ had already attacked 2 embassies and the Cole: all of them would be considered legitimate targets in conventional war, as I understand it. Like if AQ were a state actor, and were waging a war on the US, they would be legitimate targets.

Would the WTC be considered a legitimate target? It has a significant government presence and could be viewed as infrastructure to our society, and worse targets have been considered lawful, so would it be a 'legal' target?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have an idiot question for the room.

Hypothetical- before 9/11, AQ had already attacked 2 embassies and the Cole: all of them would be considered legitimate targets in conventional war, as I understand it. Like if AQ were a state actor, and were waging a war on the US, they would be legitimate targets.

Would the WTC be considered a legitimate target? It has a significant government presence and could be viewed as infrastructure to our society, and worse targets have been considered lawful, so would it be a 'legal' target?

I’m dumb but I’d say yes on Pentagon and WW2 yes on the WTC.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That's where I am with it, but am interested in seeing why I'm wrong.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bulletsponge13 posted:

That's where I am with it, but am interested in seeing why I'm wrong.

Its hard to create a good objective definition so potential subjectivity makes you right and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
If you attack America it’s terrorism. If you’re attacked by America you’re a terrorist.

This poo poo isn’t difficult. Don’t make it difficult.