Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sixers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Jeff Green was absolutely miscast as a wing player, he was the small ball center we all needed.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Wiggins is fine, everyone not named Steph on the warriors has been garbage though, but Steph is kinda putting up an mvp-consideration type season to start so he's willing them into being decent.

Fine as in he’s been fine all season or fine in that he’ll round out into typical form?

Because right now he’s averaging 10 points and a single assist on 41/15/50 shooting which is the definition of garbage. Also he looks very disinterested out there

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Fine as in he’s been fine all season or fine in that he’ll round out into typical form?

Because right now he’s averaging 10 points and a single assist on 41/15/50 shooting which is the definition of garbage. Also he looks very disinterested out there

Fine as in "There's problems all over the Warriors and Wiggins isn't a specific problem". CP3 is putting up his worst season ever, Klay looks awful, Kuminga might be playing worse than Wiggins. There's problems all over.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Can someone explain the Rockets to me? Because the Rockets' success feels scary and wrong.

Lots of home games, veterans being played quite a bit, Jalen Green is putting it together, Jeff Green is literally putting up all-nba stats, Sengun is still legit.

There's a correction coming for sure as they get more road games and some guys come down to earth, but if they keep the rotation looking like this they'll be pretty good all year. I think the West is going to take a long time to shake out into actual tiers.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Can someone explain the Rockets to me? Because the Rockets' success feels scary and wrong.

As said above it might be statistical noise given their home game imbalance.

Or Ime Udoka is a defensive genius who has created the perfect scheme for their talent. The Rockets are currently allowing double digit fewer points per game which feels wild given the kind of roster changes they made in the off season

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

FVV has also been very clutch to start the season.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Also Dillon brooks is shooting like Steph curry which obviously cannot hold

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s irritating that the suns keep losing the same way. BOOK WE NEED U

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s irritating that the suns keep losing the same way. BOOK WE NEED U

its like crafting a team around 3 oft-injured super stars was a shaky proposition

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The NBA is trying to see if Thibs can run a man to death within a week

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

The NBA is trying to see if Thibs can run a man to death within a week

I assume Knicks fans are hoping that man is Julius Randle

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lockback posted:

They were pretty good at the end of last year, though KAT was rusty coming off his injury. Now everyone is healthy (Rudy came into last year hurting), they have a year under their belt, and Finch has made some defensive adjustments that seem like they're working. KAT has been up and down, but he's playing great defense and the last couple games he's played great in his role on offense.
Big pieces: They no longer look befuddled in transition D, Naz appears capable of being at least a mediocre wing defender, Rudy seems to trust Jaden enough that he's willing to buy in to a more diverse defensive role, Ant is learning a two man game

Lockback posted:

I think their bench has some room to gel and Conley is probably not going to play like this all season as a 36 year old, but the start has been great.
Roster and style seems built directly towards an old man Conley game. He gets to cover the 3rd or 4th best option, isn't asked to lead the break (and has a shooter who prefers it as the trailer), and provides his most value in engaging guys left out of the offensive flow. There'll be some drop, probably, but it's perfectly constructed.

Shake is the only part of the bench I'm actively worried about, especially as Finch et al have been walking back his on-ball potential. JMac eating dude's minutes is becoming increasingly likely and that's an issue come playoff time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Veryslightlymad posted:

I kind of figured that the Wolves would be a bit better this year, or at least last year's evaluation of them was a bit premature. They made a pretty huge adjustment, Ant is still really young, and KAT has been going through it the last year or so. So there was always a lot of space for the team to grow into, so to speak.

Porter Jr is gone, Brooks plays defense, FVV leads them on offense, Sengun is being featured, the existing players are ok with playing their role (big shout out to Jalen Green and Ime for these last two points).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Man gently caress CP3. I know he's been like that for a while but that kind of play should really genuinely erode his legacy or anyone rooting for him. What the gently caress. I don't care how good he was.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Man gently caress CP3. I know he's been like that for a while but that kind of play should really genuinely erode his legacy or anyone rooting for him. What the gently caress. I don't care how good he was.

I can't remember if it was Kuminga or a different fan favorite player (Warriors or another team) but they did that exact same thing to Dyson Daniels earlier this season. It happens a lot when people dive for loose balls.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Another thing I've learned about the Rockets this year is that I vastly underestimated how bad Stephen Silas and KPJ were.

I don't know what Udoka and the "vet crew" said in the off-season, but everyone is buying into the scheme and playing roles that are suited to them, and generally playing them well. Energy and attention to detail on defense is night and day from last season, and I credit Dillon Brooks as well as Udoka for that. Dillon Brooks has also been the "Team Canada" version early in the season which is a huge boost for the offense. FVV has been fine. He hasn't been super efficient shooting, but he handles the ball well under pressure and has hit enough shots that he needs to be respected as a shooter. He generally sets up everyone else for good shots too, especially Sengun. Sengun is making the year 3 jump with extremely efficient offense and no longer being a liability on defense with good wing defense now. Jalen Green was a guy with scoring ability but no ability to discern a good shot from a bad one. He is now gaining that ability. Jabari is in a situation now where he can let the game come to him. He shows promise on both ends of the floor and seems like he could be doing more, but he's 20, no need to rush him. The bench has some vets that have been giving them solid minutes (Jeff Green, Aaron Holiday, Jae'Sean Tate who can hit threes now) plus Tari Eason as the energy guy. Jock Landale is the only guy getting regular minutes who hasn't really contributed.

Basically, the have the structure of a real NBA team now.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
From Windhorst and the Tims podcast - the clippers starters have an offensive rating of 87 since the harden trade

I knew it was bad but that’s much worse than I would have guessed. On any given night, one of them will shoot 25% overall on high volume.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Reminder, the Blazers started 9-3 last season. First week NBA results don't mean much.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Nearly 10 games in and these are my thoughts on the Pels players:

Zion needs to stop turning the ball over when he gets the reins, box out for and attack defensive rebounds (shoutout Hawkins), and rotate quicker and more consistently on defense.

Ingram needs to stop hunting middies, involve his teammates more (he is capable of it!), attack the rim (been better as of late), take more open 3s (also better recently), and rotate quicker and more consistently on defense.

Hawkins needs to stop turning the ball over so much.

Dyson's also needs to cutdown on turnovers but is otherwise doing well within his role and capabilities.

Jonas just needs to finish layups as dunks more often. Otherwise, I'm fine with his play.

Kira and Seabron are out of the rotation for good reasons despite getting some run earlier in the season.

Robinson-Earl and Zeller I haven't seen enough of to have an opinion. Naji just came back last night and looked ok for him but I also need to see him in this new system.

Matt Ryan needs to cutout the bad fouls.

Liddell is getting some needed run in the G-League.

Nance needs more time to recover before coming back to play. His shoulder isn't letting him be a positive on the court.

CJ, Herb, Jose, and Trey are all very much missed.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Kibner posted:

I can't remember if it was Kuminga or a different fan favorite player (Warriors or another team) but they did that exact same thing to Dyson Daniels earlier this season. It happens a lot when people dive for loose balls.

soggybagel posted:

I’m sorry but I hate Chris Paul. Also Conley got called for the foul here.

https://x.com/twolveslead/status/1723907173925757383?s=46

he pretty clearly intentionally dives into Conley's leg, this is cp3 we're talking about here

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 13, 2023

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The wolves defense right now is what the analytics suggested they should be last year. Obviously KAT missing 60+ games hurt as well as him missing the entire preseason because he had some sort of serious illness like pneumonia or something. Remember also that the Wolves had D-Lo for the first 60 games of the year too. I actually liked a lot of what D-Lo brought. In the playoff series against Memphis a couple years ago he hit some big shots. He is able to generate offense when the rest of the Wolves were cold...but he clearly wasn't the right PG for the team and was not a good defender. Swapping him out for Conley was huge. Rudy also for whatever reason looks way more energetic than he ever did last year. Could this all be down to they had a full offseason/pre-season to work together and marinate? Perhaps?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

ex post facho posted:

he pretty clearly intentionally dives into Conley's leg, this is cp3 we're talking about here

You can actually see him throw a bit of a glance at the legs coming towards him. I get that he was trying to box out space to pull in the ball unimpeded, but he decided to do that by throwing his shoulders into the knees of the player running toward the ball.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Was CP3 like this when he was younger? Like in his hall of fame point god era. Or is it just part of the bag of tricks he added as he got older.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Was CP3 like this when he was younger? Like in his hall of fame point god era. Or is it just part of the bag of tricks he added as he got older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F3tptzEWmM

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Patrick Beverly was right to do what he did.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's always been a massive bitch

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

ex post facho posted:

This poo poo is why there is an exception to the "never cheer a player getting injured" rule for Chris Paul

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

soggybagel posted:

Rudy also for whatever reason looks way more energetic than he ever did last year. Could this all be down to they had a full offseason/pre-season to work together and marinate? Perhaps?

Rudy started last season hurt from playing over the summer. He was moving better by the end but he said he never felt right last year. McDaniels is also legit playing much better (he turned a corner near the end of last season and it showed), as is Ant. That helps the wing defense a lot. They also were playing a lot of Jaylen Nowell (who was awful) and Jmac who will get abused on defense too.

A 36 year old Conley is a better defender, but Dlo is really long and doesn't get hurt on switches so even though the eye test is rough for him defense-wise, he actually grades out as alright. I think the other stuff is more impactful, honestly.

KAT's also playing the best defense of his career, and Finch is using him way more as true 4 and not having him play drop as much which is really helping.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Don't you just hate it when you wait all offseason for ball to start up again, and the team you were considering watching just completely shits the bed, and not in a fun way?

Apologies in advance to Twolves fans - I'm gonna start watching your games more now so they might also hit a wall.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ex post facho posted:

Yes, I know. Same thing happened to Dyson earlier in the season. I see it a lot when people dive for the ball with unnecessary vigor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

Yes, I know. Same thing happened to Dyson earlier in the season. I see it a lot when people dive for the ball with unnecessary vigor.

So diving at a ball with abandon is one thing. CP3 pretty obviously angled his body to undercut Conley to (successfully) get the foul. There was no other reason to take the angle he took.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

So diving at a ball with abandon is one thing. CP3 pretty obviously angled his body to undercut Conley to (successfully) get the foul. There was no other reason to take the angle he took.

Dyson was standing still and a player dove directly into his legs with all their weight. Luckily, Dyson didn't have his feet planted, his knees were bent, and the other player hit him in the shin instead of the knee. But it was still a player flying full speed directly into another player's legs without concerning themselves with the opponent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/no_cut_card/status/1724167488827494829

Draymond was Right.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
You know what you are clicking.
https://twitter.com/twolvesbrazil/status/1723913781430964584

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/NBAPR/status/1724162725377376725

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Squinky v2.0 posted:

From Windhorst and the Tims podcast - the clippers starters have an offensive rating of 87 since the harden trade

I knew it was bad but that’s much worse than I would have guessed. On any given night, one of them will shoot 25% overall on high volume.

The 10-win Process Sixers team had an O-rating of 98.8. The Bulls the year after Jordan left were 92.4. The lowest rating of all time belongs to the 02-03 Denver Nuggets at 92.2.

I am loving VIBRATING right now.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I'm not one of those people rooting for DominAYTON's downfall like a spurned ex but...hoo boy.

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1723933786360950811

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Porfiriato posted:

I'm not one of those people rooting for DominAYTON's downfall like a spurned ex but...hoo boy.

Relaxayton

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Porfiriato posted:

Lol.

NBA N/V : Hatin Ayton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What the? Did he just assume his teammate had it?