Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

OgNar posted:

I hate these bastards as much as the gas poopers

I eventually got to enjoy these critters, some lore bit or post here made me think they don't share space/biome/etc. with Leviathans, so if you're seeing those you're most likely safe.. Minor thing overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vanadium posted:

Meanwhile I saw that Subnautica apparently has wall planters so now I'm gonna have to revisit every place I could have missed scanning them so I can get a little more hypothetical space efficiency out of the Cyclops, after spending an afternoon being disappointed by how bland the edges/outer areas of the map are in most places. It's just so dark out there and when you go through the trouble of bringing light and looking through it anyway, you still don't see anything interesting, so I have to turn to interior decorating.

Haha I went absolutely crazy with packing my Cyclops full of stuff. If you placed wall lockers a certain way, you could pack more on the wall but a row of them would poke out of the cyclops itself, which sometimes made the whole ship kinda buggy. Likewise I had a bunch of trees and stuff all over the cockpit and bed areas that also poked out, helped keep the sub visible with the fruit glowing out of it.

It was way more than necessary even using it as a primary base, but it was fun playing Tetris to fit everything in.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

(hooray I finally found the wall planter)

Roughly how much time into Below Zero should I have found the high capacity oxygen tank? I'm still on the basic tank and I have fully upgraded depth modules for my vehicles so it's starting to feel a bit weird.

I noticed last night after finally building a scanner room that I missed a blatantly obvious data box in a place I'd already searched, and it had another thing near it that I found elsewhere but had searched for specifically in that place as well, so I'm coming to realize I just really suck at discovering things.

Also, is there a non violent solution to the sea monkeys being annoying?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You unlock it by finding the blueprint for the rebreather. It’s located at a depth of 120 meters in the Twisty Bridges trench. It’s near the entrance to the caves that lead to AI storage cube where the transfer takes place.

The ultra tank upgrade is found in sea monkey nests located in caves in the Lilly pad area. You need three.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 9, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Vanadium posted:

Also, is there a non violent solution to the sea monkeys being annoying?
Yes there is and you should have already discovered this by now since you already seem to have found the bridge.
I would say more but dont want to spoil.
Screw it

Investigate the trench and its beeping just outside your lifepod.

After that they stop bothering you and if you have a recipe pinned they will bring you those minerals for free.

Forgot to reply to this

Hannibal Rex posted:

Can I get a rundown of which QoL mods are working with the latest BZ patch and are recommended?

I tried updating the ones I had installed when my last playthrough petered out a couple of years ago and start a fresh game, but it seems like the extra hotkeys mod I used breaks getting into/out of the sea truck.

Just use Nexus and make sure you arrange by Last Updated

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 9, 2023

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Okay thanks for the hints! I'm not clicking the spoilers for now. I do have the rebreather so I guess I extra hosed up somewhere. Time for more backtracking!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Check your PDA’s recipes to see if it’s in there. If it is but you don’t have an option to build it in the Fabricator, then it’s one of the recipes which needs a separate machine to Upgrade.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vanadium posted:

Okay thanks for the hints! I'm not clicking the spoilers for now. I do have the rebreather so I guess I extra hosed up somewhere. Time for more backtracking!

I screwed that up, it’s separate from the rebreather.

Also, build a scanner room and have it search for blueprints.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Heh, yeah, if I'm missing basic loving recipes, I should probably build my scanner room in the starting region and not in the middle of nowhere where the scenery was nicer, huh.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

lmao and there's a habitat builder there too. and windows. i have been wondering about that.

thanks y'all i can breathe easy now

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vanadium posted:

Okay I had the genius idea of going, say, 1500m exactly north of my home base, dropping a beacon, 1500m exactly west of my home base, dropping a beacon, etc, and then doing uhh GPS-style trilateration math to get exact-ish coordinates for my current position at all times just by looking at those distances. This sure won't get me eaten by a Ghost Leviathan and is worth the effort.

I spent like an hour or two yesterday just puttering around the entire world trying to fix my mental map and wow I am bad at this. For some reason probably relating to not having a compass at the start of the game, I had it fixed in my mind that the stuff to the south of the start area is actually east, when it totally isn't. Basically nothing I know of is east. Whenever I go east past the Aurora and its attendant Reaper Leviathans, there seems to be basically nothing there until I get bored. I did find a few new things that way but nothing too exciting. Maybe all the good stuff really is clustered around the locations the radio messages guide you to? But there are still at least two or three things I'm looking for...

Your starting location might be on the eastern side of the Safe Shallows, meaning that past the Aurora there's not really anything of note. I didn't realize during my first playthrough, but it turns out there's a bit of RNG of where the lifepod first spawns, which gives different people slightly different starting experiences. But yea, "Far East" at surface level is not very exciting unfortunately, due to the Aurora being massive and the devs not wanting to hide anything behind it.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

OgNar posted:

Yes there is and you should have already discovered this by now since you already seem to have found the bridge.
I would say more but dont want to spoil.
Screw it

Investigate the trench and its beeping just outside your lifepod.

After that they stop bothering you and if you have a recipe pinned they will bring you those minerals for free.

drat, I got spoiled on this elsewhere and it doesn't make a lot of intuitive sense to me and I would never have realized this is what does it because I've just been avoiding them/not getting out of the Seatruck since before I got to that point. But I also explored most of the map before I got to that point.

I definitely should have picked up my alien buddy a bit earlier, because I already visited like five alien artifacts before then and I guess I gotta go there again now.

Also, I just turned on the "highlight interactable objects" thing and found the seatruck zapper. No way I'd have found that otherwise.

I got the ultra high capacity o2 tank, the two seatruck upgrades and another prawn upgrade, so I'm closing in on having all the good stuff, but I'm still missing things like the alien containment units.

I totally ignored the omega symbol on the map for the longest time because the first few trips to that area, I didn't find anything, and eventually figured maybe that's Margeruit's base, maybe she took over omega base? But I found it now. I still don't know how to get to the base with the struck-through o on the map, I suspect I'm supposed to get there from the awful past-the-bridge area? I tried going back to where you first spawn and building a vertical base to get up on the ledge and just walk there, but there's invisible walls, welp.

PRAWN movement feels so much worse in this game, with energy draining when pressing directions and grappling, but you can still do some ridiculous jumps and above-water vertical movement up cliffs sometimes, it's great and I regret not getting it earlier and instead trying to use the snowfox.

The plot makes less and less sense to me. I guess I found an antidote and cured the dead leviathan and it's unclear whether this achieved anything tangible in the story but it doesn't seem to unlock anything else in the game? And now I'm loving around to get my alien buddy a new body? Feels like selfishly the plot would have been off just as well if I'd just ignored the alien signals the entire time? I did get to the presumed deepest point and got a "you don't have the plot coupons, come back later" message and was a bit disappointed but I guess that's fair.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There's an inlet thing a bit south of where you first jump into the water if I remember right.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Playing on Steamdeck in preparation for an 11 hour flight is making me empathize with people who hate the PRAWN because I can't aim this grappling arm worth poo poo without a mouse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I grew up on mouse/keyboard PC first person shooters, having to control one with a controller is such an alien feeling for me. I’ve tried to git gud, I just can’t.

(I’m also team “invert mouse” 4 lyfe.)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vanadium posted:

The plot makes less and less sense to me. I guess I found an antidote and cured the dead leviathan and it's unclear whether this achieved anything tangible in the story but it doesn't seem to unlock anything else in the game?

I'm going to go ahead and spoil this since its something that a lot of people miss.
Right at the entrance of that inner cave is a PDA with your sister and Parvin talking.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vanadium posted:

I totally ignored the omega symbol on the map for the longest time because the first few trips to that area, I didn't find anything, and eventually figured maybe that's Margeruit's base, maybe she took over omega base? But I found it now. I still don't know how to get to the base with the struck-through o on the map, I suspect I'm supposed to get there from the awful past-the-bridge area? I tried going back to where you first spawn and building a vertical base to get up on the ledge and just walk there, but there's invisible walls, welp.

That's more of a Z-axis issue; it's not on the sea floor and not on the surface. If you find the Omega base, I feel like it's pretty striking.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I found the alien containment unit and true to form it was in a place I'd already thoroughly checked. I think I'd have missed it again if not for highlighting interactables. :smith:

Still haven't found spiral plant parts but so far I don't end any because I found enough prefabricated synthetic fibers.

I'm playing on Steamdeck now and I think my steam side input settings must be hosed somehow. I can't use grapple and drill at the same time in the PRAWN, drilling cancels the grapple, and also I can't rename beacons because pressing any key on the on-screen keyboard removes the input focus from the text field, so any further key presses don't do anything. Still playable but a bit awkward.

My current goal (before continuing with the plot) is to find some sea monkey eggs to repopulate them after I accidentally ran over so many, let's see how that goes.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 13, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vanadium posted:

and also I can't rename beacons because pressing any key on the on-screen keyboard removes the input focus from the text field, so any further key presses don't do anything. Still playable but a bit awkward.

I have this in VR also which I think is because I use ESDF and A is changed to the default Rt Click key.
So any beacon name/locker with an A in its name gets auto canceled.
My beacons tend to have no vowels these days.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think what I miss most in BZ is that I can no longer build minimalist resupply stations by planting brain coral and edible plants.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I think what I miss most in BZ is that I can no longer build minimalist resupply stations by planting brain coral and edible plants.

That's a really cool idea I'd never thought of. [makin a note]

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

General Battuta posted:

Oooooh gently caress yes please :toot:

Also, uhhh... If you could just throw this up the chain of command, I know a lot of Steam Deck users would be absolutely thrilled to have the next game in the series play well on it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I always assumed making the oxygen-providing plants fixed in BZ was a deliberate design choice to limit low-tech exploration, but on the whole, having the freedom to build a daisy chain of brain coral growbeds down to the lava zones, if you really want to, isn't much different than setting up single-room bioreactor bases, except it needs a smaller supply of building materials, and only one blueprint. But it really enhances the free-diving survivalist atmosphere. It's how I explored the jellyshroom caves the first time around.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vanadium posted:

I found the alien containment unit and true to form it was in a place I'd already thoroughly checked. I think I'd have missed it again if not for highlighting interactables. :smith:

Still haven't found spiral plant parts but so far I don't end any because I found enough prefabricated synthetic fibers.

They're easy to miss, because they're inside a thing you've probably seen but did not consider that you should go poke around inside. Also the nature of where they are might make the highlighting interactables not work unless you're inside the thing, even if you could see them.

I'm trying to be vague without spoiling, but those things were impossible for me to find until I looked it up.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
I know I'm super late to the party here, but I just finished SN for the first time. Quick question about the endgame.

After meeting the Emperor and curing the disease, every aggressive fauna ignored me. Not just in the Emperor's aquarium, but everywhere. Is that supposed to happen? Nothing went after me from that point forward, other than a reaper who attacked my unattended Seamoth. From what I could find online, it sounds like only Warpers leave you alone after the cure, not everything.

Also, my food and water levels seemed be stuck maxed out after the cure. Not really sure if that was supposed to happen either.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

They're easy to miss, because they're inside a thing you've probably seen but did not consider that you should go poke around inside. Also the nature of where they are might make the highlighting interactables not work unless you're inside the thing, even if you could see them.

I'm trying to be vague without spoiling, but those things were impossible for me to find until I looked it up.

That was enough to find it, thanks! :sun: That's definitely a cool place and I coulda gotten there way earlier but I would never have thought to check. It doesn't even look spirally!

Lynx posted:

I know I'm super late to the party here, but I just finished SN for the first time. Quick question about the endgame.

After meeting the Emperor and curing the disease, every aggressive fauna ignored me. Not just in the Emperor's aquarium, but everywhere. Is that supposed to happen? Nothing went after me from that point forward, other than a reaper who attacked my unattended Seamoth. From what I could find online, it sounds like only Warpers leave you alone after the cure, not everything.

Also, my food and water levels seemed be stuck maxed out after the cure. Not really sure if that was supposed to happen either.

I had the same thing and it went away after a while or maybe when I saved/exited/reloaded. Then it happened again when I revisited the last area. I googled around a bit and it sounds like a bunch of people think it's a bug connected to taking the PRAWN through the portals but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Vanadium posted:

I had the same thing and it went away after a while or maybe when I saved/exited/reloaded. Then it happened again when I revisited the last area. I googled around a bit and it sounds like a bunch of people think it's a bug connected to taking the PRAWN through the portals but it doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

Well FWIW, that's what I did, so maybe that theory has merit.

Honestly, at first I thought it was intentional, and that the Emperor was doing me a solid by telling an entire ocean to stop loving with me. Which made her way cooler (and her fate extra sad) IMO.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vanadium posted:

It doesn't even look spirally!

I AGREE AND WAS REAL ANNOYED.

Sorry. Yes. I mean - quite.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Lynx posted:

That happened to me too. I misread the dialogue and thought that was INTENTIONAL. So I went out, equipped my scanned, and scanned the sea dragon with ease. Then later when I started to get attacked I very much WTFed and thought I must have just gotten insanely lucky to not get munched by the dragon.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thought for the day:

If you're going to make lead more rare than gold, you should also consider whether lead is part of a blueprint because of its unique physical characteristics, or just because it's supposedly more abundant.

(Yes, I just realized there are no lead deposits to be mined in BZ.)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So I know nobody here would have any knowledge of a new subnautica game in the works, so here's a link to RPS catching Unknown Worlds' parent company hinting at an early 2025 subnautica release.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-next-subnautica-aims-to-deliver-underwater-survival-spooks-in-early-2025

Far enough away that I'm gonna forget about it and be pleasantly surprised whenever something actually concrete emerges.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hope whatever engine they use this time can render something that can swallow a cyclops whole.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cartoon Man posted:

Hope whatever engine they use this time can render something that can swallow a cyclops whole.

That was an engine restriction?

I'm pretty sure modders made that happen

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wonder if any of the Unity fallout of two months ago has affected UW's development.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder if any of the Unity fallout of two months ago has affected UW's development.

I thought they were switching engines for unrelated reasons

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I mean there’s very little to actually do with your Cyclops, and the poo poo it’s useful for is in space too restricted for a fish that size.

To include one big enough to try and eat it would be to put it roaming in open waters where it would mainly terrorize players into either hiding their base in the mid-depth caves and never coming out, or giving up.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The sheer adrenaline of leaving the safety of my local docking base and driving into a giant sea monster-dominated hellhole is the best part of the game though!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

I mean there’s very little to actually do with your Cyclops, and the poo poo it’s useful for is in space too restricted for a fish that size.

To include one big enough to try and eat it would be to put it roaming in open waters where it would mainly terrorize players into either hiding their base in the mid-depth caves and never coming out, or giving up.

Lol, that sounds awesome, do it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

LonsomeSon posted:

That's a pretty effective one sentence pitch you got there, how much is your kickstarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Listen goons I agree that a much-larger Subnautica would rule I’m just pointing out that pasting monsters from it into the original Subnautica’s map would feel extremely bad. Got to have a map (and game) which is about deep open water at least in part.

The idea of a Subnautica where you wake up on a crippled sea floor habitat and the depth progression is jerry-rigging equipment from there to shallower waters has come up, leviathans whose yearlings hunt Reapers for fun and practice to work up to their real prey would be great in that.

Creeping upward through caves until you finally have to break across an open section to get to the next set of safety caves, making GBS threads out decoys and stun charges at maximum rate just to be able to crash your destroyed Cyclops in the next entry area and then having to hunt up poo poo to fix it with.

Anyway by all means send me money! I’m a machinist though not a game dev so I’ll just use it to buy Christmas presents for my kids and weed for myself.