Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for a good "Crusader Kings" type experience where I can rule a medieval (or fantasy ideally) court and do political intrigue w/ characters and stuff, that can run on a mid power laptop.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Nobunaga's Ambition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Romance XIII is on sale rn, is that a good one?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I liked that one a fair bit and people seemed to not like 14 so yeah probably. I mostly played it with the expansion that let you do Officer Mode though

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Looking for a good "Crusader Kings" type experience where I can rule a medieval (or fantasy ideally) court and do political intrigue w/ characters and stuff, that can run on a mid power laptop.

King of Dragon Pass and The Six Ages series
https://store.steampowered.com/app/352220/King_of_Dragon_Pass/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/881420/Six_Ages_Ride_Like_the_Wind/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2278010/Six_Ages_2_Lights_Going_Out/

They're janky but The Guild series
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/28165/The_Guild_Franchise_Pack/

Sands of Salzaar is a diablo/mount and blade a-like that's in a humble bundle right now (reviews say buggy and inconsistent translation)
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/weplay-expo-discover-china-indies

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LLSix posted:

I just discovered Vampire Survivors. I really missed the bus on this one. It's a fantastic travel game, and I think it would also be a great way to unwind after a hard day of work. I want to keep Vampire Survivors for travel though. So what are some VS-like games that are on PC and support co-op?

I've already played and enjoyed both
Disfigure (free but no co-op)
Yet Another Zombie Survivors (fun but only ~10 hours of content. Not as good as the VS but much nicer graphics)

I'll also accept ARPG recommendations, but we've already played most of them
Victor Vran (my favorite from the past decade. The way skills are tied to weapons and builds are tied to cards which you can easily swap in and out makes it really easy to switch to different builds every level and keeps the game fresh. Decent story too.)
All the Diablos
Grim Dawn (fine except for the levels where you aren't allowed to teleport out to sell loot)
Lost Ark (I regret this one.)
PoE (I liked it but it's too finicky for the person I usually play these games with)
Both Vermintides (way more fun than I expected. Well worth the purchase)
Everything Hwurmp said, and if you liked GD you might like Titan Quest or Dawn of War 2

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

• Yes, Your Grace
  • The Telltale Game of Thrones game
  • King of Dragon Pass/Six Ages
  • If CK2 won't run, how about CK1

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Kvlt! posted:

Sims Medieval with mods?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are the best indie "JRPGs" available on steam?

We seem to be in a "golden age" of 90's style JRPGs created by fans of the genre and published through steam, but I haven't bought any of them because the quality always seems like a huge question mark. When I play a classic 90's style "JRPG", I value mechanical simplicity and writing that's more on the grounded, serious side, and great pixel art.

Mechanically, FF6, FF7, and Super Mario RPG are what I'm looking for - they're very straight forward games, and the fights almost never feel like puzzles. Persona 4&5 would be examples of what I'm not looking for. I also don't like RPGs where the combat is very number heavy and very busy, where seeing broken combos produce and endless torrent of 999's is part of the aesthetic.

To try to convey what I want from the writing, Final Fantasy 6 and Secret of Mana are both games that, while I cherish them as classics of the genre, I find the writing, the characters, the narrative beats etc, are all a little too on the nose when revisiting them. FF Tactics and Persona 4&5 would be examples of what I like.

I saw a streamer (Remap Radio) try the Sea of Stars demo and it seems really nice, but what else should I look for? Also, I won't turn down AAA recommendations, but I feel like I'm aware of most of them. The Octopath game felt too much like a puzzle to me - the maps felt constrained and the boss fights felt like gimmicks. I feel like most modern RPGs in this subgenre want to break new ground mechanically, and it's just not really what I'm looking for.

Also, it's important the pixel art be good; when I think of FF Tactics or Breath of Fire 4, those are games elevated by being sprite based games from the PS1 era. But "good" can be a strange criteria for art; if it's retro and intentionally minimalistic but looks good, don't hold back on the recommendation.

I was thinking of picking up Sea of Stars? It's gorgeous, the writing seems "fine", and the biggest complaint I've seen in reviews is that the combat is too simplistic, which I'm counting as a plus.

You know what I'd really love would be something with a modern horror setting like Persona or the remake of Resident Evil 2, but with the mechanics of an earlier FF title. As far as I know there's no such thing? World of Horror looks neat, but it's a little too novel in it's mechanics. I know that sounds like a dumb complaint but I want to play a turn based RPG the same way people like to ready genre fiction and just kind of relax.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

We seem to be in a "golden age" of 90's style JRPGs created by fans of the genre and published through steam, but I haven't bought any of them because the quality always seems like a huge question mark. When I play a classic 90's style "JRPG", I value mechanical simplicity and writing that's more on the grounded, serious side, and great pixel art.

Mechanically, FF6, FF7, and Super Mario RPG are what I'm looking for - they're very straight forward games, and the fights almost never feel like puzzles. Persona 4&5 would be examples of what I'm not looking for. I also don't like RPGs where the combat is very number heavy and very busy, where seeing broken combos produce and endless torrent of 999's is part of the aesthetic.

To try to convey what I want from the writing, Final Fantasy 6 and Secret of Mana are both games that, while I cherish them as classics of the genre, I find the writing, the characters, the narrative beats etc, are all a little too on the nose when revisiting them. FF Tactics and Persona 4&5 would be examples of what I like.

I saw a streamer (Remap Radio) try the Sea of Stars demo and it seems really nice, but what else should I look for? Also, I won't turn down AAA recommendations, but I feel like I'm aware of most of them. The Octopath game felt too much like a puzzle to me - the maps felt constrained and the boss fights felt like gimmicks. I feel like most modern RPGs in this subgenre want to break new ground mechanically, and it's just not really what I'm looking for.

Also, it's important the pixel art be good; when I think of FF Tactics or Breath of Fire 4, those are games elevated by being sprite based games from the PS1 era. But "good" can be a strange criteria for art; if it's retro and intentionally minimalistic but looks good, don't hold back on the recommendation.

I was thinking of picking up Sea of Stars? It's gorgeous, the writing seems "fine", and the biggest complaint I've seen in reviews is that the combat is too simplistic, which I'm counting as a plus.

You know what I'd really love would be something with a modern horror setting like Persona or the remake of Resident Evil 2, but with the mechanics of an earlier FF title. As far as I know there's no such thing? World of Horror looks neat, but it's a little too novel in it's mechanics. I know that sounds like a dumb complaint but I want to play a turn based RPG the same way people like to ready genre fiction and just kind of relax.

Omori
Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass
Bug Fables
Cosmic Star Heroine

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you don't mind Long games I think the Trails series might be right up your alley? Trails in the Sky especially is a ticket right back to PS1 gaming

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

No Dignity posted:

If you don't mind Long games I think the Trails series might be right up your alley? Trails in the Sky especially is a ticket right back to PS1 gaming

I actually just reinstalled the one that I own, Steam says I only have 10 hours in it but I recall it being good...not sure why I bounced off of it, if I recall correctly I didn't like having to move people around on a grid/board for every random encounter.

Out of the earlier list, Cosmic Star Heroine seems like a good bit, I added it to my wishlist, thanks.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Crystal Project maybe?

Or Time Break Chronicles? It's only fights, there's barely any plot, but the fights are very good and tactical and there's like a million characters with very different skills.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 13, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jack B Nimble posted:

I actually just reinstalled the one that I own, Steam says I only have 10 hours in it but I recall it being good...not sure why I bounced off of it, if I recall correctly I didn't like having to move people around on a grid/board for every random encounter.

Out of the earlier list, Cosmic Star Heroine seems like a good bit, I added it to my wishlist, thanks.

If you end up liking Cosmic Star Heroine then also try This Way Madness Lies, which is the latest retro JRPG by the same developer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might take a look at Child of Light.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Some that I've enjoyed:

8-Bit Adventures 1 & 2
A Timely Intervention
Ara Fell
Brave Hero Yuusha EX
Child of Light
Cosmic Star Heroine
Fearless Fantasy
Heroines of Swords and Spells
Last Word
Manafinder
Pale Echoes
Remnants of Isolation
Rise of the Third Power
Skyborn
Slimes
Tales Across Time
The Amber Throne
The Prophecy Lies!
This Way Madness Lies

I couldn't get into Jack Move or Virgo Versus the Zodiac but those are definitely good games that are worth checking out.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 13, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CrossCode is a beautiful cozy game, the combat is maybe slightly on the busy side and is real time, but I'm sure it has loads of speed/difficulty sliders to make it all more sedate

The General
Mar 4, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Crystal Project maybe?

Crystal Project is so goddamn good. The only bad part is the chocobo quintar racing and breeding.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

The General posted:

Crystal Project is so goddamn good. The only bad part is the chocobo quintar racing and breeding.

There is now a “I want to not play the mini game” flag in the settings.

Crystal Project is silly how good it is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Naramyth posted:

There is now a “I want to not play the mini game” flag in the settings.

Crystal Project is silly how good it is.

It looks almost like a pie in the sky game that can't really exist. It's a cross between your Bethesda Style sandbox and a JRPG? Or, if it's better left experienced blind (I can see an element of forth wall breaking in the store page), I'll just toss it on my wishlist.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's basically Final Fantasy 5 with 3D platforming. There's a bunch of jobs that have different active and passive abilities, you can mix and match abilities across classes to some extent, you unlock new jobs as you go, and you're expected to experiment with those jobs and use them to tackle harder enemies and boss fights.

There's a screenshot let's play in progress, if you want to check out the early game without committing to a purchase.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

It looks almost like a pie in the sky game that can't really exist. It's a cross between your Bethesda Style sandbox and a JRPG? Or, if it's better left experienced blind (I can see an element of forth wall breaking in the store page), I'll just toss it on my wishlist.

Nah, there's not much to spoil with Crystal Project. The plot is pretty threadbare and jokey on purpose and it's open about what the game is from the very start.

It plays nothing like a Bethesda game.

Going to chuck in a recommendation for ASTLIBRA as an indie JRPG which is probably going to end up as my game of the year. It has a tonne of tricks up it's sleeve.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 13, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

fez_machine posted:

It plays nothing like a Bethesda game.

Do you go out into a big world and do ~whatever? That's the impression I got from the store page, that you could just sort of step out the door, pick a direction, and go.

Regardless I'm going to play Trails in the Sky for now and wait for a sale, but I've added a half dozen or more games to my wishlist from the recommendations, so thanks everyone.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do you go out into a big world and do ~whatever? That's the impression I got from the store page, that you could just sort of step out the door, pick a direction, and go.

Regardless I'm going to play Trails in the Sky for now and wait for a sale, but I've added a half dozen or more games to my wishlist from the recommendations, so thanks everyone.

Nope, it's more like you can do sequence skips through platforming and do exploration via puzzle platforming. Think metroidvania rather than Bethesda.

There's definitely an order to things that you can break up in your own way.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Mechanically...Super Mario RPG are what I'm looking for

Buddy you ain't gonna believe this

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Woops, wrong thread

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

CrossCode is a beautiful cozy game, the combat is maybe slightly on the busy side and is real time, but I'm sure it has loads of speed/difficulty sliders to make it all more sedate

CrossCode is more of an action RPG than a JRPG, but I still recommend it to anybody. It's an absolutely wonderful game, one of my favourites of all time.

Cosmic Star Heroine which was recommended earlier is also great. The combat is not FF7-level "just hit attack against every random encounter and then use your most powerful spells against the boss" simplistic, but it's not super complex either. Most of all, the game is just fun to play.

For something slightly different, Evoland 2 is surprising fun to play. It's not a JRPG as much as it's an "every RPG-adjacent genre squeezed into one" game. The original Evoland was really more of a gimmick game than anything else but Evoland 2 is actually a proper game and pretty tight.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 14, 2023

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

cmndstab posted:

CrossCode is more of an action RPG than a JRPG
It's both, like Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Secret of Mana, and Trials of Mana.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IMO turn-based combat is one of the defining features of JRPGs as a genre and CrossCode doesn't have that at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: Ys, Tales, and Yakuza are princess raising sims

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I don't like to be rigid and insistent about these things, I love Secret of Mana, but turn based is definitely what I'm looking for.

I'm two hours back into Trails in the Sky and I genuinely can't tell why I stopped playing it in 2019 (according to the old saves).

I wish I had the fluency to express my feelings about the writing, it's breezy and effortless like picking up a comfortable novel of genre fiction (I don't mean that disparagingly), without devolving too far into cliches? It might simply be that the characters have more room to breathe, in their writing? Scenes or narrative beats (ex: a reserved young man is struggling inwardly with some decision or conflict that is as yet unexpressed) could easily be in, say, FF6, but Trails in the Sky might use three screens of dialogue where an older RPG would use one. The end result is language that feels more natural and that conveys more of a voice for the character.

Additionally, I think I might just be feeling more charitable to the setting? It's got a lot of the standards of a JRPG - a surreal and unremarked upon willingness of the townspeople to live next to, or with, "monsters", the ease that you take up adventuring, as though you'd become a merchant marine or something. It's just kind of, I dunno, contrived? It's very much a thing that happens in JRPGs, and if you're not on board it would grate. Anyway, I'm here for it this time so I find it charming instead of frustrating.

I'm still finding that managing a little tactical board for every random encounter, and the number of those encounters, is more than I want, but either because I'm not surprised or disappointed in it this time, or because I'm more willing to curate my experience and simply avoid two thirds of them (and not view that as some failure either of the game or myself), I'm not as bothered by it this time.

Maybe in the next eight hours I'll get tired of it, like I seemed to 4 years ago, but so far it's feeling more like I'm giving the game a second chance and finding it's exactly what I wanted.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

confirmed: Ys, Tales, and Yakuza are princess raising sims
I will now play your games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Has anyone done a decent GTA1-2 style game? Retro City Rampage appeared to be something like that, but had pretty bad driving mechanics IIRC.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kennel posted:

Has anyone done a decent GTA1-2 style game? Retro City Rampage appeared to be something like that, but had pretty bad driving mechanics IIRC.

You might try Streets of Rogue if it still has a demo. It's not exactly the same but it's the closest thing that comes to mind.

Edit: I need to be clearer that I don't think there's any driving, it's just an urban top down 2d game where you do missions.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 15, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Yeah, it's a neat game, but not really what I'm looking for.

-Large open world
-Fast, satisfying driving
-Ability to leave the car (and hopefully decent mechanics for non-car gameplay)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If such a game exists besides GTA I'm not aware of it

Reminds me of the old Mercenaries games from way back though. Those games were great.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Kennel posted:

There's Rustler, a medieval GTA-like, though it kind of is really awful and sucks. Ugh, I didn't realize "Grand Theft Horse" was actually part of its title.
Also American Fugitive, which is kind of like country roads, small-town GTA. I found it really underwhelming.

So to answer your question, no, I don't think so, but maybe one of these could scratch the itch.

credburn fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 15, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Looking for an immersive games that will let me create my own story rather than following an existing one, like Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Stellaris, Aurora 4x or Crusader Kings. Also tried Kenshi, but it's too hard for me. Preferably single player, so no Barotrauma and SS 13.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Szarrukin posted:

Looking for an immersive games that will let me create my own story rather than following an existing one, like Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Stellaris, Aurora 4x or Crusader Kings. Also tried Kenshi, but it's too hard for me. Preferably single player, so no Barotrauma and SS 13.

Keep your eye on Shadow of Doubt, but it's not ready yet

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Szarrukin posted:

MDickie's Wrestling Empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kennel posted:

Don't know if it's decent but https://store.steampowered.com/app/2112820/The_Godfeather__A_Mafia_Pigeon_Saga/

Searching Steam:
There's a demo for this https://store.steampowered.com/app/1482380/Maniac/

A BR https://store.steampowered.com/app/308600/Gene_Shift_Auto/

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 15, 2023