Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

I have never seen anything to suggest that either Hamas or Israel care so much about international opinion that they would sacrifice tangible, real world things in Gaza or the West Bank to affect it. I just don’t believe the PR tail is wagging the dog. Instead I think they do what they do for reasons that make sense to them - not us - that are rooted in their daily lives and local conditions and them try and spin whatever happens in whatever way is most advantageous.

This is why we see Hamas spokesmen denying they killed any civilians on Oct 7 when this all kicked off with highly visible evidence and videos, and the Israeli ambassador showing up with a yellow star on his arm and pissing off everyone at the UN. They’re not doing poo poo because of how we or our governments or fellow citizens might feel about it, how our sympathy might be engaged. We’re not that important. E: for clarity, I give these as examples because in both cases they’re not really effective ways of swaying international sympathies. They’re both really crude.

Iran cares a lot. And if Iran cares, Hamas cares. It’s their whole strategy.
E:I’m gonna walk that back some. I think that Iran is an important force in Hamas decision making and I suspect they are providing the bulk of their propaganda channels.

Borscht fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Alchenar posted:

The conditions in gaza suck, but they aren't untenable at all. There was no great looming catastrophe that forced their hand - that was Israel's problem, things in fact looked so stable that they took their eye off the ball.

Anyway, some public opinion research in Israel: https://en.idi.org.il/articles/51431

They didn’t take their eyes off the ball at all. Bibi propped up Hamas in order to more easily control the West Bank. Their plan backfired.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/amp/

Also the claim that Hamas wanted Israel to destroy all of Gaza is utterly laughable.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

They didn’t take their eyes off the ball at all. Bibi propped up Hamas in order to more easily control the West Bank. Their plan backfired.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-years-netanyahu-propped-up-hamas-now-its-blown-up-in-our-faces/amp/

This is just selective history reading. When Hamas took over Gaza the first thing Israel did was encourage and support Fatah in launching a coup attempt - that failed disastrously. Only after that point did Israel shift to a policy of tacitly acknowledging Hamas's rule. But even then that article's take is ridiculous - it is literally defining 'allowing aid in' and 'not carpet bombing Gaza every time a fire balloon was launched' as 'propping up Hamas'.

e: like really, the idea that the 20 year blockade of Gaza has been about 'propping up Hamas against the West Bank' is not a serious view.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Alchenar posted:

This is just selective history reading. When Hamas took over Gaza the first thing Israel did was encourage and support Fatah in launching a coup attempt - that failed disastrously. Only after that point did Israel shift to a policy of tacitly acknowledging Hamas's rule. But even then that article's take is ridiculous - it is literally defining 'allowing aid in' and 'not carpet bombing Gaza every time a fire balloon was launched' as 'propping up Hamas'.

e: like really, the idea that the 20 year blockade of Gaza has been about 'propping up Hamas against the West Bank' is not a serious view.

Apartheid is untenable.

The New Yorker has a really good interview with a Zionist leader. Quite eye-opening.

quote:

You’ve been part of the settlement movement during a lot of different governments. How do you feel that the current government of the past year has been treating settlers broadly compared with past governments?

I will say that it’s better under Netanyahu. It doesn’t satisfy my ambitions and my dreams and my plans, but there are eight hundred thousand Jews—or settlers, if you want. So this gives me a lot of encouragement that from eight hundred thousand we will become two million, then three million.

When you say that the government’s been better, but it hasn’t realized your dreams, what are those dreams?

Two million Jews in Judea and Samaria. More settlements, more farms, bigger cities.

When you say that you want more Jews in the West Bank, is your idea that the Palestinians there and the Jews will live side by side as friends, or that—

If they accept our sovereignty, they can live here.

So they should accept the sovereign power, but that doesn’t necessarily mean having rights. It just means accepting the sovereign power.

Right. No, I’m saying specifically that they are not going to have the right to vote for the Knesset. No, no, no.

The person being interviewed also asserts the idea that human rights aren’t universal and Palestinians are not deserving of them because they are resisting Zionism. They also make it clear the goal of the settlers is to take over Gaza after they’re done ethnically cleansing it.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-extreme-ambitions-of-west-bank-settlers

BUUNNI fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 11, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Alchenar posted:

The conditions in gaza suck, but they aren't untenable at all. There was no great looming catastrophe that forced their hand - that was Israel's problem, things in fact looked so stable that they took their eye off the ball.
You or I may, sitting comfortably in our homes, look at the conditions in the pre-7 Oct Gaza and declare, "Well, they're not starving, nor crippled by disease; no gunmen stalk their streets looking for the blood of innocents. What is there to inspire such passion to upset a stable status quo?"

But for the average Gazan, and increasingly the average Palestinian, embracing the status quo has meant accepting the inevitable demise of their people under the slow, incessant grind of the occupation. The Palestinians have repeatedly tried peaceful protest to staunch the encroachment of settlers in the West Bank or to call global attention to the prison that is Gaza, but have been violently thwarted at every turn by an Israeli state which is deaf and blind to their pleas and an Israeli population which, to a too significant extent, actively rejoices in the depravation of Palestinian land, liberty, and even life. That some increasingly marginalized Israeli liberals opine wistfully for a equitable peace means little when that peace every day looks more and more like a coping mechanism, a delusional fantasy Israeli liberals tell themselves to absolve themselves of their participation in an enterprise of slow-motion ethnic cleansing.

It's little wonder that some Palestinians look at this situation and choose hope for a better future over either ignoring their own plight or giving fully into despair. The absolute tragedy of that hope is that, for many, the only vehicle for it perceived to be still viable is in the virulent and exterminationist missions of Hamas and other extremist groups.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

The conditions in gaza suck, but they aren't untenable at all.

Oh really. https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2022/03/israels-55-year-occupation-palestinian-territory-apartheid-un-human-rights
https://www.hrw.org/report/2021/04/27/threshold-crossed/israeli-authorities-and-crimes-apartheid-and-persecution

And we'll take a look at the West Bank while we're here: https://www.ohchr.org/en/press-releases/2022/12/israel-un-experts-condemn-record-year-israeli-violence-occupied-west-bank

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cugel the Clever posted:

no gunmen stalk their streets looking for the blood of innocents.

I mean this one is kind of a stretch considering Settler-on-Palestinian violence and how IDF operations in Palestinian territory semi-regularly blast a bunch of bystanders like Al Jazeera journalists.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay I'm responding specifically to the claim that this was a deliberate attempt to provoke a gotterdammerung style final battle over the status of Gaza. Which it absolutely was not.

e: also the Palestinian people might be desperate, but it does an enormous disservice to the leadership of Hamas to just wave your arms and say the October 7th attacks were an act of despair. It was a well planned and deliberate act with a strategy behind it and I don't think it's useful not to engage with the reality of that.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 11, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Careful y’all.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
https://www.btselem.org/gaza_strip/20140209_gaza_water_crisis from 2014:

quote:

Ninety-seven percent of Gazans are connected to the public water-supply system, yet this does not ensure a steady supply of water, as the Gaza Strip suffers from shortages of water, shortages in the electricity needed to pipe water through the system, as well as from severe problems with infrastructure. Consequently, residents suffer deliberate water outages, receiving running water for only six to eight hours at a time: 25% of households on a daily basis, 40% every other day, 20% once every three days, and the remaining 15% (in Gaza City, Rafah and Jabaliya) only one day out of four.

The erratic supply of water forces residents to collect water in containers. These containers are placed on rooftops, yet power outages often mean that the pumps that are to channel the water into the containers are out of commission, forcing residents to collect water in other container, on ground level.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2017/11/the-occupation-of-water/ from 2017:

quote:

In November 1967 the Israeli authorities issued Military Order 158, which stated that Palestinians could not construct any new water installation without first obtaining a permit from the Israeli army. Since then, the extraction of water from any new source or the development of any new water infrastructure would require permits from Israel, which are near impossible to obtain. Palestinians living under Israel’s military occupation continue to suffer the devastating consequences of this order until today. They are unable to drill new water wells, install pumps or deepen existing wells, in addition to being denied access to the Jordan River and fresh water springs. Israel even controls the collection of rain water throughout most of the West Bank, and rainwater harvesting cisterns owned by Palestinian communities are often destroyed by the Israeli army. As a result, some 180 Palestinian communities in rural areas in the occupied West Bank have no access to running water, according to OCHA. Even in towns and villages which are connected to the water network, the taps often run dry.

While restricting Palestinian access to water, Israel has effectively developed its own water infrastructure and water network in the West Bank for the use of its own citizens in Israel and in the settlements – that are illegal under international law. The Israeli state-owned water company Mekorot has systematically sunk wells and tapped springs in the occupied West Bank to supply its population, including those living in illegal settlements with water for domestic, agricultural and industrial purposes. While Mekorot sells some water to Palestinian water utilities, the amount is determined by the Israeli authorities. As a result of continuous restrictions, many Palestinian communities in the West Bank have no choice but to purchase water brought in by trucks at a much high prices ranging from 4 to 10 USD per cubic metre. In some of the poorest communities, water expenses can, at times, make up half of a family’s monthly income.

quote:

In Gaza, some 90-95 per cent of the water supply is contaminated and unfit for human consumption. Israel does not allow water to be transferred from the West Bank to Gaza, and Gaza’s only fresh water resource, the Coastal Aquifer, is insufficient for the needs of the population and is being increasingly depleted by over-extraction and contaminated by sewage and seawater infiltration.

The resulting disparity in access to water between Israelis and Palestinians is truly staggering. Water consumption by Israelis is at least four times that of Palestinians living in the OPT. Palestinians consume on average 73 litres of water a day per person, which is well below the World Health Organization’s (WHO) recommended daily minimum of 100 litres per capita. In many herding communities in the West Bank, the water consumption for thousands of Palestinians is as low as 20 litres per person a day, according to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). By contrast, an average Israeli consumes approximately 300 litres of water a day.

Yeah that's not untenable at all.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ezra Klein actually had a great episode with Amjad Iraqi this week that covered exactly this topic.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Okay I'm responding specifically to the claim that this was a deliberate attempt to provoke a gotterdammerung style final battle over the status of Gaza. Which it absolutely was not.

e: also the Palestinian people might be desperate, but it does an enormous disservice to the leadership of Hamas to just wave your arms and say the October 7th attacks were an act of despair. It was a well planned and deliberate act with a strategy behind it and I don't think it's useful not to engage with the reality of that.

Also I saw this video about Ghassan Kanafani yesterday, who was PLFP, not Hamas, but I think the bit I timestamped is probably still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXWQXal2XI&t=188s

The whole thing is a fascinating watch and it's only 9 minutes long.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Alchenar posted:

Your argument is starting to make a slightly more sense now that you pulled out an industrial sized set of these bad boys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Alchenar posted:

I don't think it was despair, I think it was a calculated move to force the issue, regardless of the collateral consequences. The plight and suffering of Palestinians wasn't enough to get the international community involved, so they figured that the reaction they would provoke might do the job.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Alchenar posted:

So are you no longer claiming the situation in Gaza isn’t untenable?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ZombieApostate posted:

https://www.btselem.org/gaza_strip/20140209_gaza_water_crisis from 2014:

quote:

Consequently, residents suffer deliberate water outages, receiving running water for only six to eight hours at a time: 25% of households on a daily basis, 40% every other day, 20% once every three days, and the remaining 15% (in Gaza City, Rafah and Jabaliya) only one day out of four.

The erratic supply of water forces residents to collect water in containers. These containers are placed on rooftops, yet power outages often mean that the pumps that are to channel the water into the containers are out of commission, forcing residents to collect water in other container, on ground level.

Isn’t intermittent flow like this a nightmare for water treatment? Like, separately from the sanitation issues of having limited amounts of water stored for days in jury rigged tanks in each home, if there isn’t consistently enough water flowing through the mains, the chlorine cannot do its job.

This is stuff that the managers in Flint could have pointed out.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I don't think it's the primary problem when the water being pumped is full of sewage and salt instead of chlorine, but yeah probably.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't really buy this. The whole point of the attack was to provoke a response - Bibi's government are known to be stupid, reckless, and violent.
I'm not sure Hamas thought Bibi was particularly hardline or reckless. That's how the left views him but there are more hardline and reckless people in Israel. To me, he comes across as a very shrewd and Machiavellian politician. They might have also viewed him as weak. He was also messing with the judicial system so he could stay out of jail because he's a criminal. This is an interesting watch into his mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqCWvi-nFo

Cugel the Clever posted:

You or I may, sitting comfortably in our homes, look at the conditions in the pre-7 Oct Gaza and declare, "Well, they're not starving, nor crippled by disease; no gunmen stalk their streets looking for the blood of innocents. What is there to inspire such passion to upset a stable status quo?"

But for the average Gazan, and increasingly the average Palestinian, embracing the status quo has meant accepting the inevitable demise of their people under the slow, incessant grind of the occupation. The Palestinians have repeatedly tried peaceful protest to staunch the encroachment of settlers in the West Bank or to call global attention to the prison that is Gaza, but have been violently thwarted at every turn by an Israeli state which is deaf and blind to their pleas and an Israeli population which, to a too significant extent, actively rejoices in the depravation of Palestinian land, liberty, and even life. That some increasingly marginalized Israeli liberals opine wistfully for a equitable peace means little when that peace every day looks more and more like a coping mechanism, a delusional fantasy Israeli liberals tell themselves to absolve themselves of their participation in an enterprise of slow-motion ethnic cleansing.

It's little wonder that some Palestinians look at this situation and choose hope for a better future over either ignoring their own plight or giving fully into despair. The absolute tragedy of that hope is that, for many, the only vehicle for it perceived to be still viable is in the virulent and exterminationist missions of Hamas and other extremist groups.
It functions in a similar way to religious faith. I've heard someone from the West Bank tell me that in his lifetime that Israel will be destroyed -- and he was looking forward to it. And for him, this was a matter of absolute faith. I see this also expressed in Palestinian solidarity demonstrations with slogans like "In Our Lifetime." It's like a coming eschatological "event" and a belief with considerable power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOd1HqvOwE

Problem is, they're not the only ones who have God on their side. The Israels also say God is on their side, so it seems that God takes both sides. He doesn't take my side though because I'm an atheist.

Another problem is that I'm not sure those delusional Israeli liberals you're talking about even exist anymore. They're not even increasingly marginalized, they're on board with invading Gaza and killing as many Hamas members as they can get in their sights. They're not thinking like Elon Musk that they shouldn't kill too many terrorists because they'll radicalize people, because the people they're dealing with can't possibly get more radicalized than they already are. The only language they understand is force -- and I'm not justifying this point of view btw -- and so the only real lesson that will get through is further loss of territory. The Israeli plan seems to be to take over northern Gaza, and probably not resettle it, but arrange a situation where their troops can reenter anytime they want.

The walls kept Hamas inside Gaza until they didn't. In the meantime, Hamas could build up an army and build rockets and fire those at Israel and Qatar put up the money. Israel couldn't just go and break up a rocket factory without starting a full-blown war. In the West Bank, the Israelis can go in there and shoot some guys, arrest some guys, and the world doesn't pay any attention to it. The Palestinian resistance groups just aren't capable of the same kind of organization there. There's a more constant but lower-level state of friction in the West Bank which is preferable (from this hardass military POV) to this switch between peace and war in Gaza every four years. But that also creates the theoretical basis for a permanent occupation.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 12, 2023

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Isn’t intermittent flow like this a nightmare for water treatment? Like, separately from the sanitation issues of having limited amounts of water stored for days in jury rigged tanks in each home, if there isn’t consistently enough water flowing through the mains, the chlorine cannot do its job.

This is stuff that the managers in Flint could have pointed out.

This is the norm for huge portions of the world. It’s not great but cities have operated for decades in see these exact conditions without constant cholera outbreaks. The expectation of anything but constant running water being unacceptably dangerous is a very western idea to me and I’ve personally lived in two different countries where it’s not only the norm but somewhat of a luxury to get anything more than 2 hours of “pipe” a day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

This is the norm for huge portions of the world. It’s not great but cities have operated for decades in see these exact conditions without constant cholera outbreaks. The expectation of anything but constant running water being unacceptably dangerous is a very western idea to me and I’ve personally lived in two different countries where it’s not only the norm but somewhat of a luxury to get anything more than 2 hours of “pipe” a day.

There is a difference between lack of clean water due to decades long infrastructure problems in undeveloped areas and Israel’s deliberate cutting of supplies like food and water to Gaza as a policy.

The UN, Human Rights Watch, AI, etc, refer to the situation as apartheid. It’s not the same as Gaza just happening not to have clean water, because it’s an undeveloped country.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

There is a difference between lack of clean water due to decades long infrastructure problems in undeveloped areas and Israel’s deliberate cutting of supplies like food and water to Gaza as a policy.

The UN, Human Rights Watch, AI, etc, refer to the situation as apartheid. It’s not the same as Gaza just happening not to have clean water, because it’s an undeveloped country.

Not sure what you’re responding to in my post but yeah I agree with you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Borscht posted:

Not sure what you’re responding to in my post but yeah I agree with you.

I’m more saying that juche’s argument was overstating the capability and breadth of US intel capability. There are so many things that are unknown or only kind of guessed at or that the US gets flat wrong.

I wouldn’t take US gov silence on an issue as evidence that they know something but just elect not to share it.

E: wrong thread reply I think.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 12, 2023

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Borscht posted:

This argument only works if that was the norm in Palestine before Israel cut them off.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

McNally posted:

This argument only works if that was the norm in Palestine before Israel cut them off.

Yeah. There's ways to mitigate cholera but a blasted war zone isn't really a great starting place. At least there are a lot of aid groups active there including a specific UN agency so there's a lot of people worrying about this already.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Any argument that Gaza just sucks, but it's tenable, or "well, they have bad water in other parts of Earth, too" isn't going to illuminate the current situation.

The UN, HRW, and others have been pointing out that the last year or two have been exceptionally violent ones, when it comes to Palestinians being killed or dehoused, prior to the October 7 attack. There has been conflict escalation brewing for a while.

And an argument that there is unclean water elsewhere in the world isn't a great one to deploy when discussing a strip of land militarily enclosed by Israel (and Egypt, in part), which is described by human rights orgs and the UN as apartheid or an open-air prison. Yes, there are other towns and areas without clean water, but if a wealthy modernized country encloses one tiny area and ensures there is no clean water or reliable fuel supply there, they might take it a little bit more personally than if they were part of some large stretch of a community or nation where no one had proper clean water access. It's a bit more agitating when you can look over the fence or use the internet to see that you are being deliberately deprived of resources. The disparity and deliberate policy is a key part of the situation; people are not just saying that that lack of clean water simply makes people become violent.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

McNally posted:

Not at all the point I was trying to make. I’m just trying to say that from a public health and technical perspective, intermittent plumbing isn’t catastrophic, it’s just not ideal. In no way was I attempting to justify the targeting of civilian infrastructure like water systems. The 1 million displaced civilians were presumably unable to bring their water tanks or buckets or whatever with them so they’re in some real trouble regardless of if the system is working even intermittently.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Israel also cheated Palestine out of their water rights. Jordan River runs along the edge of the West Bank? Nope, that's a military exclusion zone, you can't use it. Aquifers under the West Bank? Nope, you signed your rights to that over in the Oslo Accords, but we'll graciously sell you 15% of your water back to you. What's that, population has increased since the Oslo Accords were signed? That sounds like a you problem.

edit: oh, and you're definitely not allowed to transfer water between the West Bank and Gaza.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 13, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/IrishUnity/status/1723442795162009982

quote:

the head of Sinn Fein who is likely to become the next leader of Ireland calls on the government to expel the Israeli ambassador and charge their genocidal regime with war crimes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2023/gaza-rising-death-toll-civilians/?itid=hp-top-table-main_p001_f005

quote:

More than 11,100 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza since Oct. 7, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. While there is no breakdown between fighters and civilians, most of the dead are women and children.

In just a little over a month of war, that amounts to over 0.5 percent of Gaza’s more than 2 million people.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Shawn Fains and Sinn Feins causing Troubles and dropping bombs lately, and it's a pleasure to see

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Part of me says this data will be useful for refuting the endless "well why weren't you doing the same for Yemen/Syria/Afghanistan/blabla" (notwithstanding that I think Assad is a monster and US tax dollars supporting Saudis in Yemen is shameful too)

The rational part of me realizes the people who say this stuff don't actually care

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I wonder how much under-reporting is going on in those graphs. I find it unlikely the toll is really that low for those other wars. If some kid ate a stray bullet in 2004 Afghanistan is it really making it into these numbers?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I wonder how much under-reporting is going on in those graphs. I find it unlikely the toll is really that low for those other wars. If some kid ate a stray bullet in 2004 Afghanistan is it really making it into these numbers?

Syria seems like a major undercount. At least a half million people died in like the first few years of the war.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Syria seems like a major undercount. At least a half million people died in like the first few years of the war.

UN has the estimate at around 308,000 civilians dead as a result of conflict in Syria as of 2022.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/stories/2023/05/behind-data-recording-civilian-casualties-syria

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

UN has the estimate at around 308,000 civilians dead as a result of conflict in Syria as of 2022.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/stories/2023/05/behind-data-recording-civilian-casualties-syria

12k deaths would be around 4% of that total.

Which does seem too low. Like Gaza, Syria (indeed, most of the middle east) has a very young population. I'm not sure what the definition of child is but if it's under 18 it would include a sizable number of fighters which would also push that number up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

12k deaths would be around 4% of that total.

Which does seem too low. Like Gaza, Syria (indeed, most of the middle east) has a very young population. I'm not sure what the definition of child is but if it's under 18 it would include a sizable number of fighters which would also push that number up.

I cannot personally vouch for the specific numbers in that chart. If you read the WaPo article you can click their references.

UNICEF puts the number of dead children in Syria at 13,000 instead of 12,000 as of spring 2022.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah I have an extremely hard time believing that only 4% of the ~300,000 civilians killed were children, especially when Assad and ISIS were specifically targeting built-up residential areas.

This reminds me of how the UN states that 10,000 civilians or whatever have died in the Ukraine war so far, when there were probably 30-40k that died in Mauripol alone.

The difference with Gaza is that there is a local health ministry that's actually keeping count. The WaPo article is taking unrepresentative samples across different populations and trying to draw comparisons that can't be drawn. That's not to downplay what's happening in Gaza, but it's also a bit of a disservice to the other conflicts they're comparing it to.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 13, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of the differences with Syria is that 2.5 million refugees left, with a large portion being women and children. But refugees can’t really leave Gaza.

If someone has other numbers, feel free. I am just going with what the UN and humanitarian aid organizations have as the best estimate.

One of the anti-government Syrian groups puts the number of children killed in Syria around 25,000 as of 2022, rather than the 13,000 estimated by UNICEF.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1723634283888161042

https://x.com/AvdullahYousef/status/1723717610288656757?s=20

lmao these are the clowns that people believed about decapitated babies and PIJ rockets hitting hospitals, don't ever give them the benefit of the doubt

e]not aimed at anyone in particular, just a big :psyduck:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1723634283888161042

https://x.com/AvdullahYousef/status/1723717610288656757?s=20

lmao these are the clowns that people believed about decapitated babies and PIJ rockets hitting hospitals, don't ever give them the benefit of the doubt

e]not aimed at anyone in particular, just a big :psyduck:

Its very strong Sims 3 energy.