Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Guardians 3 just made $850 million. It seems pretty unlikely that the comic book movie concept was a bubble that just collapsed the day after it released.

This is a good point. When the larger MCU meta-plot has completely lost all forward momentum and is lost in the wilderness, when quality of scripts and special effects is in the loving toilet, the movies must support their own sequels in the way that Guardians did. Captain Marvel was very boring MCU movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Superhero fatigue is real.

Reviews are pretty mixed. Not sure there is going to be a huge word of mouth bump. Audience scores are also kind of mixed.
Seems like the sort of movie where positive word of mouth amounts to "it's better than the trailers made it look, so watch it when it comes to Disney+ for free in a few months" not "gotta see this in theaters"

Guardians 3 just made $850 million. It seems pretty unlikely that the comic book movie concept was a bubble that just collapsed the day after it released.
Guardians 3 is the least superhero-y of the comic book movies lately.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m sure misogyny and anti wokeness plays SOME factor in word of mouth and enthusiasm. Not enough to make or break the film but it’s in the mix.

I’m also sure the strike and the lack of any actor promotion played a factor. I imagine there’s another universe identical to ours except where Brie Larson did the Hot Ones with Iman Vellani and the movie made a fortune.

I’m also sure there’s truth to the super hero fatigue theory. Or the whole Disney+ tv show or Phase 4 “lostness” theory. It seems clear the Marvel brand isn’t a default license to print money anymore.

I also think there’s the general post Covid state of cinema where people will go out for event films but they’ll wait for everything else to hit streaming. And that goes back to the idea that “Marvel” is no longer an event by default.

Basically it seems like a lot of factors which ended up here. Which you know. Is how the world works. But also the hand wringing feels silly to me. Besides the people clearly giddy to predict THIS is the end it was already public knowledge before this that Marvel was regrouping and addressing some of these changes/problems and slowing down production to adjust. So really it’s just a bummer if it hurts Velanni’s future or something.

I’m actually very excited to see it. But also I don’t go to theaters anymore so I’ll wait for Disney+ and do a little marathon of the first film, WandaVision, and Ms Marvel as I do. 🤷‍♂️

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just going by social media people seem to be pretty happy that the marvels is doing poorly because it's signaling the time of marvel's heyday is over and they just are flat out not interested in seeing any marvel stuff anymore. they aren't interested in whether the movie itself is any good, and they don't care that the leads are women, it's pure burnout

site fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 13, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There is unquestionably a big “the end is here!!” vibe. Which you just kind of have to laugh at.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

just going by social media people seem to reveling in the fact that the marvels is doing poorly because they're tired of marvel period. they don't even care about the movie itself

I like Marvel stuff but I can see this angle very easily. The popularity of easily digestible superhero stuff in the movie market has really sucked the air out of other genres, since risk averse cokehead execs think "why should I greenlight (X new idea) when i could just print myself millions of dollars with Captain Kickpuncher 5: The Lost Dawn of Rising Origins?" If you aren't a turbonerd with an endless appetite for supers stuff, you're going to start seeing every superhero movie as an opportunity cost against the kinds of films you would like to see more of.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Guardians 3 was also the last hurrah for the last surviving characters from when the MCU was still shiny and new. I wouldn't be shocked if a lot of people considered GotG3 to be their last stop on the MCU train. It's kind of hard for Marvel to maintain the same momentum when they seem determined to shut the door on so many characters they got people to fall in love with. They really needed to keep some of the "Phase 1" characters around and involved in the movies. Technically Nick Fury, Thor, Hawkeye and Hulk are still kicking around, but are they?

Something else — don't shunt the major transitions to Disney+ where they're easy to miss. It's super-cool that Sam Wilson became Captain America, but that should have happened in a movie. If the Hulk has a son, that's a big deal — too big to reveal as a throwaway joke at the tail end of the She-Hulk show. If you want Ms. Marvel to be a pillar of your universe going forward, introduce her in a Spider-Man movie. It might have made more sense to leave the major events on the big screen and keep the TV stuff focused on peripheral characters like Moon Knight or Daredevil who don't really fit into the meta-narrative. It seems like they realized this by turning the Armor Wars series into what will essentially be Iron Man 4, but it might be too late.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There were a lot of factors working against this movie.

-Limited promotion due to the actors' strike
-Main character is just not as well known as even an Ant-Man, and on top of that the other two main characters have really only been in MCU TV stuff until this point.
-Marvel burnout (maybe)
-People are just not going to the theater in general as much as they did pre-Covid.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Superhero fatigue IS REAL absolutely, and these aren't the big popular characters

But if anyone saying there's no bigotry in play with regards to any of the three leads in The Marvels, they either have their head in the sand or are themselves a chud

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I strongly doubt that superhero movies being in decline will somehow lead to a resurgence in other genres, I think it'll just kill off a big swathe of cinema as a whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

I strongly doubt that superhero movies being in decline will somehow lead to a resurgence in other genres, I think it'll just kill off a big swathe of cinema as a whole.

People are just going to transition over to toy and video game movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf to nick fury he's been in two projects this year

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think it's superhero fatigue, Spiderverse is a big hit and Miles and Gwen in particular are hugely popular characters. I think it's specifically the MCU not really being able to endear people to the newer crop of characters, anti-woke controversy or not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Re: the 'anti-woke' people- I don't think that was a significant factor. Those people are loud but they were not going to go and see this anyway.

Black Panther 2 had a female lead and made $181 million opening weekend. Even Black Widow, which came out as Covid was still a major problem, opened with $80 million. I think it was already brought up, but The Eternals managed $71 million.

This will probably not repeat when Deadpool 3 comes out in July of next year, since that's the next film release assuming no more delays.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The fascists have won. Disney has fallen

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Captain Marvel has only appeared in post-credit scenes since Endgame and they even yada-yada'd 30 years of her life. She's undercooked as a lead and they teamed her up with two characters who had only appeared in TV shows, which is a big problem people have with the MCU. Deadpool 3 will probably be a big hit so Captain America 4 would be the one to really read into.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Westerns are coming back, baby

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
People see a sequel if they like the first one. Marvel's trick was making every movie a sequel. Captain Marvel made money because it was seen as a sorta sequel to the very successful Infinity War. This is a sequel to that movie, which people didn't actually like nearly as much.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Mr Hootington posted:

The fascists have won. Disney has fallen

It’s the super popularity of guys like the Quartering, they’ve really gotten to heartland America with their “women bad” and “diversity bad” message. They’ve won. We’ve all been red pilled.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I know it’s goons so you’re never gonna have a reasonable conversation without people mocking extreme takes on it. But like it think it’s entirely logical that there’s plenty of assholes in this world who love their power fantasy action films but not when it’s women or nice Pakistani people.

That doesn’t mean it tanked the movie. Just that there’s lots of different factors that play into the millions of people who do or don’t go to see a movie. It’s not the one thing that happens to fit your own perspective that did it all.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I just feel bad for Iman. Now the question is, do I feel bad enough to go see it in a cinema alone rather than wait for D+?

Not sure. The impressions in the thread seems good but Captain Marvel was really boring and I don't know if i want to sit through that even for some Ms Marvel scenes. I'd like to live in the alternate universe someone mentioned where Ms marvel is instead in a spiderman movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiminewt posted:

I just feel bad for Iman. Now the question is, do I feel bad enough to go see it in a cinema alone rather than wait for D+?

Not sure. The impressions in the thread seems good but Captain Marvel was really boring and I don't know if i want to sit through that even for some Ms Marvel scenes. I'd like to live in the alternate universe someone mentioned where Ms marvel is instead in a spiderman movie.

It's very different in tone from Captain Marvel. It's really more like Ms. Marvel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Never mind

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
e: ok nm

site fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 14, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

live with fruit posted:

It's very different in tone from Captain Marvel. It's really more like Ms. Marvel

Her parents and brother are fairly major characters in the movie, so much so that they get the big fancy credit treatment at the end.

I'm usually not the biggest movies need promotion from the stars booster but they definitely would have done better if they could have shown off the chemistry the cast has together.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Her parents and brother are fairly major characters in the movie, so much so that they get the big fancy credit treatment at the end.

I'm usually not the biggest movies need promotion from the stars booster but they definitely would have done better if they could have shown off the chemistry the cast has together.

Especially since it was so many characters' big screen debut.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iman just really deserved to have her red carpet moment

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

iman just really deserved to have her red carpet moment

Yep. This is what sucks about all of this. She is a good young actor and I hope this doesn't count against her.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Yep. This is what sucks about all of this. She is a good young actor and I hope this doesn't count against her.

Hopefully this doesn't negatively impact Young Avengers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Hopefully this doesn't negatively impact Young Avengers.
I'm still wondering if that will actually be a thing or not. It could just be a part of the Avengers movies that are supposed to conclude the Kang stuff and not its own thing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think one issue is that Marvel hasn't really been paying off teases, so it's difficult for people to get excited about. What was the ending of Shang Chi all about? Where was that leading? Blade and Black Knight from Eternals? Nothing. What's next with Spider-Man? Nobody knows. The end of the last Dr. Strange? Is that leading to something or what? Is Thor gonna show up again? It's pretty messy.

If I were Marvel I'd move things around to get Spider-Man and the Young Avengers out there quick, along with the X-Men. I do think the Young Avengers is still gonna happen, because they've hired Steinfeld and Newton who are two really great young actresses that are in pretty high demand. Maybe you can add Spider-Man to the mix. But getting a core group of people that audiences know they'll see regularly and not like, once every two or three years is important.

Anyway, my take on the box office reception is that it was a mix of a lot of things going against the film and some of it has nothing to do with the quality of the movie but more the timing of the release, and it's nothing to really panic over. Deadpool 3 being next up is perfect for them because that will draw an audience, and hopefully whatever they put out after that will help keep momentum going.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Marvel has had a very serious problem of previewing or alluding to tons of cool poo poo happening offscreen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
My concerns with Young Avengers are that Kate's from TV, Kamala's from TV and this huge bomb and Ant-Man, Jr. is also from a poorly received movie. Add in that it apparently will star three women and my lack of trust in Disney to not take the wrong lessons from The Marvels' struggles and I'm a little nervous.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I think one issue is that Marvel hasn't really been paying off teases, so it's difficult for people to get excited about. What was the ending of Shang Chi all about? Where was that leading? Blade and Black Knight from Eternals? Nothing. What's next with Spider-Man? Nobody knows. The end of the last Dr. Strange? Is that leading to something or what? Is Thor gonna show up again? It's pretty messy.

If I were Marvel I'd move things around to get Spider-Man and the Young Avengers out there quick, along with the X-Men. I do think the Young Avengers is still gonna happen, because they've hired Steinfeld and Newton who are two really great young actresses that are in pretty high demand. Maybe you can add Spider-Man to the mix. But getting a core group of people that audiences know they'll see regularly and not like, once every two or three years is important.

Anyway, my take on the box office reception is that it was a mix of a lot of things going against the film and some of it has nothing to do with the quality of the movie but more the timing of the release, and it's nothing to really panic over. Deadpool 3 being next up is perfect for them because that will draw an audience, and hopefully whatever they put out after that will help keep momentum going.
I would assume after Deadpool 3 it's Cap 4. Cap 4 was supposed to come out before DP3 but they are doing reshoots now. After that it's supposed to be Thunderbolts followed by Blade in 2025.

But yeah I think they've suffered from a total lack of direction during the previous couple of years. A lot of the post-credit teases were for what is ultimately going to be Thunderbolts, but yeah I've never heard what the deal with that Shang-Chi post-credit thing was intended to be.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

STAC Goat posted:

I know it’s goons so you’re never gonna have a reasonable conversation without people mocking extreme takes on it. But like it think it’s entirely logical that there’s plenty of assholes in this world who love their power fantasy action films but not when it’s women or nice Pakistani people.

That doesn’t mean it tanked the movie. Just that there’s lots of different factors that play into the millions of people who do or don’t go to see a movie. It’s not the one thing that happens to fit your own perspective that did it all.

Not responding just to you, but there are a million reasons not to see a movie so any justification can work. The question to me is why did Marvels do so much worse than Captain Marvel, and saying "It has a female lead" doesn't really work. "It has Black and Pakistani women" also isn't a great reason when Capt Marvel was lead by Larson and Jackson, you're just talking about highly specific racists at that point, which is weird.

Capt Marvel riding off Avengers hype and just not inspiring much loyalty to the character, plus a lack of actor engagement makes some sense to me. Marvels is doing Black Adam numbers right now. But also, it seems like people just aren't watching anything right now.

I wonder how WB is feeling about Aquaman 2 coming out soon...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

StumblyWumbly posted:

, it seems like people just aren't watching anything right now.

This is a good point, too. As bad as the numbers are, it still whipped the poo poo out of anything else that came out this weekend

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, that's another thing, Disney did a good job of training everyone to not expect anything to get a resolution, so like, why see a specific movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think Marvels not breaking the bank is going to derail any of their storytelling plans, but I do hope they realize that they either need to start paying off the previews put in the movies or just stop doing that and have the movies be their own thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't it also true that Marvel (well, Disney) have been wildly overspending on their movies as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

My concerns with Young Avengers are that Kate's from TV, Kamala's from TV and this huge bomb and Ant-Man, Jr. is also from a poorly received movie. Add in that it apparently will star three women and my lack of trust in Disney to not take the wrong lessons from The Marvels' struggles and I'm a little nervous.

There is nothing stopping them from including other characters in it as well, even if they're in the background.

The easiest solution to me though is to include Spider-Man in a Young Avengers project.