Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

If gas stations were good and had decent food/facilities then more people would actually go to them.

Yeah I mean now that I have an EV I actually like stopping at the large food/rest/gas mega stations are kind of enjoyable because I get to rest and eat and not have to deal with the actual pumping of gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As a rural new Englander who had the power out a lot growing up, I don’t think I’d be willing to move to electric heat without either some kind of battery storage or other backup.

While you won't be heating your whole house off it V2L on my father's Atto 3 works pretty well - it'll run anything that'll work on a normal 230v 10amp socket

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

That Works posted:

Getting big “I don’t need to wear a mask I dont know anyone that died of covid anyway” vibes.

I have had three relatives die of COVID and despite this my stupid cousin and his wife (whom both have survived loving brain cancer) refused to mask up but they're both huge conservatives. So in short, go gently caress yourself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As a rural new Englander who had the power out a lot growing up, I don’t think I’d be willing to move to electric heat without either some kind of battery storage or other backup.

We've had the power go out here maybe three times in these past three decades and it's nice to still be able to cook.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Love to fill my home with unventilated combustion products for warmth, gonna either meet a ghost or become one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

I'm kind of embarrassed that I like this guys videos because it is some hard nerd poo poo but I do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxB7zA-e4Y

why would you ever be embarrassed about liking the best channel on YouTube?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

fondue posted:

I have had three relatives die of COVID and despite this my stupid cousin and his wife (whom both have survived loving brain cancer) refused to mask up but they're both huge conservatives. So in short, go gently caress yourself.
Do you really not see how your original post (that basically went "I know there are studies saying burning poo poo indoors may be bad but I personally haven't noticed a problem in 30 years so :lol:") might've been read?

Like, sure, elevated levels of nitrogen dioxide and other combustion byproducts in a residential indoor environment aren't anywhere near covid level dangerous, but they undeniably have adverse health effects in the long term. You can mitigate the problem with improved ventilation, but it's not going to go away entirely.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 14, 2023

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

TheFluff posted:

Do you really not see how your original post (that basically went "I know there are studies saying burning poo poo indoors may be bad but I personally haven't noticed a problem in 30 years so :lol:") might've been read?

Like, sure, elevated levels of nitrogen dioxide and other combustion byproducts in a residential indoor environment aren't anywhere near covid level dangerous, but they undeniably have adverse health effects in the long term. You can mitigate the problem with improved ventilation, but it's not going to go away entirely.

No, I get it. I sort of regret posting it but all of the posts (other than the one with the study) came across as a bit unhinged, like seeing one of those magazine warnings against AC electricity from the turn of the century.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The conversation got started talking about emissions and to go back there for a second, one of the challenges with natural gas for residential use is that methane, one of the component gases of natural gas, has a very high global warming potential (i.e. bad for climate change). This makes leaks from the natural gas system an important factor when considering relative emissions from one source or another.

The process of getting natural gas to your home is broadly production -> processing -> transmission -> distribution -> your house. All of these steps involve leakage, but the distribution system is particularly leaky. And so when looking at the greenhouse gas "budget", it is pretty clear that any serious attempt to reduce greenhouse gas emissions will eventually require shutting down the natural gas distribution system. This is why you have localities putting in bans on new build natural gas appliances.

And so that should probably be considered as part of the process of replacing an aging natural gas appliance, as the future of home natural gas service isn't certain. And with many places that currently have home natural gas service preferring to use economics-based climate policy, individual communities are likely to see their natural gas service shut off due to economic conditions that may not leave residents with much forewarning. You might just get a letter saying you've got 30 days until they shut off the gas to everyone, thanks for being a great customer.

To bring this back to EVs, I've been a few places where there was 1 gas station serving a rather geographically large or isolated community. it wouldn't be shocking to see those remote stations shutting down earlier as part of a transition away from fossil fuels potentially stranding ICE vehicle users in the same way EVs might be stranded today.

(an interesting note, propane is not a serious greenhouse gas at all which means all those rural customers on propane heat might be ahead of the curve.)

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

And so that should probably be considered as part of the process of replacing an aging natural gas appliance, as the future of home natural gas service isn't certain. And with many places that currently have home natural gas service preferring to use economics-based climate policy, individual communities are likely to see their natural gas service shut off due to economic conditions that may not leave residents with much forewarning. You might just get a letter saying you've got 30 days until they shut off the gas to everyone, thanks for being a great customer.

This strikes me as unlikely, can you back that up with anything? Utilities are pseudo-public and cutting off people's heating is...against public policy to put it lightly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Come try and get your hands on my 500 gallon underground gas tank, city slicker

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

This strikes me as unlikely, can you back that up with anything? Utilities are pseudo-public and cutting off people's heating is...against public policy to put it lightly.

Many utilities, especially in the natural gas market, are privately held. You can look towards examples like Santa Nella, where the private company that provided their gas went bankrupt. Luckily for the citizens of Santa Nella, the California Public Utility Commission is an empowered regulator and was able to require PG&E (another for-profit utility) to not only provide gas service to the community, but also offer electrification as an alternative:

quote:

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/news-and-updates/all-news/cpuc-ensures-energy-reliability-for-santa-nella-community-2023

SNME, Inc., a private corporation that owns the underground natural gas pipelines and customer meters in Santa Nella and provides sub-metered natural gas service to customers, informed the CPUC in May 2022 that it intends to cease operations. The CPUC promptly opened a proceeding to explore safe and reliable energy options, ranging from new direct gas service to full electrification for the entire community.

The decision directs Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), which already provides electric service to the community, to install new natural gas and electric infrastructure, and to also give each homeowner the option to fully electrify their home and forgo natural gas service. At a community meeting held in Santa Nella in February, scores of residents expressed the desire for new, safe energy investments to replace their existing, aging infrastructure.

But not everyone has such a well empowered utility regulator. And more broadly, the reality is that shutting down the residential natural gas system is required to meet climate goals. In 10 years we're unlikely to see CPUC or other regulators offer continued gas service as an option if the local for-profit utility goes bankrupt because it will go directly against their climate goals.

quote:

https://law.stanford.edu/2023/05/21/what-should-we-do-when-the-natural-gas-company-leaves-town/

The Santa Nella decision was therefore made against the backdrop of substantial efforts by state regulators to orchestrate a shift away from the use of natural gas in California’s buildings. As the CPUC recognized when it initiated a long-term planning process for the state’s natural gas system, “state and municipal laws concerning greenhouse gas emissions will result in the replacement of gas-fueled technologies and, in turn, reduce the demand for natural gas.” In other words, gas is and should be on its way out to achieve California’s climate goals – but that recognition was absent from the Santa Nella decision.

Also running through the Santa Nella investigation was a fundamental tension: the state needs to reduce its demand for natural gas while also fulfilling a utilities’ legal obligation to serve customers in their service territories. In exchange for operating as a monopoly, investor-owned utilities must provide every customer in their territory with essential services, such as electricity or natural gas. In recent years, the obligation to serve has emerged as a barrier to building electrification in California because of a lack of legal clarity about whether the obligation is satisfied by providing the same underlying end uses – like cooking, water heating, and laundry – or if customers have a continuing and permanent right to receive natural gas service specifically, even if those services can be provided by all-electric appliances. California legislators could avoid such tension in the future by clarifying that in situations like this one, electricity service is an adequate substitute for gas service.

The Risks of a Half-Step Toward Electrification

California’s policy goals are in tension with the Santa Nella decision’s requirement that PG&E update the electrical system throughout the affected community and install new gas infrastructure sufficient to serve the entire area, no matter how many residents ultimately decide to electrify their homes. For the affected residents, the default option of their utility upgrade will be to provide both new gas and electric service. This ‘default’ is due in large part to the CPUC’s recognition of the very short timeline to find a way to provide essential utility service to the community; however, the CPUC has not discussed the option to electrify with the same urgency, as the state’s policy goals would suggest is necessary.

Meanwhile, installing new natural gas infrastructure on an accelerated timeline will reduce the community’s ability to electrify by 2035 and will increase the likelihood that community members will be left with rising natural gas bills. As more homeowners and businesses disconnect from the state’s natural gas system, the costs of maintaining that system – which largely won’t change – will increase per person for the decreasing number of customers still reliant on gas. Those costs are likely to fall disproportionately on low-income individuals and renters. And if a new natural gas system is installed in Santa Nella, it will probably become financially “stranded” in the short window of time that remains to meet California’s climate goals.

Obviously a planned phaseout is better for people and communities, but when purchasing a 30-year lifetime appliance the potential risk of an unplanned phaseout should be considered. The peace of mind knowing future-you won't have to deal with the hassle of replacing a bunch of gas appliances in a rush is worth something.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 14, 2023

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

grahm posted:

Was this recently? I also live in Oregon (Portland, my electric is PGE) and I would take this deal if it exists for me.

Edit: Think I just found it. Pretty good deal. I'm gonna see if it works for my setup.

It was a couple of years ago and now they're $600 but still a deal IMO. Plus now you can get a 30% federal tax credit too:
https://eto.gpconservation.com/

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

(an interesting note, propane is not a serious greenhouse gas at all which means all those rural customers on propane heat might be ahead of the curve.)

Some heat pumps even use propane as the refrigerant because the GWP is so low!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This image rules. Is this a legit 1900s drawing? It seems so over the top in its message, but I love it either way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fondue posted:

Yawn.

Ask your cousin for their take on gas appliances.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cruft posted:

This image rules. Is this a legit 1900s drawing? It seems so over the top in its message, but I love it either way.

Don't forget the electric grid was a loving nightmare in the early 1900s, before standardizing around a 4kV+ AC distribution hub.

Manhattan, 1903, supposedly.

Also, ICEs are copying EVs, my rental F-150 uses a motor to move the shift lever slowly and jankily to park when I hit the stop button before I put it in park from force of habit.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

cruft posted:

I think 1889, I first thought it was an anti-AC drawing but it was actually against current in general. The history of how current was distributed is kind of bonkers, before there were standards they'd just run a line to your house. If someone near you had a line they'd run it from their house to yours. You wouldn't get grounding or anything!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Swapped the EV6 from the stock summer Goodyears to the new-ish Hankook Ion Evo SUV and they're a nice overall upgrade. They feel stickier in all temps but the softer sidewall takes the edge off the suspension tuning so it rides better in normal and feels more stable in GT. They have a 50k mile treadwear warranty so we'll see how that goes and how easy it is to collect but so far they're really good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Polestar 2 has low coolant and I’m not allowed to top it off without voiding the warranty lol

The communities seem to think it’s air trapped in the line migrating its way to the top of the reservoir over time, which makes sense to me since I haven’t spotted any leaks in the garage.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What is the hive mind's opinion of the Nissan Ariya? I know nothing about it but the wife is lukewarm interested.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tiny Timbs posted:

My Polestar 2 has low coolant and I’m not allowed to top it off without voiding the warranty lol

The communities seem to think it’s air trapped in the line migrating its way to the top of the reservoir over time, which makes sense to me since I haven’t spotted any leaks in the garage.

Coolant is probably being burned, check your head gaskets.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

What is the hive mind's opinion of the Nissan Ariya? I know nothing about it but the wife is lukewarm interested.

Friends have one. I have not yet driven it but it seems Fine but not a great value. I'm not sure I'd buy one over an e-GMP platform car or the id.4.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ilkhan posted:

IMO, the interior felt a bit cheap with fake open-pore wood grain and capacitive physical buttons, and the instrument cluster and infotainment system is clearly one of those “the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing” sort of things from the UX design front, with the latter feeling pretty slow and dated. Between that and the sales guy being a dick, I lost interest.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I wouldn’t buy any new Nissan in 2023

https://youtu.be/OjSVimEFtNY?si=rRGqZgNJqKcslqxJ

tldw: it’s an electric Murano except twice as expensive and it falls flat on its face on range. There are better EVs from other companies. There are better EVs for less money from other companies.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elviscat posted:

Also, ICEs are copying EVs, my rental F-150 uses a motor to move the shift lever slowly and jankily to park when I hit the stop button before I put it in park from force of habit.

Everything does that after that Star Trek actor fatally ran himself over with his Jeep.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Anyone got experience with the Mach E, specifically GT? I'm seriously considering ordering a Rally in '24. I'd be keeping my WRX and ditching a Mazda 3 hatch. What would bug the hell out of me with it? I have some concerns about the limited time at full power, but maybe it's not a big deal. I've heard infotainment isn't all that great. I'm in New England, is a resistive heater vs. heatpimp going to be annoying? I need to find a GT to test drive. The rally should be similar.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Everything does that after that Star Trek actor fatally ran himself over with his Jeep.

he didn’t run himself over, he pinned himself to his garage

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

carticket posted:

Anyone got experience with the Mach E, specifically GT? I'm seriously considering ordering a Rally in '24. I'd be keeping my WRX and ditching a Mazda 3 hatch. What would bug the hell out of me with it? I have some concerns about the limited time at full power, but maybe it's not a big deal. I've heard infotainment isn't all that great. I'm in New England, is a resistive heater vs. heatpimp going to be annoying? I need to find a GT to test drive. The rally should be similar.

BWABD is the one to ask about the GT. 3O has one, but I'm not sure it's a GT?

You want a used Bolt though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have a feeling this thread has a lot of in-jokes I don't get. Heatpimp I get, though.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
If you’ve got a Rivian, don’t do a software update right now. https://www.404media.co/rivian-pushes-broken-software-update-that-will-require-physical-repair/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

lol they pressed the "build for dev" button on accident and the update has dev certificates.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

:dafuq:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
The Bolt we ordered has now arrived at the dealership so we'll be able to pick it up Thursday. Disappointingly the dealer has decided they won't take our Leaf as trade-in because supposedly they "have so many issues" particularly "battery problems". Alas, now I have to try to sell it privately or something.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

carticket posted:

I have a feeling this thread has a lot of in-jokes I don't get. Heatpimp I get, though.

Sorry, there are at least two folks in here that have/had Mach-e's, one being a GT.

I'm not kidding about the Bolt though, it's surprisingly fun to drive.

Squibbles posted:

The Bolt we ordered has now arrived at the dealership so we'll be able to pick it up Thursday. Disappointingly the dealer has decided they won't take our Leaf as trade-in because supposedly they "have so many issues" particularly "battery problems". Alas, now I have to try to sell it privately or something.

Hooray Bolt! Bummer they won't take the trade. I sold my old car to Driveway and it was pretty painless, and a decent price. Vroom and Carvana were both really lowball offers.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

carticket posted:

I'm in New England, is a resistive heater vs. heatpimp going to be annoying? I need to find a GT to test drive. The rally should be similar.

I was just reading a winter EV test from January 2022 and the Mach-E without heatpump managed quite badly. It took almost half an hour to warm up to +15°C in -12°C outside temperature. M-B EQA and Polestar 2 managed under 10 minutes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I always read this abbreviation as “Bawitdaba-bd” when really it should be ”Bwaaabd”

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squibbles posted:

Great news! So they canceled and then un-canceled Bolt production? I'm pretty confused at this point.

Also I think the dealer would've hosed you over on the trade-in value anyway so consider that a plus.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Great news! So they canceled and then un-canceled Bolt production? I'm pretty confused at this point.

Also I think the dealer would've hosed you over on the trade-in value anyway so consider that a plus.

They extended it to try and fill existing orders.

I had to sell my Leaf private party, since Leaves are currently as hot a commodity as a big, steaming dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Saukkis posted:

I was just reading a winter EV test from January 2022 and the Mach-E without heatpump managed quite badly. It took almost half an hour to warm up to +15°C in -12°C outside temperature. M-B EQA and Polestar 2 managed under 10 minutes.

I'm more concerned about the efficiency of resistive electric vs heat pump. Quick googling says it may be negligible, but that's sourced from people with resistive heat vehicles. Thanks for sharing that clip though.