Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyway, to recap the WW3 thread, NATO militaries are not only incredibly dependent on air MEDVAC, I would say psychologically and as an issue of morale as well, but they also have gotten really lovely at ground evacuation either by stretcher or ambulance. I would hate to see how things would go in the kind of war Ukraine is in now.

Think about how this ties into the "leave no man behind" dumb bullshit ethos. I remember watching that Dutch show about civilians pretending to be a commando for a week I talked about a couple months ago and the ex-commando instructors talking about how their unit at some point in Afghanistan did a bunch of risky poo poo to retrieve the corpse of one of their guys who had gotten shot (or blown up, I forget) because "leave no man behind". That's all well and good in a colonial police mission and I'm sure has upsides for morale but trying to do any of that poo poo is utter folly when fighting a peer conflict including serious artillery assets. Look back throughout history and a critical skill for any commander was knowing when to cut your losses. For example, the French engineers in Napeleon's army were proud as poo poo about them wading up to their chests into the freezing cold Berezina river to build a pontoon bridge so the army could escape, as they froze to death by the dozens and were left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I like how all the rationales are "and then Russia just stops advancing".

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh god, you mean theres a lil' Bandara fail child running around??

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Declaring the war endemic :hmmyes:

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

fizziest posted:

On the flip-side:

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/west-could-live-with-frozen-ukraine-conflict-2023-11-13/

The West could live with a frozen Ukraine conflict
By Hugo Dixon
November 13, 2023 6:25 AM UTC · Updated 5 hours ago

LONDON, Nov 13 (Reuters Breakingviews) - Wars don’t always end in peace. Conflicts can also end in a stalemate, sometimes for decades. Just look at Korea and Cyprus, which have been divided for 70 and 49 years, respectively. Ukraine may be heading for a similarly frozen conflict with Russia.

This would be far from ideal for Kyiv and its allies. Ukraine would need military and economic support to shore up its defences. Western countries would also need to keep costly sanctions against Moscow in place.

But Russian President Vladimir Putin has made limited territorial gains at a massive human and economic cost. So a frozen conflict would help the West achieve – at least partly – its key geostrategic aim: to show hostile powers that it doesn’t pay to invade one of its friends.

Of course, Ukraine would prefer Russia to leave its entire territory and then make peace. But Putin is hardly going to retreat unless forced to – and the battlefield is at a stalemate, Valery Zaluzhny, Ukraine’s commander-in-chief, said earlier this month. Although Volodymyr Zelenskiy’s office rejected that assessment, Ukraine’s president admitted everybody was getting tired.

HUNKERING DOWN
Kyiv’s allies are showing signs of fatigue. They are also distracted by the war between Israel and Hamas. U.S. President Joe Biden is struggling to persuade Congress to approve another $61 billion in military aid for Ukraine. American help for Ukraine may weaken further if former Donald Trump or another less supportive candidate wins next year’s presidential election.

Ukraine may be able to gain more territory early next year if it gets enough advanced weaponry to break the deadlock. But at some point, even Zelenskiy may conclude it’s best to save whatever gains he has made and dig in.

In a frozen conflict, Ukraine would still need to invest heavily in massive fortifications, anti-missile defence systems and technology to deter Russian attacks.

It wouldn’t be easy to build such a defensive capacity if the United States stopped providing funding.
But the financial and human cost of freezing the conflict would be less than the ongoing toll of continuing to fight.

So others should over time be able to step in and fill any shortfall left by the United States. The EU would have the strongest incentive to pick up the tab, as it faces a bigger threat from Russia. The bloc would also need to keep ramping up its own defence spending.

ECONOMIC WAR

In a frozen conflict, sanctions against Russia would probably remain more or less in place. The United States and others would still ban sales of arms and high technology to Moscow, freeze $300 billion of its foreign reserves and attempt to drive down the price it receives for its oil exports.

Such economic warfare is unlikely to force Putin to the negotiating table. Sanctions haven’t caused North Korea or Iran to crumble. But when the Russian president eventually leaves the Kremlin, the economic pain might help persuade any successor to consider a peace deal that respects international law.

Sanctions initially buoyed Russia’s economy because the increase in gas and oil prices more than compensated for the reduction in the amounts it exported. The country’s current account surplus shot up to 10.5% of national income last year.

But the economic war of attrition is already biting. Russia’s current account surplus will fall to 3.4% this year, according to the International Monetary Fund. Meanwhile, the Kremlin has tightened capital controls and the central bank has jacked up interest rates to stop a slide in the rouble.

What’s more, the government’s fiscal deficit is expected to rise to 3.7% this year. Putin will have less money with which to curry favour with ordinary citizens, which could undermine his political support. Meanwhile, the military and technology sanctions will make it harder to modernise his army.

The sanctions regime will cost the West too. After all, European countries will not go back to buying cheap Russian gas. And the West will pay a bit more for oil because it is shunning Russian crude. But this will be a continuation of the new status quo.

REBUILDING UKRAINE

It will be harder to rebuild Ukraine’s infrastructure in a frozen conflict than if there was peace. Investors will be worried that a renewed outbreak of fighting would lead Putin to bomb their facilities.

But Western governments are working on insurance schemes to mitigate this risk. What’s more, insofar as Ukraine can build effective anti-missile systems and other defences, the risks will go down. The South Korean economy has flourished despite having a militaristic regime on its border.

The biggest opportunity is for Ukraine to join the EU, with its vast internal market. Investors would put in money even before the membership process was complete so long as they have a firm date, says Tim Ash, a strategist at BlueBay Asset Management.

After all, Ukraine has massive catch-up potential. In 1992, just after the Soviet bloc broke up, its per capita income was the same as Poland’s. Last year that figure was just 29% of its neighbour’s on a purchasing power basis. The EU would also give Ukraine cash to help it catch up with the rest of the bloc.

The fact that Ukraine would not control all its territory isn’t a block to membership. Cyprus joined despite being split in two. So did West Germany, with the eastern part of the country only entering the club after the Soviet Union collapsed.

The European Commission, the bloc’s executive arm, has recommended launching formal talks on membership provided Kyiv satisfies several remaining conditions, including reining in corruption. EU leaders are due to consider this proposal next month.

They would be wise to say yes. Putin invaded Ukraine partly to stop it joining the West. Helping it flourish would further ram home the folly of his aggression.

Does this guy understand that the conflict freezing would require both sides to stop attacking. Ukraine and NATO can't just magically declare the conflict frozen and will it into being.

I find it extremely funny that a total amateur like myself understands the basics of grand strategy better than people whose expertise is allegedly in that field

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

parallel belden

There are a number of Belden variants running around out there. I'm actually one of them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VoicesCanBe posted:

Does this guy understand that the conflict freezing would require both sides to stop attacking. Ukraine and NATO can't just magically declare the conflict frozen and will it into being.

I find it extremely funny that a total amateur like myself understands the basics of grand strategy better than people whose expertise is allegedly in that field

They're still in the first stage of grief - denial.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

DancingShade posted:

They're still in the first stage of grief - denial.

yea it’s just the current cope for the Ukraine brained.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

DancingShade posted:

To be fair every other theoretical avenue to Ukranian victory has been closed off. So "I dunno one of these years Russia might just give up and go home" is all there is to bank on

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nonsense posted:

nothing but blue checks patting themselves on the back. Ukraine is finished.

This is extremely incoherent.

1. A more aggressive, unchecked Russia will lead to future conflicts that involve the US and Europe, endangering American and European lives. It's better to stop Russia now.

2. American and NATO credibility will be further undermined since it can't stand up to authoritarian regime

3. There will be rising unrest and extremism in Europe driven by Russia

4. Unstable oil and gas markets and increased global conflicts exacerbated by Russia will continue to cause economic problems at including inflation

5. Russian propaganda and political interference could further divide American and European societies and worsen political dysfunction

6. Defeating Russia can prevent a much worse conflict vs Russia, China, or Iran later that would be much worse for Americans and European

(He actually stops numbering here lol but his following replies are:)

7. If Russia succeeds, then it would encourage China to invade Taiwan and expand its power, no longer deterred by the West. Russia could also threaten and possibly attack or dominate other neighbors like Poland, the Baltics, and Germany again.

8. It would strengthen Russia's global authoritarian alliances with Iran, Venezuela, Syria and others.

9. The spread of violence and unrest would continue and likely accelerate in the Middle East, Africa, and Europe.

10. (?) Pro-Russian extremist politics could surge in the West.

11. (??) Divisive propaganda and political warfare would increase.

12. (???) The economic integration and prosperity of Europe would be severely damaged by having an aggressive Russia threatening the borders.

13. (He says "finally", but is it a summary or another argument?) Finally, America's credibility as a defensive alliance partner would be undermined, hurting its global standing and relationships. We will be in a different, much less safe and much more authoritarian world

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So, what I want to zero in on, because most of that is ideological and I understand the wishy washy bullshit, is:

"4. Unstable oil and gas markets and increased global conflicts exacerbated by Russia will continue to cause economic problems at including inflation "

I would love to know what they mean by "Ukrainian victory" if they think it will let them control Russia's energy exports. Dying to know more about this principled defence of a democracy under siege, where if we lose we can't control another country's natural resources.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

3, 5, 9, and 10 are identical points phrased slightly different.

This is the level of writing one can expect from the esteemed scholar Anne Applebaum

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Forget trying to account for who wouldn't make it to Role III or Landstuhl, which is probably a grim statistic, try to picture light, lean, modern NATO combat organizations finding the extra personnel to send out as stretcher parties by night.

Ukraine has never seemed to be very good at this, though not for the same reason. Their medical services give me the impression of being a bit slapdash, with their civilian hospital system and requisitioned civilian vehicles doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

You would think with all these medics they have this wouldn't be a problem

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Russians don't even need to really attack, they could simply keep firing their guns until there is no one left to fill the trenches in front of them (which is mostly their strategy already). Basically, they have to figure out a way for Russia to throw in the towel just because.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

So, what I want to zero in on, because most of that is ideological and I understand the wishy washy bullshit, is:

"4. Unstable oil and gas markets and increased global conflicts exacerbated by Russia will continue to cause economic problems at including inflation "

I would love to know what they mean by "Ukrainian victory" if they think it will let them control Russia's energy exports. Dying to know more about this principled defence of a democracy under siege, where if we lose we can't control another country's natural resources.

Democratic = furthering certain private USA monetary interests.

Not being able to loot other nations is democracy under siege.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Anarchic Aesthete
Columnist @tabletmag
@ForeignPolicy
Fellow @AtlanticCouncil
Founding Editor @theodessareview
Author of “From Odessa with Love”

Brace Bellend

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

The Russians don't even need to really attack, they could simply keep firing their guns until there is no one left to fill the trenches in front of them (which is mostly their strategy already). Basically, they have to figure out a way for Russia to throw in the towel just because.

Even last year after Ukraine's success and dumb rear end like me made the World War 1 connection that as long as Russia is on Ukrainian soil they will win. But you get these dumb asses spinning fantasies of victories, or turning Ukraine into Korea a divided society destroyed by the United States. Materialism might as well be a super power

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh god, you mean theres a lil' Bandara fail child running around??

Yes.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do we need more Kennedy conspiracies?

My favorite is the theory that in addition to Poppy pulling the trigger on JFK, Dubya personally sabotaged JFK Jr.'s plane and made it crash

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

Even last year after Ukraine's success and dumb rear end like me made the World War 1 connection that as long as Russia is on Ukrainian soil they will win. But you get these dumb asses spinning fantasies of victories, or turning Ukraine into Korea a divided society destroyed by the United States. Materialism might as well be a super power

western leaders always use nightmare countries as their example of a future utopia

boris told Zelensky that if they do good, they might get to be Dubai
Zelensky himself wants to be 'big Israel'
This article thinks Ukraine should aspire to be Korea, a divided country with the south ran by a fascist junta for a couple of decades and now faces accelerating levels of inequality and poverty

I mean the Korea one is pretty likely tbh. The country is going to be a nightmare for 90% of people and a lawless paradise for the rich because they'll get to treat everyone around them as disposable meat.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Frosted Flake posted:

also, a defeated and presumably economicly devestated Russia would certainly not destabilize oil and gas markets

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

also, a defeated and presumably economicly devestated Russia would certainly not destabilize oil and gas markets

putin jr. in moscow bunker: "well, we lost the war, but we still have these 6000 icbms. you guys think we should just let the enemy have these too yeah?"

and then everyone clapped and went home

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1723861310528421993

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its a terrible line of reasoning, but the whole "weaken russia via sponsoring a proxy war" is not a complicated concept. however the calculus is that those kinds of economic risks are worth it, not that you are somehow preventing them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when did 60 minutes turn into complete tabloid bullshit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

About thirty years ago

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Maybe FF has something to say about this but my understanding is that bombardments that happen without assaults typically are much less effective at causing casualties, since the enemy has no reason to come out of their dugouts. There's definitely a scenario where Russia can't passively cause enough casualties to cause Ukraine to collapse but also can't build a sufficient advantage in manpower and firepower to sustain an offensive with a politically acceptable number of casualties.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

when did 60 minutes turn into complete tabloid bullshit

There was still good investigative journalism on 20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes pretty much right up until 9/11 which was used as an opportunity to do away with not just anything critical of the administration but of business as well, leaving nothing but "human interest stories"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

euphronius posted:

But at some point, even Zelenskiy may conclude it’s best to save whatever gains he has made and dig in.

?????????

?????

Robotyne must be fortified

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

Ardennes posted:

Hypothetically if it's like 2030 and the frontlines still have barely moved I could maybe see Russia begin to consider cutting their losses and going home.

But Ukraine is politically and militarily going to fall to pieces long before that.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

western leaders always use nightmare countries as their example of a future utopia

boris told Zelensky that if they do good, they might get to be Dubai
Zelensky himself wants to be 'big Israel'
This article thinks Ukraine should aspire to be Korea, a divided country with the south ran by a fascist junta for a couple of decades and now faces accelerating levels of inequality and poverty

I mean the Korea one is pretty likely tbh. The country is going to be a nightmare for 90% of people and a lawless paradise for the rich because they'll get to treat everyone around them as disposable meat.

I'm hoping Zelensky and pals recreate Taiwan on Snake Island.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VoicesCanBe posted:

Hypothetically if it's like 2030 and the frontlines still have barely moved I could maybe see Russia begin to consider cutting their losses and going home.

But Ukraine is politically and militarily going to fall to pieces long before that.

By 2030 Ukraine will be completely depopulated owing to the whole population being conscripted and herded into trenches.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

DancingShade posted:

By 2030 Ukraine will be completely depopulated owing to the whole population being conscripted and herded into trenches.

The NATO shell stockpile will also hit zero long before then at current burn rates.

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/11/13/7428589/

Ukraine's Defence Ministry is considering dismissing three commanders
UKRAINSKA PRAVDA
MONDAY, 13 NOVEMBER 2023, 18:09

Ukraine’s Ministry of Defence is considering dismissing three commanders of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

Source:

Ukrainska Pravda sources in Ukraine’s military and political leadership

Details:

According to Ukrainska Pravda’s sources, Defence Minister Rustem Umierov is preparing to dismiss Tetiana Ostashchenko, Commander of Medical Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, Oleksandr Tarnavskyi, Commander of the Tavriia Operational Strategic Group of Forces, and Serhii Naiev, Commander of Joint Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.

Paramedics and volunteers involved in medical support for Ukraine’s Defence Forces have reportedly been insisting on Ostashchenko’s dismissal.

No reasons were disclosed for the potential dismissal of Tarnavskyi, who is in charge of one of the fronts of the Ukrainian counteroffensive.

Nor did the sources provide any reasons for Naiev’s dismissal. However, according to Ukrainska Pravda’s information, he may be one of the main persons of interest in the proceedings concerning the defence of Kherson Oblast in 2022.

Ukrainska Pravda asked the President’s Office to comment on the possible dismissals of these commanders. Serhii Nikiforov, President Zelenskyy’s press secretary, responded that if such a decision is made, it will be duly announced on the president’s official website.

One of the sources noted that the question of these dismissals has been under consideration for several months now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sum posted:

Maybe FF has something to say about this but my understanding is that bombardments that happen without assaults typically are much less effective at causing casualties, since the enemy has no reason to come out of their dugouts. There's definitely a scenario where Russia can't passively cause enough casualties to cause Ukraine to collapse but also can't build a sufficient advantage in manpower and firepower to sustain an offensive with a politically acceptable number of casualties.

This is correct.

That was tried in late 1915, early 1916. There was a period in the Western Front where the shell crisis had basically been resolved, and medium and heavy artillery was finally starting to become available, but before the weapons and equipment of the hand grenade, rifle grenade, Lewis gun and tank had really been figured out.

The British and French tried cracking German lines with weeks long bombardments in some battles. The issues were complex but can be understood through common sense:

The heavier the bombardment, the more the Germans dug in. In some sectors, this eventually led to large concrete dugouts and even concrete revetment in trenches. Only heavy artillery can defeat dugouts of a certain depth or reinforcement.

Think of it like an arms race: The more artillery the Entente used, the more the Germans had to dig in. So, just like digging trenches had been enough to protect them against field guns in 1914, they responded to the threat of HE field gun shells and medium guns (which can collapse trenches and create craters) with log reinforced dugouts.

This arms race is not equal though. The resources required to dig a deep shelter are much less than those required to produce a heavy artillery piece, let alone provide it with a steady supply of shells. For one gun to destroy one shelter requires significantly greater resources. Not to mention, the nature of war means it takes significantly more than one shell from one gun to hit, let alone destroy, even a single dugout. Which means,

The defender will always be able to construct more dugouts than there are heavy artillery pieces, which means,

That at least some will survive a bombardment, no matter how heavy.

Now, the British and French did get very good at laying on fire so heavy that they did collapse many dugouts. The Germans in those surviving dugouts were often in no state to defend their trenches, they were stunned, bleeding from their ears, and emerged into a lunar landscape. So, the heavy firepower did allow for a break-in, pretty much from the time the heavy guns became available in numbers.

However, heavy artillery is heavy. The heaviest pieces could not even be moved by road, they required railroads. Even the medium guns required large teams of multiple horses and at least some sort of dry, solid road. Those same guns, in bombarding German positions, made their own movement impossible. For the simple reason that any cratering effect large enough to collapse deep dugouts and obliterate trenches, is also, well it leaves huge loving craters behind. That meant the guns were not going to move through no mans land on the heels of the advance.

The infantry captured German trenches that were absolutely obliterated and indefensible. Fantastic!

They then had to defend... German trenches that were absolutely obliterated and indefensible...from the German counter attack.

Because the Entente guns could not move up through the swath of destruction they created, the Germans could simply take a protractor, mark the Entente heavy artillery, and site their reserve trenches on the other side of that line. These trenches did not need to be made nearly as heavy as they could only come under fire from the largest railway guns, which could fire a few shells a day at most and would prioritize depots and the like, and whatever the Entente managed to bring through no mans land, so a handful of machine-guns and mortars. So, reserve trenches were cheap and easy to construct, they could have several layers of them for very low (relative) cost in labour and material.

So, for the Germans, they knew that for enormous effort the Entente could capture their forward trenches, but that they (the Germans) would be able to stop any further advance relatively inexpensively, and maybe even recapture some of those trenches at moderate cost, since their own artillery would all be in range, they were on the near-side of no mans land.

Now, this was not all roses, as I've said before, German losses on the Somme and elsewhere were equal or higher to Entente casualties because they first had to withstand that bombardment - which did kill huge numbers of people - and then counterattack. But generally, while their forward positions would fall to any determined Entente attack after mid-late 1916 or so, because the Entente had the shells and guns to make that happen, the system of defences would survive.

Which is of course why people still argue about the British cavalry not charging on the first day on the Somme, when it seems like they might have actually broken through, now that we can see the German "side of the hill" through their records. The British did crack the German defences, particularly in the south, and so did the French, however there was no movement through the holes created because infantry moved too slow though the (obliterated) landscape, the artillery not at all, and the cavalry - which could use the space created to manoeuvre around Germans while the infantry definitely needed artillery support to move them out of the way - was held too far back in reserve.

The tank was supposed to solve all that, but as Gradenko has pointed out with Kursk, the tank itself does not actually love the problem of a layered defence. It still has to be married to an operational plan that takes it through the depth of enemy defences so that it can exploit the hole artillery makes. Trying to make the hole with tanks, like the SS Panzer tried to do, doesn't work.Trying to shoot the enemy off the position with tanks, which the British made a habit of throughout the Second World War, doesn't work much better than trying to charge in, because tank guns are at best equivalent to field guns, and can't shift the enemy out of prepared positions by themselves.

The problem, where Ukraine and Russia are concerned, is that every step of this comes with moderate casualties, even if things go well. That's because the deeper you go, the more enemies untouched by your firepower are standing in your way. Now, ideally, they are not as prepared as at their forward positions and everything else, but they're still there. They can hide in the woods and get an ATGM off. Not a big deal in the scheme of a battle, that won't stop an armoured column, but it does create casualties. Advancing like this is advancing into the unknown.

Whereas, just grinding them down means that on the one hand you never get the chance to come to grips with the enemy outside of their prepared positions, but on the other hand, prepared positions are detectable, and therefore avoidable, in a way a few guys hiding in the woods alongside a road aren't.

tl;dr, bombardment won't kill every defender, but there is also no way to break through without unexpectedly encountering defenders, which Russia is loathe to do.

e: I should mention that in that 1915-16 era, before hand grenades, rifle grenades and the Lewis Gun, the Germans who came out of their dugouts were enough to prevent the British from capturing the first line of trenches. They'd emerge out of their dugouts into the trenches, and for the British making their way through there was no way to get them out of there, so the front line wouldn't be captured completely. Additionally, heavy artillery wouldn't fall on all areas of the front evenly, so there would always be adjacent frontline trenches that were less bombarded, which meant more intact dugouts, which meant more angry Germans.

So you'd end up with a really messy front line on one side of no mans land where there were islands of Germans pressing on the edges of the British advance. As the British had to be resupplied through no man's land (obliterated, remember) and the Germans did not, the British would eventually have to withdraw. Like a river crossing, you had to capture enough of the front line trench on the "far shore" of no mans land for it to be viable, or eventually give it up entirely.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:32 on Nov 14, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
We'll see how things develop over the next few days, but it's looking like the AFU has exhausted its offensive potential near Bakhmut and are pulling back.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

OhFunny posted:

We'll see how things develop over the next few days, but it's looking like the AFU has exhausted its offensive potential near Bakhmut and are pulling back.

Certain pro Ukrainian voices are celebrating an upcoming push on Crimea from the bridgeheads that have been established across the Dnieper.

It is not clear to anyone how this supposed offensive (which almost certainly will not happen, the bridgeheads are purely a PR thing) will somehow be more successful than the previous offensive at overcoming the belts of fortifications and minefields between Ukraine and Crimea, especially considering there is now a huge river at Ukraine's rear to be navigated whereas at Robotyne there was not.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol

https://twitter.com/WizardSX0/status/1724203037420392835

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The risk of recycled templates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/11/13/7428631/

EU will not supply promised 1 million ammunition rounds to Ukraine by March – Foreign Minister
EUROPEAN PRAVDA, UKRAINSKA PRAVDA
MONDAY, 13 NOVEMBER 2023, 23:32

Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has said that the European Union will not be able to carry out its plan to supply one million rounds of artillery to Ukraine by March 2024 due to the state of defence production and bureaucratic obstacles.

Source:

European Pravda, citing Kuleba during the national joint 24/7 newscast

Details:

The minister was asked to comment on a Bloomberg report that the EU has informed member states that the pledge to provide Ukraine with 1 million artillery rounds by March 2024 is "unlikely to be fulfilled".

"Unfortunately, Bloomberg is telling the truth. There are questions, and we are doing a lot of loud ringing of alarm bells," Kuleba replied.

He added that the reason for this problem is not a lack of political will in the EU, but the "lamentable state of the defence industry", as well as "a lot of unsynchronised things, a lot of bureaucracy".

"The European Union is working to remedy these problems, and that is why, while in Berlin, I called on the European Union to develop a coherent policy in the field of defence industries," the Foreign Minister stressed.

He said the EU has already begun to take certain steps to rectify the situation.

"But we need faster actions, and more of them. And we do really appreciate the support of the European Union, but we will push them [on this]. Because, as ever, we can see a Ukrainian infantryman standing right in front of us, and he needs ammunition," Kuleba concluded.

The provision of ammunition to Ukraine is becoming increasingly urgent as Russia has been able to increase its own production and obtain supplies from North Korea.

At the end of October, Bloomberg reported that the EU was falling behind in its plans to provide Ukraine with one million rounds of artillery. Meanwhile, NATO is pushing its member states to overcome protectionist tendencies and agree on a single standard for artillery ammunition so that production can be increased.