Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bad_fmr posted:

How is that deck supposed to win? I tried it for 10 games and lost every one. Feels like you need ridiculous luck to get the combo pieces in hand, and even if you do you get dumpstered by Thoughtseize and the like.

You mulligan to Necropotence (and, ideally, Dark Ritual) then you draw 10 cards and get the combo pieces of: Dark Ritual, some number of 0 drops, Beseech the Mirror or Tendrils. Repeat as necessary.

Here's an example

https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/20231106/e15fc061d53f424dbaa63934d6748822/0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For real, you can mulligan all the way to 3 cards looking for Swamp + Rit + Necro. Then you unmulligan yourself and more.

Pretty much unbeatable on the play, loses to hand disruption/spell pierce on the draw but you just take your lumps and go next.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Playing Standard Bant Beanstalk Domain in a Bo3 mirror, opponent has more ramp and I have more counterspells. Game 2 I see his sideboard tech - - and was short enough on lands I couldn't deal, the ward was brutal. Tried to Lay Down Arms but as I was short on lands I did not in fact have 7 Plains on the board, nor the extra 4 for aforementioned ward. Game 3, the opponent gets to see my sideboard tech - - which is hilarious in the mirror! Play a Leyline of Binding? Nothing happens! Your own Beanstalk?? Too bad! He quit after Invasion of Zendikar was the third permanent with no ETB.

In other matches I'm having my Leylines Stroke of Midnight'ed. I am glad to see some of the uncommons putting in work these days. I feel like - - is something I always wanted to have work..... but Farewell is just better, and can still be played, in all the decks that could run the green one.

EDIT: Oh... uhhhh, is there a way to do the thing I'm trying to do, with spoiler'ing images, without it ruining paragraph formatting? I've made something ugly today :(

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

You mulligan to Necropotence (and, ideally, Dark Ritual) then you draw 10 cards and get the combo pieces of: Dark Ritual, some number of 0 drops, Beseech the Mirror or Tendrils. Repeat as necessary.

Here's an example

https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/20231106/e15fc061d53f424dbaa63934d6748822/0

Yeah I understand how it is supposed to work, but it just never draws the cards. Like in the example you got 3 rituals, which is lucky as hell.

Jabor posted:

For real, you can mulligan all the way to 3 cards looking for Swamp + Rit + Necro. Then you unmulligan yourself and more.

Pretty much unbeatable on the play, loses to hand disruption/spell pierce on the draw but you just take your lumps and go next.

For several times I mulled to 0 cards and never once saw Necro, let alone both Ritual and Necro at the starting hand.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

bad_fmr posted:

Yeah I understand how it is supposed to work, but it just never draws the cards. Like in the example you got 3 rituals, which is lucky as hell.

For several times I mulled to 0 cards and never once saw Necro, let alone both Ritual and Necro at the starting hand.

I stole that deck to gently caress around with and it’s winning on turn 2 like 70%- this seems like a skill issue

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not seeing necro at all before you're down to 3 cards is like, 8%, kinda irrelevant. What's your win-rate in the games where you do see it?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bad_fmr posted:

post a game replay from 17 lands if you have it

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Gems in store today, buy with gold for a better rate (assuming you draft).

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Jabor posted:

Not seeing necro at all before you're down to 3 cards is like, 8%, kinda irrelevant. What's your win-rate in the games where you do see it?
Played like 30 games in total, won 10. Many of the 10 wins were concedes when I drop the Necro. Of the actual played wins, it seems like it depends entirely on if you pull Dark Rituals or not. If ritual is not in opening hand, need to survive to 3 mana and then pull ritual with necro. Or if you get ritual in opening hand, then you need to pull another when you first use the necro. After the first necro pull you sit at ~10 life and either kill them next turn or most likely die.

Time posted:

I stole that deck to gently caress around with and it’s winning on turn 2 like 70%- this seems like a skill issue
How? T1 Necro, handfill, then you need to hit land, ritual, beseech (or just tendrils) and a bunch of 0-drops right?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

bad_fmr posted:

Played like 30 games in total, won 10. Many of the 10 wins were concedes when I drop the Necro. Of the actual played wins, it seems like it depends entirely on if you pull Dark Rituals or not. If ritual is not in opening hand, need to survive to 3 mana and then pull ritual with necro. Or if you get ritual in opening hand, then you need to pull another when you first use the necro. After the first necro pull you sit at ~10 life and either kill them next turn or most likely die.

How? T1 Necro, handfill, then you need to hit land, ritual, beseech (or just tendrils) and a bunch of 0-drops right?

T1 necro, draw 15 cards, sculpt a perfect 7 at end step, pop off. It’s very easy. You can beseech all the way through the copies in your deck for extra storm copies. Sometimes you will brick but mostly you will not.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
When approximately on Tuesday is the infinite quest bug supposed to begin?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The mastery pass page says the current mastery pass will end in 42.4 hours, so if the gold bug occurs, it will start happening at 8 AM EST.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Time posted:

T1 necro, draw 15 cards, sculpt a perfect 7 at end step, pop off. It’s very easy. You can beseech all the way through the copies in your deck for extra storm copies. Sometimes you will brick but mostly you will not.

Im too lazy to fire up Excel but im pretty sure the odds still dont add up. To mull at least 1 Ritual and Necro, and then to get at least 1 Ritual with the pull. Plus at least 1 Beseech or Tendrils. To get the before mentioned 70% rate at least.

I will try to spam this strategy however either to prove myself wrong of at least farm the "concede on turn 1 necro" wins.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

bad_fmr posted:

Im too lazy to fire up Excel but im pretty sure the odds still dont add up. To mull at least 1 Ritual and Necro, and then to get at least 1 Ritual with the pull. Plus at least 1 Beseech or Tendrils. To get the before mentioned 70% rate at least.

I will try to spam this strategy however either to prove myself wrong of at least farm the "concede on turn 1 necro" wins.

Here is another variant of Necro Storm that runs Green as well, and uses Bolas's Citadel to go infinite. If you have both Citadel + Necro, you can just waltz through the majority of your deck, using necro to exile bonus lands and uncastables. Every time you hit Tendrils or Weather the Storm you gain another 12-ish cards deeper. Like you are noticing, it is a storm deck, a combo that can be disrupted, and crowds out other interaction from your own decklist. T1 Ragavan, T1 Thoughtsieze, T1 Spell Pierce can really gently caress you up. It's best to consider it a "high roller" deck while you aren't fully skilled with it.

Deck
2 Swamp (UNF) 237
4 Ornithopter (M10) 216
4 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
1 Phyrexian Tower (JMP) 493
3 Necropotence (WOT) 31
4 Mishra's Bauble (BRR) 34
2 Tendrils of Agony (STA) 34
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx (THS) 223
4 Blooming Marsh (KLR) 280
3 Bolas's Citadel (WAR) 79
2 Scheming Symmetry (M20) 113
2 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
4 Weather the Storm (STA) 58
1 Nurturing Peatland (MH1) 243
4 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
4 Witherbloom Apprentice (STX) 247
4 Deadly Dispute (AFR) 94
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
2 Deathcap Glade (VOW) 261
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266

Here is a Necro Mono-Black that is way jankier, if you think the combo versions are too easily disrupted. Because it's janky, low-tier fun, opponents don't read the correct play against you as often. Elf decks, for example, often flat out lose to Pact Weapon, despite being a green deck that could run fight spells or artifact removal. They are all-in on Craterhoof shenanigans and concede after getting you to -107 life and not winning.

Deck
4 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
18 Swamp (UNF) 237
4 Death's Shadow (WWK) 57
4 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
4 Bitterblossom (WOT) 27
4 Orcish Bowmasters (LTR) 103
2 The Meathook Massacre (MID) 112
4 Necropotence (WOT) 31
4 Agadeem's Awakening (ZNR) 90
1 Pact Weapon (HBG) 165
1 Sheoldred, the Apocalypse (DMU) 107
4 Beseech the Mirror (WOE) 82
1 Grave Pact (WOT) 29
1 Phyrexian Tower (JMP) 493
4 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

As a reminder, always consider the source - I'm not exactly a Pro Tour player, so your experience may vary. Also, I've probably got these lists from this very thread, more or less, kudos to everyone here for being helpful in the first place!!

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
Opp mulliganed to 2 cards to begin with Leyline of Hexproof hoping it would force the scoop.

Beseech to Sheoldred forced them to scoop.

shout out to bargaining necropotence to beseech

e: Sheoldred shines in the mirror match, if neither of you get the win right away they have to flounder with Deadly Dispute and yours are even better. I might add 1 more to go up to 2 total because they're very rarely a dead card, discard to Necropotence if you're comboing off or play early

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 13, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BasicLich posted:

Opp mulliganed to 2 cards to begin with Leyline of Hexproof hoping it would force the scoop.
lol wait is that what that deck is for

I had someone do the same as yours and I just beat their face in with monored, a hand full of useless burn spells means nothing when I've got swiftspears punching you repeatedly while I shoot myself with lightning bolts to juice them up

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Captain Invictus posted:

lol wait is that what that deck is for

I had someone do the same as yours and I just beat their face in with monored, a hand full of useless burn spells means nothing when I've got swiftspears punching you repeatedly while I shoot myself with lightning bolts to juice them up

who knows, I didn't see any cards played by Opp except for Leyline of Hexproof

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

I can't upload a file with edit so you're getting a double post

hardcast Sheoldred t1 off double Dark Rituals, t3 scoop. Believe in Sheoldred, she's a mean bitch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ultimatefire posted:

In other matches I'm having my Leylines Stroke of Midnight'ed. I am glad to see some of the uncommons putting in work these days. I feel like - - is something I always wanted to have work..... but Farewell is just better, and can still be played, in all the decks that could run the green one.

EDIT: Oh... uhhhh, is there a way to do the thing I'm trying to do, with spoiler'ing images, without it ruining paragraph formatting? I've made something ugly today :(

In my experience a lot of the decks that were PREVIOUSLY running farewell are at this point running 4 sunfalls and their copies 5-6 as depopulate because the speed is just that important. I could possibly see fade from history being worth it once you consider that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I tried running depopulate but playing against multicolor decks as mono-w kept getting me punished lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think monowhite would want depopulate even if it was just straight-up wrath of god.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jabor posted:

I don't think monowhite would want depopulate even if it was just straight-up wrath of god.

There exist monowhite decks that aren't aggro decks.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I tried running depopulate but playing against multicolor decks as mono-w kept getting me punished lol

Playing AS the multicolor deck getting depopulated, my experience is that one card is rarely more than a consolation prize, not any sort of a "punishment" for the person who did the boardwipe.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

historic almost no bans thoughts, about a day out from the end:

necropotence storm combo is powerful and when the hand of god reaches down to make everything come into place you're the undying lich obliterating everything before you

otherwise, a more stable deck can usually eek it out, like elves or RDW

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

BasicLich posted:

Beseech to Sheoldred forced them to scoop.

shout out to bargaining necropotence to beseech

e: Sheoldred shines in the mirror match, if neither of you get the win right away they have to flounder with Deadly Dispute and yours are even better. I might add 1 more to go up to 2 total because they're very rarely a dead card, discard to Necropotence if you're comboing off or play early

from what i've seen, there's a (bad) deck that plays a bunch of leylines and then tries to target them with fracture reality to cheat a creature into play on turn 1

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

jpmeyer posted:

from what i've seen, there's a (bad) deck that plays a bunch of leylines and then tries to target them with fracture reality to cheat a creature into play on turn 1

Oh, do you mean every deck that Mono-Black Magic has been playing for the last month?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I lost against that deck because I was playing that Rakdos Discard/Monkey/DRC/Lightning bolt tribal and they had the nut draw of 2xLeylike + Fragment on the play.

I think they cheated out something extremely lovely too, like a 5/5. I guess they just lose to every single ramp / elf / aggro / midrange deck that isn’t playing burn to win.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This event has created some of the most wildly unbalanced boardstates I have ever seen in all my life:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it would be nice if chat was a thing so I could ask these people who bring starter decks into the event, "is everything okay? do you need me to call someone for you?"

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Just played against Counterspell tribal, where they only cast two draw spells but somehow managed to rip 9 consecutive counter spells off the top and then kill me with Hall of the Storm Giants. Not much you can do about that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

kalel posted:

it would be nice if chat was a thing so I could ask these people who bring starter decks into the event, "is everything okay? do you need me to call someone for you?"

Chat absolutely does not need to happen in this game. I really don't want to get bombarded with racial slurs every time I play a counterspell or I blow up their wincon.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Horace Kinch posted:

Chat absolutely does not need to happen in this game. I really don't want to get bombarded with racial slurs every time I play a counterspell or I blow up their wincon.

we must, for the greater good, forgo the ability to roll one's eyes at four copies of both The One Ring and Sheoldred, The Apocalypse in the same constructed deck

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Horace Kinch posted:

Two more times since I've been playing, I had the loser try to send me a friend request to chat with me. Very tempting to see the salt, but considering the first time it was a guy telling me that Trump is gonna be re-elected and put gays like me in the oven, and WotC sat on my ticket about it for 6 months without doing anything, eh.

Probably makes them way angrier to not accept the request after they go through the effort. I think you have to like scrub the game's logs to find a profile name in order to send the request.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Two more times since I've been playing, I had the loser try to send me a friend request to chat with me. Very tempting to see the salt, but considering the first time it was a guy telling me that Trump is gonna be re-elected and put gays like me in the oven, and WotC sat on my ticket about it for 6 months without doing anything, eh.

Probably makes them way angrier to not accept the request after they go through the effort. I think you have to like scrub the game's logs to find a profile name in order to send the request.

It's like when someone in traffic wants you to roll your window down so they can shout at you. Never volunteer for your own abuse. Should have left that first douchebag hanging.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

24 hrs till the end of banless historic, at least for now. here are the five decks I've used the most, one for each mono color (credit to lone goat for the black one):

White Tax Weenies posted:

Deck
4 Swords to Plowshares (STA) 10
2 Invasion of Gobakhan (MOM) 22
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (MUL) 72
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben (VOW) 38
3 Archon of Emeria (ZNR) 4
2 Lay Down Arms (BRO) 11
4 Vryn Wingmare (M21) 43
3 Ranger-Captain of Eos (MH1) 21
4 Esper Sentinel (MH2) 12
1 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
1 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14
1 Giver of Runes (MH1) 13
1 Recruitment Officer (BRO) 23
3 Adeline, Resplendent Cathar (MID) 1
4 Luminarch Aspirant (ZNR) 24
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
1 Minas Tirith (LTR) 256
1 Emeria's Call (ZNR) 12
2 Faceless Haven (KHM) 255
17 Snow-Covered Plains (KHM) 277

Affinity posted:

Deck
2 Emry, Lurker of the Loch (MUL) 74
12 Island (LTR) 265
2 Emry, Lurker of the Loch (ELD) 43
4 Patchwork Automaton (NEO) 254
2 Sai, Master Thopterist (M19) 69
1 Reality Heist (NEO) 75
2 Aether Spellbomb (JMP) 456
3 Karn, the Great Creator (WAR) 1
1 Karn, Scion of Urza (DAR) 1
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
3 Mox Amber (BRR) 35
1 Mox Amber (DAR) 224
2 Mind Stone (WTH) 153
4 Moonsnare Prototype (NEO) 69
3 Thought Monitor (MH2) 71
4 Darksteel Citadel (M15) 242
2 Treasure Vault (AFR) 261
1 Cascading Cataracts (AKR) 285
4 Metallic Rebuke (KLR) 56
2 The Reality Chip (NEO) 74

Sideboard
1 Liquimetal Coating (BRR) 28
1 Portal to Phyrexia (BRO) 240
1 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (M20) 226
1 Tormod's Crypt (M21) 241
1 Treasure Vault (AFR) 261
1 Retrofitter Foundry (C18) 57
1 Shadowspear (THB) 236

NecroStorm posted:

Deck
15 Swamp (RTR) 260
4 Springleaf Drum (BRR) 55
2 Tormod's Crypt (M21) 241
2 Ornithopter (M10) 216
1 Ornithopter (KLR) 255
1 Ornithopter (BRR) 37
4 Dark Ritual (STA) 26
4 Phyrexian Tower (JMP) 493
4 Necropotence (WOT) 31
4 Thoughtseize (AKR) 127
3 Tendrils of Agony (STA) 34
4 Deadly Dispute (AFR) 94
4 Shambling Ghast (AFR) 119
4 Beseech the Mirror (WOE) 82

RDW posted:

Companion
1 Obosh, the Preypiercer (MUL) 119

Deck
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler (MH2) 121
17 Mountain (LTR) 269
4 Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer (MUL) 86
4 Lightning Bolt (STA) 42
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Kumano Faces Kakkazan (NEO) 152
2 Experimental Synthesizer (NEO) 138
4 Monastery Swiftspear (BRO) 144
2 Blood Moon (WOT) 40
4 Fable of the Mirror-Breaker (NEO) 141
1 Monstrous Rage (WOE) 142
2 Faithless Looting (STA) 38
4 Den of the Bugbear (AFR) 254
1 Sokenzan, Crucible of Defiance (NEO) 276
1 Ox of Agonas (THB) 147
2 Unholy Heat (MH2) 145

Sideboard
1 Obosh, the Preypiercer (MUL) 119

Elves posted:

Deck
4 Leaf-Crowned Visionary (DMU) 167
22 Forest (LTR) 271
4 Elvish Mystic (M14) 169
3 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
1 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
4 Elvish Warmaster (KHM) 167
4 Elvish Archdruid (JMP) 391
4 Dwynen's Elite (JMP) 389
4 Natural Order (STA) 54
2 Craterhoof Behemoth (JMP) 385
2 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
4 Allosaurus Shepherd (JMP) 28
2 Marwyn, the Nurturer (DAR) 172

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Huh, how does the blue deck work, I have no idea what I'm doing

Affinity posted:
Deck

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

kalel posted:

If you really want to talk to your opponent, here's a historic deck you might want to use:

Deck
4 Curse of Silence (MID) 15
4 Seachrome Coast (ONE) 258
4 Anointed Peacekeeper (DMU) 2
4 Academic Probation (STX) 7
4 Silverquill Silencer (STX) 234
4 Concealed Courtyard (KLR) 282
4 Pithing Needle (MID) 257
4 Sorcerous Spyglass (XLN) 248
4 The Stone Brain (BRO) 247
4 Meddling Mage (ARB) 8
4 Plains (DMU) 277
4 Phyrexian Revoker (BRR) 40
4 Brightclimb Pathway (ZNR) 259
4 Hengegate Pathway (KHM) 260
2 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
2 Adarkar Wastes (DMU) 243

It achieves exactly nothing, there's no wincon and no combo, but every single one of these cards allows you to either taunt your opponent (in any language, I might add) by naming cards such as : "Choose your weapon", " You cannot pass!", "Join the dead", " Sleep with the fishes" and my all time favorite "You are already dead".

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tezzeract posted:

Huh, how does the blue deck work, I have no idea what I'm doing

Affinity posted:
Deck

Cast Emry turn 1, recur baubles for value, dump artifacts to gain advantage with Thought Monitor, win with Sai swarm and/or Karn destroying your opponent's lands

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

space uncle posted:

Just played against Counterspell tribal, where they only cast two draw spells but somehow managed to rip 9 consecutive counter spells off the top and then kill me with Hall of the Storm Giants. Not much you can do about that.

Don't worry every single tribla deck is getting a land that makes all their poo poo uncounterable tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Cast Emry turn 1, recur baubles for value, dump artifacts to gain advantage with Thought Monitor, win with Sai swarm and/or Karn destroying your opponent's lands

Oh boy, this is the durdling nonsense that I love

Edit:

Ahh tapping lands is an activated ability, which is how you blank their lands. And I decked myself by going full Reality Chip :)

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 14, 2023