Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Witch Watch: Normally when I send letters to manga artists demanding that they remove the obligatory heterosexual romance from their series, they don't actually give in to said demands.

It's possible that I have finally been recognized as the world's most sensible person who should be in charge of everything by default. Does anybody have any other manga requests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

He pops up looking a little rough, and then we go back to the bad guy who's now missing an arm, and then you're suddenly wondering whose blood the old man was covered in

Ice Head Gil: went out the same it came in: with a wet fart

Blue Box: I do appreciate the series going "let's just pull this bandaid off." The mangaka really does seem to have a limit to how long they'll indulge some romcom tropes

The thing that stood out to me about Ice Head Gil's ending is that it rushed its rushing, having the last part of the already abridged final arc all covered in narration. And the saddest thing is the full drawn out version that could exist still would have nothing that would stand out at all.

Most canned Jump comics, I can point to at least one small thing that, in a surviving series, would have been distinct. Not necessarily good, but distinct.

Ice Head Gil has nothing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Undead Unluck: It kinda just slipped my mind but Feng wasn't a Negator in the first loop was he? Him being Unfade is new this time right? Also it only just hit me that huh, yeah, no wonder Move wasn't letting Andy just kill Sick. He's got all of Vichtor's powers now, he shot his arm from the Sun to Earth and it reformed into an entire body. That was like, the last trick he hadn't figured out before he decided to be allies with them.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Undead Unluck: It kinda just slipped my mind but Feng wasn't a Negator in the first loop was he? Him being Unfade is new this time right?

No, Feng was still Unfade in the original loop, but the difference was that there it only kicked in once he was an old man.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Ice Head Gil has nothing.

You're wrong. No one was better than him when it came to axes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

No, Feng was still Unfade in the original loop, but the difference was that there it only kicked in once he was an old man.

Ohhhhhhh, I thought he was just a powerless insanely powerful martial artist first go around. Like how Shen did just fine in the last loop fighting Void and Yusai even without being able to use his Negator ability by then Okay neat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I need to reread the Summer arc but I thought there was a bit in there about how Feng wasn't a Negator. I guess I'm misremembering.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

I need to reread the Summer arc but I thought there was a bit in there about how Feng wasn't a Negator. I guess I'm misremembering.

No, he always was. That is why he was able to survive the backlash when he brought Rip back to life. He was over 150 years old by that point.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Related to the current discussion Andy realizing Feng wasn't using an ability at all and is just a really good martial artist is a really good moment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Related to the current discussion Andy realizing Feng wasn't using an ability at all and is just a really good martial artist is a really good moment.

Yeah, I think the scene being thought of is that one. Where the realization isn't that Feng isn't a negator but rather than his negating skill has nothing to do with the fact he will absolutely gently caress anyone and everyone up in a fair fight and in most unfair fights.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of Feng, i love that the super Unluck bullet early on post-timeskip just summoned him, to gently caress the UMA up with the severity of a meteor strike. He kinda rules when he’s not murdering other characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah Feng was explicitly a negator in his first appearance because he still spoke Chinese, in fact Chinese was all he could speak so his allies couldn’t understand him.

The Union people have auto translators on their ties which is why they could understand him.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I was super confused watching the anime because I remembered the thing with language being the other way around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I was super confused watching the anime because I remembered the thing with language being the other way around.

Lol, same.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Uuuuh you ok Mr. Priest? :stare:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Marriagetoxin Ghost dude is creepy but I think he's going to wind up being the best counselor this daughter/father needed to settle their differences.

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: :wtc:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Marriagetoxin Ghost dude is creepy but I think he's going to wind up being the best counselor this daughter/father needed to settle their differences.

How was your first comment not about JACK THE UPPER.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

marriagetoxin likers be informed: we have a gerocentric thread now

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think the scene being thought of is that one. Where the realization isn't that Feng isn't a negator but rather than his negating skill has nothing to do with the fact he will absolutely gently caress anyone and everyone up in a fair fight and in most unfair fights.

That's exactly what had me confused. I thought his power was 'He is insanely strong' and 'he has three artifacts with him' Didn't register that he also had a Negator ability because 'Martial artist living well into their hundreds and still throwing hands with demons, behemoths and Waffle House customers' isn't that outlandish of an archetype by now.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

How was your first comment not about JACK THE UPPER.

That's easy and it was already covered in the manga panel thread. Gamer Ghost user however is going to heal people through healthy 1v1 on final destination. No items, fox only.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lt. Lizard posted:

Undead Unluck: Between this, Sound Hashira from Demon Slayer and, of course, 100 Girlfriends there is a surprising amount of shonen series saying "gently caress monogamy" recently. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgFyCuKoEGA

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Uuuuh you ok Mr. Priest? :stare:

Been a while since a manga made me go :stare:, but boy did this chapter do it.

"Oh. I can revive them if they die." :wtc:

Dark Doctor Ikuru: How many months has it been since a new chapter?

Daddy and Buddy: I'm not sure if I'm feeling this one. It's kind of got this retro tokusatsu vibe going where we're following the exploits of a group of superheroes dedicated to protecting children, but even with the focus being more on the realities of dealing with aging and the mundanity of it being a job, it's just not interesting. The characters are just bland as hell, and the stakes feel incredibly low.

And the title sucks

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I assume the last few lines in the newest Shibatarian chapter is a Japanese pun

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I was wondering why dogsred was set in 2011. and now I know

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I love the detail of Rou's bandage falling off and revealing his scar at the same time that he's spilling his guts and telling his sister how he really feels.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Daddy and Buddy: I'm not sure if I'm feeling this one. It's kind of got this retro tokusatsu vibe going where we're following the exploits of a group of superheroes dedicated to protecting children, but even with the focus being more on the realities of dealing with aging and the mundanity of it being a job, it's just not interesting. The characters are just bland as hell, and the stakes feel incredibly low.

And the title sucks

I can't get over the bizarre combination of criteria needed to be a "buddy". 3 largely unrelated requirements, one of which is kind of a super power already.

1) Must be good at gymnastics
2) Must be good with children
3) Must be able to see the weird spirits

It's hard to come up with something dumber, even if you're actively trying.

Look pal, in order to be an Avian Ranger you need three things:
1) To play the piano
2) To have an affinity with birds
3) You must be able to talk to animals

To be a Cat Companion you're gonna need
1)To master the art of interpretative dance
2)A diet that consists solely of fish
3)The ability to read the minds of cats

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Elite posted:

I can't get over the bizarre combination of criteria needed to be a "buddy". 3 largely unrelated requirements, one of which is kind of a super power already.

1) Must be good at gymnastics
2) Must be good with children
3) Must be able to see the weird spirits

It's hard to come up with something dumber, even if you're actively trying.

Look pal, in order to be an Avian Ranger you need three things:
1) To play the piano
2) To have an affinity with birds
3) You must be able to talk to animals

To be a Cat Companion you're gonna need
1)To master the art of interpretative dance
2)A diet that consists solely of fish
3)The ability to read the minds of cats

And then after finding someone who ticks all three boxes (which in theory must be extremely rare), you check their age and go, "oh wait, you're getting close to 30, not sure if we want you now."

Which, yeah, you age out of certain jobs (especially athletes), so you could find something to say about finding meaning in the time you have to perform a task to a certain level, but A) it's not the MC that's dealing with it, it's his senior partner, and B) going back to the above, you have an extremely limited pool of candidates to select a workforce from, and if these weird spirits are as dangerous to children as they're presented, you should be all over hiring the MC, not hemming and hawing while one of your other workers is using magic steroids just to be able to continue to perform his job. Again, there is something that could be said here, but from what I've seen of the writing, I don't think it's capable

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

I assume the last few lines in the newest Shibatarian chapter is a Japanese pun

If there's one thing studying Japanese has taught me, it's that everything is a Japanese pun.

Interesting that Triffids is the Night of the Living Dead inspiration our hero goes for.

Me, I'd look back to Last Man on Earth, based on I am Legend by Mattheson. Maybe Carnival of Souls too.

Then again, those are... much less helpful when trying to find a way to a happy ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dogsred question, did it get completely restarted or is it a continuation of the original run?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Mikane and The Sea Woman: Uuuuh, bottom of the sea really isn't a nice place. :stare:

Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: Aino: I solve my problems by running away from them. Buddy, you sure that won't bite you horribly in the rear end? And why do I get a feeling that the story is slowly moving pieces to trigger a huge heart-crushing disaster?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mikane:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

So they think eating a human will make them... human, but maybe they also used to be human?

Also, was I the only one who thought the mermaid with the short hair was the kid at first?

Tsuroku Returns the Favor: gotta be honest, I might be more concerned about this new character making a move on the female MC than I am about the male MC at this point

Beat & Motion: I wasn't feeling this one at the beginning, but I think it's hit a pretty good stride now. The current story arc has been pretty good

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

So they think eating a human will make them... human, but maybe they also used to be human?

Also, was I the only one who thought the mermaid with the short hair was the kid at first?

I think a pretty obvious twist would be that a mermaid, that gives in into her hunger for human flesh and devours a human, will turn into one of the weird shapeshifting carnivorous monsters and not into a human. The black slug mermaid that devoured (?) the scientist's father doesn't seem to appear again either in the sea, or on the surface, so that would track.

Also I really like all the mermaid designs. They are cute.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double:

The risks new girl took were calculated. But she's really bad at math. Telekinesis is overpowered.

Mikane and the Sea Woman: Very interesting development. Chapter is a great reminder why the ocean is always going to be a horrifying setting and the fact that it opens with a fish being casually devoured only for the script to be flipped on the other mermaids was darkly funny to me.

Lt. Lizard posted:

I think a pretty obvious twist would be that a mermaid, that gives in into her hunger for human flesh and devours a human, will turn into one of the weird shapeshifting carnivorous monsters and not into a human. The black slug mermaid that devoured (?) the scientist's father doesn't seem to appear again either in the sea, or on the surface, so that would track.

Also I really like all the mermaid designs. They are cute.

Knowing now that these Mermaids are former humans, it's possible that the black haired mermaid just left the island and went back to her normal life after regaining her humanity. She could easily have stolen some clothing and money and hopped on the first boat back assuming her memories came back as well. Could lead to a small journey to find her on the mainland

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Mikane and the Sea Woman: Very interesting development. Chapter is a great reminder why the ocean is always going to be a horrifying setting and the fact that it opens with a fish being casually devoured only for the script to be flipped on the other mermaids was darkly funny to me.

Knowing now that these Mermaids are former humans, it's possible that the black haired mermaid just left the island and went back to her normal life after regaining her humanity. She could easily have stolen some clothing and money and hopped on the first boat back assuming her memories came back as well. Could lead to a small journey to find her on the mainland

The scientist noted that the black haired mermaid looked like his mother, so if mermaids are former humans, it was most likely it her. So, if she really turned into human, that opens a whole lot of new questions about her memories, her motivation and her mental state, considering that that would mean she ate her husband and then left her former human life and her son behind.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Sakamoto Days:Unexpected Kaiju fight but that window smash was amazing.

Goosebump Girlfriend: Yeah, this chapter is just sad.

Lt. Lizard posted:

The scientist noted that the black haired mermaid looked like his mother, so if mermaids are former humans, it was most likely it her. So, if she really turned into human, that opens a whole lot of new questions about her memories, her motivation and her mental state, considering that that would mean she ate her husband and then left her former human life and her son behind.

If my assumption is right, it might mean the mother fleeing once she fully realizes what she's done. Even if the lack of memory at the time and the desire for human flesh are ultimately what pushed her to killing her husband in the first place.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck: Sure, a cooking contest won't even make me raise an eyebrow at this point.

Kagurabachi: Honestly I might just stick permanent "competent, but nothing special" comment here and not bother anymore.

MamaYuyu: I think that the Idol Demon Lord(Lady? Queen?) made the whole series like 5 times better. And a Hero that has a very understandable beef with Demon Lords and won't play nice with them is interesting and natural development.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: The protagonist situation sucks and is a bit too real, but I also have to admire the series going to character who got over being a Yandare and literally saying "No, you have gone too soft, you have to turn back into Yandere!" :v:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: The protagonist situation sucks and is a bit too real, but I also have to admire the series going to character who got over being a Yandare and literally saying "No, you have gone too soft, you have to turn back into Yandere!" :v:

Yeah, it's an interesting twist. I don't hate it.

Witch Watch: Awwww, I actually teared up at the end of the chapter :3:

Kill Blue: A beach episode is NOT going to go well for the old man

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Undead Unluck: Sure, a cooking contest won't even make me raise an eyebrow at this point.

Undead Unluck has basically become the mangaka wanting to explore every genre/setting he possibly can before Ragnarok II and I am all the way here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fuko isn't just going for the good ending, she's going for 100% completion which includes the inexplicable weird minigames. Looking forward to the team effortlessly clearing Ragnarok.

Also tsundere apocalypse lol