Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Secret of NIMH

i didnt realize until partway through that i already consumed Don Bluth en masse as a child with Land Before Time. still though, really wish this movie wasn't a generation before me given how whimsical it was. love Bluth's exaggerated and overemotive style, really lends well to making a real life setting seem like a fantasy world. surprisingly dark too, this likely would've hosed me up if i did watch it as a child lol. all in all, really good stuff. 7.5/10

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Secret of NIMH, haven’t seen this in like 20 years. When I was a kid my favorite movie was All Dogs Go to Heaven so I’m a Bluth fan, and the animation in nimh is great. Lots of little details in the world happening around the characters, and some show off sequences like the soap bubbles, there was a lot of care put into it. Did a great job of making the world as threatening as it should be drom a mouse’s perspective .

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Secret of NIMH - solid bluth outing. i didn't watch this one as much as all dogs go to heaven or the first land before time, so its not as burnt into my memories. beautiful animation throughout as usual for don bluth, makes a lot of contemporaries from around that era look like dogshit in comparision. decent story, solid pick leadthumb 3.5/5

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i really liked all of the environment art in the movie. mr. age's lab inside the broken down harvester, the great owl's lair, the path to the inner sanctum of the rat city under the rosebush, even the kitchen inside the farmhouse felt like it was alive.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think i have synechdoche on dvd

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
synedocne new york is a hella smart, funny and sad movie
this is the second time ive seen it, so i was prepared
dont usually like psychoanalysing directors/writers based on their movies, but charlie kaufman is an insanely depressed man w/ a really sad of way looking at life. do not invite him to a hang out
4/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fucker posted:

synedocne new york is a hella smart, funny and sad movie
this is the second time ive seen it, so i was prepared
dont usually like psychoanalysing directors/writers based on their movies, but charlie kaufman is an insanely depressed man w/ a really sad of way looking at life. do not invite him to a hang out
4/5

hoffman must have hung out with him a lot

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

drat

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

STONE COLD 64 posted:

hoffman must have hung out with him a lot

:zoro:

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

u should join the club and do some reviews and such. i want to see what hosed up movies u suggest

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

NIMH is great and oozing with that classic Don Bluth charm but the magic amulet thing doesn't really work with a story about escaped lab rats.

On the whole, I'd strongly recommend the book for anyone who hasn't read it. It focuses heavily on the rats' origin, the lab escape and the foundations of their philosophy and it's a shame that was reduced to a footnote in the movie.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

super sweet best pal posted:

NIMH is great and oozing with that classic Don Bluth charm but the magic amulet thing doesn't really work with a story about escaped lab rats.

On the whole, I'd strongly recommend the book for anyone who hasn't read it. It focuses heavily on the rats' origin, the lab escape and the foundations of their philosophy and it's a shame that was reduced to a footnote in the movie.

coming around full circle to just making an IZ book club

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

book club pick by rodbeard is Crank: High Voltage - The Novelization

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Nimh was nice, been a while since I've seen it. Bluth definitely falls into the school of thought were it's more important for scenes to look and feel compelling than to have any underlying cohesion or flow. Like it bounces around between tech and magic and everything in between because obviously he knows it's a kids film and it's more important to create memorable snapshots for children then to do like worldbuilding or nerdy poo poo for adults. I really appreciate how intense and uncompromising a lot of scenes feel for a kids film, all of the 'magic' is super visceral and the action scenes are very frantic and chaotic. 3/5. Woulda been a 4 but I really hate the loving bird.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The Secret of NIMH

This didn't really grab me overall but theres still things I want to mention liking

Brisby's design is great

Jonathan being totally in the past and the way the characters know and love and talk of him

The scene with Brisby trying to escape the cage is wonderful. trying to unlock the door, pushing the water tub, and the tub hitting the ground. That was all very close up, great for storytelling feeling cramped like in a cage, but also great for showcasing the animation of her movements and the water

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

book club pick by rodbeard is Crank: High Voltage - The Novelization

Don't blame me for that. I haven't had a pick yet.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Synecdoche was a neat ride. Could probably have used some cuts at the start before his wife left and at the end after he completely lost himself and became Ellen, since that's where it drags the most.

Honestly, if I were given infinite money to do a multi-stage project like he was attempting I'd probably keep it simple, something more akin to Night Trap, and force the audience to attend multiple performances in order to get everything.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
the secret of nimh was still good i used to watch it all the time as a kid

hey fungah! wil wheaton is in this movie lol i saw that in the credits

but yeah not incredibly much to say, gorgeous animation, heartwarming story with mature, dark moments that used to be peppered in childrens media

music was alright and fit the moods of the scenes

still love the movie nostalgically speaking but if i wasnt to allow that to factor in

probably a solid 8.5/10 not the greatest even among movies made for kids but still very enjoyable and worth a watch

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

starbarry clock posted:

the secret of nimh was still good i used to watch it all the time as a kid

hey fungah! wil wheaton is in this movie lol i saw that in the credits

but yeah not incredibly much to say, gorgeous animation, heartwarming story with mature, dark moments that used to be peppered in childrens media

music was alright and fit the moods of the scenes

still love the movie nostalgically speaking but if i wasnt to allow that to factor in

probably a solid 8.5/10 not the greatest even among movies made for kids but still very enjoyable and worth a watch

lol whoa, I missed that

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so is shannon doherty

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Fucker posted:

u should join the club and do some reviews and such. i want to see what hosed up movies u suggest

:cheers: this one's been on my list for so long and i've also been wanting to check off the rest of the PSH films i never got around to. saw this last night, slept on it. resisting the urge to read up on everything that's been said on it to get my thoughts out first

the dark comedy and stilted dialog with the various doctors and therapist made me think of the lobster and killing of a sacred deer, although very quickly i think the film's, idk how to put it, deliberate artifice and emphasis on symbols surpassed Yorgos' style. i was dimly aware of the premise and was surprised at the surreal elements i'd have assumed would come later during the warehouse scenes, like hazel buying a house on fire or sammy clearly stalking caden, showing up so quickly. the result for me is that once the play started, it wasn't so much a descent into madness like i thought it'd be. the world was already so strange. instead its just kinda sad how little a difference it makes once caden assumes some kind of control

philip seymour hoffman is loving great in this start to finish. the way he listlessly reads the news or makes alarming statements about his health to his disinterested wife is painful you gotta lol. he's an accomplished director but is near entirely passive, like he only has things happen to him, sometimes he tries to react to them. his health is out of his control and spiraling, his wife calls him an artistic chump and leaves him. he gets a ton of money to try to prove her wrong but all he ends up doing is creating the same problems over and over again. my ultimate sense of him is he feels that he must create, and is also trying to create a world where there is a version of himself that he could stand, and that could be loved by the world around him. but because he will always try to fulfill his role, and because of his fundamental flaws, the process is repeated in increasingly distorted ways until he is pushed out of his own life, and ultimately out of control of his own actions as he is finally directed at the end. i really liked how the set and cast unraveled along with him. the ending was really haunting.

there's a lot about women and his transformation into ellen that i think i'll have to wait for a rewatch to have more of an opinion on. i feel like i should also really get around to muhlolland drive, i bet the films have a couple things in common

great pick

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok gonna watch synecdoche new york tuesday but this is the LAST FUCKIN MOVIE I'M RENTNG THIS YEAR FOR THIS CLUB. CHRIST

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
Synedoche, New York

im not sure i 100% got it but more like synapse, new york amirite

its very very very very sad

but i did laugh at a few scenes

i thought the realtor showing off the house and trying to sell it while it was on fire was funny

and i thought the way they described how his father died of cancer was hilarious and then that extra small coffin put me over the edge

as i said i dont get how some of the events are connected, i guess uh...

the play is a man on a deathbed reliving his memories, but as he slips further and further into the lonesome oblivion these memories begin failing him and end up becoming distorted, and as the cast which are his brains synapses start fading, he ends up alone in the shell of his brain with only one memory left to cling to as he passes on

that said, PSH as the director of the brain might not even be the actual physical person, i get some hints it might be his daughter? its the little girl dying maybe? im still pretty confused

reminded me a lot of The Master

but yeah overall i liked it but now im depressed thanks rear end in a top hat
10/10

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 13, 2023

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

starbarry clock posted:

Synedoche, New York

i thought the realtor showing off the house and trying to sell it while it was on fire was funny

and i thought the way they described how his father died of cancer was hilarious and then that extra small coffin put me over the edge

the play is a man on a deathbed reliving his memories, but as he slips further and further into the lonesome oblivion these memories begin failing him and end up becoming distorted, and as the cast which are his brains synapses start fading, he ends up alone in the shell of his brain with only one memory left to cling to as he passes on

that said, PSH as the director of the brain might not even be the actual physical person, i get some hints it might be his daughter? its the little girl dying maybe? im still pretty confused

10/10

natch its up to interpretation and all, but i think ur taking it too literally. i think its supposed to be seen more as some david lynch type logic. the guy is literally getting a trillion actors to act out reality. he switches places w/ the actress that was meant to play ellen (the cleaning lady) so thats what happens at the end

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

Synedoche, New York

10/10

i'm impressed you managed to overthink this movie

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

natch its up to interpretation and all, but i think ur taking it too literally. i think its supposed to be seen more as some david lynch type logic. the guy is literally getting a trillion actors to act out reality. he switches places w/ the actress that was meant to play ellen (the cleaning lady) so thats what happens at the end

i think its more literal to take it as is than to think of things more symbolically but yeah its a crazy movie

I got the tude now posted:

i'm impressed you managed to overthink this movie

it just doesnt make much sense otherwise lol but that could be the point

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 13, 2023

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Secret of NIMH - I wasn't really invested in the story, but I'm sure I would have liked it if I had grown up with it. I was really impressed with the animation, though. Despite it being their first movie and having a pretty low budget, they really went all out. One stand-out moment for me was a scene of Mrs. Brisby walking and talking with someone where the animators had her constantly climbing over things and having her animation cels appear to be partially obscured behind background elements. It's the kind of scene that is normally kept pretty static to save on time and cost and they did all this extra work to make
it look more dynamic just to show off that they could.

4/5

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Posting real quick to say that I watched The Secret of NIMH, before time runs out and the new film is announced. Will post my detailed thoughts on it and Synecdoche New York when I have more time to sit down and write out my thoughts but suffice to say for now that I'm grateful to BBV movie club because I enjoyed both and likely would never have watched either without them being picks for the club.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jenny Agutter made this week's pick.

Bacurau - dir. by Juliano Dornelles & Kleber Mendonça Filho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhjqvb60LLw

quote:

After the death of her grandmother, Teresa comes home to her matriarchal village in a near-future Brazil to find a succession of sinister events that mobilizes all of its residents.

This film will expire November 27.

Bacurau can be found on the following streaming services.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im gonna watch synecdoche tonight. come to think of it this is the first time i'll be watching a dvd on my series x.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Jenny Agutter made this week's pick.

Bacurau - dir. by Juliano Dornelles & Kleber Mendonça Filho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhjqvb60LLw

This film will expire November 27.

Bacurau can be found on the following streaming services.

alright Jenny give me money

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Never heard of it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy poo poo lol that was going to be my pick! I watched Bacurau on a pre-release with a QnA from the director and some of the actors because it was filmed on my state and I really liked it and had a good time talking with the actor who plays the outlaw that helps the villagers kill the hunters It's a good rear end movie, rewatched it earlier this year too, but might do it a third time.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Don't know anything about it but Jenny's earned my trust after picking Under the Shadow for the exscreamvaganza which was one of my favorites of the event, so I'll definitely give it a watch.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I also have it available through Hoopla, through my library, so that’s another option

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Holy poo poo lol that was going to be my pick! I watched Bacurau on a pre-release with a QnA from the director and some of the actors because it was filmed on my state and I really liked it and had a good time talking with the actor who plays the outlaw that helps the villagers kill the hunters It's a good rear end movie, rewatched it earlier this year too, but might do it a third time.

lol I think I first saw it based on your recommendation in phiz, now I feel bad for stealing your pick

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nah I got something else lined up :cheers:. I'll probs have to leave a NIMH review later, watched it earlier today but am tired as gently caress to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I also watched NIMH earlier, will leave thoughts on the movie here soon