Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Silver Falcon posted:

Slightly off-topic, but I was recently on a trip to the southern hemisphere. And lemme tell you, you think those constellations are bad? Go to the southern hemisphere where they have such things as a bunch of lines (telescope), a diamond, a triangle, and a different diamond (cross).

The Zodiac ones at least kinda sorta look like what they're supposed to be, if you squint. Old timey explorers down there seriously phoned it in!

Back in the 1700s, astronomers decided to arrange this whole sky business properly once and for all, and fill in all the blanks between the famous constellations, even if there was absolutely nothing of note in the gaps. So you get terrible stuff like Telescopium and Triangulum Australis. Or Lynx, so named because you'd need the eyes of a lynx to spot it, apparently.
The best shady old-school astronomer story, though, relates to alpha and beta delphini, named Suolacin and Rotanev. These names were diligently copied into star charts by astronomers for decades before it was realised they'd all been played for ABSOLUTE FOOLS. The italian astronomer Nicolo Cacciatore had translated his name into latin, written it backwards, and then snuck these names into his star charts next to some otherwise obscure little stars. And now the names are there forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
edit: wrong thread

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The platters in hard drives (the ones that still use spinning rust, anyway) are sometimes very brittle and prone to shattering all over the place.

On the plus side, I have successfully securely deleted the contents of that old hard drive! :v:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My understanding is they're also full of extremely toxic heavy metals!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

Back in the 1700s, astronomers decided to arrange this whole sky business properly once and for all, and fill in all the blanks between the famous constellations, even if there was absolutely nothing of note in the gaps. So you get terrible stuff like Telescopium and Triangulum Australis. Or Lynx, so named because you'd need the eyes of a lynx to spot it, apparently.
The best shady old-school astronomer story, though, relates to alpha and beta delphini, named Suolacin and Rotanev. These names were diligently copied into star charts by astronomers for decades before it was realised they'd all been played for ABSOLUTE FOOLS. The italian astronomer Nicolo Cacciatore had translated his name into latin, written it backwards, and then snuck these names into his star charts next to some otherwise obscure little stars. And now the names are there forever.

Yeah the astronomers and cartographers back then often went "Ah gently caress it, just fill in the blank spaces with whatever" which often had unintended consequences in later years. 16th century French mathematician Oronce Fine used to create world maps by combining established partial maps with incomplete data from recent expditions but also with myths and legends from the medieval era into one big mess and on his 1531 map he invented a gigantic continent at the south pole which was several times larger than South America. In recent times this has been latched onto by conspiracy theorists as "proof" that Antarctica wasn't covered by ice during that period (?) which is somehow evidence that global warming isn't real (????) or something

Here's a 20 minute video which pieces together the actual geographical details which Oronce Fine smooshed together to create his imaginary supercontinent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBRMy-6YXcs

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

My understanding is they're also full of extremely toxic heavy metals!

Apparently the more recent ones use cobalt, yeah. This one was 15 years old, dunno how that stacks up. I cleaned thoroughly!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The platters in hard drives (the ones that still use spinning rust, anyway) are sometimes very brittle and prone to shattering all over the place.

On the plus side, I have successfully securely deleted the contents of that old hard drive! :v:

I learned a similar lesson with an old copy of Brood War

Snapped into a thousand tiny pieces in the cd rom drive while it was spinning up

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I just discovered that TLO Rollcall is basically a parody of Lip Gloss by Lil Mama.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hardcordion posted:

I just discovered that TLO Rollcall is basically a parody of Lip Gloss by Lil Mama.

poo poo, I never knew that. Our version has better flow, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y3NQi_RAY

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I guess it's more accurate to say TLO samples Lip Gloss. Either way, for a few seconds it was very weird to hear that beat on a bar's speaker system.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hardcordion posted:

I guess it's more accurate to say TLO samples Lip Gloss. Either way, for a few seconds it was very weird to hear that beat on a bar's speaker system.

Oh poo poo, I hope you didn't start singing along and embarrass yourself.

One time Under Pressure started playing and I started singing Ice Ice Baby by mistake but I think I got away with it

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One time Under Pressure started playing and I started singing Ice Ice Baby by mistake but I think I got away with it

It was slightly embarrassing to be like "Oh poo poo I know this! ...wait, nevermind" to my trivia teammates.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

You didn't. Everyone was sneering at you

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tree Bucket posted:

You didn't. Everyone was sneering at you

No! No!!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Hardcordion posted:

It was slightly embarrassing to be like "Oh poo poo I know this! ...wait, nevermind" to my trivia teammates.

Better than my reaction in 2019 when I found out

Friend posted:

Same for me a couple weeks ago at a Mavericks game. I shot forward in my seat and said "LIP GLOSS IS TLO ROLL CALL!" and then turned to my wife and said "remind me to show you a video about anime when we get home."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had a similar reaction when I found out Neil C did Brody Quest.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There's a Metallica B-side from Death Magnetic called "Hate Train", which is cringeworthy enough for starting off with the lyric "Hate! Is a train!" But I also just realized it's supposed to rhyme with "freight train" :ughh:

(Still a pretty sick song all things considered, should've been on the album)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Sir Lemming posted:

There's a Metallica B-side from Death Magnetic called "Hate Train", which is cringeworthy enough for starting off with the lyric "Hate! Is a train!" But I also just realized it's supposed to rhyme with "freight train" :ughh:

Should have gone with "All aboard the hate train! HAHAHA!" as a Ozzy/Sabbath homage.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Bette Midler and Barbara Streisand are different people. :psyduck:

Like, I must have known on some instinctive level that they were different people because they had different names, but I just conceptually smooshed them together. And so Barbara Streisand didn't sing "Wind Beneath My Wings". Maybe the Mandela effect is real after all. :psyduck:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Streisand just wrote an autobiography where she claims Mandy Patinkin broke down in tears because she wouldn't sleep with him.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Blurred posted:

Like, I must have known on some instinctive level that they were different people because they had different names, but I just conceptually smooshed them together. And so Barbara Streisand didn't sing "Wind Beneath My Wings". Maybe the Mandela effect is real after all. :psyduck:

No, they're the sa-
What-

:psyduck:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Metalocalypse did it first/better

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Metalocalypse did it first/better

I only recently realized that the creator of Metalocalypse and Home Movies are the same guy. He also voices half the band and does the writing/singing/guitar/bass himself. The dude is crazy funny and talented.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Well for one they spell and pronounce their names differently

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Chad Jihad posted:

I’m still not convinced he’s not related to Nixon

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wooo, wooo, wooo-ooh, wooo, wooo, wooo-ooh
Wooo, wooo, wooo-ooh, wooo, wooo, wooo
Bette Midler

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Chad Jihad posted:

Hey you never know, it could be an Iain Banks / Iain M Banks situation where they use a different name for their other project

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Hey you never know, it could be an Iain Banks / Iain M Banks situation where they use a different name for their other project

Are they related to the serial experiments?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

One of my favorite bits in Hot Fuzz is how there's a night desk sergeant played by Bill Bailey who's introduced reading a book by Iain Banks, and then the next morning there's a daytime desk sergeant played by Bill Bailey in a different haircut, reading a book by Iain M. Banks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phy posted:

One of my favorite bits in Hot Fuzz is how there's a night desk sergeant played by Bill Bailey who's introduced reading a book by Iain Banks, and then the next morning there's a daytime desk sergeant played by Bill Bailey in a different haircut, reading a book by Iain M. Banks

:laffo:

A new author fact and a new joke in a great movie, all in one day. :blessed:

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Blurred posted:

Took a while to realise that Barbra Streisand has one hit song called "Memory", and one where she sings the word "Memories..." at the start, but they aren't the same.

e: also they're both on an album called "Memories", but she doesn't have a song by that title

rollick has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Nov 18, 2023

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
A lute

Al-Oud

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Nov 24, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

tfw you learn something new in the thread

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He looks a bit pensive, maybe a shy al-Oud

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are you al-Ouding to something, there?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mary Wollstonecraft was Mary Shelley's loving mother? :tviv:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Animal-Mother posted:

I kinda assumed everyone knew this. Did you not even got to community college bro

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I did know someone who had a realization moment that Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was Mary Shelley.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Animal-Mother posted:

And her dad was William Godwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Milo and POTUS posted:

I kinda assumed everyone knew this. Did you not even got to community college bro

The only thing I remember from community college was that we had an English professor who wanted to do a whole unit on Hemingway, nine tenths of the students stopped coming to class, and then he got fired after telling us he wanted to re-enact his Vietnam War trauma upon us.