Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Lord Bude posted:

Have Christmas in Australia, you get to hear about snow when it’s 35c and customers are literally wandering in wearing speedos because they just spent the day at the pool or beach.

At least you have the excuse of seasons being opposite. We just have to deal with Christmas being warmer and warmer from climate change and the fact that no one will actually do anything except make vaguely soothing noises and false promises, at best.

Christmas in the northern hemisphere, and specifically someplace "colder" like in the American northeast, should not be t-shirt weather.

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Volmarias posted:

At least you have the excuse of seasons being opposite. We just have to deal with Christmas being warmer and warmer from climate change and the fact that no one will actually do anything except make vaguely soothing noises and false promises, at best.

Christmas in the northern hemisphere, and specifically someplace "colder" like in the American northeast, should not be t-shirt weather.

:smithicide:

I agree; and it’s gross that more isn’t being done. But I have to say, 70f is not tshirt weather, I’d be in a sweater if it was that cold. Even in winter here it’s normally warmer than that for most of the day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree; and it’s gross that more isn’t being done. But I have to say, 70f is not tshirt weather, I’d be in a sweater if it was that cold. Even in winter here it’s normally warmer than that for most of the day.

lol I am in shorts and sandals until it gets lower than 45 degrees.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

70 is perfect. Shorts and a T-shirt weather, baby.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I wear shorts all year long in Chicago winter.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Enjoying my escape from the inside of Amazon warehouses to the outside where I'm basically being paid my new wage to study for my CDL learner's permit for the last few weeks.

Unfortunately I have discovered that as much of a drudge working inside the Amazon Warehouse as an (ignored) worker drone could be it did save me from one fate: 8 hour zoom training lessons involving powerpoints of doom.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Had to listen to the Walmart Chant this morning while stacking sodas in the back. Can't believe they're still doing that embarrassing poo poo.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

ahaha they told my manager she was being transferred to a store an hour away after Christmas and she just went ahead and put her notice in. already has a non-retail job lined up

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alkydere posted:

8 hour zoom training lessons involving powerpoints of doom.

Wow that game can really run on anything

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Agents are GO! posted:

Wow that game can really run on anything

You joke, but PowerPoint is Turing complete, so I wouldn't be surprised...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I swung by Michael's today to pick up some more canvas because the weather is finally nice and if I can do my dirty pour paints, and all the signage said they had Black Friday early and so these were Black Friday prices. Now if I want to get some paint because these do take quite a bit of paint, think the price is going to be the same on Friday because I really don't want to go shopping then just on the principled stand.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
My experience with Michaels is they always put up their sales super early and if you wait everything will be picked through so probably better to just buy now.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My Black Friday complaint is that our company doesn't even have Black Friday sales why do I have to be there at 7 am Friday and Saturday?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I swung by Michael's today to pick up some more canvas because the weather is finally nice and if I can do my dirty pour paints, and all the signage said they had Black Friday early and so these were Black Friday prices. Now if I want to get some paint because these do take quite a bit of paint, think the price is going to be the same on Friday because I really don't want to go shopping then just on the principled stand.

Go now. Don't wait til Friday.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Actually I just ordered the stuff online, a bunch of paint I would have had to pick about different store so just easier to get it online from the warehouse I guess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Most retailers , especially post Covid, have expanded Black Friday promos to be 2 weeks or all of November in some cases. Probably easier on staffing and inventory.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Duckman2008 posted:

Most retailers , especially post Covid, have expanded Black Friday promos to be 2 weeks or all of November in some cases. Probably easier on staffing and inventory.

Yeah in the UK (where we now have Black Friday for some reason) all these sales have been on for at least a week already, some places started in October. Its honestly kinda surprising that some US stores still seemingly insist on it being a one-day you must leave the house thing.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

njsykora posted:

Yeah in the UK (where we now have Black Friday for some reason) all these sales have been on for at least a week already, some places started in October. Its honestly kinda surprising that some US stores still seemingly insist on it being a one-day you must leave the house thing.

The US has Thanksgiving and so the corresponding Friday off for a vast majority of folks, the UK don’t have a similar single focal point, nor the cultural framing that comes with it, so it’s easier to turn into a general consumerist mush to spread about pre-Christmas.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Working at an Amazon warehouse means that you have limited contact with the outside public. And yet, even then, not even done training and I have an idiot vendor story.

Trainer is giving us some time to drive and get familiar with the hostler cabs we use in the yard. Other student goes first to do a few laps around the yard. As they drive away a pickup truck pulls up. I'm sitting here wondering what the gently caress is a pickup, probably someone's daily driver, is doing in a loving trailer yard at a warehouse. Dude comes out of his truck, sees me looking at him and walks over to me. Sticks his hand out and my Southern White Male Reflexes take over and I shake his hand before conscious thought happens as he introduces himself, and I myself.

"Wait, you're not [manager]?"

"No sir, I'm just a new trainee. But if you go through that door you can find someone who can help you."

Guy thanks me and disappears into the door to the trucker's cage. Basically a bathroom and lounge area where truckers can rest with a security checkpoint right next to the TOM desk.

Dude doesn't come out for a couple minutes and I'm just sitting there waiting for my turn so I decide to go in and get out of the cold wind. The vendor is still waiting there, talking through the security turnstile with the transport team and one of the two security guards. Security guard is telling him "Yeah, [Manager] has been at the front desk for over an hour waiting for you." While trying to raise his boss at the front desk who's slow to answer her radio. The entire time the vendor is standing there with arms crossed as if it's OUR fault he's late and came in a service entrance instead of the building's front entrance.

When it's all cleared up the vendor wants in the building and security is all "Nuh, uh! you gotta go back around to the front since you don't have a badge! Speaking which: how did you get into the yard without a badge?" So yeah this guy just blew past the security gatehouse. To be fair the gates are kept open but the gatehouse is still staffed and he just drove past them.

NOW IT GETS BETTER!

See, I touched base with [manager] later when I overheard someone else telling him some vendor was asking for him at another site.

So [manager] had a meeting scheduled with that vendor a little over hour before I ran into him. After about half an hour late the vendor had called [manager] to see where he's at and why he's not at the building. Manager is all "Uh...my office is at [A5], you're at [S2]. Did you just show up at a random Amazon warehouse for our appointment looking for me?"

Now to be fair, [manager] is in charge of working with vendors to get maintenance and repairs done on our trucks and trailers and his responsibilities so he does visit a lot of sites but his office is where his office is. You can't just show up to another building and expect him to materialize. Thankfully the sites are only about 20 minutes apart so manager gives directions. Telling the vendor "It's where you delivered all the Freightliner trucks a few weeks ago." Apparently the vendor works with a dealership to deliver vehicles. This is also probably why the guy went in the service/trailer yard entrance.

About 25 minutes later [manager] and security hear a banging on one of the dock doors near the security desk. Confused they walk over, open it up and there's a grumpy dude who asks. "Hey, where's the trucker's lounge?" At which point [manager] and security look at each other, shrug. "It's about 30 dock doors down." and close the door when the guy walks off. Guess who the random jackass was? That's right it was the vendor. At no point did the guy say anything about being the vendor or looking for [manager]. Just "Where's the lounge."

So the guy obviously walked halfway down the building, went to the trucker's lounge, found it was the secondary one that doesn't even have a transportation team desk near it. At which point he got in his truck and drove back around the full U-shaped lot around the massive warehouse until he found the first gormless idiot who looked like he worked here, i.e.: me, and assumed I was [manager].

And then had to be told "Dude, go to the front door like a normal person!"

TCE
Feb 26, 2016
Today a man came in looking for a fairly cheap but also pretty rare dental floss we carry. He had seen on our online store that we had a ton in stock, so he wanted us to know he drove two hours in from another State to pick some up, that's how much he liked the product..... If he knew about our online store, why not get it online? :confused:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TCE posted:

Today a man came in looking for a fairly cheap but also pretty rare dental floss we carry. He had seen on our online store that we had a ton in stock, so he wanted us to know he drove two hours in from another State to pick some up, that's how much he liked the product..... If he knew about our online store, why not get it online? :confused:

His teeth are dirty NOW!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TCE posted:

lol $75 in gas for floss, sure guy

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I used to work in Finance, until my whole drat department got shitcanned at once. After a while, I followed my old boss to their new job, as they managed a Spirit Halloween. Honestly, it was great.

Anyway, I'm posting to thank this thread for properly grounding me, and serving as a reminder that my recent experiences - management that respected me, an entirely queer workforce, getting to tell customers "no" because the whole-rear end store would be gone next month - are not how retail usually goes (which, hell, I've done this before, I should know better).

TY for the course correction.

Specific retail grousing: I understand why people want to try stuff on before buying it, and yeah we didn't have fitting rooms. But why did so god drat many of my customers specifically choose the children's section to try on the horniest costumes we had, then leave them there?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

AmiYumi posted:

Specific retail grousing: I understand why people want to try stuff on before buying it, and yeah we didn't have fitting rooms. But why did so god drat many of my customers specifically choose the children's section to try on the horniest costumes we had, then leave them there?

No one was in the children's section at the time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I had a dream that annoying customers at work, when given answers they didn't like(like "we don't have this in stock" or "no, I can't re-arrange the entire store for your benefit") would screech and crawl into the shelving and we had to disassemble it to get them out and toss them out of the store.

In reality, I had a customer show up and ask a question, very normal customer behavior, then tell me he needed to think a bit before he got back to me, also normal customer behavior. Then whenever I was helping other customers near the desk for the next... half hour or so, he'd walk up, interrupt the conversation, and try to "help" them in the most abrasive way possible, with technically correct suggestions delivered with absolutely zero social considerations. At one point he almost got into a fight with someone over it. Eventually he gets back to me, asks me if we provide a certain service(transfer items from other stores to ours for free), I tell him we don't, he shrugs, says he'll fetch them himself, says thanks for the good service, leaves... and then the next day phones in to complain about me to the store manager. What an absolute rear end.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Had to go to a shithole grocery store in a shithole town that I used to deliver to. At one point when I got to the back room I apparently walked into the tail end of an argument where a manager was telling an employee that vaccines cause autism. This particular manager got ran out to this store from a much busier one because he's stupid as hell but I didn't know he was that stupid.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Discendo Vox posted:

No one was in the children's section at the time.
Dawg, I wasn't asking for someone to explain the logistics of trying on clothes, I was asking "in what world is it okay for you to strip down to your skivvies in the 'BOYS 8-12' aisle and then leave BDSM gear up on the Fortnite rack when it doesn't fit?"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

Dawg, I wasn't asking for someone to explain the logistics of trying on clothes, I was asking "in what world is it okay for you to strip down to your skivvies in the 'BOYS 8-12' aisle and then leave BDSM gear up on the Fortnite rack when it doesn't fit?"

Now I want to know why a store with a ‘Boys 8-12’ aisle also sells BDSM gear.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The Lord Bude posted:

Now I want to know why a store with a ‘Boys 8-12’ aisle also sells BDSM gear.

Spirit Halloween. There's a couple other companies around the US that do the same thing, like Halloween Express.

Basically what they do is find empty retail space they can lease for 90 days for pennies, ship in a shitload of cheaply made yard/party decorations and costumes for all ages (none of which will last more than one season), then dump their leftover inventory the first week of November, close up shop, and lay off the entire staff before anyone would be eligible for benefits.

It's "BDSM gear" in the same sense that polyester camo coveralls with "SWAT" on them and a pair of plastic handcuffs for a prop is "law enforcement gear"

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 29, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Spirit Halloween. There's a couple other companies around the US that do the same thing, like Halloween Express.

Basically what they do is find empty retail space they can lease for 90 days for pennies, ship in a shitload of cheaply made yard/party decorations and costumes for all ages (none of which will last more than one season), then dump their leftover inventory the first week of November, close up shop, and lay off the entire staff before anyone would be eligible for benefits.

It's "BDSM gear" in the same sense that polyester camo coveralls with "SWAT" on them and a pair of plastic handcuffs for a prop is "law enforcement gear"

Ok so we’re talking ‘horny’ by prudish American standards then, not regular standards. Of more concern is probably the ‘stripping down to underpants in the aisle’ thing. Although that being said I live in a country where you could walk into a grocery store in a pair of speedos and nobody would really give you a second glance (unless you’re hot and they wanted a perv).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tale as old as Time!
Song as old as Rhyme!
Corporate has hosed up again!

Amazon has cameras in the trucks and yard hostlers. Unsurprising if you've worked in the warehouses to be honest where they have cameras everywhere. Well Amazon is also trying out a new dashcam vendor at our hub of the network. So we did everything to get our new registration with them on Monday...only to find out the vendor sends stuff out at their own time. The normal people got this taken care of weeks ago but since we're new we only got it now.

Trainers: "Well, gently caress. Um, management says you can't sit around here and sit around for money..."

Home site: "You're on an utterly hosed shift schedule for our building's schedule, not even trained to use the hostlers, and we weren't expecting you for another week. Just sit around on the clock for money?"

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The Lord Bude posted:

Ok so we’re talking ‘horny’ by prudish American standards then, not regular standards. Of more concern is probably the ‘stripping down to underpants in the aisle’ thing.

Correct.

quote:

Although that being said I live in a country where you could walk into a grocery store in a pair of speedos and nobody would really give you a second glance (unless you’re hot and they wanted a perv).

Meh, this is generally considered socially acceptable in beach locales here, particularly during nicer months. You'd probably get shot if you did it in the midwest, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Correct.

Meh, this is generally considered socially acceptable in beach locales here, particularly during nicer months. You'd probably get shot if you did it in the midwest, though.

You missunderstand, here it happens even in the inner city, or random suburban stores. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. (It’s not common, but It happens). What is common though - I’d estimate anywhere from 10% to 30% of customers in the grocery store are barefoot at any given time, depending on time of year, and you’ll also see people in cafes and the like barefoot. And I’d say we get a good handful of shirtless dudes a day.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The Lord Bude posted:

You missunderstand, here it happens even in the inner city, or random suburban stores. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. (It’s not common, but It happens). What is common though - I’d estimate anywhere from 10% to 30% of customers in the grocery store are barefoot at any given time, depending on time of year, and you’ll also see people in cafes and the like barefoot. And I’d say we get a good handful of shirtless dudes a day.

Ah, I see. Yeah, going barefoot in public is definitely not socially acceptable here outside of very specific circumstances. Part of it is safety, but a lot of it is because footwear is a status symbol and barefoot = filthy poor. (I'm assuming you mean actual barefoot and not wearing flip flops/sandals because those are plenty common)

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 29, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Ah, I see. Yeah, going barefoot in public is definitely not socially acceptable here outside of very specific circumstances. Part of it is safety, but a lot of it is because footwear is a status symbol and barefoot = filthy poor. (I'm assuming you mean actual barefoot and not wearing flip flops/sandals because those are plenty common)

No actual barefoot. It’s something you’ll very quickly notice in Australia, in grocery stores, shopping malls, casual cafes, it’s very very normal to see people going barefoot.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You sometimes see people going barefoot in Arizona, but certainly not in the summer months. At least not willingly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
True story, the one and only weekend I ever spent in Arizona (Tucson) was in August... and the temperature never went above 82 degrees. The friend I'd come to visit said he'd been living there for nearly a decade and had never seen it that cool in August.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

After doing some yard work today I suspect I have found the real reason Amazon is trying to replace contract drivers.

Not because it saves money, gives them more control and tracking, the ability to make sure fleet is actually maintained (unlike the truck that broke down at the inbound gate today, blocking everyone until they could get security to find their rear end from their elbow to open the second lane). I mean, all of that stuff is true BUT ALSO

It's because there is a very noticeable minority of truckers who are disgusting and/or assholes.

On a related note, after over 6 years at Amazon I finally found my first Amazon Piss Bottle today. :negative:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alkydere posted:

After doing some yard work today I suspect I have found the real reason Amazon is trying to replace contract drivers.

Not because it saves money, gives them more control and tracking, the ability to make sure fleet is actually maintained (unlike the truck that broke down at the inbound gate today, blocking everyone until they could get security to find their rear end from their elbow to open the second lane). I mean, all of that stuff is true BUT ALSO

It's because there is a very noticeable minority of truckers who are disgusting and/or assholes.

On a related note, after over 6 years at Amazon I finally found my first Amazon Piss Bottle today. :negative:

Was it yours?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hmm, that would have some sort of symmetry, wouldn't it?

No, some trucker had tossed it in the grass. The whole industry is rife with stuff like that since many contracts are by the mile, but they only have so many hours to earn said miles.

For reference I'm talking about truck drivers, not Last Mile people. LM drivers are being abused by Amazon and Amazon alone. CDL drivers are a different breed of people abused by an entire industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Was it just a few years ago that Amazon cut or tried to cut nearly all of their direct employees so they could spend less for contract drivers?